Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Bas van den Brink (ex-Perth) is back in Holland and is currently a free agent. He'll turn 31 just before next season.

Good player, but would we want to have 3 visa spots taken up by defensive players?

I think there's some good australian defenders out there with experience that we should have a look at before using visa spots on another defender.

It's the midfield we need to fix. Defence was fine last year. Get a dominant dm a good am and a marquee striker.

correct.  we conceded less goals in comparison to sydney, wellington, newcastle, and our neighbours.  i.e. 31 goals for, 40 against MHFC, deficit of 9 goals.  Therefore, simple math suggests we need to fix our attacking midfielders supplying our strikers.  fix the midfield, employ a stronger striker, majority of our problems can be solved. 

This is what I expect the new candidate for the new Heart job to do, crunch stats daily, identify each players strengths (i.e. Willo, Duga, Ramsay are fast wingers), and provide coaching staff with valuable insight in order make decisions that win games!!  No great manager does it alone, JA should be demanding more support staff.  Come on Heart, time to turn PRO............

Edited by Pandev

How much will he be asking? With Paddy G and Vranks as the starting pair, there would have to be better and cheaper options out there.

It would be good to see PaddyG as our holding mid and an experienced organising CB signed to be paired with Vranks. 

Agreed. Bas van den Brink ticks all the boxes. If Babalj has gone we need to focus on signing a top quality striker who will net 10+ goals next season from open play, as well as a genuine left winger as Williams is far too inconsistent if we ever plan on having a genuine tilt at the title.

Redders

Walker - VDB - Vrankovic - Ramsey

Germano - Gerhardt

Dugandzic - Garcia - Gol Gol

Babalj

We have the core of a good team, just need to bring in a few quality players and leaders into the squad.

I would just like to clarify that our defense was most definitely NOT "fine" last season.

I agree however our midfeild as well as our strikers were a lot worse last season. The only change in the back should be Vrankovic in for Colissimo.

Maybe even sign another back man and push Gerdhart in the midfield?

I would just like to clarify that our defense was most definitely NOT "fine" last season.

I agree however our midfeild as well as our strikers were a lot worse last season. The only change in the back should be Vrankovic in for Colissimo.

Maybe even sign another back man and push Gerdhart in the midfield?

Let me clarify fine. I ment that it was probably out best preformed area considering how shite our midfield was. Paddy g to mid might be a good move as all his fouling would be higher up the park :P

Gerhardt and Walkers performances were the highlight for our defence after Aziz and Marrone left. We can thank Paddy for keeping our goals conceded tally at a respectable level, the amount of last ditch tackles and blocks he put in was astounding, mainly saving Colosimo's arse when he continually dived into tackles around the box.

Vranks looked good in patches, but he was in and out of the team when he needed to be regualarly playing alongside Paddy. He has all the attributes of a quality CB and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet and can hit a target with a pass. Hopefully JA perseveres with him next season as the kid has a big future, particulary if he can pick up a few things of Foxey.

• Like 1

I was thinking of McBreen when I read this morning that CCM hadn't renewed his contract.

Cassio sounds as if he is on his way to Sydney according to TWG website adding, ”The way things are going in Adelaide is not really good.” After Galekovic's comments a few weeks ago, it sounds as if there could be a few quality players desiring a move.

I was thinking of McBreen when I read this morning that CCM hadn't renewed his contract.

Cassio sounds as if he is on his way to Sydney according to TWG website adding, ”The way things are going in Adelaide is not really good.” After Galekovic's comments a few weeks ago, it sounds as if there could be a few quality players desiring a move.

He WILL get a contract at CCM if he wants it.

I heard he made adeal with Arnold that if he scored 13 or so goal or something silly he got a new deal (this seemed unlikely) but he smashed that, 

Was in the media i think leading up to the time he scored it, anyone else hear this?

10 Goals and he got a new contract was the figure Arnold quoted, not sure if it was a serious arrangement though.

FWIW, as you have said, Arnold said that if McBreen got 10 goals he would be offered a new contact. This was when McBreen was on around 8 goals. The 10 goal target was met some time ago and now McBreen is the one asking for a contract.

Fred also said he had been told he would get a contract at the end of the season, and well...

Having said all this, McBreen doesn't fit the mould of striker Heart has said it wants, young, fast and mobile. However, he scores goals.