Melbourne Football

Round 15 - MHFC v Brisbane - Sun Jan 6th @ 4pm

Caddy

Shaky opening to the game until Willo scored. Thommo and Fred passing it more to the opposition than a team mate. Again Marrone with a good run through the middle, would love to see him in there on a regular basis to enable us to quickly break from defence to attack rather than passing it backwards all the time.

Take the result. Can't really be fussy when you're 2nd bottom.

Would like us to be able to keep posession and pass through a defence, and not rely on speed all the time. Also no point pressing defending a 3-0 lead allow Brisbane space to play in our half.

We haven't won away from home in a year, or outplayed a good team with posesssion play. That'll be the test from here.

• Like 1

The win is welcome and good however:

I'm not comfortable with us playing counter-attack at home however we really don't have the troops to play possession football and it's certainly effective against Roar.

our positioning was much better this game but our ball retention needs to improve especially in midfield.

We sta too deep after Williams was dismissed and were duly punished. It happens every time.

The team actually showed some heart, and showed it for 90 minutes - well done.

In retrospect Germano came off too early, but only in retrospect. The 2 attacking subs changed the game ffor us and were a good move however there were no defenders on the bench anyway.

Great banner, I'm sure that it had an impact on the players

• Like 4

Liked the game today, Thompson and Fred both spend alot of time in position really making slow decisions and getting caught but we dont have many other options at present.... fingers crossed something comes from Edwards potentially and Grella can get his arse fit that would help imo. Dangerous up front Gracia is class and William Tadic and Gol gol all look good together so can be positive. Liking Gerhardt and Colosimo too.at present.

Yarraside were great. Behich rocked as always loved him getting fired up at Halloran or that other blonde flog he is great

• Like 1

Don't understand Aloisi at all. Once again no defender on the bench, and I can't understand what he sees in either Macallister or Hoffman.

A win, yes, but another nail-biter as we almost blew a 3-0 lead mainly because our midfield was missing in action. Thompson had another shocker, and he and Fred coughed up the ball so many times. Their decision-making is far too slow.

IMO Gerhardt just shaded it as our best player today.

Match award to a revitalised Yarraside.

• Like 1

Hoffman did alright when he came on given the situation we were in.

I don't know what has happened to the Matt Thompson we know or knew. The bloke on the field today came close to costing us the game. He was slow, couldn't hit a pass - absolute shocker. I can't understand why JA is sticking with him as a defensive midfielder when he has never looked comfortable in the role and is ineffective. We have both Gerhardt and Marone who can play there and have Vrankovic and Walker who can fit in seamlessly to free them up. So why continue to persist with Thompson who is so much better in a free role which then puts pressure on Fred to step up?

Poor Josip Tadic was going for so many high balls and I think it is fair to say that he is not great in the air. He lost almost every header he contested.

The boys looked out of sorts again today even at 3-0 up. We need someone to put a foot on the ball and use it.

Got the result though. Top six. Now we need to keep winning to close in on the top three.

• Like 1

Don't understand Aloisi at all. Once again no defender on the bench, and I can't understand what he sees in either Macallister or Hoffman.

A win, yes, but another nail-biter as we almost blew a 3-0 lead mainly because our midfield was missing in action. Thompson had another shocker, and he and Fred coughed up the ball so many times. Their decision-making is far too slow.

IMO Gerhardt just shaded it as our best player today.

Match award to a revitalised Yarraside.

A-league benches are just so small, i think he is being "smart" knowing that Thomson can or has played CB when needed so he can put an extra midfielder on the bench and then throw back Thompson for 20 minutes when needed if ever giving us that extra midfield/wing/strike option rather than a CB ect when Colosimo and Gerhardt more often than not run out a game?

Edited by Mentor
  • Like 1

Another entertaining home match that got the crowd involved. We had pretty much none of these under JVS.

Yarraside was so much fuller and louder than last week, the ticketing changes making a difference? Shouldn't boo our own players though, pretty shit move by those that did it.

Maybe, i know it was just a better time, i wasnt on 2.5x pay or at 530 saturday when i have sporting commitments and have no chance to get to a game like many others when we get the rubbish 530 time slot on saturdays. it all would help

JA's subs choices continue to perplex me. DMac, Hoffman, and Gol Gol. For one, we know Hoffman isn't a defensive mid, and shouldn't be played there. Where is Vrankovic, and to a lesser extent J. Walker? Both are good players that would be better suited to our current 'fade out after half time' style of play.

True, DMac was quite handy when he came on, and Gol Gol will probably start next week in place of Williams, but do we really need what are essentially three attacking minded players on our bench?

• Like 1

Sitting just too the left of the active section with a friend who isn't a member, but is a huge fan, it was great. Although my abuse may have scared the children in front of me for life, sorry about that if their parents are on here. Great singing both during the last ten minutes and after the game too. Nice gesture from Garcia and Colosimo too.

Theoklitos should have been off and Halloran could have gone too. Wasn't the prettiest game but the roar looked very good, so it was nice to get a win, then a $6 entry into the cricket.

Exciting game and just great we won in the end. Although there were a horrible number of turn overs, our midfield functions so much better with Germano in there.

Garcia and Tadic are class and PG is a rock in defence at present. When our boys click in attack, the moves are world class.

JA is improving each week and it is good to see him being more responsive to what is happening on the pitch. I like the fact also that he is getting our wingers to swap flanks at times during the game to change things up. I reckon I was not alone today in the last fifteen minutes of the game thinking that we could have dropped points.

On JA, he is often discussing things with Foxe during the game which really shows, based on inexperience, we sort of have two blokes running the show....games like today, invaluable.

Yarraside today were brilliant and may very well be the reason for us winning...the players tweeted their thanks...they took notice

JA's subs choices continue to perplex me. DMac, Hoffman, and Gol Gol. For one, we know Hoffman isn't a defensive mid, and shouldn't be played there. Where is Vrankovic, and to a lesser extent J. Walker? Both are good players that would be better suited to our current 'fade out after half time' style of play.

True, DMac was quite handy when he came on, and Gol Gol will probably start next week in place of Williams, but do we really need what are essentially three attacking minded players on our bench?

Agreed wholeheartedly.

How does Roffman still get games now that Germano is back?

We are in dire need of another central midfielider - Fred needs players of equal/better quality around him, Thompson is a shadow of his former self, Roffman isn't a central mid.

Right now I'm dreaming of this formation:

Redmayne

Marrone - Gerhardt - Colosimo - Behich

Grella

Germano - Fred

Garcia - Tadic - Gol Gol

Bolton, Vrankovic, Thompson, D-Mac.