Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Where the fuck was this ambition in previous season's? We've been linked to two big name players and even though both time's it's fallen through i am impressed by this showing of trying to get a big name player.

People need to actually show some appreciation for heart's ambition. Obviously not go over the top, because now the real test's begins. It'll be interesting to see what JD's plan B is

• Like 2

I'm still not really 100% sure why we're pursuing a defensive midfielder so actively when we already have Germano and Murdocca and even Gerhardt as a back-up (even though it seems obvious now that he'll continue to play in central defence). 

Surely our priority would be signing an out-and-out striker or an attacking midfielder depending on where Kewell is being planned to play. 

• Like 1

JA and JD obviously think that we need a dominant DM to anchor the midfeild and to control the game, in fact last year I think JA specifically said this (then we signed Meuwiss). I guess they think Germano or Murdocca can't do this job...I get a feeling that they signed Murdocca to be in competition with Germano and Kalmar for the other mid spot and they are after a visa dm (possibly a marquee)

But I do agree, you would think they should target an attacking/goal scoring marquee as it would probably have the biggest impact in terms of attendances and all that.

I think they see Germano and Murdocca as great supporting mids and not main centre midfield players which is understandable

JA will probably sign that main DM he keeps talking about, which will fill one of the 3 midfield positions.

Germano and Murdocca will be in competition for that 2nd midfield position as a supportive DM.

And the 3rd attacking midfield position will be between Kalmar, Kewell and Mauk

JA and JD obviously think that we need a dominant DM to anchor the midfeild and to control the game, in fact last year I think JA specifically said this (then we signed Meuwiss). I guess they think Germano or Murdocca can't do this job...I get a feeling that they signed Murdocca to be in competition with Germano and Kalmar for the other mid spot and they are after a visa dm (possibly a marquee)

But I do agree, you would think they should target an attacking/goal scoring marquee as it would probably have the biggest impact in terms of attendances and all that.

I agree Dylan and this is really starting to shit me. If we're looking for another DM it means we're definitely (again!!) proposing to play with two DMs in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-1-3 formation. We saw how negative this was last year and how it resulted in unattractive football. Playing two DMs week in week out just bores me, is conservative and doesnt show faith in developing a reliable and solid back four - its not a vote of confidence. I accept there are times when youre on the back foot you need to change to this formation, but weve had 27 games already with a coach who's not known for tinkering with structures between or within games. Again a coach who is scared to roll the dice and play attacking football with flair. Im sure many like me would like to see the team go out and have a crack with a positive mindset, than sit back and play cautious boring football.

We need a marquee to excite and bring in crowds. To me this has to be an AM with creativity, or a CF goal machine. If JA thinks Kewell is the answer to the AM flair then it's a big gamble on a 34 year old with no recent form, and no plan B (unless Kalmar has a blinder of a year - a dubious and risky solution - but I would love to be proven wrong!). Have faith in Germano or Murdocca, but give us someone they can pass to up the park who can cut open the opposition with creativity and flair. Another stodgy year of the same shit will be hard to handle.

Wasn't too sure where to put this but... Mark Schwarzer has signed for Chelsea on a free transfer. Not such a smart move seeing as Cech will always be the no.1 unless he gets injured.

He didn't want to leave England because of family and my guess us at 40 no premiership team was willing to commit to a starting spot so he went for the biggest payday. Fair enough at 40 but I hope

I agree Dylan and this is really starting to shit me. If we're looking for another DM it means we're definitely (again!!) proposing to play with two DMs in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-1-3 formation. We saw how negative this was last year and how it resulted in unattractive football. Playing two DMs week in week out just bores me, is conservative and doesnt show faith in developing a reliable and solid back four - its not a vote of confidence. I accept there are times when youre on the back foot you need to change to this formation, but weve had 27 games already with a coach who's not known for tinkering with structures between or within games. Again a coach who is scared to roll the dice and play attacking football with flair. Im sure many like me would like to see the team go out and have a crack with a positive mindset, than sit back and play cautious boring football.

We need a marquee to excite and bring in crowds. To me this has to be an AM with creativity, or a CF goal machine. If JA thinks Kewell is the answer to the AM flair then it's a big gamble on a 34 year old with no recent form, and no plan B (unless Kalmar has a blinder of a year - a dubious and risky solution - but I would love to be proven wrong!). Have faith in Germano or Murdocca, but give us someone they can pass to up the park who can cut open the opposition with creativity and flair. Another stodgy year of the same shit will be hard to handle.

In respect of possible formations, perhaps JA thinks that he can play a more attacking formation with a better DM, in the sense that if you have a lot more confidence in the DM's ability, you play him by himself in a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-1-2-3.

Personally, if we sign a class DM, then Germano gets the nod in the midfield with the first choice AM (either Kewell, Kalmar or Dugandzic) because of his more attacking nature than Murdocca, therefore, a more attacking style midfield. If we sign a less proven DM, I think we will see Murdocca ahead of Germano as more of a safety net option, hence a 2 DM midfield and more defensive play.

This Aloisi we're talking about! The first thing he did when he took over is change JvS's attacking 4-3-3 to a defensive 4-2-3-1.

JvS played one defensive mid, which when needed the formation was easily changed to 3-4-3 whereas I think 4-2-3-1 is less flexible just like Aloisi.

What we saw in JvS that has been absent from Aloisi's game plan is that when we were down in years one and two, JvS would tweak something in the formation which would see us get some fight, aggression and flare back into the game and often we'd equalise or even come from behind to win the game.

I've read numerous times that there are two types of coaches; the coach who goes out there to win and the coach who goes out there to not lose...I'm afraid Aloisi may be the latter. How frustrating was it last season when it looked like Aloisi would rather go into damage control at 2-0 down rather than actually take the game on and try and salvage at least a point (or even some pride)?

• Like 1

In respect of possible formations, perhaps JA thinks that he can play a more attacking formation with a better DM, in the sense that if you have a lot more confidence in the DM's ability, you play him by himself in a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-1-2-3.

Personally, if we sign a class DM, then Germano gets the nod in the midfield with the first choice AM (either Kewell, Kalmar or Dugandzic) because of his more attacking nature than Murdocca, therefore, a more attacking style midfield. If we sign a less proven DM, I think we will see Murdocca ahead of Germano as more of a safety net option, hence a 2 DM midfield and more defensive play.

My view is that we need the quality DM because we don't have anyone who delivers consistently enough in that position. Germano at DM to me is just like Nicky Kalmar at AM - a really good player but just doesn't deliver to his potential often enough.

The teams that win trophies are those that play consistently and that have a core of players who can be relied upon every time they step on to the pitch.

• Like 2

Wasn't too sure where to put this but... Mark Schwarzer has signed for Chelsea on a free transfer. Not such a smart move seeing as Cech will always be the no.1 unless he gets injured.

What!? See you Mark, have fun watching next years World Cup.

My view is that we need the quality DM because we don't have anyone who delivers consistently enough in that position. Germano at DM to me is just like Nicky Kalmar at AM - a really good player but just doesn't deliver to his potential often enough.

The teams that win trophies are those that play consistently and that have a core of players who can be relied upon every time they step on to the pitch.

I was going to write basicly the exact same thing.

EXCLUSIVE: Heart confirm failed Karagounis approach

By Iain Strachan

09/07/2013 10:54:00 PM

The agents of Giorgos Karagounis offered the veteran Greece international to Melbourne Heart, who were unable to match Fulham when the Premier League club returned to negotiations

Melbourne Heart have confirmed they entered preliminary discussions to sign Giorgos Karagounis, but were not able to secure a deal to bring him to the A-League, with the Greek veteran agreeing a one-year contract extension at Fulham.

Speaking to Goal.com Australia on Tuesday, Heart's general manager of football John Didulica said the club were approached by Karagounis' representatives, but could not compete with Fulham when the English Premier League outfit opted to retain the 36-year-old midfielder.

Melbourne Victory were also heavily linked with a move for the Greece international, but it now appears both A-League clubs were used by Karagounis' agents to force Fulham's hand in negotiations.

"As a club, when a player like that's offered, you're duty bound to follow it through and see exactly what their demands are and what's motivating a move to Australia," Didulica said.

"We did that ... ultimately it's the player's decision.

"It's not an easy task to talk a player out of playing premiership football."

"Any club worth their salt, if they're offered a player of that quality, will make enquiries and at least have the discussion with the player's reps. Or do some due diligence on what's motivating a move to Australia.

"Ultimately though Karagounis has got an opportunity at Fulham and it's very difficult for clubs in Australia to compete with the Premier League on salary, on conditions, on prestige.

"I think every club at least has a conversation or finds out exactly what their situation is.

"It didn't really progress too far given Fulham's interest."

With Karagounis off the market, Heart are set to continue their search for reinforcements in midfield and attack, although it remains to be seen if they will attempt to lure a big name to the club as a marquee signing.

"Our preference is to try and find a defensive midfielder. We want to ensure we can get the right person to add to our midfield group. And that will [help us to] make a decision on who we sign as the attacking option," Didulica said.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/07/09/4105220/exclusive-heart-confirm-failed-karagounis-approach

What I like about this article is that it has a completely different tone from the one on TWG (which allegedly quoted SM). From the quotes attributed to JD above it's clear that we're still intending to make signings in the positions that we said we'd do at the start of the off-season. Which is what we all wanted to hear.

EXCLUSIVE: Heart confirm failed Karagounis approach

By Iain Strachan

09/07/2013 10:54:00 PM

The agents of Giorgos Karagounis offered the veteran Greece international to Melbourne Heart, who were unable to match Fulham when the Premier League club returned to negotiations

Melbourne Heart have confirmed they entered preliminary discussions to sign Giorgos Karagounis, but were not able to secure a deal to bring him to the A-League, with the Greek veteran agreeing a one-year contract extension at Fulham.

Speaking to Goal.com Australia on Tuesday, Heart's general manager of football John Didulica said the club were approached by Karagounis' representatives, but could not compete with Fulham when the English Premier League outfit opted to retain the 36-year-old midfielder.

Melbourne Victory were also heavily linked with a move for the Greece international, but it now appears both A-League clubs were used by Karagounis' agents to force Fulham's hand in negotiations.

"As a club, when a player like that's offered, you're duty bound to follow it through and see exactly what their demands are and what's motivating a move to Australia," Didulica said.

"We did that ... ultimately it's the player's decision.

"It's not an easy task to talk a player out of playing premiership football."

"Any club worth their salt, if they're offered a player of that quality, will make enquiries and at least have the discussion with the player's reps. Or do some due diligence on what's motivating a move to Australia.

"Ultimately though Karagounis has got an opportunity at Fulham and it's very difficult for clubs in Australia to compete with the Premier League on salary, on conditions, on prestige.

"I think every club at least has a conversation or finds out exactly what their situation is.

"It didn't really progress too far given Fulham's interest."

With Karagounis off the market, Heart are set to continue their search for reinforcements in midfield and attack, although it remains to be seen if they will attempt to lure a big name to the club as a marquee signing.

"Our preference is to try and find a defensive midfielder. We want to ensure we can get the right person to add to our midfield group. And that will [help us to] make a decision on who we sign as the attacking option," Didulica said.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/07/09/4105220/exclusive-heart-confirm-failed-karagounis-approach

What I like about this article is that it has a completely different tone from the one on TWG (which allegedly quoted SM). From the quotes attributed to JD above it's clear that we're still intending to make signings in the positions that we said we'd do at the start of the off-season. Which is what we all wanted to hear.

Fucking twg :droy:

At least Victory didn't get Karagounis as well. Also, I'm satisfied with JD's response. Competing head to head with a premier league club is next to impossible for an A-League clubs.

A lot happier with this article than the TWG article. TWG always has some very narrow or specific story that they want to tell, and they seem to warp all the information they get to make sure that it furthers that story. The goal article sounds like an actual interview that's been reported. There's a big difference.

JD saying at the end that we're looking for a DM and an "attacking option".

I've got nothing against the formation 4-2-3-1. I think most formations are neutral, and it's a coach's "approach" or style, as well as the players, that make a team attacking or defensive. 

I reckon if we had a class DM who was both consistent and quality, then we could be very attacking despite playing with 2 DMs. Last season, we often needed Fred to drop deep to collect the ball to help us transition from defense to attack. If we had a good DM, he could spearhead the transition and we could quickly attack, whilst the AM could be in a more advanced position. Shroj could pass forward, but he was too slow, and Thompson was fairly quick, but he couldn't really pass forward. IMO, DM could well be the position that Heart has always been weakest, so I'd like to see us acquire a very capable DM. Lastly, Aloisi could tell 1 DM, whether it's Germano or whoever, to go forward when we get the ball, so there's isn't really anything IMO that makes 4-2-3-1 intrinsically defensive.

I wonder what "attacking option" means, striker or attacking midfielder? Presumably we are getting at least one more striker. If we get a DM and a striker I reckon there's a fair chance that Kewell will largely play as our AM. I'm fine with that. I reckon he has enough class to provide us with a good amount of creativity.

One thing I don't get though,is how would obtaining a DM help us decide on who we want as an "attacking option"?

• Like 1

At least Victory didn't get Karagounis as well. Also, I'm satisfied with JD's response. Competing head to head with a premier league club is next to impossible for an A-League clubs.

A lot happier with this article than the TWG article. TWG always has some very narrow or specific story that they want to tell, and they seem to warp all the information they get to make sure that it furthers that story. The goal article sounds like an actual interview that's been reported. There's a big difference.

JD saying at the end that we're looking for a DM and an "attacking option".

I've got nothing against the formation 4-2-3-1. I think most formations are neutral, and it's a coach's "approach" or style, as well as the players, that make a team attacking or defensive. 

I reckon if we had a class DM who was both consistent and quality, then we could be very attacking despite playing with 2 DMs. Last season, we often needed Fred to drop deep to collect the ball to help us transition from defense to attack. If we had a good DM, he could spearhead the transition and we could quickly attack, whilst the AM could be in a more advanced position. Shroj could pass forward, but he was too slow, and Thompson was fairly quick, but he couldn't really pass forward. IMO, DM could well be the position that Heart has always been weakest, so I'd like to see us acquire a very capable DM. Lastly, Aloisi could tell 1 DM, whether it's Germano or whoever, to go forward when we get the ball, so there's isn't really anything IMO that makes 4-2-3-1 intrinsically defensive.

I wonder what "attacking option" means, striker or attacking midfielder? Presumably we are getting at least one more striker. If we get a DM and a striker I reckon there's a fair chance that Kewell will largely play as our AM. I'm fine with that. I reckon he has enough class to provide us with a good amount of creativity.

One thing I don't get though,is how would obtaining a DM help us decide on who we want as an "attacking option"?

I suspect Kewell will slot in at either am or striker depending on what we sign. How this is related to a dm anyone's guess really. Perhaps if we have an experienced dm, we might play an inexperienced am like Mate or Kalmar. If we don't then Kewell may well slot into am to provide experience? Who knows.

In a team squad you need a balance not only in their football aptitudes but also in characters and personalities. No point in signing two expensive players, say for the DM and striker roles, if you think that they might have a personality clash or similar.

So if for no other reason than that I can see how one signing would influence the choice of another.

Don't get the people saying 4231 is a defensive formation and it's too negative/we can't play 'attractive' football using it etc.

It's probably the most popular formation in world football atm (current fad if you like). Most big clubs use a formation something similar to 4231 with two holding midfielders. I'm not saying we have to use it, but we can get positive results using this formation and it's obviously JA's preferred system so I doubt it's going to change.

That said, neither Murdocca or Germano are good enough to dominate at DM imo, so I definitely think we should be going after a class DM, as I've been saying for the past 2 seasons.

• Like 2

The reason I say it's "defensive" is because in a team of 11 players you have 7 players dedicated to defend the goals!

Yes, I know even the attacking players can, should and do defend from the front, but they're in a different mentality. Their mentality is to put the ball in the other team's goals.

So with 2 defensive mids you have 63.64% of your players defending as opposed to 54.55% with only one DM. That's not to say that the latter is more balanced just because it's closer to 50/50 or that 63.64% of players defending is too much. I guess it comes down to the coach and how well he and his players implement it.

I'm judging the two different formations mostly on our Away results from last season - was it the formation, the coach or the players that went wrong?

• Like 1

IMO He is their for training, he will be coached by one of the best coaches in the world , He will probably get game time in domestic cup matches and european games. 

I think its a smart move

The reason I say it's "defensive" is because in a team of 11 players you have 7 players dedicated to defend the goals!

Yes, I know even the attacking players can, should and do defend from the front, but they're in a different mentality. Their mentality is to put the ball in the other team's goals.

So with 2 defensive mids you have 63.64% of your players defending as opposed to 54.55% with only one DM. That's not to say that the latter is more balanced just because it's closer to 50/50 or that 63.64% of players defending is too much. I guess it comes down to the coach and how well he and his players implement it.

You could also argue that with 2 DM's, the other players can be more attacking than in other formations. eg. in a 442 you'd probably have 8 players behind the ball, where in some teams the front 4 of a 4231 wouldn't do much defensively.

Like Murfy said the formation itself isn't really attacking or defensive, but the managers approach/system is.

They may have failed in their audacious attempt to loan Grant Holt, but Melbourne Heart have not given up on adding to an attack already boasting Harry Kewell

Melbourne Heart have revealed they are still in the market to sign a forward, after their attempts to bring in Grant Holt on loan were rebuffed.

Reports in the Australian media last month claimed Heart were unsuccessful in their attempts to sign centre-forward Holt on a permanent basis after failing to meet the English Premier League club's valuation of two million pounds.

Heart's football operations manager John Didulica told Goal.com Australia the club were only in discussions with the Carrow Road outfit over a loan move for Holt, who has since agreed a transfer to relegated FA Cup holders Wigan Athletic.

"We spoke with Norwich a number of times about the possibility of a loan to Australia," Didulica said.

"They were pretty adamant they wanted a transfer fee.

"It was always an ambitious undertaking. We thought that if a few things fell our way it was a chance of happening. I know it was something the player was genuinely interested in pursuing, but it's always difficult to turn your back on opportunities in the Championship and the Premiership.

"Grant was something that we thought would be a wonderful coup for the league, but we move on ... to the next target."

Heart have Mate Dugandzic, Golgol Mebrahtu, David Williams and new signing Harry Kewell to call upon in attack, although they are lacking a dedicated centre-forward.

Didulica is confident Dylan Macallister can do a job through the middle if called upon, but Heart may yet choose to re-enter the transfer market.

"Certainly we have in our mind that we want to bring in an extra attacking option, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a certain type of striker," Didulica said.

"We're just after someone else who can run through those key positions in attack, whether it's just behind the strikers or out wide or at the point of the attack.

"The key for us to have as much mobility in the front half as possible."

At the other end of the field, Patrick Gerhardt, youngster David Vrankovic and new signing Rob Wielaert are expected to compete for places in central defence.

Heart believe Sam Mitchinson, who made the majority of his appearances at fullback last season, can operate in the middle if called upon.

But Didulica confirmed Heart were looking at reinforcing that area, with the ideal solution an experienced midfielder who is also capable of playing in defence.

"Certainly it's something we've discussed, whether we need to bring a fourth guy in or bring somebody else in who can do a number of different roles in the back half," he said.

"Some of the guys we're looking at for a vacant spot in midfield. We're looking to see, potentially, what they can do defensively."

"The trick for us is to find another player who we think can do a role there but also, if required, do something else within the squad."

At http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/07/10/4106938/exclusive-retail-therapy-to-ease-holt-loan-heart-ache

My comment: "Didulica is confident Dylan Macallister can do a job through the middle if called upon..." With all due respect to Dylan Macallister, if we still rely on players at that level in an even stronger A League

for 2013-2014, then it's not looking too good for us.  

He only thinks that Macallister 'can do a job [...] if called upon'. Hopefully he simply expects that Macallister can occasionally play as striker, instead of be our regular striker. If JD expects Macallister to be our regular striker, then I agree that's a bit of a concern.

I almost wonder if Heart excessively focuses on 'flexibility'. I'm not sure how good an idea it is for Heart to demand that our 'attacking option' should be able to play as striker, winger and AM, and that our DM should be able to 'do a number of different roles in the back half'. Why can't we just get a good and proven out-and-out striker, and a career long defensive midfielder? For instance, if it's a choice between a real good out-and-out striker, and a good flexible forward, go for the better striker IMO.

I know we only have a few spots left, but I think we already have a good amount of utility players. I hope we just sign at least 1 defensive player who's good enough to start, and 1 attacking player who's good enough to start.

Edited by Murfy1

did anyone see / comment on the random?? tweet from Clint Bolton (14 hours ago) ... it read

"I call him Andrew ;) #pirlo"

... that was it and from what I can gather it wasnt in response to anything???

Surely this is a gee-up.

I read this and got the warm and fuzzies.