Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Aloisi takes scalpel to Heart

Date April 9, 2013

Michael Lynch

John Aloisi has wasted little time in swinging the axe in a postscript to Melbourne Heart's dismal fade-out to the A-League season with several big name players dumped as the club looks to rebuild for the future.

Heart will now look to sign what football manager John Didulica described as ''talented experienced players who can help develop our young players and bring us forward. We have 15 players signed for next season and their average age is 22''.

The club could have as many as three spots for foreign players on its roster depending on what happens with Croatian striker Josip Tadic, whose future has yet to be determined.

And, as chief executive Scott Munn said on Monday, ''the board have agreed to invest more in the playing stocks next season. We operated to the salary cap (floor) and that is something the football department will address.

''Separately we have been told that we can look at higher-profile marquee players on a case-by-case basis if we can make it work, both on the pitch and on a commercial basis.''

Several former captains have been shown the door in one fell swoop. Simon Colosimo, the veteran defender, Matt Thompson, the midfielder who was virtually the club's first signing, and injury-plagued Brazilian marquee player Fred have all been told their contracts will not be renewed.

Neither will goalkeeper Clint Bolton, the 37-year-old who won Heart's first two player-of-the-season awards but lost his place this year to emerging shot stopper Andrew Redmayne.

The club does, however, want Bolton to remain with it in a non-playing capacity, perhaps involved with corporate and media work.

Mate Dugandzic, Jonatan Germano, Nick Kalmar and Sam Mitchinson have all agreed to extend their time with the Heart while 25-year-old winger Iain Ramsay will join the club from Adelaide United.

Heart has also jettisoned mid-season signings Marcel Meeuwis, Jamie Coyne and Cameron Edwards.

Aloisi, not surprisingly, opted to focus on the positives in a statement announcing Ramsay's signing and the clear-out of the senior men.

''We have a very talented group of younger players who are growing together and Iain will complement them well,'' Aloisi said.

''He has great qualities as a footballer and as a competitor. He is hungry to succeed and will really add an important dimension and depth down the flanks, which we probably lost when Aziz [behich] and Michael [Marrone] left.

''We have also had to make some difficult decisions around a group of players who have been wonderful contributors to Melbourne Heart,'' Aloisi said.

''I was a foundation player of the club and I know first-hand how hard Simon [Colosimo], Matt [Thompson] and Clint [bolton] worked to bring the club to life with their performances and their work off the field,'' he said.

''Fred has also been a great captain for the past two seasons and pushed himself to the limit every training session and every match.''

Richard Garcia, who made a good impression after returning from England, is in talks over a new deal although money is the sticking point.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/a-league/aloisi-takes-scalpel-to-heart-20130408-2hgmi.html#ixzz2PsBG8Zk5

UPDATE: MELBOURNE Heart has cleared the decks for some big-money arrivals after axing four veterans today.

Captain Fred, inaugural captain Simon Colosimo, vice-captain Matt Thompson and keeper Clint Bolton were told their contracts wouldn't be renewed in meetings with coach John Aloisi and football operations manager John Didulica.

While Bolton took a pay-cut last year, the other three were among the club's biggest earners. Their release frees up about $800,000, paving the way for a marquee signing.

It leaves Heart with just two foundation players (Nick Kalmar and Eli Babalj), although Babalj is keen to return to Europe, while Jason Hoffman is set to re-sign on close to the minimum wage.

Outgoing captain Fred said he was told a contract would be offered months ago but believed injuries forced a change of heart.

"I'm very disappointed, I've been professional and I think I've helped the club," Fred said. "They told me before 'we want to keep you but we have to talk about money' but they changed their mind, maybe because of injuries.

"It was my worst year as a professional, but I will keep playing. I still feel I have many years left and next year will be much better."

Bolton conceded he wasn't shocked and is considering swapping the gloves for a suit.

"I've had time to digest it all and I understand the club's position," Bolton said.

"Ultimately, I judge myself on success and our performances over the last three years haven't been good enough, so I feel myself and we, as a playing group, have failed.

"Playing on, it's just a case of if there is an offer I'll see if it's the right offer in the right environment.

"I want to explore the business and corporate side of clubs. It's something that really interests me and they've tentatively offered me something within the club. We'll discuss (it) in the coming weeks."

Eli Babalj, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Patrick Gerhardt, Jonatan Germano, Nick Kalmar, Dylan Macallister, Stefan Mauk, Golgol Mebrahtu, Sam Mitchinson, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker and David Williams are the 15 players signed for next season, while negotiations continue with Richard Garcia, Josip Tadic and Hoffman.

Coach John Aloisi conceded it was a hard call.

"We have had to make some difficult decisions around a group of players who have been wonderful contributors to Melbourne Heart," Aloisi said.

"I was a foundation player of the club and I know first-hand how hard Simon [Colosimo], Matt [Thompson] and Clint [bolton] worked to bring the club to life with their performances and their work off the field.

"Fred has also been a great captain for the past two seasons and pushed himself to the limit every training session and every match.

"I know I speak on behalf of all the club's staff and members that we will always be thankful for their contribution."

interesting that money seems to be the only problem with garcia re-signing. You'd think the club would have a fair bit of money to work with now.

well Richie might have a cunt of a manager who is asking a stupid price?

Perhaps. But Heart has lost out on a number of quality signing because we won't, or at least haven't in the past, go into a bidding war against other clubs.

The downside of this approach is that other clubs will pay the money and as a result get the players that allow your club to finish above 9th.

If we don't go in hard for Garcia, I hope the football department has a suitable replacement in mind so we are not picking up the scraps a few weeks before next season starts.

If we lose Garcia and keep Hoffman I think I will cry. All the good work done yesterday by the club will be undone.

That's being overly dramatic. I fully expected the club to resign Thompson (probably for 1 year) and Bolton (to use as a backup keeper and goalkeeping coach for Redmayne). Some real big moves took place yesterday, and even if we signed Hoffman that couldn't minimise the vital housecleaning that took place.

As for Garcia, it looks like the club will sign him if his price is decent. Unfortunately, because the team performed so badly last season and finished 9th, they made Garcia look like a superstar. So Garcia has a lot of leverage to negotiate with, meaning Heart might have to pay a small fortune to re-sign him.

I'm very optimistic that we would find a solid replacement for Garcia as well. I believe Heart is getting much better at signing players, as shown by Heart managing to secure Garcia, Gerhardt, Tadic and Vrankovic last season on a shoe-string budget. With even more money to throw around this time, I reckon Heart can easily sign up two or three players that can be quality regular starters, like what Garcia, Tadic and Gerhardt were for us this season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

If we lose Garcia and keep Hoffman I think I will cry. All the good work done yesterday by the club will be undone.

That's being overly dramatic. I fully expected the club to resign Thompson (probably for 1 year) and Bolton (to use as a backup keeper and goalkeeping coach for Redmayne). Some real big moves took place yesterday, and even if we signed Hoffman that couldn't minimise the vital housecleaning that took place.

As for Garcia, it looks like the club will sign him if his price is decent. Unfortunately, because the team performed so badly last season and finished 9th, they made Garcia look like a superstar. So Garcia has a lot of leverage to negotiate with, meaning Heart might have to pay a small fortune to re-sign him.

I'm very optimistic that we would find a solid replacement for Garcia as well. I believe Heart is getting much better at signing players, as shown by Heart managing to secure Garcia, Gerhardt, Tadic and Vrankovic last season on a shoe-string budget. With even more money to throw around this time, I reckon Heart can easily sign up two or three players that can be quality regular starters, like what Garcia, Tadic and Gerhardt were for us this season.

Couldn't agree more. He played great in a bad season which would make him look a whole lot better. One trait we need of his is his work ethic and leadership on the feild. We shouldn't throw the bank at him and think he is replaceable.

Although I say this and he will probably go to Perth and tear the league apart now ahah

Not directly related to MHFC but look whats in today's paper. Herald Sun of course.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-consider-afl-bans-on-soccer-hooligans/story-fnat79vb-1226617741596

I wonder if they will ban the AFL thugs? Especially at Collingwood - Carlton games? Or perhaps those scenes "pumps up the crowd" at AFL games.

Not directly related to MHFC but look whats in today's paper. Herald Sun of course.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-consider-afl-bans-on-soccer-hooligans/story-fnat79vb-1226617741596

I wonder if they will ban the AFL thugs? Especially at Collingwood - Carlton games? Or perhaps those scenes "pumps up the crowd" at AFL games.

For those without digital passes:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/police-consider-afl-bans-on-soccer-hooligans/story-e6frg6n6-1226617741596

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/police-consider-afl-bans-on-soccer-hooligans/story-e6frg6n6-1226617741596

If you get ejected from of a particular stadium for bad behaviour and as a result barred from that stadium, I dont think that its unreasonable to be barred from all events whether it be sports, concerts or otherwise. Whether its Football, AFL or Rugby, your behaviour is your responsibility. In fact I'm surprised that the FFA bans only go as far as FFA sanctioned events, for example, if you get ejected from a football match at Etihad, why would Etihad management want you back for an AFL game in the winter? Is there a governing body that covers all of these sporting events? Are the bans handed out by the stadium tenants(FFA), not actually recognised by stadium management?

and what if you wanna buy tickets to an event, is your name black listed on the server?

Everyone knows that you dont need to buy tickets yourself to be able to obtain tickets to an event.

They would need to do some sort of facial recognition at the gate. Obviously its hard to police in large crowds like AFL or a concert, but thats the job of security isnt it?

and what if you wanna buy tickets to an event, is your name black listed on the server?

Everyone knows that you dont need to buy tickets yourself to be able to obtain tickets to an event.

They would need to do some sort of facial recognition at the gate. Obviously its hard to police in large crowds like AFL or a concert, but thats the job of security isnt it?

Surely they're (media) just blowing it up like they always do

I reckon that a general "No Dickheads" rule could do wonders at the MCG for Dawks games.

I reckon that a general "No Dickheads" rule could do wonders at the MCG for Dawks games.

Would eliminate 3/4 of their supporter base lol

what a load of shit.

herald scum is just trying draw some negative press away from the racist supporters at the blues vs pies match and essendon doping allegations. so they just find a negative story on our game and stick it on the front page.

muppets..

Why are the AFL doping allegations on the front page, and the racist supporters on page 3 of yesterdays paper if Herald Sun are trying to draw attention away from it?

Honestly i think this article doesn't go far ENOUGH.

We need to deport these people who misbehave at sokkah matches.

Send them to some third world country for doing such mischievous things such as:

-Lighting flairs

-Standing on chairs

-Swearing

Don't they understand that there bringing down society with the reckless actions???

what a load of shit.

herald scum is just trying draw some negative press away from the racist supporters at the blues vs pies match and essendon doping allegations. so they just find a negative story on our game and stick it on the front page.

muppets..

Why are the AFL doping allegations on the front page, and the racist supporters on page 3 of yesterdays paper if Herald Sun are trying to draw attention away from it?

Mate, it's business as usual when bad stories come out of AFL. It is forgotten in a blkink of an eye. How many times do AFL players go on their end of season trips and tare up the place? Not to mention they are giving Australian's a bad name.

Or what about the 3-strikes drug rule the AFL has? Take some e's but that's ok you will only get a strike against your name. Even better one, if an AFL player admits to taking ellicit drugs they don't get a strike. Take some illegal cold tablets in an A-league game and it will be all over the news.

Edited by Tony999

If you get ejected from of a particular stadium for bad behaviour and as a result barred from that stadium, I dont think that its unreasonable to be barred from all events whether it be sports, concerts or otherwise. Whether its Football, AFL or Rugby, your behaviour is your responsibility. In fact I'm surprised that the FFA bans only go as far as FFA sanctioned events, for example, if you get ejected from a football match at Etihad, why would Etihad management want you back for an AFL game in the winter? Is there a governing body that covers all of these sporting events? Are the bans handed out by the stadium tenants(FFA), not actually recognised by stadium management?

If that is the case then AFL games wouldn't have half of their supporters with the amount of bogans that get kicked out of cricket games. I'm sure those bogans attend AFL games before A-league games.