Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

With the relative success of Shinji, Japan is a very viable option in regards to pursuing our marquee man. Pre-2002 world cup, Football in Japan was only the beginning, yards behind baseball. Post-2002, its arguable that football has caught up, or even slightly overtaken baseball in certain aspects. The thing is Shinji has the hunger to grow the game here in Australia, and I'm sure other Japanese players around the same as Shinji would see the A-League as a very interesting and attractive challenge.

Inamoto, Endo, K. Nakamura, S. Nakamura are all somewhat realistic options, with the persuasion of Shinji. The big plus with the two Nakas is that both of them can speak english to a certain extent. Shunsuke with his time at Celtic and I believe Kengo even has a degree in English iirc. More notably both Inamoto and Shunsuke have proven themselves in Europe.

In regards to the crowd pulling factor, I'm well aware the Japanese community is Melbourne is very small compared to Sydney, but I'm confident they will provide a bigger catchment then just the small Japanese expatriate community. The Chinese that don't live in China are especially not fond of the PRC and the Japanese prejudice doesn't really translate down under. The target audience wouldn't just be limited to the Japanese but the asian community as a whole.

• Like 4

With the relative success of Shinji, Japan is a very viable option in regards to pursuing our marquee man. Pre-2002 world cup, Football in Japan was only the beginning, yards behind baseball. Post-2002, its arguable that football has caught up, or even slightly overtaken baseball in certain aspects. The thing is Shinji has the hunger to grow the game here in Australia, and I'm sure other Japanese players around the same as Shinji would see the A-League as a very interesting and attractive challenge.

Inamoto, Endo, K. Nakamura, S. Nakamura are all somewhat realistic options, with the persuasion of Shinji. The big plus with the two Nakas is that both of them can speak english to a certain extent. Shunsuke with his time at Celtic and I believe Kengo even has a degree in English iirc. More notably both Inamoto and Shunsuke have proven themselves in Europe.

In regards to the crowd pulling factor, I'm well aware the Japanese community is Melbourne is very small compared to Sydney, but I'm confident they will provide a bigger catchment then just the small Japanese expatriate community. The Chinese that don't live in China are especially not fond of the PRC and the Japanese prejudice doesn't really translate down under. The target audience wouldn't just be limited to the Japanese but the asian community as a whole.

Because it was wet when we played WSW we moved from our seats on the western wing to the southern end. Very noticeable what a multi-cultural support base we do have. I don't see anything wrong in us trying to build on that. To me that's where a major growth opportunity lies, both in terms of investors in the club, players, members and supporters. I have some ideas on this that I may canvass during the off-season in the inevitable 'Membership 2013-14' thread that will surface shortly!

Bresciano was a marquee quality player a few years ago. He is not now imo. Absolutely no comparison to Ono and Del Piero. Get a quality player, not someone who is so obviously well past their peak like Bresciano. 

Why not try for one of our younger Socceroos? If the money is right there's a good chance we can sign one. 

If Bresciano is not at Heart next season, I will write-off the season before it's even begun!

So, um... has anyone actually SEEN Bresciano play lately? Or are we assuming he's still as good as he was in 2006?

Yep i have no idea, i would take the known in Garcia atm (as Australian Marquee), he is one of the best players in the league.

But gun for both of them, Bresciano to Replace Fred in Midfield. 

I still believe signing good internationals will be the difference, replace Fred with a Broich/Flores/Carrusca type 

Germano is below what i want from an international position, you get a handful of spots so we need to use them appropriately and high quality players who will be the difference, not role players like Worm and Germano, and below standards like terra, Maicon

If Bresciano is not at Heart next season, I will write-off the season before it's even begun!

So, um... has anyone actually SEEN Bresciano play lately? Or are we assuming he's still as good as he was in 2006?

iirc he was a standout last year when playing in one of the soceroos games for wcq.

• Like 1

interesting. i'm no expert i haven't been following him much since lazio days. wikipedia isn't exactly reliable either.

i am also in the boat of 'prefer a young socceroo' than a coming home one. wiki says he signed a three year contract last year so i don't know.

Last I recall it was a two year contract he had signed almost two years ago. He is in his second year of his stint at the Arabic club so I'm hoping he'll be wearing red & white stripes next season (in Australia (in the A-League)).

If Kevin Davies signs I'll attend every Melbourne Heart game he plays, period.

You attend anyway. We need a marque that will bring the fans that have not chosen a melbourne team. If we dont we are doomed because the visitros will grow even more. Wake up Mr Munn

Should have made this clear, I'm a Bolton fan with 2 different Kevin Davies jerseys,  I'll fly to every game he plays :D

Tommykins, on 28 Mar 2013 - 09:58, said:
Heart of Melbourne, on 27 Mar 2013 - 22:37, said:
Tommykins, on 27 Mar 2013 - 21:45, said:If Kevin Davies signs I'll attend every Melbourne Heart game he plays, period.
You attend anyway. We need a marque that will bring the fans that have not chosen a melbourne team. If we dont we are doomed because the visitros will grow even more. Wake up Mr Munn
Should have made this clear, I'm a Bolton fan with 2 different Kevin Davies jerseys,  I'll fly to every game he plays

Next home game i'm buying you a pint at the imp. Go Trotters!!