Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

So much for a top four finish!!!! Thanks JA!!!!

Your ability to acheive such a high level of stupidity in your comment earns you dumbass post of the week

And you are????? Seriously mate why the stupid comments when only a child will make comments like that! I'm more devastated about the fact this club has great potential and something like this is to happen! FFS!!! We all want the best for the club we support but idiots such a yourself think you are top class!!!! Pfffft........ GET OVER IT!!!!!!

LOl top class. I am a pretty classy bloke, far from an idiot though. I'm the guy who's wondering how you can blame JA for engelaars injury costing us a top 4 spot. I think i can speak on the behalf of everyone here and say that you're not the only one that's upset with engelaars injury, we all are.

Enlighten me and explain in point form why JA has cost us a top 4 spot becaus eof engelaars injury....

• Like 1

I think the club realise that this is a huge year on/off the pitch for them, so I am tipping that if Orlando is sidelined for 5 or so months + (pretty much the season) they will mutually agree to end his contract and they will sign up another international and hopefully it will be another big name! I know everyone has been speaking of JA's 4-2-3-1 formation but I think with the loss of Engelaar he might opt for a 4-4-2 diamond like this: 

Redmayne

Walker           Gerhadt            Wielart           Behich 

Murdocca

Dugandzic                                   Ramsay/Williams

International Striker/McGrath

I think this is something that should be looked at because it will minimise the loss of Engelaar and means we don't have Vrankovic in defence who IMO is a weak link (but good cover). But I think we are a big chance to go all out and cancel (mutually termiante) Engelaar's contract and get a big international striker (Petric etc) If he is out for a while I can't see why he would want to sit on the sidelines in a foreign country! But f*** me I am flat about it, signed up my brother just yesterday morning who was keen as to see him and I had to break the news to him we lost our best players....

Geez, I hope you are right but it would be pretty amazing if Orlando agreed to that given that this could be his last pay check in football. One thing I was thinking of though is how much of Orlando's contract would be incentive based or games played based? If a big portion of his contract was in that  then maybe he could be moved into a standard visa spot and we could up the $$ to sign another marquee. Just a thought.

i don't think i've ever seen someone on the internet make a first xi with just 9 players

so congratulations on being the first

Ha thanks, genuinely forgot Kewell in the AM position, front two were international striker and McGrath, will cop that one but! But once you do look at it like that the side looks a lot more balanced and Engelaar won't be missed as much. 

Edited by RoyalHeart

How does it work with engelaars contract. Would there be a clause of release if he's injured?

Technically player insurance SHOULD cover part/most/all of it based on the fact he had no pre-existing injury history with it... if the club had bought it yet..??

Or, the FFA might cover the shortfall because we are such dour cunts...

As if Engelaar is going to walk away from his contract and a guaranteed pay packet after what he went through to come here in the first place.

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Injury problems aswell apparently.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side... Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

Really hope he isn't our marquee.

• Like 2

498 minutes of league football in the last 2 seasons FWIW. 4 eredivisie starts :/

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side... Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

That's retarded - I'm sure he doesn't have an injury-history of breaking his leg!! This isn't a recurring knee, hamstring or ankle injury - the guy broke his leg in a tackle FFS!

• Like 1

So much for a top four finish!!!! Thanks JA!!!!

Your ability to acheive such a high level of stupidity in your comment earns you dumbass post of the week And you are????? Seriously mate why the stupid comments when only a child will make comments like that! I'm more devastated about the fact this club has great potential and something like this is to happen! FFS!!! We all want the best for the club we support but idiots such a yourself think you are top class!!!! Pfffft........ GET OVER IT!!!!!! Please elaborate on why engelaar's unfortunate injury is the managers fault? Clearly JA broke engelaars leg mate plotted it from day dot to break our little hearts ;)

S'cuse the pun

There is crap like this all over Hearts Facebook wall as well and its pissing me off to be honest. People are saying its JA's fault for signing a 33yo. It is a broken leg FFS, its not like its a hamstring or a calf or a groin which are all old guy injuries. Unless he has osteoporosis its just bloody bad luck and makes our last visa signings and aussie marquee all the more important.

Triallist Brent McGrath was lively in his 25 minute appearance off the bench and came closest to scoring, striking the woodwork late in the contest. 

The uncontracted 22-year-old, who was capped by Holger Osieck in the March 2011 friendly win over Germany, is seeking a contract after spending the past three seasons with Danish club Brondby. 

Heart’s football operations manager John Didulica said McGrath will continue training with the club

"A decision hasn’t been made yet (on McGrath). He comes to the club with a fair bit of promise so we’ll give him every opportunity to try and secure a deal,’’ Didulica said. 

"He’s got good pedigree and he’s a good guy. He’ll stay with us for another week or so and we’ll make a decision at that point. 

"He certainly ticks a lot of boxes and we’re looking for an attacking player."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-gutted-after-losing-marquee-orlando-engelaar-to-injury/story-fnii0g4g-1226704448174

Don't rate him as much as others. With our midfield in a state of dis array, it would take a miracle to make anyone look good up front

Poor delivery from midfield = limited opportunities to score. :(

Yeah, I heard that Harry Kewell bloke is complete and utter shite.

• Like 1

don't see why everyone is losing there shit, should be fine if kalmar and germano hit some form and consistency.

Based on the past, relying on those two to "hit some form and consistency" is not a good strategy IMO.

i see where your coming from but who knows it could just be there season to properly shine, if not show them the door.

Heart are looking for an injury replacement according to the Herald Sun. No bother.Matt Thompson still hasn't signed for Wellington as far as I know.

Oh, for goodness' sake, not Thommo - we do want some passes to actually find a Heart player.

If we had 4 or 5 spots left on the list I'd be all for Thompson re-signing. But with only 2 spots left and our marquee down for an extended period I think we need both signing to be first class

Heart are looking for an injury replacement according to the Herald Sun. No bother.Matt Thompson still hasn't signed for Wellington as far as I know.

Oh, for goodness' sake, not Thommo - we do want some passes to actually find a Heart player.

If we had 4 or 5 spots left on the list I'd be all for Thompson re-signing. But with only 2 spots left and our marquee down for an extended period I think we need both signing to be first class

Would have to expect replacement marquee to be same pedigree or better than Engelaar. But id say it will all depend on the extent of his injury. If its only 4 months then id say they would sign a non marquee dm to cover and then go for a striker. Although it seems like they are keen on McGrath.

I know some were complaining that he didnt get more game time, but didnt he arrive in aus on the tuesday before? If this is the case then i could understand JA playing him for such a short time.

He's 6 months slower, still takes too long to make decisions and is unable to dominate a midfield in a style that our preferred method of play requires. I can't see the point in re-signing someone who we know can't do the job.

Apparently Heart is interested in the midfielder Rodney Sneijder, and has possibly made an offer. He's 22, has 13 caps for Netherlands national youth teams, and is the brother of Wesley Sneijder. However, he may not be willing to leave the Eredivisie, despite his limited game time.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/buitenlands/21840342/__Sneijder_zegt_vier_clubs_af__.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Rodney%2BSneijder%2522%2Bmelbourne%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1C1AFAB_enAU519AU520%26biw%3D1232%26bih%3D974%26tbs%3Dqdr:w

Tue 27 Aug 2013, 06:09
  Sneijder says four clubs off

WAALWIJK -

Rodney Sneijder (22) prefers to continue his career in the Netherlands.The midfielder RKC Waalwijk was coveted by the Turkish Şanlıurfaspor, the Cypriot Apoel Limassol, Levski Sofia in Bulgaria and the Australian Melbourne Heart, but thanked the clubs for the specific interest and in some cases even offers.

For his development takes the Utrechter, in Waalwijk still has a contract for one season, heavy burden on the budget and transfer may freely leave the wiser - or not at RKC - to remain in the league. On several premier league clubs he is on the shortlist.

Good to see the club is actively looking for a new midfielder.

• Like 2

Apparently Heart is interested in the midfielder Rodney Sneijder, and has possibly made an offer. He's 22, has 13 caps for Netherlands national youth teams, and is the brother of Wesley Sneijder. However, he may not be willing to leave the Eredivisie, despite his limited game time.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/buitenlands/21840342/__Sneijder_zegt_vier_clubs_af__.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Rodney%2BSneijder%2522%2Bmelbourne%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1C1AFAB_enAU519AU520%26biw%3D1232%26bih%3D974%26tbs%3Dqdr:w

WAALWIJK -

Rodney Sneijder (22) prefers to continue his career in the Netherlands.The midfielder RKC Waalwijk was coveted by the Turkish Şanlıurfaspor, the Cypriot Apoel Limassol, Levski Sofia in Bulgaria and the Australian Melbourne Heart, but thanked the clubs for the specific interest and in some cases even offers.

For his development takes the Utrechter, in Waalwijk still has a contract for one season, heavy burden on the budget and transfer may freely leave the wiser - or not at RKC - to remain in the league. On several premier league clubs he is on the shortlist.

He looks a hell of a lot like his brother, would be great for marketing purposes.

Can't say I've seen him play though, is he an attacking, defensive or box-to-box midfielder?

Even if we sign McGrath there's still holes everywhere in our squad imo, especially now that Engelaar has passed away. Lacking depth up front, at CAM, at DM, at CB, at RB and GK tbh.

The only positions we're going to field quality players in week in week out is on the wings and LB. I think we're in for another crap season.

Edit: We're probably fucked at LB as well if Aziz goes down actually.

Edited by Jimmy

WAALWIJK -

He looks a hell of a lot like his brother, would be great for marketing purposes.

Can't say I've seen him play though, is he an attacking, defensive or box-to-box midfielder?

Not sure. He seems to have some attacking ability, and scores the occasional goal. But given his pedigree I reckon he could do alright as a more defensive midfielder. It looks like he could do well just about anywhere in midfield.

Other dutch articles a bit more clearly suggest that he's decided to stay in the Netherlands for now, so it looks unlikely that he'd sign. But it's good to see Heart is looking to fill the remaining VISA spot.

Yeah, 17 apearances, but he had 40+ bench appearances. From what i saw there are zero apparent injury issues and recently trailed at West Ham and another Dutch side...Google his name with the word injury after it and there's many articles all from different times in the last 5 years. Even chat on a PES stats forum about how he should be more injury prone in the game as he's always injured (written by someone who was obviously keeping tabs on him).

Really hope he isn't our marquee. That's retarded - I'm sure he doesn't have an injury-history of breaking his leg!! This isn't a recurring knee, hamstring or ankle injury - the guy broke his leg in a tackle FFS!

Regardless, he puts himself into a position to get injured and it isn't a coincidence that it has happened so often, which we should have considered when making him our marquee.

Nice to see we did our due diligence on this one, grabbing a giant, slow, sloppy, injury prone old man who's barely played in the last 2 years.

Really hope he isn't our marquee. That's retarded - I'm sure he doesn't have an injury-history of breaking his leg!! This isn't a recurring knee, hamstring or ankle injury - the guy broke his leg in a tackle FFS!

Regardless, he puts himself into a position to get injured and it isn't a coincidence that it has happened so often, which we should have considered when making him our marquee.

Nice to see we did our due diligence on this one, grabbing a giant, slow, sloppy, injury prone old man who's barely played in the last 2 years.

Can't agree with you in the slightest there mate.