Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

To quote the sister of man who Miccoli called scum after he was killed for trying to stop organized crime: "There are no words to describe Miccoli. It’s not even worth wasting a single word on him."

I don't think I need to go into length about why he is utter scum on here. All those who follow Calcio closely will already know.

Miccoli's suspect connection is a good enough reason not to sign him in my opinion. He doesn't really represent decent values and I would be surprsied if a lot of Italians who know a bit about him aren't a little turned off by his arrival. Yes great player but not the sort of person I'd like to see the club sign.

I really feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to get the 'right' marquee. Del Piero and Ono are a display of good marquees. They are good on and off the field as well as marketable. Heskey ontthe other hand I think hasn't really done that much for Newcastle. Off the park great but on the park he hasn't had the impact they would have wanted I'd say.

Either way I could care less who Victory sign I'm looking forward to us making some signings and hopefully having a great season.

p.s. marteaux miccoli is king dick

I really feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to get the 'right' marquee. Del Piero and Ono are a display of good marquees. They are good on and off the field as well as marketable. 

...which IIRC has been Heart's view, as expressed by Scott Munn, right from the start.

I really feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to get the 'right' marquee. Del Piero and Ono are a display of good marquees. They are good on and off the field as well as marketable.

...which IIRC has been Heart's view, as expressed by Scott Munn, right from the start.

Correct. Alot of people on here misquote Scott as saying we don't want a marquee.

To quote the sister of man who Miccoli called scum after he was killed for trying to stop organized crime: "There are no words to describe Miccoli. It’s not even worth wasting a single word on him."

I don't think I need to go into length about why he is utter scum on here. All those who follow Calcio closely will already know.

i would say that i follow Calcio closely. 

although for the reasons known hes a kent off the pitch...

but a move away from all of that attention in Italy, and to a place like the A-League that (probably) will accept him and idolise him, IMO he could be a star. 

yes he may be a twat, scum, douche etc... but he could fuck shit up on the pitch. 

is this confirmed btw?

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind if he takes this season seriously (probably won't) that he'll be by far the best player in the league. That's not why I wouldn't have him.

No it isn't confirmed. Well nothings been signed as far as I know.

Edited by Jimmy

it was said he was going to Lecce, however they are in like Serie C because of match fixing, and it was before the article by Hassett. 

Anyway, enough of them, what the hell are we doing?

nothing... thats why we are talking about them hahahha

Why can't we just sign Raul already?

Because he's currently on about $300,000 a week

No way...really? That's a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Could probably only to afford to pay him up to $50k per week  :blink:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/slideshow/2467/38/title/the-goal-rich-list-2013

Says he earns 191,000 pounds a week which converts roughly to $300,000 and that doesn't even include bonuses... there's no way we could ever compete with that sort of money, the Arab clubs are just too damn wealthy.

Why can't we just sign Raul already?

Because he's currently on about $300,000 a week

No way...really? That's a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Could probably only to afford to pay him up to $50k per week  :blink:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/slideshow/2467/38/title/the-goal-rich-list-2013

Says he earns 191,000 pounds a week which converts roughly to $300,000 and that doesn't even include bonuses... there's no way we could ever compete with that sort of money, the Arab clubs are just too damn wealthy.

RedorDead sad :( ...and slightly baffled  :unsure: ...this makes me angry  :angry: ...because I  :wub:  Raul! lol

It's not true to say that we are doing nothing.

Our first marquee target was Grant Holt; we wanted to take him on a loan deal, he was prepared to come but Norwich would not be in a loan deal and insisted on a transfer fee and so we were unsuccessful.

Karagounis was offered to us (and other clubs) and we followed that opportunity until Fulham stepped in and offered him a new contract.

There is a statement from JD somewhere to the effect that we have moved on to our next target.

Yes it's frustrating but obviously the club has to play its cards close to its chest in these matters - otherwise another club steps in and offers more money and we're dudded again.

Look, I don't actually believe that a marquee alone will be the answer to our prayers.  One player makes not a championship-winning team! I believe our on-fields concerns are deeper than that.

We all have to be brutally honest if we are to get on the right path. 

We can look at the table and see we were the worst professional team in the country, so that tells us we had bad results.  But more concerning is the fact that for the last two season the football delivered to home fans has largely been shit.  

I am more convinced than ever this comes down to the manager.  Alistair Edwards was able to completely change Perth's game in the matter of a fortnight.  TWO weeks.  I saw nothing in a whole season to suggest Aloisi has the capacity to effect change.

He's been thrown in the deep end far too early on in his career.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 3

That's what i want to finally hear... We are chasing midfield players from Spain and Italy... Players with football brains and creative skill. Please stop talking about Grant Holt as if we missed out on something speacial. Guys there's a reason why England does what they do in big comps and that's because we like them are one dimensional players. We need class players like Finkler and Germano, and if we loss Garcia we've lost our best player!

That's what i want to finally hear... We are chasing midfield players from Spain and Italy... Players with football brains and creative skill. Please stop talking about Grant Holt as if we missed out on something speacial. Guys there's a reason why England does what they do in big comps and that's because we like them are one dimensional players. We need class players like Finkler and Germano, and if we loss Garcia we've lost our best player!

Yeah, nah, exactly. Grant Holt in the A-League would be no good - but Finkler and Germano fuckin rip it up. Good call!

Yeah, nah, exactly. Grant Holt in the A-League would be no good - but Finkler and Germano fuckin rip it up. Good call!

I think the point is we don't need a big name striker. We need a cohesive midfield which we didn't have at all last season 

Finkler a class player? Yeah, and Maycon was our greatest ever recruit..

Finkler's not an amazing player, but the guy was leading the league in goal assist's before he went down. He worked well in Ange's system

I agree with the notion that signing a marquee player won't solve all our problems. In fact, i don't beleive that we should sign a marquee player at the moment tbh. We should be trying to mould our squad on the Central Coast mariners blueprint. We are similar in the sense that we don't have a big fan base as well as both clubs don't exactly have a lot of money to spend. The main difference between us and them is they maximise the talent out of there players compared to us who seem to only get glimpses of brilliance from people such as David Williams.

Looking at the teams who have marquee signing's atm two of them (Sydney and Newcastle) missed the finals. Obviously WSW with ono did better, but i beleive that the coach was the main reason they made it, not because of Ono. Outside of increased crowds, do marquee's really help overall team performance? I think most people would've had Sydney and Newcastle in the finals before the season started but both struggled all season.

Don't get me wrong, i would've been more than happy if we had signed Holt or Kalgounis but as shown we are a lot better off spending money on getting 3-4 good players rather than getting one great one. I am impressed by the heart board that they have shown ambition to go out and get good talent, what i am not impressed by is there lack of a Plan B. Obviously that can change but with JA at the helm and the list we have now, we would be lucky to avoid he spoon.

• Like 1

Finkler a class player? Yeah, and Maycon was our greatest ever recruit..

Finkler's not an amazing player, but the guy was leading the league in goal assist's before he went down. He worked well in Ange's system

I agree with the notion that signing a marquee player won't solve all our problems. In fact, i don't beleive that we should sign a marquee player at the moment tbh. We should be trying to mould our squad on the Central Coast mariners blueprint. We are similar in the sense that we don't have a big fan base as well as both clubs don't exactly have a lot of money to spend. The main difference between us and them is they maximise the talent out of there players compared to us who seem to only get glimpses of brilliance from people such as David Williams.

Looking at the teams who have marquee signing's atm two of them (Sydney and Newcastle) missed the finals. Obviously WSW with ono did better, but i beleive that the coach was the main reason they made it, not because of Ono. Outside of increased crowds, do marquee's really help overall team performance? I think most people would've had Sydney and Newcastle in the finals before the season started but both struggled all season.

Don't get me wrong, i would've been more than happy if we had signed Holt or Kalgounis but as shown we are a lot better off spending money on getting 3-4 good players rather than getting one great one. I am impressed by the heart board that they have shown ambition to go out and get good talent, what i am not impressed by is there lack of a Plan B. Obviously that can change but with JA at the helm and the list we have now, we would be lucky to avoid he spoon.

Correct. We should have the visitors pay half our marquee's wages. :)

• Like 2

Rocchi's stats and career would be enough to justify marquee status for a year - former captain of Italian Olympic team, straight from Inter Milan and a long successful record in the Serie A. Great goal scoring to game ratio as well. 

Not ever marquee will be a Del Piero - there's just not enough of them around to entertain interest in our league.

• Like 1

Tomasso Rocchi, free agent, was with Inter, loaned out to Lazio where he scored 3 goal in 8 appearances. Not a marquee signing, but foreign striker under the salary cap worth a look I would say.

Very impressive CV. 9 seasons at Lazio speaks for itself. Gives me the impression that he is precisely the sort of bloke we ought to be looking at. Could do a lot both on and off the field.

Rocchi would barely make a dent off the field. There's only really been two or maybe three people who have in the entire league's history; Kewell at MV, Del Piero and maybe Yorke but that was before I followed the league. There's only a few players out there who would. Cahill, Raul and Ronaldinho types. That doesn't there aren't good marque options out there, just the type we'd be likely to get is of the Ono ilk. A quality player who will bring crowds not with his name but by lifting the team ala WSW.

Sure Rocchi would be perfect for us but he and most of our marque targets won't do much for us off the field straight away.

Edited by Jimmy

Rocchi would barely make a dent off the field. There's only really been two or maybe three who have in the entire league's history; Kewell at MV, Del Piero and maybe Yorke but that was before I followed the league. There's only a few players out there who would. Cahill, Raul and Ronaldinho types. That doesn't there isn't good marque options out there, just the type we'd be likely to get is of the Ono ilk. A quality player who will bring crowds not with his name but by lifting the team ala WSW.

Sure Rocchi would be perfect for us but he, or most of our marque targets won't do much for us off the field straight away.

Lol, so Heskey has had no impact?  :droy:

Rocchi would barely make a dent off the field. There's only really been two or maybe three who have in the entire league's history; Kewell at MV, Del Piero and maybe Yorke but that was before I followed the league. There's only a few players out there who would. Cahill, Raul and Ronaldinho types. That doesn't there isn't good marque options out there, just the type we'd be likely to get is of the Ono ilk. A quality player who will bring crowds not with his name but by lifting the team ala WSW.

Sure Rocchi would be perfect for us but he, or most of our marque targets won't do much for us off the field straight away.

His clearly talking about off the field in crowd figures and membership terms...

And his right, Tinkler's cheap memberships the season before did a lot more to enhance Jets crowd numbers than the arrival of Heskey.

His clearly talking about off the field in crowd figures and membership terms...

And his right, Tinkler's cheap memberships the season before did a lot more to enhance Jets crowd numbers than the arrival of Heskey.

Correct. Cheaper memberships (like we had last year) are a better drawcard than a cap, I Believe.

Correct. Cheaper memberships (like we had last year) are a better drawcard than a cap, I Believe.

Yes, but do you "believe"?