Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

On the 5 game membership concept how about releasing them early in the year (like either now or two rounds in) with the idea that it encourages people to take the low cost investment of a small membership. Then aim at getting these membership holders to early games (free ticket for a friend or something). Then once they've hit 2-3 games start pestering them to sign up for another 3 games or upgrade to a full membership. Keep repeating this until the end of the season or until they are proper members.

Its kind of like a weird quarterly payment plan. Could be a good way to turn the questionable into the committed, and would really benefit from strong early season form.

Good form full stop would increase membership

• Like 1

On the 5 game membership concept how about releasing them early in the year (like either now or two rounds in) with the idea that it encourages people to take the low cost investment of a small membership. Then aim at getting these membership holders to early games (free ticket for a friend or something). Then once they've hit 2-3 games start pestering them to sign up for another 3 games or upgrade to a full membership. Keep repeating this until the end of the season or until they are proper members.

Its kind of like a weird quarterly payment plan. Could be a good way to turn the questionable into the committed, and would really benefit from strong early season form.

Come on. It's not as if a season GA membership is expensive - adult $225, concession $135, teen $125. And you can pay monthly.

I'm not in favour of 5-game tickets except for, say, summer school holidays. In every other respect they just cost the club money and are an artificial way of making the numbers look better.

I know. Just putting out there another alternative.

People are stingy, and while $225 isn't much, it's still enough to make people reconsider. There are many who are holding out for the 5 game memberships, and there are many who are happy to miss half the season to do so. The idea with this is that you grab those people early, get them going to matches earlier and hopefully convince them that upgrading to a full membership is a good idea this season. I feel too much momentum is lost with the massive off season meaning 5 fans members are unmotivated to upgrade to a full membership the following season.

This is a way to really push them into signing up this year when early season momentum is there, and could otherwise mean these people buy three 5 game memberships over the course of a season through extensing theirs.

I think Heart should just continue to do it's utmost to motivate people to buy full memberships, rather than try to sell memberships to a lot of half-interested people who aren't yet keen Heart supporters. Heart can motivate people by continuing to build a competitive and exciting squad, by building a good club image (through community programs and so on) and by winning A-League matches regularly.

We can still sell 5 game memberships halfway through the season (or whenever they currently go on sale) and target these potential Heart supporters, but I don't think the club should do anymore than that. It would send a bad message to the many supporters who get the full season memberships, and it could inspire those season members to get these more casual memberships themselves.

The 5 game memberships remind us that there are a lot of potential Heart supporters out there, but we shouldn't try to accommodate these supporters too much. Rather, the club just needs to keep up the hard work of persuading people to become full members (and as statistics in this thread show, season on season we are successfully turning more and more people into full Heart supporters, even if the growth isn't as quick as it could be).

Edited by Murfy1

This thread is one of the best I've seen. Congratulations and respect to those keeping their fingers on the pulse, watching the members tally grow, then exceed milestones, then grow again is very heartening (all heart puns intended too). The atmosphere at AAMI will only get louder and therefore the club shall grow too. Once again, cheers to all of those involved on a stellar effort.

• Like 3

This thread is one of the best I've seen. Congratulations and respect to those keeping their fingers on the pulse, watching the members tally grow, then exceed milestones, then grow again is very heartening (all heart puns intended too). The atmosphere at AAMI will only get louder and therefore the club shall grow too. Once again, cheers to all of those involved on a stellar effort.

What I find most interesting is that so many people are saying Heart should fold; yet atm we have more memberships than Perth and Adelaide (Perth 4,394 and Adelaide 4,069) who have had success and have been around for 15 and 10 years respectively. AND in front of Central Coast  (Lots of success) and Wellington (well they are shite) and only a few hundred behind Brisbane (Significant success). 

Based on their logic pretty much half the league should fold  :droy:

THIS!

Our numbers aren't even bad, we're in it for the long haul.

What I find most interesting is that so many people are saying Heart should fold; yet atm we have more memberships than Perth and Adelaide (Perth 4,394 and Adelaide 4,069) who have had success and have been around for 15 and 10 years respectively. AND in front of Central Coast (Lots of success) and Wellington (well they are shite) and only a few hundred behind Brisbane (Significant success).

Based on their logic pretty much half the league should fold :droy:

You'll find that 99% of voices calling for heart to fold are the blue scum wearing fuck off heart scarfs.

Afraid to have some competition in this city.

Retarder morons don't understand what it means to the whole comp to have rivalry and pumped up derby games

Small minds, small thinking = mvfc

• Like 4

Can someone please display the memeberships at present for all the A-league teams?

Adelaide - 4,069

Brisbane - 5,000

Central Coast - 4,395

Heart - 4,788

Newcastle - 8,000

Perth - 4,394

Sydney - 8,016

Victory - 18,012

Wellington - 3,000

West Sydney - 15,408

Brisbane rounds up their figures-it was 4000 two weeks ago, now 5000.  Might be less,might be more.  Anyway they're not much more than us.

The Jest are heavily subsidised tickets ie  cheap.  I'd guess they would not be getting 8000 full price members.

It really is phenomenal that we get the members we do given our lack of on pitch success, and just confirms how much bigger we would be if we actually won some thing.

Can someone please display the memeberships at present for all the A-league teams?

Adelaide - 4,069

Brisbane - 5,000

Central Coast - 4,395

Heart - 4,788

Newcastle - 8,000

Perth - 4,394

Sydney - 8,016

Victory - 18,012

Wellington - 3,000

West Sydney - 15,408

Brisbane rounds up their figures-it was 4000 two weeks ago, now 5000.  Might be less,might be more.  Anyway they're not much more than us.

The Jest are heavily subsidised tickets ie  cheap.  I'd guess they would not be getting 8000 full price members.

It really is phenomenal that we get the members we do given our lack of on pitch success, and just confirms how much bigger we would be if we actually won some thing.

Or imagine our tickets were subsidised like the Jets!

Or imagine we got two free GA tickets with our memberships (whatever category), how many more supporters/fence-sitters/sceptics could come to the game and eventually be converted to members!

3,300 August  16th Vs 3800 (+15.15%)

3,650 August  30th Vs 4272 (+17.04%)

4,000 Sept.     12th Vs 4618 (+15.45%)

4,750 October 4th (day before round 1)

5,500 Nov.       14th

5,850 Nov.       29th (5 game memberships came out)

6,025 Dec.       18th

Just added some more dates. Hopefully we pass them all by a lot this season.

If we can hit last year's Nov 14th figure of 5,500 by October 12th (Round 1) it'd be a fantastic result. And with a win over the Visitards and a few wins at the start of the season, once the 5 game memberships come out we could be looking at 7,000 members by the 18th of December, which would be a 16% jump on last year's 6,025!  :D

We should set our sights much, much higher instead of being satisfied with what I believe are mediocre membership numbers.

There are only two professional A League teams in Melbourne competing for members compared with nine professional Melbourne AFL teams plus Geelong.

Look at the AFL membership numbers.

Collingwood - 78,259
Hawthorn - 63,021 
Richmond - 60,500 
Essendon - 56,187 
Carlton - 50,561 
Geelong - 42,900
North Melb - 35,135 
St. Kilda - 32,630
Melbourne - 33,106
Western B - 30.204

So let's put our membership numbers into perspective and stop cheering a few thousand. 

Edited by Parrot