Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

"@Jdidulica Speaking of Heart's marquee - is there ANY marquee player in the works? How likely are we to land a big fish?"

"@RedorDead with moves/transfers now happening in Europe, more and more players will now be available"

Do you know what I think this tells us? We got nothing! It tells me we put all our eggs in Holt's basket and when it looked like he wasn't coming to Heart we used that money to go after Karagounis! Now Karagounis is unavailable too and we're left with....squat!

I'm sick of being a reactive club and not proactive! SM, JD and JA should get aggressive with their signings!

We're gonna have to rely on Hoffman and D-Mac as strikers! Another season where none of our players will score 10 goals or more!  :unsure:

• Like 1

I still think Raul is our man and should be our main target! Even if Al Saad want him for another year, SM and JD should throw more cash at him, sell him the summer lifestyle the land down under has to offer and sign this guy up!

Even at 36 he will dominate the A-League and the class, skill and excitement he'll bring to Heart will be priceless. Watch the crowd and members come in droves if we sign this guy up! The goals he'll set up plus the goals he'll score will see Heart finish top 2!

Unlike Ronaldinho, Lampard, Drogba and Pirlo, Raul is a realistic target!

Raul > Del Piero!

"@Jdidulica Speaking of Heart's marquee - is there ANY marquee player in the works? How likely are we to land a big fish?"

"@RedorDead with moves/transfers now happening in Europe, more and more players will now be available"

Do you know what I think this tells us? We got nothing! It tells me we put all our eggs in Holt's basket and when it looked like he wasn't coming to Heart we used that money to go after Karagounis! Now Karagounis is unavailable too and we're left with....squat!

I'm sick of being a reactive club and not proactive! SM, JD and JA should get aggressive with their signings!

We're gonna have to rely on Hoffman and D-Mac as strikers! Another season where none of our players will score 10 goals or more!  :unsure:

We are a A League club in Australia so of course we are going to be a reactive player in the the Transfer World. :droy:

Next you will be demanding Oakleigh Cannons should be making the play to signing Samaras. :unsure:

Your Oakleigh Cannons analogy is ridiculous! I'd obviously demand for Samaras to come to Heart!  :P

Mate, we are an elite football club playing at the highest level Australia has to offer! We SHOULD be PROactive, we can't afford to always be REactive!

Our millionaire owner might not be as cashed up as some of the European club owners, but if he wants Heart to grow he needs to feed it quality food and not scraps!

Rather than waiting around the back of a fine-dining restaurant by the rubbish bins to see what food they throw out, make a booking, get in there and order the fucking lobster! And then you convince the lobster that it'd rather be on Heart's plate than anyone else's!

• Like 2

I still think Raul is our man and should be our main target! Even if Al Saad want him for another year, SM and JD should throw more cash at him, sell him the summer lifestyle the land down under has to offer and sign this guy up!

Even at 36 he will dominate the A-League and the class, skill and excitement he'll bring to Heart will be priceless. Watch the crowd and members come in droves if we sign this guy up! The goals he'll set up plus the goals he'll score will see Heart finish top 2!

Unlike Ronaldinho, Lampard, Drogba and Pirlo, Raul is a realistic target!

Raul > Del Piero!

They are talking to agents, not much more they can do.

We need to remain reasonable here. It's not just a matter of run out the door throwing cash at guys. I'm sure they have identified several targets most of which won't come through or they consider us a back up option for if they don't get a gig in Europe. Looking at marquee signings in the past they have come right before the season. I'm sure there is a lot of things to work through specifically for their contracts like which school will my kid go to and so on as well as cash and terms. All this would be part of a package for a marquee and I'm sure subtle parts of contracts like this are a.) important and b.) take time.

The only real issue I have with this is I think our marquee somewhat dictates the rest of our signings. ie if we sign a marquee striker it dictates our other visa signings. If we however fill some spots it narrows down our options to a marquee player in one position. So we are in a bit of a catch 22. Either way it's far from panic stations recruitment has ticked off a few boxes already. Creative player that's better than Tadic or Fred (Kewell), midfielder who fits our structure better than Thomson and passes the ball well (Mass) and a center back whom I hope isn't a spud like Colosimo (Robbie! Make what you will of Ramsey). So we aren't at all in bad shape.

I think its also worth considering in business they consider strategy to be 50% planned and 50% emergent. Heart have probably ticked off the 50% part going to plan with the four signings mentioned above. I feel they thought they could get Holt and it hasn't happened now we are having to look at options that come up. It's not a huge issue but a reality for Australian clubs which are geographically isolated and don't have the big dollars to wave. Emergent options in regards to player signings from overseas are a part of the A-league landscape.

In closing a few more good signings and Mate back and I think we look pretty decent before the season. My biggest issues is has Johnny learnt to coach!

Edited by wombegongal

Your Oakleigh Cannons analogy is ridiculous! I'd obviously demand for Samaras to come to Heart!  :P

Mate, we are an elite football club playing at the highest level Australia has to offer! We SHOULD be PROactive, we can't afford to always be REactive!

Our millionaire owner might not be as cashed up as some of the European club owners, but if he wants Heart to grow he needs to feed it quality food and not scraps!

Rather than waiting around the back of a fine-dining restaurant by the rubbish bins to see what food they throw out, make a booking, get in there and order the fucking lobster! And then you convince the lobster that it'd rather be on Heart's plate than anyone else's!

I honestly think you should read a copy of this:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780955925337?redirected=true&gclid=CKCh0oujobgCFQxBpgodfWYADg

We're gonna have to rely on Hoffman and D-Mac as strikers! Another season where none of our players will score 10 goals or more!   :unsure:

We are a A League club in Australia so of course we are going to be a reactive player in the the Transfer World.  :droy:

Mate, we are an elite football club playing at the highest level Australia has to offer! We SHOULD be PROactive, we can't afford to always be REactive!

I honestly think you need to change your mentality! Do you see the difference in the bold text above?

It's about time we change the "we're a small, poor club with not much to offer" thinking to "Melbourne is the place to be and Melbourne Heart is club to play for". "...so we got wheelie bins as ice-baths; that's just how we roll!" Lol

Melbourne is a unique market place and we have a lot to offer! Apart from the sunny (not too hot, not too humid) weather, we are a laid back city with plenty to see and do! When you're not playing football, you could be surfing or skiing in the off season, both about an 1.5 hours away! When it comes to football we have the biggest match on the A-League's H&A schedule, the Melbourne Derby! The list goes on and on...

A marquee player might even see this as his opportunity to help the club grow and put his stamp on Australian football in Australia. Look at JvS; a marquee coach who 2 years is still helping out with signings and recommendations. Look at what ADP is doing for SFC, both domestically and internationally.

Stop thinking small and reactively and start thinking bigger and pro-actively! I'm not saying aim for Rooney or Suarez, I'm saying don't just wait around for other teams' scraps, crumbs and rejects!

We're gonna have to rely on Hoffman and D-Mac as strikers! Another season where none of our players will score 10 goals or more!   :unsure:

We are a A League club in Australia so of course we are going to be a reactive player in the the Transfer World.  :droy:

Mate, we are an elite football club playing at the highest level Australia has to offer! We SHOULD be PROactive, we can't afford to always be REactive!

I honestly think you need to change your mentality! Do you see the difference in the bold text above?

It's about time we change the "we're a small, poor club with not much to offer" thinking to "Melbourne is the place to be and Melbourne Heart is club to play for". "...so we got wheelie bins as ice-baths; that's just how we roll!" Lol

Melbourne is a unique market place and we have a lot to offer! Apart from the sunny (not too hot, not too humid) weather, we are a laid back city with plenty to see and do! When you're not playing football, you could be surfing or skiing in the off season, both about an 1.5 hours away! When it comes to football we have the biggest match on the A-League's H&A schedule, the Melbourne Derby! The list goes on and on...

A marquee player might even see this as his opportunity to help the club grow and put his stamp on Australian football in Australia. Look at JvS; a marquee coach who 2 years is still helping out with signings and recommendations. Look at what ADP is doing for SFC, both domestically and internationally.

Stop thinking small and reactively and start thinking bigger and pro-actively! I'm not saying aim for Rooney or Suarez, I'm saying don't just wait around for other teams' scraps, crumbs and rejects!

Or as most overseas players would see us, as a small, unsuccessful club in a football backwater with no money, no fans, terrible facilities and a coach with no credentials.

• Like 1

I don't want to spend another summer watching football that doesn't inspire or excite. We have the ability to have access to the same resources as every other club in this league. Melbourne is a city comparable to the best in the world (and I have been to most of what are considered to be the best). We have no excuse for not attracting the best that can be attracted to the A-League.

After last season I am looking for something special.

• Like 1

I don't want to spend another summer watching football that doesn't inspire or excite. We have the ability to have access to the same resources as every other club in this league. Melbourne is a city comparable to the best in the world (and I have been to most of what are considered to be the best). We have no excuse for not attracting the best that can be attracted to the A-League.

Seriously we a long away from the Season's start,

I am fairly that we get the foreign DM and CF to complete a already half decent squad.

Peter, I think you've summed it all up perfectly.

• Like 1

I don't really see how targeting a player, offering his club a transfer fee and being knocked back is not considered to be proactive.

You're right that Heart does deserve some credit for proactively pursuing Holt. I assumed that Heart must have got some positive signals from Holt or his agent to make pursuing a contracted player like him, instead of a free agent, worthwhile. However, with Holt now going to Wigan, it's clear that Holt was just too difficult, and I can't help but wonder why we didn't focus our efforts on a marquee that's currently a free agent.

It's possible that Heart bid for Ambrosini and possibly Karagounis, but it looks like those bids happened after Holt ceased to be a viable option, and perhaps because Heart didn't focus enough on those targets we couldn't put forward a convincing offer.

IMO there are still good options out there, like Yossi Benayoun, Mladen Petric and Louis Saha. And those are just a few names off the top of my head. I can't help but think as well that Victory are so doggedly pursuing a marquee because Heart might well have something in the works... but I'm not going to be presumptuous. I don't really mind if Heart miss their first or primary marquee target, as long as Heart are smart and go about signing a marquee the right way. And in hindsight, it's unclear whether we should have focused so much on a target like Holt.

So, I think there are good options out there. I reckon Heart could secure a marquee that could have as big an impact as Shinji Ono had on the Wanderers, or even as ADP had on Sydney FC. But Heart will have to be real smart in the transfer market, and even then we'll probably need a tiny bit of luck as well.

I would also assume that to get a marquee to come to the A-league would be incredibly hard considering the distance we are away from everything. Its not a 'quick' plane flight to get back to europe or anywhere else really (unless we have an asian marquee). Plus we are an unknown league on the world stage. Money plays a huge role sure, but when you look at it, we will offer what, 1.5mil to 2 mil a season? Compared to other leagues that's not a huge amount of money...  So can we at least hold of the whinging for at least another month?

I think our biggest issue is the extra money needed for the football department and more coaches to help JA, he is still a novice...

EXCLUSIVE: Heart confirm failed Karagounis approach

By Iain Strachan

09/07/2013 10:54:00 PM

The agents of Giorgos Karagounis offered the veteran Greece international to Melbourne Heart, who were unable to match Fulham when the Premier League club returned to negotiations

Melbourne Heart have confirmed they entered preliminary discussions to sign Giorgos Karagounis, but were not able to secure a deal to bring him to the A-League, with the Greek veteran agreeing a one-year contract extension at Fulham.

Speaking to Goal.com Australia on Tuesday, Heart's general manager of football John Didulica said the club were approached by Karagounis' representatives, but could not compete with Fulham when the English Premier League outfit opted to retain the 36-year-old midfielder.

Melbourne Victory were also heavily linked with a move for the Greece international, but it now appears both A-League clubs were used by Karagounis' agents to force Fulham's hand in negotiations.

"As a club, when a player like that's offered, you're duty bound to follow it through and see exactly what their demands are and what's motivating a move to Australia," Didulica said.

"We did that ... ultimately it's the player's decision.

"It's not an easy task to talk a player out of playing premiership football."

"Any club worth their salt, if they're offered a player of that quality, will make enquiries and at least have the discussion with the player's reps. Or do some due diligence on what's motivating a move to Australia.

"Ultimately though Karagounis has got an opportunity at Fulham and it's very difficult for clubs in Australia to compete with the Premier League on salary, on conditions, on prestige.

"I think every club at least has a conversation or finds out exactly what their situation is.

"It didn't really progress too far given Fulham's interest."

With Karagounis off the market, Heart are set to continue their search for reinforcements in midfield and attack, although it remains to be seen if they will attempt to lure a big name to the club as a marquee signing.

"Our preference is to try and find a defensive midfielder. We want to ensure we can get the right person to add to our midfield group. And that will [help us to] make a decision on who we sign as the attacking option," Didulica said.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/07/09/4105220/exclusive-heart-confirm-failed-karagounis-approach