Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Didn't Munn say we didn't do gimmicks like Kewell 2 years ago?

He is no longer a gimmick, he is just shit.

Don't say that...he's offered more than enough to Australian Football over his career to warrant some more respect than that...

...in fact, I suggest that if he had not previously played for Victory we would welcome him with open arms. He is one of the very small number of 'names' who are known to most people other than 'football people' and therefore one of the few who would put a significant extra number of bums on seats at AAMI Park.

• Like 1

Didn't Munn say we didn't do gimmicks like Kewell 2 years ago?

He is no longer a gimmick, he is just shit.

Don't say that...he's offered more than enough to Australian Football over his career to warrant some more respect than that...

...in fact, I suggest that if he had not previously played for Victory we would welcome him with open arms. He is one of the very small number of 'names' who are known to most people other than 'football people' and therefore one of the few who would put a significant extra number of bums on seats at AAMI Park.

Fact of the matter is though that he has played for Victory, and is unable to hold a contract in the U.A.E in turn suggesting that he is currently shit. I think the perception of him amongst the general population has swerved enough against him now that he would genuinely be a very poor marquee.

Edited by Che

Not sure this has been mentioned but..... How awkward/bad is it going to be for JA if we do get some very high paid star of a marquee. 45 doctors and physios hovering around, world class facilities etc etc and after the first training session at the club he tells him to get into a bin :droy:

:D

heard the visitors are interested in valencia captain David Albelda.. would he be the type of player that we should be looking at as well?

I agree that David Albelda is the kind of player Heart should sign. Someone who has a very strong pedigree (has captained Valencia for years, has over 50 caps for Spain, etc.), who ideally is well known (at least in football circles) and is in the final stage of their career (so there is a realistic chance that they would play in the A-League). Players like him and Shinji Ono I reckon are the ideal marquees. Players who can actually help a team find success make the best marquees, not players who are just really well known.

Re-reading that SBS article, I'd have to say by far the most important part of it is this statement: 'And with Heart in the market for a star player'. An actual report that Heart is out and looking for a marquee. Not that the CEO or board like the idea of a marquee, but that the club is out there and looking for one. A club needs a bit of luck with such signings, so hopefully along with the effort of looking for a marquee we get that little bit of luck.

Edited by Murfy1

By the way, here is a new development, and we already know that Aloisi is in England....

Karagounis to leave Fulham at the end of the season, reveals agent

17 May 2013 12:30:00

The veteran Greece international, who was part of the squad that triumphed at Euro 2004 in Portugal, is open to offers from other English clubs but will not stay at Craven Cottage

EXCLUSIVE 
By Ed Aarons

Giorgos Karagounis is set to play his final game for Fulham against Swansea on Sunday, according to the player's agent.

The 36-year-old signed a one-year contract with the Cottagers at the beginning of the season and has made 24 Premier League appearances under boss Martin Jol. 

His performances saw Karagounis voted as runner-up behind Dimitar Berbatov in the club's Player of the Year Awards last week, and he was rated in the top 10 in Opta's passing accuracy stats.

Jol's future is currently under scrutiny with Brighton boss Gus Poyet heavily linked to take over, and now Karagounis' agent, Paschalis Tountouris, has revealed that there is no future for him at Craven Cottage.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," he said.

"He's had a terrific year and the Premier league was a great experience. There would be options for him to stay in England and would consider any challenges that may be available. It's very good that the fans of Fulham have recognised his contributions this season to vote him as the second best player and he will always have them in his heart."

Karagounis has amassed 124 caps for Greece and was part of the team that won the 2004 European Championship. 

Jol has stated on several occasions that he wanted the former Panathinaikos, Inter and Benfica star to stay at Fulham, but Tountouris admitted that is now unlikely, with Karagounis targeting the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.  

"I don't want to comment on any further details about discussions with Fulham but the bottom line is that he will move on," he added.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/05/17/3985338/karagounis-to-leave-fulham-at-the-end-of-the-season-reveals

• Like 2

This guy isn't a marquee, but I see he's managed by the same agent as Raul. I'm talking about David Albelda. He's:

- 35yo

- Defensive Mid, but can play in defence too.

- At Valencia

- Contract expires end of June

- Has played more than 50 games for Spain

- Worth around EUR500,000

Since he has the same agent as Raul, maybe JD can organise a deal and get both players at Heart for less than AUD$1,500,000.

What are your thoughts?

heard the visitors are interested in valencia captain David Albelda.. would he be the type of player that we should be looking at as well?

I agree that David Albelda is the kind of player Heart should sign. Someone who has a very strong pedigree (has captained Valencia for years, has over 50 caps for Spain, etc.), who ideally is well known (at least in football circles) and is in the final stage of their career (so there is a realistic chance that they would play in the A-League). Players like him and Shinji Ono I reckon are the ideal marquees. Players who can actually help a team find success make the best marquees, not players who are just really well known.

Re-reading that SBS article, I'd have to say by far the most important part of it is this statement: 'And with Heart in the market for a star player'. An actual report that Heart is out and looking for a marquee. Not that the CEO or board like the idea of a marquee, but that the club is out there and looking for one. A club needs a bit of luck with such signings, so hopefully along with the effort of looking for a marquee we get that little bit of luck.

Are you serious that the Visitors are looking at this guy? They must've seen my post from the 7th of May!! lol

Next thing you know they'll be signing Raul as well since he has the same manager! FFS why does it always seem like we're one step behind?

yeah 100%, they're trying to get rid of flores as well

IMO karagounis would be the perfect marquee for us, but the fact that he is "targeting the 2014 world cup" puts doubt in my mind that he would come to the a-league. However it could be good for him if he wants a shorter season and if he believes it would keep him fresh for the world cup.

• Like 1

This guy isn't a marquee, but I see he's managed by the same agent as Raul. I'm talking about David Albelda. He's:

- 35yo

- Defensive Mid, but can play in defence too.

- At Valencia

- Contract expires end of June

- Has played more than 50 games for Spain

- Worth around EUR500,000

Since he has the same agent as Raul, maybe JD can organise a deal and get both players at Heart for less than AUD$1,500,000.

What are your thoughts?

Are you serious that the Visitors are looking at this guy? They must've seen my post from the 7th of May!! lol

Next thing you know they'll be signing Raul as well since he has the same manager! FFS why does it always seem like we're one step behind?

I get the same feeling too.

here is a bit of Transfer news from the Championship (given JA / HF are in the UK at the moment) .... would take Beckford, he would carve it up in the A-League

*Barnsley release Marlon Harewood

*Wolves will not offer new deals to out-of-contract Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Stephen Hunt and Christophe Berra following relegation to League One.

*Lee Novak set for Huddersfield Town exit also Midfielder Scott Arfield and defender Tom Clarke have also been told their contracts will not be renewed.

*Blackpool - Among those released are Portuguese midfielder Tiago Gomes, who played 27 times in all competitions last term …

*Bolton Wanderers are in talks to sign Leicester striker Jermaine Beckford.

*Hull …But Sonny Bradley, Lewis Clarkson, Mark Cullen, Andy Dawson, Jamie Devitt, Kealan Dillon, Daniel East, Daniel Emerton, Francis McCaffrey, Paul McKenna, Seyi Olofinjana and Jay Simpson have all been let go.

*Sheffield Wednesday - Goalkeeper Nicky Weaver and defender Julian Bennett have been released. And midfielder Nejc Pecnik has left the club by mutual consent despite having a year left on his deal. Youngsters Matthew Fletcher, Harry Grant …  have not been offered new deals at the club

*Peterborough United transfer list Gabby Zakuani

nice tweet to Scotty

His response made me happy. Praying he makes it happen. I'm sure he is aware of how big it'd be.

1. Greek national hero

2. Big name player

3. Playing at a high level

4. Experience in many leagues/competiti

Boutsi is coming to Heart??? :o

nice tweet to Scotty

His response made me happy. Praying he makes it happen. I'm sure he is aware of how big it'd be.

1. Greek national hero

2. Big name player

3. Playing at a high level

4. Experience in many leagues/competitions

5. Can speak English

6. Melbournes big greek community

7. Provides a high quality solution to a position that has always troubled us.

Tbh he would be a bigger marquee signing than Del Piero (unless he had come to a Melb team). Karagounis is absolutely our ideal marquee / the club should throw *almost* everything at him. Realistically, how much could he ask for? I doubt he was on amazing wages at Fulham and like Del Piero his wages will be offset by increased ticket sales and merchandising.

I'm not even Greeeeeek and I'm begging for this to happen. Mon Fart FC, breathe life into our 2013/2014 season.

• Like 2

He was on €700,000 at Fulham (~$900k+), and has just come off as runner-up in their POTY award.

Seeing as we forked out $1.4m+ on a very mediocre coach for two seasons, if the club is not capable of at least matching those wages for a season or two is really unfair. Not to mention the FFA will probably contribute to his wages.

The club has given a yelp of ambition for this season - signing Karagounis would be equivalent to sounding war drums and doing the Haka of ambition.

Seriously - which Greek team is going to spend $1m/aud on Karagounis. My limited understand of the Greek league and the climate of that country implies that they struggle to pay players as it is.

any truth to the schwarzer and darren bent rumours?

Bent would win the golden boot by about 10 goals providing our midfielders gave him enough service, such a good finisher!

I don't reckon Schwarz would come here though, he's said time and time again he wants to keep proving himself at the top level which realistically is the EPL.