Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Injury problems aswell apparently.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side...Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

Really hope he isn't our marquee.That's retarded - I'm sure he doesn't have an injury-history of breaking his leg!! This isn't a recurring knee, hamstring or ankle injury - the guy broke his leg in a tackle FFS! Regardless, he puts himself into a position to get injured and it isn't a coincidence that it has happened so often, which we should have considered when making him our marquee.

Nice to see we did our due diligence on this one, grabbing a giant, slow, sloppy, injury prone old man who's barely played in the last 2 years.

Can't agree with you in the slightest there mate.

So your saying he was the right bloke to get as a marquee?

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Injury problems aswell apparently.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side... Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

Really hope he isn't our marquee. That's retarded - I'm sure he doesn't have an injury-history of breaking his leg!! This isn't a recurring knee, hamstring or ankle injury - the guy broke his leg in a tackle FFS! Regardless, he puts himself into a position to get injured and it isn't a coincidence that it has happened so often, which we should have considered when making him our marquee.

Nice to see we did our due diligence on this one, grabbing a giant, slow, sloppy, injury prone old man who's barely played in the last 2 years.

Can't agree with you in the slightest there mate.

So your saying he was the right bloke to get as a marquee?

Absolutely. 

• Like 1

Don't rate him as much as others. With our midfield in a state of dis array, it would take a miracle to make anyone look good up front

Poor delivery from midfield = limited opportunities to score. :(

Yeah, I heard that Harry Kewell bloke is complete and utter shite.

Love the sarcasm.

I never mentioned HK in my post.

However if you think we got top 4 spot booked because we have Harry playing this year, you should consider increasing your medication ;)

It's great to have him, no doubt!

But he isn't going to be a messiah for heart as he wasn't one for MV last year.

Love the sarcasm.

However if you think we got top 4 spot booked because we have Harry playing this year, you should consider increasing your medication ;)

You also forget to mention that Harry kewell has his international career on the line. He is playing for the WORLD CUP ! Anything could happen with that kind of motivation
  • Like 1

Love the sarcasm.

Sorry ahaha, please forgive me as I was in an incredibly pissy mood over the whole Engelaar thing  :P

I don't think Harry will be our saviour at all by any means but a lot of people here are grossly underrating him, and it's important to note that he's still the best player we've had at the club in our history.

• Like 1

Interesting interview with Josh Kennedy.

A big enough offer from Heart might grab him. If not this season then next when he would still only be 32.

You would have to expect a 10+ maybe 15+ goal season from him in the A League!

THE WORLD GAME 28/08/2013

"The Asian Cup will be extra special being on home soil.

"Winning it at home would be great.

"I definitely will put my hand up for that one, for sure.

"I cannot speak for the others but I would think that this sentiment would be shared by many in the Socceroos group.

"Winning a trophy with Australia would be fantastic. It would be the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

"You see, winning at club football is one thing but when it comes to the national team it is something else."

Kennedy's renewed contract with Nagoya is up at the end of the next season.

He said he was not even thinking about what might happen after that but he did admit that the prospect of finishing his career in Australia was becoming more appealing.

"My wife and kids would definitely love that," he said.

"We are looking a bit down the track here to be honest.

"But, yes, I would love to play at home so our families and friends can come and watch me play football in Australia.

"The A-League has improved a lot and it is a great competition.

"It is definitely becoming more attractive to foreign players because a lot of people know about the A-League now."

Edited by MARKMILES
  • Like 2

A big enough offer from Heart might grab him. If not this season then next when he would still only be 32.

"I cannot speak for the others but I would think that this sentiment would be shared by many in the Socceroos group.

"Winning a trophy with Australia would be fantastic. It would be the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

"You see, winning at club football is one thing but when it comes to the national team it is something else."

He said he was not even thinking about what might happen after that but he did admit that the prospect of finishing his career in Australia was becoming more appealing.

"But, yes, I would love to play at home so our families and friends can come and watch me play football in Australia.

"It is definitely becoming more attractive to foreign players because a lot of people know about the A-League now."

He's a Victorian so I'd like to think he'd come to us  :D

Chase him now I say throw some decent coin at him and entice him home :)

He's a Victorian so I'd like to think he'd come to us  :D

Chase him now I say throw some decent coin at him and entice him home :)

No chance in a World Cup year with him playing as well as he is in Japan at the moment, but next year definitely!

Love the sarcasm.

You also forget to mention that Harry kewell has his international career on the line. He is playing for the WORLD CUP ! Anything could happen with that kind of motivation
  • Like 1

Interesting from the Age. Predictions?

Melbourne Heart is hoping to learn by Friday lunchtime whether it will be without marquee signing Orlando Engelaar for the remainder of the season following the Dutchman's nightmare debut for the club in Lismore at the weekend.

Engelaar sustained a broken leg in a challenge early in the pre-season friendly defeat against Brisbane Roar. With his surgery set for Thursday night, Heart has been told it will know by Friday lunchtime how long the former Netherlands international will be out for. The best case scenario is three months – which is unlikely, and the worst case seven months, which would effectively rule Englelaar out for the entire campaign.

His injury leaves Heart in a difficult situation regarding both personnel and team structure.

Advertisement

John Aloisi, the Heart coach, planned to build his midfield around the tall Dutchman, using him as the pivot behind a front four with Massimo Murdocca as the box to box player alongside. As football manager John Didulica said on Thursday, "Engelaar is the type of player we have been looking for for a long time."

Heart will get insurance cover on the bulk of Engelaar's salary, but until they know how long he will be missing they are unable to move to sign a replacement – even if they could find a like-for-like substitute, which, the club believes, would be all but impossible.

If Engelaar is out for the whole season they will look overseas for a quality midfield anchor, although finding one at this stage of the year – with just six weeks left before the A-League season starts – is a big ask.

If the Dutchman is likely to be back halfway through the campaign their job is equally difficult, as they will have to find a high class player to take his spot but only on a short-term deal, unless they can find a way to fit such a player in under the salary cap.

In the short term they could change their shape and use Argentinian utility Jonathan Germano alongside Murdocca, but there would be a saminess about such a pairing. Both are small, industrious, hard workers adept at breaking up the play but not, hitherto at least, seen as creative, deep-lying types.

The other possibility is that Patrick Gerhardt could be moved into the Engelaar slot. The Swiss-born Liberian was used last year, his first season with the club, as a centre back but he was actually signed as a holding midfielder, a position he has played through much of his career.

If the 28-year-old did move into the centre of the park, Aloisi could use teenage centre back David Vrankovic as first choice this year, although his involvement with the Olyroos and under-20 side means he might miss a lot of games.

An alternative would be to sign another centre half – or even look to get one in on loan. Heart sold youngster Curtis Good to Premier League side Newcastle United a year ago, and have in the past inquired about getting him back on a loan deal, without success. That is probably less likely now given that Good made his debut for the Magpies overnight in a Capital One Cup tie against lower tier Morecambe, a game that Newcastle won 2-0 with two late goals.

He clearly impressed, as one Newcastle fan website poll ranked him the team's third best player on the night while manager Alan Pardew said he was one of a handful of players to whom he was particularly indebted for the win.

Melbourne Heart is hoping to learn by Friday lunchtime whether it will be without marquee signing Orlando Engelaar for the remainder of the season following the Dutchman's nightmare debut for the club in Lismore at the weekend.

Engelaar sustained a broken leg in a challenge early in the pre-season friendly defeat against Brisbane Roar. With his surgery set for Thursday night, Heart has been told it will know by Friday lunchtime how long the former Netherlands international will be out for. The best case scenario is three months – which is unlikely, and the worst case seven months, which would effectively rule Englelaar out for the entire campaign.

His injury leaves Heart in a difficult situation regarding both personnel and team structure.

Advertisement

John Aloisi, the Heart coach, planned to build his midfield around the tall Dutchman, using him as the pivot behind a front four with Massimo Murdocca as the box to box player alongside. As football manager John Didulica said on Thursday, "Engelaar is the type of player we have been looking for for a long time."

Heart will get insurance cover on the bulk of Engelaar's salary, but until they know how long he will be missing they are unable to move to sign a replacement – even if they could find a like-for-like substitute, which, the club believes, would be all but impossible.

If Engelaar is out for the whole season they will look overseas for a quality midfield anchor, although finding one at this stage of the year – with just six weeks left before the A-League season starts – is a big ask.

If the Dutchman is likely to be back halfway through the campaign their job is equally difficult, as they will have to find a high class player to take his spot but only on a short-term deal, unless they can find a way to fit such a player in under the salary cap.

In the short term they could change their shape and use Argentinian utility Jonathan Germano alongside Murdocca, but there would be a saminess about such a pairing. Both are small, industrious, hard workers adept at breaking up the play but not, hitherto at least, seen as creative, deep-lying types.

The other possibility is that Patrick Gerhardt could be moved into the Engelaar slot. The Swiss-born Liberian was used last year, his first season with the club, as a centre back but he was actually signed as a holding midfielder, a position he has played through much of his career.

If the 28-year-old did move into the centre of the park, Aloisi could use teenage centre back David Vrankovic as first choice this year, although his involvement with the Olyroos and under-20 side means he might miss a lot of games.

An alternative would be to sign another centre half – or even look to get one in on loan. Heart sold youngster Curtis Good to Premier League side Newcastle United a year ago, and have in the past inquired about getting him back on a loan deal, without success. That is probably less likely now given that Good made his debut for the Magpies overnight in a Capital One Cup tie against lower tier Morecambe, a game that Newcastle won 2-0 with two late goals.

He clearly impressed, as one Newcastle fan website poll ranked him the team's third best player on the night while manager Alan Pardew said he was one of a handful of players to whom he was particularly indebted for the win.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Hoping we sign another marquee, not confident that we will.

Really at this point in time Gerhardt HAS to play DM with Vranks & Wielart behind. I know it will never happen but ffs JA open your eyes.

Do this and we're still only a quality forward away from guaranteed top 4 IMO.

This. But we will still need to sign a quality CB as well, you can't go into a season with two central defenders.

Really at this point in time Gerhardt HAS to play DM with Vranks & Wielart behind. I know it will never happen but ffs JA open your eyes.

This. But we will still need to sign a quality CB as well, you can't go into a season with two central defenders. You do if they are teenagers and your name is JVS...

This. But we will still need to sign a quality CB as well, you can't go into a season with two central defenders. You do if they are teenagers and your name is JVS...

You talking about the best season we have had so far? (Least goals conceeded that season as well FWIW)

the issue I have with Gerhardt is his stubborn preference for long balls. He Definately likes to lob them forward hoping for the best :(

Yesterday's mentality

True, that's my concern. OTOH there was little point or ability to pass the ball through midfield last season as we were usually outnumbered and poorly positioned 

Advertisement

Just from a fan's and a paid-up member's perspective...I think it would not be right to just give up because Engelaar has broken his leg. Until a couple of weeks ago he wasn't even on our books. He could have easily gone back to Holland and decided not to come here, or been made another and better offer.

So if we were staking everything on his signature then we didn't have the right approach. There should have been a Plan B, Plan C and so on, and we ought to be looking at those alternatives now. Sure there might not be someone out there with quite the pedigree of Orlando, but FFS he is not the only fish in the pond. Other clubs sign players from all over the place - Costa Rica, Spain, etc. We've had players on trial and let them go through our fingers.

Not only that, Engelaar could have played a few games for us and then done a hammy or something like that, so we should have had a Plan B for that situation.

Last season it was Josip Tadic and Grella who were going to destroy the league for us, this year it was Engelaar...time we moved to realising that nothing ever works out exactly the way you want it to.

• Like 4

Advertisement

Just from a fan's and a paid-up member's perspective...I think it would not be right to just give up because Engelaar has broken his leg. Until a couple of weeks ago he wasn't even on our books. He could have easily gone back to Holland and decided not to come here, or been made another and better offer.

So if we were staking everything on his signature then we didn't have the right approach. There should have been a Plan B, Plan C and so on, and we ought to be looking at those alternatives now. Sure there might not be someone out there with quite the pedigree of Orlando, but FFS he is not the only fish in the pond. Other clubs sign players from all over the place - Costa Rica, Spain, etc. We've had players on trial and let them go through our fingers.

Not only that, Engelaar could have played a few games for us and then done a hammy or something like that, so we should have had a Plan B for that situation.

Last season it was Josip Tadic and Grella who were going to destroy the league for us, this year it was Engelaar...time we moved to realising that nothing ever works out exactly the way you want it to.

You're spot on mate, I'd like to think that we have a Plan B or at least are currently coming up with a suitable one but to me it sounds like we were putting all of our eggs into the one basket by developing a gameplan that revolves around Engelaar being the central pivot of our formation.

I really do hope that we still have viable targets available from Aloisi and Foxe's scouting mission over the off-season but as stated in the article, it's going to be a massive test for the club with only 6 weeks remaining and the European transfer window almost shut.

This. But we will still need to sign a quality CB as well, you can't go into a season with two central defenders.You do if they are teenagers and your name is JVS...

You talking about the best season we have had so far? (Least goals conceeded that season as well FWIW) 1. We limped into 6 place and were sent out of the finals in a whimper.

2. And what got us in the finals was our Madaschi undefeated run.

3. If u actually isolate the indivdual games where Good and Hamill were paired together our record was very poor.

• Like 1

Is there any other Dutch players we could possibly get that would fit into that DM role? We seem to have a good connection with the Dutch, and if we can't get another marquee from there, i doubt very much that we'll sign another marquee player.

It's not necessarily about replace Orlando, he's a very hard man to replace, its about finding the next best thing. I still think were finals bound even if we only sign Mcgrath as our last signing