Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Reports suggest van Bommel will retire from football at the end of the season. Something about a Dutch farewell match being organised for him.

There is a Brazilian floating around who played ACL and tore it up by the name of Eninho - plays for Jeonbuk I think. Worth a look.

Another name, out of contract and bashing in goals in the Serie B - MASSIMO MACCARONE.

marn11, on 15 Apr 2013 - 18:34, said:

Well this thread has turned to shit, fast.

Yes, lets get back to what made this thread great:

Totti.

Drogba

Raul.

Madaschi.

I'd put Luca Toni on that list. 47 caps for Italy and was scoring goals for fun between 2003 and 2010. Would easily get the golden boot imo

We should honestly offer Ronaldinho $5m+, for a 7-8 month deal, and just see what happens...

Now that Becks has rejected us, he's defs the biggest name availible, other than those around the world who have many years left at the top...

Notible mentions; Seedorf, Raul and Henry.

Dream big, etc.

We should honestly offer Ronaldinho $5m+, for a 7-8 month deal, and just see what happens...

Now that Becks has rejected us, he's defs the biggest name availible, other than those around the world who have many years left at the top...

Notible mentions; Seedorf, Raul and Henry.

Dream big, etc.

He's one of those names that nearly everyone knows and I'm sure people who said they'd never come and watch a game, would be interested in. Beckham & Henry the only names I think are bigger that aren't a messi or Ronaldo. He's got the show time skills, creativity & finishing to put plenty of bums on seats and bring on field results.

But at the end of the day it all comes down to the all mighty $

Seems financially responsible :up:

When I say 'see what happens' thats in regards to him excepting the deal.

As for the actual investment, I imagine he virtually pays for himself...

Hypothetical break-down:

Shirt sales + Merchandise: ~$2.5m+ (ADP's shirt apparently made over $7m in sales this season, before costs and ADPs cut...)

2,000+ new members: ~$500k+

30% increase in attendance: ~$750k+ (This year we get a bonus home game pls 2 derbies)

New sponsors (see Sydney FC) - could be in excess of $1m

FFA - up to $1m

Sidwell - At least $500k

+ international deals, telecast deals, appearnces, endorsements, exibtion game(s), etc.

That's already over said investment, anything else would be gravy...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Slight draw card (anyone who's played FM or FIFA in the last few years has probably signed him at some point :up:) with a massive potential on-field presence - Roque Santa Cruz

Finally a free agent, big, strong, quick and a clinical finisher.

And he doesn't have to worry about the WC, Paraguay are dead last in qualifiers, by some distance.

Like everyone else mentioned, probably about a 0.01% chance...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Slight draw card (anyone who's played FM or FIFA in the last few years has probably signed him at some point :up:) with a massive potential on-field presence - Roque Santa Cruz

Finally a free agent, big, strong, quick and a clinical finisher.

And he doesn't have to worry about the WC, Paraguay are dead last in qualifiers, by some distance.

Like everyone else mentioned, probably about a 0.01% chance...

Good prospect. Malaga CF is in financial trouble, currently banned from European competition next season (although appealing the ban). He or Saviola would be great although Saviola may be financially out of reach

GEKAS scored 2 goals overnight to beat Besiktas. We should seriously look at GEKAS.

he has a great goal scoring record. Pretty much scores wherever he goes

"On 25 January 2013, Gekas signed a six-month contract with Süper Lig side Akhisar Belediyespor. He scored a goal on his debut on 1 February 2013 against Kayserispor." [Wikipedia]

He will be available in a few months! Someone who can be top scorer in the Bundesliga with a club fighting relegation and then top scorer for Bayer Leverkusen, you'd think he'd rip it up in the A-League...not sure we can compete with Turkish salaries, however a Marquee wage and a Melburnian laid-back lifestyle might be enough to entice him  :) 

GEKAS scored 2 goals overnight to beat Besiktas. We should seriously look at GEKAS.

but he is greek....

...which means about 10% of Melbourne will come out to see him play! Even if you don't get the 3rd+ gen Greeks, the 1st and 2nd generation Greeks will come out and watch him play...we'll get bigger crowds than when Del Piero came to visit!  ;)

Imagine Pirlo in midfield and Gekas up front! You'll get a quarter of Melbourne's population watching! :-)

I'd love to see it but Pirlo is still an active member of the Azzuri and it's the lead up to his last World Cup. The other problem is that he would cost as much as the rest of the HAL put together including ADP

Fabio Grosso. 

Luca Antonini. 

Alessandro Diamanti.

Mario Yepes.

and if we end up with some 30+ year old italian striker i will flip out. 

Sergio Floccari. (coming to think of it, would be perfect... 30+ y.o. striker etc)

someone like Fabrizio Miccoli or Alberto Gilardino  :wub:

Imagine Pirlo in midfield and Gekas up front! You'll get a quarter of Melbourne's population watching! :-)

I'd love to see it but Pirlo is still an active member of the Azzuri and it's the lead up to his last World Cup. The other problem is that he would cost as much as the rest of the HAL put together including ADP

lol he earns more every week than any of our players did for the whole year last year.

and can everyone please stop mentioning Totti. not only would i hate to see him line up for a rabble of a club like us but its more likely that the great Diego Maradona would come out of retirement and play for us. 

but he is greek.... ...which means about 10% of Melbourne will come out to see him play! Even if you don't get the 3rd+ gen Greeks, the 1st and 2nd generation Greeks will come out and watch him play...we'll get bigger crowds than when Del Piero came to visit!  ;)If that's the case why was Olympiacos' tour of Melbourne, Greece's biggest club, such a failure...?