Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

with the quality of players we had on the park I the attacking third, it's disappointing that we didn't really test them near as much as we should've

I can't even remember stringing a few passes together to allow villa/Duff to run at their defenders in a dangerous position

the terrible stat was that at halftime our passes complete percentage was only 69%, and that was our good half

CFG gave the people already at the club a chance to prove themselves. It would appear that the non-football area has done well in that we have over 10K members and a definite buzz surrounding the club, although massive points lost over the Villa debacle ...

In terms of the football department / recruiting, etc, this area of the club is being sorely found at due to inheriting JA's long terms signings / salary cap implications, bizarre contract extensions last season, and not strengthening our defence as a priority. This forum has discussed to death the fact that we have an abundance of midfielders / wingers, but only one defender who would walk into any other A-League team in Paddy. No full backs and below par GKs will be our undoing this season and the club will suffer for it, and I would not be suprised if heads roll in the future (JVS & JD would be feeling a little nervous at present).

CFG would have seen how far behind the Visitors we really are on the weekend and hopefully they have had a shock to the system, and are keen to work hard to make us the no 1 team in Victoria, let alone Asia.

The sooner CFG can work out how to make best use of its seemingly unlimited resources in the context of Melbourne City and the A-League, in a strategic, layered manner across all facets of what makes a successful football club, the sooner we will be back on the right path. At present, we are miles off.

Meanwhile, us loyal supporters will continue to suffer and point out the obvious, whilst having to watch us lose games by being attacked out wide on the counter, or through GK brain fades, all the time having to hear JA's special comments on Fox ...

As a start, I'd like to see the following ...

Vierra to come to observe JVS and his team first hand for 4 matches

Ramsay / and Redders loned out to a league 2 club in England, who pays part of their salary ... surely CFG can make something like this happen, maybe in exchange for a new gym or pitch upgrade ...

Our Aussie marquee spot to go to Schwarzer or Federici or Jones

Germano sacked or loaned out and replaced with a new quality visa LB

Re-sign Walker, or find another young right back from somewhere who is a natural in the position, not a striker converted to a full back - Hoff stays as back up and could be a good bench player as he can slot into a few different positions.

Persist with Williams, Marino, Duga, etc up front

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

What I wonder is :

• who decided we should persist with our 2 keepers and why?
  • who decided we wouldn't sign (or even trial) a left back?

To me, despite all the pre-season hype, it was pretty obvious that with the worst goal keeper and worst left back in the league we would be throwing away points on a regular basis and it was laughable for us to be "title favourites".  I still think mid table will be a good result with those 2 weaknesses.

Now if those above decisions were forced on us by the salary cap, well OK, but I still think we could have tweaked things better (like using every last cent getting a visa left back for instance).  if those decisions were made because we thought we had capable players then whoever thought that has to go.

While i am at, we have a long list of "sack" threads but to me the first guy to go should be the goalie coach.

• Like 2

What I wonder is :

To me, despite all the pre-season hype, it was pretty obvious that with the worst goal keeper and worst left back in the league we would be throwing away points on a regular basis and it was laughable for us to be "title favourites".  I still think mid table will be a good result with those 2 weaknesses.

Now if those above decisions were forced on us by the salary cap, well OK, but I still think we could have tweaked things better (like using every last cent getting a visa left back for instance).  if those decisions were made because we thought we had capable players then whoever thought that has to go.

While i am at, we have a long list of "sack" threads but to me the first guy to go should be the goalie coach.

We did Trial Tom King if you count that...

What I wonder is :

No I don't count that.

We played Tom as a centre back when he trialled, so we obviously didn't consider him a fullback.  (I assumed he was therefore like Curtis Good, a left footed centre back, in England, where they seem to like "book end" fullbacks he might play there, but not in Oz and not for a Dutch manager when we want a fullback to overlap.)

What I wonder is :

No I don't count that.

We played Tom as a centre back when he trialled, so we obviously didn't consider him a fullback.  (I assumed he was therefore like Curtis Good, a left footed centre back, in England, where they seem to like "book end" fullbacks he might play there, but not in Oz and not for a Dutch manager when we want a fullback to overlap.)

Ah okay didn't realize he played Centre Back for us in the trial it is almost unfathomable that they didn't trail one player at left back.

I can think of one player we could pay a pittance for at a left back and that is Kevin Mellor. He was released at the end of last season by Crewe Alexandra and he doesn't have a club at the moment.

Though whether he would be up to the standard is questionable considering Crewe conceded the most goals in League One last year. Having been a keen observer of Crewe however most of the goals were caused by poor goalkeeping and two horrid defensive midfielders. He is fairly defensive but can get forward just enough to work in our formation (which Crewe play) he played a big role in getting us a mid table finish the season before last. He would be an interesting get if we have next to nothing left in the salary cap.

How the media is seeing things:

Great expectations a burden City's lesser lights must shoulder

November 1, 2014

Michael Lynch

It's not as if Melbourne City is playing badly, like a struggling bottom of the table team. Not most of the time, anyway.

City has looked threatening, dominated games at times and played some good football. It simply has not concentrated  for 90 minutes, which has led to sloppy mistakes. Nor have the players made the most of their periods in the ascendency, critical failings for a team that expects to be battling for honours at season's end.

As a result John Van 't Schip's side is languishing near the foot of the A-League ladder after four games with just two points out of 12 and a goal difference of minus four.

Good teams don't usually make such poor starts, and good teams are able to concentrate fully for the hour and a half and, when necessary, "win ugly". City has yet to show it is capable of that this campaign.

It's hardly where their fans - old Heart supporters and newcomers attracted by the glitz of new owners, Manchester City - expected them to be.

But if we strip away the hype and fervent expectation, particularly that generated by the arrival of Spanish superstar David Villa, is it that surprising that they are not dominating, as some expected them to do?

Yes, they have a couple of high-profile additions on the team sheet, notably Villa, although his guest stint now looks highly likely to be the four games he has appeared in rather than the 10 he was promised for.

Damien Duff, the Premier League title winner with Chelsea, and experienced Slovenian international and Premier League  midfielder Robert Koren are the other two significant  new names on the Latrobe based club's teamsheet.

Van 't Schip has also brought in Erik Paartalu, the ex-Brisbane holding midfielder, to add support to the defence and stiffen the centre of the park, and Aaron Mooy, the former West Sydney Wanderers midfielder, to provide some energy and creativity. He also signed young former Newcastle defender Conor Chapman and James Brown, from the same club.

The rest of the squad basically remains similar to the team that, when all is said and done, finished bottom of the league last season, failing to win in its last six matches after a horror start where it didn't it take three points until midway through the campaign.

Van 't Schip has been unlucky with injuries to Koren in particular, who has not kicked a ball in anger all season, and is unlikely to return until December at the earliest. And even then he will need a couple of games to get to match sharpness.

Villa's contribution has been mixed. On the field he has looked classes above his teammates (with the exception of Duff) but City players simply have not been able to get the ball out to him enough.

Whenever he had the ball at his feet he was dangerous - never more so than on Friday night, when he ran at Adelaide defenders and went close himself as well as setting up chances for his teammates.

But all too often he cut a forlorn figure, waving his arm in space, calling for a pass that his teammates either didn't have the vision to spot or the technique to execute.

On the field Villa's contribution has been acceptable, although his impact proves that you can have one of the world's greatest players but on his own he cannot lift a team to success unless his colleagues are on his wavelength.

Should he not return from his break in New York some of City's newer fans - those who bought memberships on the basis that he would complete his 10-game stint - might feel dudded, and it's hard not to sympathise.

Did City make the most of his presence? They have been criticised for not parading him around and using him as a billboard for the club, to be fair to them they always insisted that he was here for footballing reasons, not marketing ones, and his job was to make a contribution to City while he got fit for his next challenge, his time in the MLS with New York City.

There was, however, criticism of the way he left the field on Friday night with little acknowledgment to the supporters.

Perhaps he was so frustrated and fed up with the way the game had gone that he couldn't be bothered: it might seem rude, but that kind of ultra competitiveness is in the DNA of high sporting achievers such as Villa and it may well have been simply that character trait that saw him depart in that manner.

It's also likely that having had such a short period with the club he didn't really feel that much affiliation with the fans.

The City Football Group's hierarchy was on hand to watch this game having come from Manchester to spend several days running the rule over their latest acquisition.

What would they have made of it?

They are all professionals, and while they would have wanted a better start they are realists and know that instant success was highly unlikely.

It is far too early to say that Van 't Schip is under pressure - or at least nothing more than the usual pressure all coaches face every week.

But he knows that he needs to turn things around sooner rather than later.

Villa is gone now and he must hope Koren can come back and do the sort of job that is expected.

Paartalu is an experienced player but has not added - yet - the kind of grit and toughness he was expected to bring.

Mooy is a player of some talent, but he wasn't getting regular game time at West Sydney and Tony Popovic was prepared to let him leave. He does some very nice things, and plays with energy, but then makes some silly mistakes and gives up the ball in promising situations.

Van 't Schip has talked about his side struggling to cope with the mental pressure of meeting higher expectations. But playing at the top and coping with greater demands and expectations is part of being a top professional.

The coach can help them, but only up to a point. They have to rise to that challenge themselves. Otherwise this could be a long season.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/great-expectations-a-burden-citys-lesser-lights-must-shoulder-20141101-11fdvb.html

Can’t disagree with anything that was said in the video, essentially questions the manager, the ability of the manager to get the best out of his players, the recruitment of the types of players and generally the overall culture of the club on and off the pitch since inception, which pretty much points the finger at those at senior level.

Hopefully more journalists and media people begin to seriously question the club because lord knows these issues haven’t been addressed over the last few years, and hopefully CFG are paying attention to the massive scope of change required at this club.

• Like 1

Can’t disagree with anything that was said in the video, essentially questions the manager, the ability of the manager to get the best out of his players, the recruitment of the types of players and generally the overall culture of the club on and off the pitch since inception, which pretty much points the finger at those at senior level.

Hopefully more journalists and media people begin to seriously question the club because lord knows these issues haven’t been addressed over the last few years, and hopefully CFG are paying attention to the massive scope of change required at this club.

Completely agree. It was the complete shambles over David Villa's four-match stint with us that finally put the media's collective nose out of joint to the degree that they have at last started to ask the right questions. It's taken far too long for that to happen - we must have been asking those questions for several seasons. It may well be that various people in the management team have done nothing particularly wrong, but that's not the issue here. They just haven't done enough that's right, and that's why we are floundering in this our fifth season just as we have in every previous season. There has to be wholesale change if we are ever to be a successful football club.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

It's kind of comforting to know that prominent football people are finally waking up and smelling the shit-stained roses over here at our club, this crap has been going on for far too long and it needs to be addressed.

Well yes, but honestly even with our big problems right now, things are still heaps better than under Aloisi (the 52465th best coach in Melbourne).  Where was all this then?

I guess I'm happy they seem to be waking up, but am still bitter the way that they protected their mate and even criticised us for daring to want better.

• Like 2

Brilliant. Finally someone has come out and said it. We all know that the team is unbalanced and has some fairly major deficiencies in the back line but, as in all companies, the culture and enthusiasm for the organisation comes from the top. Until we get committed and vibrant people there we cannot expect the "workers" to look at this as any more than a 9-5 job and not put in that extra something that makes the difference between performers and non performers.

According to the AAMI Park instagram account the turf @ AAMI Park is currently being torn up and replaced.

I remember seeing somewhere that after the monster trucks they would lay a new surface. So if they get this done in a week the people incharge of Hunter stadium might want to take note

Watching some EPL games on the weekend I noticed that the ball stops more quickly than on our pitches. Now it might be A-League players just over-hitting their passes, but we seem to see far more passes going over the goal line,as the ball just seems to keep going, especially in day games.  Wonder if its the grass type, or the firmness of the ground, or the grass height?

• Like 1

They stopped watering the pitch prior to kick off.  Why is that?

Its hard to say.

I wonder of we have any groundsmen who can prepare football pitches beyond the "make it flat and even" requirements.  As I said earlier, overseas, the ball might take 3 bounces but then just slows down to a stop.  Here its just keeps going.

it will be interesting to see how the Asians play on AAMI ,as they tend to be better technically.  We might then be able to say well, our players are just poor, or yeah its the pitch.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

They stopped watering the pitch prior to kick off.  Why is that?

from what ive seen, they havent stopped this at all. all home games ive been to ive seen it and when i watch on the tv, i usually see it being watered just before kick off.

vs Newcastle it didn't get watered. They usually do it just as the players leave the pitch - and two groundsmen walk behind with a bucket of soil.

But i have not seen this as yet.

newcastle was done earlier, before the players came out for their final warmups. usual practice is after the final warmup but i believe the newcastle game was done due to the monster trucks.

Watching some EPL games on the weekend I noticed that the ball stops more quickly than on our pitches. Now it might be A-League players just over-hitting their passes, but we seem to see far more passes going over the goal line,as the ball just seems to keep going, especially in day games. Wonder if its the grass type, or the firmness of the ground, or the grass height?

Playing in an Australian summer, our grounds are going to be harder than pitches for an English winter. Just like our cricket wickets have "bounce and carry" the same is true of football . Not even a genius groundskeeper could replicate English conditions here in summer, regardless of how hard they went with the sprinklers.

I liked this line too:

"But it was the Roar which looked out of ideas by full-time – much to the disappointment of the largely gutted 17,131-strong Suncorp Stadium crowd." http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-match-report/no-villa-but-city-roars-to-notch-win-20141108-11j7pu.html

Always knew those maroons ate too much...

On a different note...ABC Radio News on 774 at 09.00 this morning carried a report of the match, including reference to our goalscorers by name and a 20-second sound bite from JvS.