Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

john carew would be alright.

just quietly has anyone actually SEEN richard porta play? he's done well over in sth america but the standard of football isn't great. Shall I assume you have watched a lot of South American football? I personally have not though his record in Uruguay was outstanding, and as far as available strikers that are affordable and realistically a chance of playing for us he is right up there.

just quietly has anyone actually SEEN richard porta play? he's done well over in sth america but the standard of football isn't great. Shall I assume you have watched a lot of South American football? I personally have not though his record in Uruguay was outstanding, and as far as available strikers that are affordable and realistically a chance of playing for us he is right up there.

My Argentinian housemate never thought much of his clubs when i mentioned this to him when he was in teh news a couple of months back. 

does anyone else who heard JD on soccer stoppage time get the impression that we may not sign another play at all?

Not at all, he said we have two spots left and he explicitly said they were deffinitly looking for one maybe two. Then emphasised the visa spot we still have left. Id take from that we are looking for a visa player and no doubt have targets, which they have said in the past they have a few names they are after.

I think you may have got that impression because he really issnt a strong 'media preformer' Munn has been very strong on the South Melb bid and im getting the sense its South Melbourne putting out rumors to build some momentum which they dont have to try and maybe force the issue.

also, could south melbourne just fuck off please

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 4

Sorry to have to rehash it, but if that's the case, it doesn't make sense why we wouldnt just re-sign Ritchie-Fucking-Garcia and save ourself the trouble of gambling on a VISA player, who MIGHT pay-off, whilst gifting your rivals with a proven talent...

He gives us an abundance of options in the attacking 3rd, allowing us the flexibility to try several combinations up front, utilising all the star power we have there already too.

Edited by LR9

We've already got a huge amount of attacking players, without having a glut of out and out strikers, Garcia would only add to the log jam involving Duganzic, Williams, Kewell, Garrucio, Mauk, Ramsay and Golgol, realistically, those boys are going to have to fit into three spots, I don't think Garcia is what we need.

Sorry to have to rehash it, but if that's the case, it doesn't make sense why we wouldnt just re-sign Ritchie-Fucking-Garcia and save ourself the trouble of gambling on a VISA player, who MIGHT pay-off, whilst gifting your rivals with a proven talent...

He gives us an abundance of options in the attacking 3rd, allowing us the flexibility to try several combinations up front, utilising all the star power we have there already too.

part of the challenge that i see with the squad going into round 1 is that we have only one out and out forward / front man in DMac.  

Kewell can play there (but would leave a big hole in the number 10 position), whist Williams and - to a lesser extent - a couple of others (Mebrahtu and Dugandzic) could possibly acquit themselves al-right if needed.  the problem is that they are mostly short term solutions.  

i can't see Garcia being the one to lead the line (much better playing from in behind) and has stated a preference for playing in  wider position.  either way, i can't see him playing up front or directly in behind Kewell.  

the way i see the club needs to sign a player that has a general preference for playing in central attacking positions.  by all means if he can play wide a bit too then all the better, but the club needs a player who can lead the line OR play so well in behind that Kewell can be pushed forward.

Edited by mattyh001

Richie did play as striker against Germany at wc 2006 I seem to recall, not that that panned out too well. I seem to remember that shortly after we signed Williams the club suggested that the longer term view was for him to play as a striker but that he wasn't ready for it yet so he'd play in the wing. Could well be the time to try that out.

• Like 2

Richie did play as striker against Germany at wc 2006 I seem to recall, not that that panned out too well. I seem to remember that shortly after we signed Williams the club suggested that the longer term view was for him to play as a striker but that he wasn't ready for it yet so he'd play in the wing. Could well be the time to try that out.

It was 2010 and I remember Pim getting absolutely blasted for just that decision alone, let alone the rest of the debacle that was that game  :P

I've always seen potential in Willo as a striker, now's as good a time as ever to realise that potential with the abundance of wingers we now have.

just quietly has anyone actually SEEN richard porta play? he's done well over in sth america but the standard of football isn't great.

Going to preface this by saying that i haven't seen him play, but I really think that the standard of domestic leagues in South America is significantly better than the A-League, if at least comparable. Nacional and River Plate aren't small clubs at all..

Maybe its simply a new "No Dickheads" policy...

Has been seen to be successful for many different types of teams, groups and organisations in the past.

just quietly has anyone actually SEEN richard porta play? he's done well over in sth america but the standard of football isn't great.

Going to preface this by saying that i haven't seen him play, but I really think that the standard of domestic leagues in South America is significantly better than the A-League, if at least comparable. Nacional and River Plate aren't small clubs at all..

You may be right. I can only base on hearsay but whenever I see the name come up inevitably come up I can't help but wonder if he's all he's hyped up to be - the Australian national team doesn't seem to think so (not that their track record is great of late)

Has been seen to be successful for many different types of teams, groups and organisations in the past.

You're all class, pal.

Stay cheap mate. :up:You still never explained why an exception was made for you, princess.
  • Like 1

Give it a rest, Cad.

• Like 1

In today's Age:

Melbourne Heart is still looking to sign a striker to boost its firepower.

Rumours have linked the club with young Australian forward Brent McGrath, who is a free agent after his four-year spell in Denmark with Brondby came to an end.

Heart football manager John Didulica confirmed the club had spoken to McGrath - who made a solitary appearance for the Socceroos off the bench in the 2-1 friendly victory over Germany - during the European off season but nothing had come of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/palace-ups-ante-in-bid-for-milligan-20130814-2rwvk.html

• 2 weeks later...

Luke Moore released by Swansea. Can't see him getting a gig at another Premiership team, but would absolutely tear up A-League defenders.

According to wiki (yes always that accurate) signed a 3 year contract with Turkish club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2401041/Luke-Moore-joins-Turkish-club-Elazigspor-leaving-Swansea-mutual-consent.htm

Players seek A-League lifeline

Michael Lynch 25 August 2013

[...]

At the other end of the scale is a player such as striker Brent McGrath, trialling with Thompson's old club, Heart. The 22-year-old, who has represented the Socceroos once (he came off the bench in the 2-1 win over Germany two years ago), has come home to reboot his career after finishing with Danish side Brondby, for which he signed as a professional in 2010. McGrath arrived last week, and if things work out he would be a decent capture for the Melbourne side as it looks to add to its forward stocks.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/players-seek-aleague-lifeline-20130824-2sire.html?

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

David Healy, Northern Ireland's record goalscorer, said around 2 weeks ago that he got a 'concrete offer' from an Australian club (along with other offers):

“There have been concrete offers from teams in South Africa, Iceland, Norway, America and Australia, but I have got a young family and it is a case of wanting to get them settled,” he said.

“It is something that does not really appeal to me at the moment, unless there was an offer where I went to a country or a club and thought it would be the perfect opportunity.

“As the new season has kicked off players unfortunately get injured and managers look at their squad and may think they are a little bit thin.

“Hopefully they may look to bring some experience in and when the right offer comes about for me I will grab it and try to have a better season than I had last year.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/331316/EXCLUSIVE-Former-Manchester-United-striker-David-Healy-still-wants-international-future

Was there another European striker who also recently said he received an offer from Australia?

Edited by Murfy1

Players seek A-League lifeline

Michael Lynch 25 August 2013

[...]

At the other end of the scale is a player such as striker Brent McGrath, trialling with Thompson's old club, Heart. The 22-year-old, who has represented the Socceroos once (he came off the bench in the 2-1 win over Germany two years ago), has come home to reboot his career after finishing with Danish side Brondby, for which he signed as a professional in 2010. McGrath arrived last week, and if things work out he would be a decent capture for the Melbourne side as it looks to add to its forward stocks.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/players-seek-aleague-lifeline-20130824-2sire.html?

Seems Lynch is the only one carrying this story.

I reckon McGrath could be good for us. He was prolific in the Danish U-19 league but hasn't had that much game time since.

I was thinking of Tommasso Rocchi. Information is around 3 weeks old:

[Rocchi] confirmed he has had a concrete offer from Padova and there are rumours that offers could be on the table from Dubai, Malaysia and Australia.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/08/rocchi-reveals-nobody-wants-him/

Of foreign interest, Rocchi said: “I don’t confirm or deny it. Negotiations are under the table. These [Dubai and Malaysia] are the situations that have come out, such as Australia, but I will make an assessment for myself and calmly.

“Before giving the okay, I have to really think. It would mean giving up this level of football, but would also offer experience and the chance to make a reputation in a different land.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/dubai-could-find-room-for-tommaso-rocchi-1.1215354

Edited by Murfy1