Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

I just dont get the easy cop out of blaming the training base, You're a professional footballer, with the opportunity of a life time, that many many others would love, and all you want to do is blame your poor form as a team, in which you arnt contributing greatly to either, and attribute it to moving around training locations. Give me a spell 

I agree. On its own, the lack of facilities can't fully excuse the poor season. But still it was a very unrespectable state of affairs, and IMO it would have significantly have hampered efforts to give the club a professional culture, given the team's nomadic moving between multiple training bases like Epping stadium and Trinity Grammar School Bulleen, sometimes in the same week.

All up though, the lack of resources, as seen with the 'ice baths' and especially the lack of a single fixed training base, coupled with Sidwell and co. plus Aloisi was always going to = failure. 

• Like 2

What, its taken them five seasons to work that out?

Geez all they needed to do was come to this forum about 2 years ago, and we could have told them the losing mentality is all pervasive at the club.  For free.

IMO I don't than you can change people, but you can change the people.  In that regard there are still too many old faces there that need to be changed.

I reckon it's been largely known by club personnel what was wrong with Melbourne Heart for a while, that there was a bad culture/mentality, low standards, lack of resources, etc etc. But it's taken a long time for club staff to acknowledge these wrongs in public, and I don't think club staff would have acknowledged these serious problems publicly if the takeover didn't take place. So IMO only because the Man City takeover happened have Gerhardt last season, and the players above recently publicly acknowledged the serious cultural problems that held Melbourne Heart back. Which is all fair enough IMO, as It would have been pretty destructive for a club to have its players come out and publicly declare that the "players accepted results that they shouldn't have", that there was pervasive "cultural problems" and that "pride didn't exist" when the players were playing for the team, and so on.

I'm tipping a few players to come good and show significant improvement on last season's performances, and maybe justify that they should stay at the club. But I agree that a number of players probably won't end up justifying that they are good enough to live up to City's higher standards, perhaps because bad habits became too ingrained during their time in Heart's ultimately unsuccessful teams. 

• Like 2

I just dont get the easy cop out of blaming the training base, You're a professional footballer, with the opportunity of a life time, that many many others would love, and all you want to do is blame your poor form as a team, in which you arnt contributing greatly to either, and attribute it to moving around training locations. Give me a spell 

I completely agree. Murdocca and Hoffman ought to be ashamed of themselves for expressing the views that they have. It's a bad workman who blames his tools. A professional, whether in football  or in any other form of human endeavour, gets on with the job and makes the best of things in the worst of circumstances.

Murf, you're the perennial optimist old son. All I can say of the "club personnel" at Melbourne Heart who apparently have taken four seasons to work out that there's been something wrong with the culture at the club is that they must be as thick as bricks. It took supporters of the fledgling club less than half the first season to do that.

And I'm afraid that old "lack of resources" label just does not apply any more. I happen to believe that it never has, but even if it applied once did it certainly does not apply now. It's long past the time when we should have stopped using it as an excuse.

• Like 2

I completely agree. Murdocca and Hoffman ought to be ashamed of themselves for expressing the views that they have. It's a bad workman who blames his tools. A professional, whether in football  or in any other form of human endeavour, gets on with the job and makes the best of things in the worst of circumstances.

Murf, you're the perennial optimist old son. All I can say of the "club personnel" at Melbourne Heart who apparently have taken four seasons to work out that there's been something wrong with the culture at the club is that they must be as thick as bricks. It took supporters of the fledgling club less than half the first season to do that.

And I'm afraid that old "lack of resources" label just does not apply any more. I happen to believe that it never has, but even if it applied once did it certainly does not apply now. It's long past the time when we should have stopped using it as an excuse.

Resources are a factor. You will never win a formula one race if you are driving a mini. But that is still no excuse to stop trying. You just need to be more creative and try to figure out the best way to utilise what you have even if it's not ideal. Even if it doesn't work, it's better than throwing your hands up and saying I don't have what I want so it's not my fault. Having to stretch limited resources is part of life in the a-league.

Anyway. That's all over now. No excuses anymore.

• Like 4

I agree JW.

Any play who makes an admission like that would be out on their arse or training by themselves if this were Brisbane or the Visitors.

Disgraceful.

I agree JW.

Any play who makes an admission like that would be out on their arse or training by themselves if this were Brisbane or the Visitors.

Disgraceful.

I agree also. Right now they need to shut up about last season e.g lack of enthusiasm bad culture and so on. And start talking about this season and putting some better results on the board early cause as a supporter i couldn't handle another shit start to the season.

I agree JW.

Disgraceful.

I agree also. Right now they need to shut up about last season e.g lack of enthusiasm bad culture and so on. And start talking about this season and putting some better results on the board early cause as a supporter i couldn't handle another shit start to the season.

It's very easy to make arguments and statements like ' they should just get on with it' and 'how dare they think that' sitting in your chair at home behind a keyboard. I appreciate their honesty and I highly doubt anyone else in their position wouldn't feel the same way.

I agree JW.

Disgraceful.  

It's very easy to make arguments and statements like ' they should just get on with it' and 'how dare they think that' sitting in your chair at home behind a keyboard. I appreciate their honesty and I highly doubt anyone else in their position wouldn't feel the same way.

Actually to be fair to us sitting behind our keyboard, last season was a huge disappointment. Yes we were unlucky and copped injuries early. However the biggest disappointment was the lack of accountability from players and mostly coaching staff. I don't know how good your memory is but I lost count at how many times Aliosi assured us we were playing good and we were little unlucky in games. He fed us this garbage for weeks and as fans we just took it on the chin and still turned up for matches. And now for players to give us excuses that standards were low that there was no motivation is rather annoying as we could clearly see that last year. That season is gone and so should the excuses as too why it was bad. You want to make excuses for last year then put them in the form of wins this year because right now that is all that matters as a supporter.  

• Like 4

"Last year, that pride just didn't exist and that probably showed on the field which is a sad thing, but that's the reality and we hope that never happens with any other A-League club ever again".

This comment makes me so angry at the players.

Yes, ironic that they asked us to pay up for that, and to '#Believe

• Like 1

yes the suffering supporter, we put up with lots, in the vain hope that our dreams will come true!

will we be having a similar discussion this time next year ?????

I really hope not, my expectations are not as high as some but I would defiantly be disappointed if we don't make finals. Considering A) We have two players that were playing Premier League last season B) A player who has won two a league championships C) a player who has played in the last two a league grand finals D) A player who won a la liga title last season (albeit for 10 games) E) still a quality Aussie marquee to come (who we all presume will be kennedy) F) Players like Williams, Duganzic, Kisnorbo, Garrucio, Mauk, Hoffman and Germano must now take the next step and be consistent quality a league players.

• Like 1

yes the suffering supporter, we put up with lots, in the vain hope that our dreams will come true!

will we be having a similar discussion this time next year ?????

I really hope not, my expectations are not as high as some but I would defiantly be disappointed if we don't make finals. Considering A) We have two players that were playing Premier League last season B) A player who has won two a league championships C) a player who has played in the last two a league grand finals D) A player who won a la liga title last season (albeit for 10 games) E) still a quality Aussie marquee to come (who we all presume will be kennedy) F) Players like Williams, Duganzic, Kisnorbo, Garrucio, Mauk, Hoffman and Germano must now take the next step and be consistent quality a league players.

Yeah there was a comment in one of the interviews suggesting that we intend to make one more signing. I would imagine that that would be the last visa signing (hopefully LB). Surely the aussie marquee position will be used in the Jan transfer window since Kennedy clearly wants to finish his contract at Nagoya first and since the A League goes on break for the Asia Cup in January anyway, then it seems the most likely outcome. 

And yeah our list is definitely too good to be finishing anywhere lower than 6th. On paper we are good enough to challenge for top 4 or 2, but since it's our first year and it takes time for new players to gel and changes to the club culture to become evident, I wouldn't be overly surprised if we finished 5th or 6th. 

In regards to those comments from Murdocca and Hoffman: Whatever. No excuses anymore.

If this team doesn't show significant improvement this year (from 26 points to 40+, as a minimum and being the best club in Melbourne), with the resources and players available, people will be jumping off next year as quickly as they jumped on this year.

I think a couple of us have said this before, JvS accumulated 21 points from his first 12 games to add to Aloisi's 4 points from his first 12 games. If we had JvS for the first 12 games too then we may have finished with 42 points...add the single point we got in our last three games to take us to 43 points and that would've seen us finish clear 2nd last season.

We may have got shit results in our friendlies against A-League opposition, but I have a good feeling about this season; there's no reason with all extra money, resources and players why we're not a shoe-in for a top two finish!

Yes we are good enough to be pushing for the top four positions. But I don't think it's more evident than with Man united at the moment that having great players is only one factor in a 'teams' success.

You are right. They have a top class side but dont seem to be able to get it together. Things quickly went to the shit after losing their incredibly good manager

Edited by KSK_47

I think a couple of us have said this before, JvS accumulated 21 points from his first 12 games to add to Aloisi's 4 points from his first 12 games. If we had JvS for the first 12 games too then we may have finished with 42 points...add the single point we got in our last three games to take us to 43 points and that would've seen us finish clear 2nd last season.

We may have got shit results in our friendlies against A-League opposition, but I have a good feeling about this season; there's no reason with all extra money, resources and players why we're not a shoe-in for a top two finish!

I think that you're conveniently forgetting that the final six matches of last season under JvS yielded just 2 points out of 18.

In my book JvS still has to demonstrate consistent positive results over a season before I am convinced by him.

• Like 1

I think that you're conveniently forgetting that the final six matches of last season under JvS yielded just 2 points out of 18.

In my book JvS still has to demonstrate consistent positive results over a season before I am convinced by him.

that poor form IMO was due to us being out of the finals race

This. I know that a lot of people on here think that I am a JVS hater- I am not. I just think that if we are going to import coaches to this league they must bring something that locals cant. JVS has yet to do this and if you look at his overall track record, it does not suggest that he has done anything spectacular elsewhere either. 

Excuses about squads, heat, caps, etc are redundant to me because that is something that all other coaches have to take into account and make adjustments for too. Hopefully he can find the magic that so many people seem to think he has in him, but I like to see proof before I #believe

This is such a piss poor excuse I wont even bother

Edited by KSK_47

This. I know that a lot of people on here think that I am a JVS hater- I am not. I just think that if we are going to import coaches to this league they must bring something that locals cant. JVS has yet to do this and if you look at his overall track record, it does not suggest that he has done anything spectacular elsewhere either. 

Excuses about squads, heat, caps, etc are redundant to me because that is something that all other coaches have to take into account and make adjustments for too. Hopefully he can find the magic that so many people seem to think he has in him, but I like to see proof before I #believe

i think that the end of the season says more about the players the it does about JVS. They showed no hunger to win becasue we were out of finals, which is quite concerning espacily if we get a good start to the season and they start taking it easy.

i think that the end of the season says more about the players the it does about JVS. They showed no hunger to win becasue we were out of finals, which is quite concerning espacily if we get a good start to the season and they start taking it easy.

Possibly. But its his job to kick their arses to ensure this doesnt happen. Can you imagine what would have happened if anyone did that under Alex Ferguson? They would be copping more than a boot to face thats for sure.

Possibly. But its his job to kick their arses to ensure this doesnt happen. Can you imagine what would have happened if anyone did that under Alex Ferguson? They would be copping more than a boot to face thats for sure.

Or even Arnie, Popa or Ange...

• Like 1

This is bullshit. Once we were out of the finals, surely we would still have some motivation to NOT finish last. Piss poor.

But we were NOT out of finals contention with six matches to go. Far from it. With 6 to go we lost 0-1 at Newcastle, and with 5 to go we drew 2-2 at home to Wellington. Both those sides finished bottom four. Worst of all we conceded an equalizer in the 93rd minute at Adelaide to draw 2-2, and Adelaide finished 6th. Turning those results around would have made a hell of a difference to the final table.

We had everything to play for in those final matches. It was a tame, piss poor finish to the season.

If there's a shred of evidence to say someone or other "showed no hunger to win" then they should never have set foot in the door at Heart/City again.

• Like 2

maybe thats whats been wrong with germano, he's been coping beatings all this time

• Like 1

Whatever your thoughts are on jvs and the past I think one thing we can agree on is they will be put to rest come this season and we will all see whether he is the man to take us forward. It's not the whole reason behind the lack of success but I personally don't think the conditions at the club while he was in charge were good enough to compete against the other clubs consistently throughout the whole season. But this season there will be no escaping poor results.

New owners, new attitude, some new quality players. Up to the coaching staff and players to put the jigsaw puzzle together and develop a cohesive and consistent team with a never say die approach. Anything less will be a repeat of previous seasons. All aspects of the club will be under the scrutiny in a way that wasn't there under the mediocrity that flourished during the reign of Sidwell et al.