Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Fit just in time for a contract renewal fuck me, are people buying this shit ? 

I am

if you go back through the history of Heart/City, we have always performed better when he has played more than a few matches in a row

I know it doesn't happen often, but it is a fact

• Like 1

Fit just in time for a contract renewal fuck me, are people buying this shit ? 

Its sus, isn't it?

Remember there were suggestions he was pissed off at playing for minimum wage. Probably found out that $50K per year is a lots of pesos, but not much in Australia.  So he gave us $50k's worth of game time, LOL

• Like 1

Should of scored

Moss made a very good save to deny him

Still should have scored. IMO should have gone on the near post.

We had several chances late in the game there - at least we were chasing it right to the end - but didn't have anyone in the right place to poke home a rebound.

Residency at 4 years. Citizen at 5.

How many now?

I think its been 4 years at seasons end

Definitely 4 years. Spoke briefly with him yesterday and he said he has been here four years but needs another one to get citizenship.

Bugger... will they keep him as a visa player,, if he takes a low salary maybe 

How many now?

Definitely 4 years. Spoke briefly with him yesterday and he said he has been here four years but needs another one to get citizenship.

So therefore does he deserve another year as a Visa player. Not sure, 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought about, now????????????

I think that to depends on his medical report. None of us are privy to that of course but if this injury is assessed as completely healed and his chance of another repeat absent season is low then I'd resign him. If the chances of injury are high then I'd look elsewhere.

Could we not have him as a Visa with restrictions and criteria's on his contract which would enable the club to terminate his contract

I think that to depends on his medical report. None of us are privy to that of course but if this injury is assessed as completely healed and his chance of another repeat absent season is low then I'd resign him. If the chances of injury are high then I'd look elsewhere.

No need to rush. He's played the grand total of 7 matches this season (for 485 minutes), and 5 since this latest "return."

IMO it will depend on more than just Germano himself.

Going to also depend on what other visa players the club has in mind. Koren already occupies one spot. Safuwan must be a contender, as will be Novillo. Possibly also Horsfield or another Manchester youngster. Outside chance for Jaliens. Then we don't know who else might be being looked at.

How many now?

So therefore does he deserve another year as a Visa player. Not sure, 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought about, now????????????

Yes, yes and yes.

No need to rush. He's played the grand total of 7 matches this season (for 485 minutes), and 5 since this latest "return."

IMO it will depend on more than just Germano himself.

Going to also depend on what other visa players the club has in mind. Koren already occupies one spot. Safuwan must be a contender, as will be Novillo. Possibly also Horsfield or another Manchester youngster. Outside chance for Jaliens. Then we don't know who else might be being looked at.

Maycon?

if they don't renew his contract they should sign him up as a staff member of the club so he gets his time up. i feel as though he would love to stay here forever. but i literally made that up. coz no other club will sign him in Aus, which means he would have to go somewhere else, he would be too injury prone to make good money anywhere else, so City is really his best bet especially to get that last year to secure his future for his family.

Would take the risk on Germano over Safuwan tbh. One more season of using a visa spot and we will potentially have the best cheap Australian player in the league. Seems to be the kind of player that would happily stay a one club man which is a rare thing in this league and something I believe is needed to build this identity everyone craves having players who are identified as city through and through is a big part of that imo.

I'd say we will see Jaliens, Safuwan and Novillo leaving to free up visa spots with Koren and Germano staying on. I'm hoping we'll release Koren and sign a marquee worthy of the status if that happens Id consider signing up Novillo or Safuwan. Jaliens has been good but too old to warrant a visa spot in the squad imo.

Would take the risk on Germano over Safuwan tbh. One more season of using a visa spot and we will potentially have the best cheap Australian player in the league. Seems to be the kind of player that would happily stay a one club man which is a rare thing in this league and something I believe is needed to build this identity everyone craves having players who are identified as city through and through is a big part of that imo.

I'd say we will see Jaliens, Safuwan and Novillo leaving to free up visa spots with Koren and Germano staying on. I'm hoping we'll release Koren and sign a marquee worthy of the status if that happens Id consider signing up Novillo or Safuwan. Jaliens has been good but too old to warrant a visa spot in the squad imo.

Agree with all of this except getting rid of Safuwan tbh

Because of his injury issues we might not want him as a visa player, but if he was an Australian squad player it would be a different matter.

I'm not aware there's anything in the salary cap rules to stop us paying him a retainer to keep fit and play State League until he is eligible for Australian citizenship? 

I'm wondering whether there's a clause in the rules regarding the timing of his Australian citizenship. If he became a citizen during the next season would he still be required to be named as a visa player? If lets say his citizenship was approved during December the club may negotiate with him to not play the first part of the season so they could the sign him as an Australian?

Either way I hope he and the club can make it work because he is exactly what we need, and being 27 he still has many years of service he could provide at the club. On another point, with Hoffman potentially not being signed up again, it would be good to have a player that been with us for so many years as a link to the past Heart days.

• Like 2

Because of his injury issues we might not want him as a visa player, but if he was an Australian squad player it would be a different matter.

I'm not aware there's anything in the salary cap rules to stop us paying him a retainer to keep fit and play State League until he is eligible for Australian citizenship? 

A player can be registered for only one club. I think if we keep him on City's books as a registered player then he would have to count as a visa player. For him to be registered with another club we would have to release him. And I'm pretty sure that if we were found to be paying players registered with other clubs then we would be in breach of FFA rules.

When players (such as Hoffman) went from Heart to play for State League clubs (In Hoffman's case, Richmond) they were officially transferred to their new club.

However, I cannot see anything to stop us deregistering Germano as a player and keeping him at the club on staff for a year, and then re-registering him as a player. This is no different from a player retiring and then making a comeback. Nevertheless, I'm sure it would raise a few FFA eyebrows...

Trying not to sound like an asshole here, but I am not sure he is worth all that trouble. He's had some great games since coming back from injury, but I wouldn't be too upset to see him go

Me, on the other hand, would be very upset to see him go. Easily my favorite player and when he isn't injured has the best work rate in the team. Best player in the team for me behind Mooy.

• Like 3

Trying not to sound like an asshole here, but I am not sure he is worth all that trouble. He's had some great games since coming back from injury, but I wouldn't be too upset to see him go

Me, on the other hand, would be very upset to see him go. Easily my favorite player and when he isn't injured has the best work rate in the team. Best player in the team for me behind Mooy.

• Like 1

Let's say he can get his citizenship by the end of 2015, then maybe he can get re-signed as a Visa player and in the January transfer window move him into a normal squad spot, freeing up his Visa spot for a European player (who couldn't find a European club in the January transfer window)...imagine having two players like Novillo in addition to Germano, Melling, Mooy and to a lesser extent, Koren in the side.

i second that mate.

Agreed. If he is worth all that trouble then there'll be a lot of clubs chasing him. With his availability he's one of our most expensive players. We have only five Visa positions and if we're to genuinely challenge for silverware we just have to improve our overall squad and we can't afford to be the "nice guys" of the competition.

• Like 1

Don't think it's being a nice guy. It's taking a gamble where I believe the risks are worth the potential rewards. Having a midfield four of Melling, Mooy, paartalu and Germano without using a visa spot would be the envy of the league imo.

True. We have already paid him to hang around the club without doing anything for a few years. What's another one?