Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

I read somewhere that SMFC may struggle to meet the criteria for the new top tier state competition and so they are trying to leapfrog it into the HAL. I'm not sure why they'd have problems though.

Yeah you would think they would be one of the teams to go the deepest into the new FFA cup.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why Melbourne heart put so much effort into Social media.

It honestly takes like 5 seconds to like a post on facebook or re-tweet something, why aren't we putting all this effort into trying to get new members?

The last few weeks has seen the MHFC FB Page clog my News Feed with an avalache of woeful questions - each worse than one before. :droy:

I assumed some COD Playing/Liverpool Kit wearing nerd had been hired by the club.

Edited by cadete

It honestly takes like 5 seconds to like a post on facebook or re-tweet something, why aren't we putting all this effort into trying to get new members?

The last few weeks has seen the MHFC FB Page clog my News Feed with an avalache of woeful questions - each worse than one before. :droy:

I assumed some COD Playing/Liverpool Kit wearing nerd had been hired by the club.

Was just about to say that, questions like 'who use to wear number 13!' :droy:

And now there having this caption competition: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-Caption-Competition/67218

Seriously WTF heart hq??

And now there having this caption competition: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-Caption-Competition/67218

Seriously WTF heart hq??

Couldn't agree more. Does anyone actually respond to these inane questions?

I want real news from the club, not this crap. Don't expect to be privy to negotiations or that sort of thing, but even a 'travelogue' from Aloisi and Foxe would be better than 'Who was the best player against Everton?'

• Like 2

Seriously WTF heart hq??

It's like the repeated beep from the ECG machine in Coronary Care, it lets you know that the patient is still alive

• Like 3

Just a small thing I noticed on twitter today. The Heart account tweeted the score of the Europa League final. Soon after that, someone asked them about early renewal for memberships and they didn't bother to respond. Surely memberships are more important and relevant to tweet about than a game that has nothing to do with us.

I know whoever is doing the Heart twitter and Facebook is probably really busy, but if that's the case, stop wasting time on irrelevant things and answer the important questions!

This!

It says it all.

Having a social media presence is important. Its difficult to get new members just after the season has finished.

After finding the below articles regarding social media helping to increase fan engagement, crowd attendances and income, I imagine the long-term vision of Heart employing social media would be to achieve similar outcomes. If you’re time poor, the third article is probably the best place to go, I also rather liked the last line here.

1. College athletic departments use social media to increase fan engagement
  2. Southern announces football attendance increase
  3. Football clubs go global with social media

In the case of the second article, an increase in on-field performance along with social media presence was just as important with respect to increasing crowd attendances – take note Heart!

As Heart are in a particularly congested sporting marketplace and where the visitors have had a five year head start, and there is relatively little media presence for the sport, thinking outside the square needs to be the club’s business mantra.  It looks like they’ve built up the social media followers which is great, but by the sounds of it, Heart HQ needs to continue to build followers whilst working on relevancy, quality and timing of information via its’ Facebook and Twitter feeds, and possibly other online sites to further capitalise on these opportunities.

The main point of the third article seems to be that social media increases 'followers' from overseas. I suppose that produces some increase in merchandise sales, but I can't see that it improves attendances. In Heart's case, I don't see the relevance of increasing followers from overseas (even if it occurs), because it's local interest that we need to raise.

For me, the key words in your post are 'relevance, quality and timing', and that's what I would like to see the Representative Group emphasise to Heart management.

The main point of the third article seems to be that social media increases 'followers' from overseas. I suppose that produces some increase in merchandise sales, but I can't see that it improves attendances. In Heart's case, I don't see the relevance of increasing followers from overseas (even if it occurs), because it's local interest that we need to raise.

For me, the key words in your post are 'relevance, quality and timing', and that's what I would like to see the Representative Group emphasise to Heart management.

You're right about the third article.  I suppose that's why I tried to balance it out with the first two articles as these seemed to demonstrate more of an influence at the local level.

You're right about the third article.  I suppose that's why I tried to balance it out with the first two articles as these seemed to demonstrate more of an influence at the local level.

Also, I imagine with increasing followers from overseas (should it happen, it would be challenging as football is a global game), it would appeal to potential sponsors with respect to getting their product out there globally, particularly Asia, via social media.  This could very well be another revenue stream for the club which they could re-invest in other areas. 

This is also why trying to consistently qualify for the Asian Champions League should be a major goal for the club!

Also, I imagine with increasing followers from overseas (should it happen, it would be challenging as football is a global game), it would appeal to potential sponsors with respect to getting their product out there globally, particularly Asia, via social media.  This could very well be another revenue stream for the club which they could re-invest in other areas. 

This is also why trying to consistently qualify for the Asian Champions League should be a major goal for the club!

Qualifying for the ACL is difficult year on year but getting an Asian marquee player would be the way to go. Imagine someone like an Ono at HeartFC. Now there's a point of difference with the Tards and taps into our Melbourne Asian community. Make it happen Munn!

Edited by HEARTinator

Qualifying for the ACL is difficult year on year but getting an Asian marquee player would be the way to go. Imagine someone like an Ono at HeartFC. Now there's a point of difference with the Tards and taps into our Melbourne Asian community. Make it happen Munn!

Agreed. It's hard to tell whether we've even looked at the possibility of a player from the AFC, let alone a marquee from the AFC. Of course everyone else is looking there as well, but we should give it a try.

Agreed. It's hard to tell whether we've even looked at the possibility of a player from the AFC, let alone a marquee from the AFC. Of course everyone else is looking there as well, but we should give it a try.

What happened to that Indian (centre back if I recall) we were going to trial in our first season? I thought he was meant to tap into the Indian market.

Peter, that was Gouramangi Singh. With Prayag United in the I-League, previously with Churchill Brothers. Current Indian international (61 caps).

The question is whether he would get any first team action. No use signing him and then he plays in the NYL.

Also Singh's salary is 1.05 crore (http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/rural-rockstars-gouramangi-singh-national-football-team/1/216523.html), which, according to my calculations is 10,500,000 rupees and around A$180,000...

Edited by jw1739

Perhaps not headlines, but as raised on here several times in the past, IMO we've never made enough of our community work in terms of PR.

So it's good to read this: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-in-the-Community/65469

Need more of it in local newspapers etc.

Good work from Heart HQ.

Just wanted to pickup on this again.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Inaugural-Schools-Cup-hailed-success/65693

The interesting thing here is that the schools are the ones you might associate with long standing strong AFL and Rugby programs. And here we are introducing the Melbourne Heart FC Schools Cup with the final being a curtain raiser to one of our next games at AAMI in the 2013-2014 season. Fantastic effort from our club. Looks like the final is between Ivanhoe Grammar and PEGS. Hopefully a good turnout to this game to show that HeartFC fans care out our community efforts. Would be great to extend this competition state wide to include all secondary schools. Like a FA Cup comp for schools.

• Like 3

Perhaps not headlines, but as raised on here several times in the past, IMO we've never made enough of our community work in terms of PR.

So it's good to read this: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-in-the-Community/65469

Need more of it in local newspapers etc.

Good work from Heart HQ.

Just wanted to pickup on this again.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Inaugural-Schools-Cup-hailed-success/65693

The interesting thing here is that the schools are the ones you might associate with long standing strong AFL and Rugby programs. And here we are introducing the Melbourne Heart FC Schools Cup with the final being a curtain raiser to one of our next games at AAMI in the 2013-2014 season. Fantastic effort from our club. Looks like the final is between Ivanhoe Grammar and PEGS. Hopefully a good turnout to this game to show that HeartFC fans care out our community efforts. Would be great to extend this competition state wide to include all secondary schools. Like a FA Cup comp for schools.

This is a great initiative! I wish this existed when I was in high school!

See there is just too much going on at Heart for SMFC to come in and take over...they're format of the Melbourne Heart FC Schools Cup will be called the SMFC Hellenic Schools Cup which will consist of 1 game between Greek Ortho Secondary College (Oakleigh Grammar) and St Johns Secondary College (Preston)! lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1154156/Heart-still-set-on-Kewell

Apparently we are signing two foreigners within the next 10 days

Good work HoM. That's the sort of positive stuff we want.

Have a feeling we could just pull the Holt thing off. MHFC coming out of the blue with an audacious bid for an EPL striker under contract - wow! We must feel we have a chance. Holt must have given us a sign that he'd come if the Canaries will release him.

• Like 1