Melbourne Football

Round 10 - Melbourne v Perth - 8 Dec, 5:30pm

LR9

Team is as depressing as the support of 90% of the cunts in Y-Side. It's already only 70% full, and most just stand around fucking fondling themselves.

Few trying their hardest but it's a hopeless cause ATM. Used to be against Ando getting stuck in to everyone but now I see why. Farken frustrating.

I'm very pleased to see that my pre-game predication was wrong. A game of firsts, our first goal against Perth for a year, the first time we didn't just meekly capitulate to their bullying, the first time we tried for the whole 90 minutes, the first time our second half football was better than our first, forst HAL goal for Gol Gol. Interesting observation, our second clean sheet and both games without Marrone and Behich. I'm not suggesting that it's causally linked especially as Chris Harold regularly got behind Jeremy Walker who looked good going forward but needs to work on his defensive positioning. Colosimo is still a liability, how did he avoid a yellow for that blatant handball right in front of the linesman? Smeltz had 2 free headers on goal that in the past would have gone in, lucky for us he's not in good scoring form at the moment.

Jacob Burns is no credit to the league or to Perth, what a thug!

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Well let's be honest, that could have gone either way. A Smeltz header on target, Fred clutching his chance, a great save by Bolton, or Tadic being on target at 3 minute mark meant both sides had chances. Fortunately fate smiles upon us kindly today and we get the points. Good luck to Gol Gol - a dream debut for the lad. Some real positives today and a few real concerns - the biggest worry being the crowd size. Didn't hear it announced or see it on the screen. Did I miss it or was it too embarrassing to announce??

On the plus side it was good to see Aloisi so fired up today. I thought he and Jacob Burns were about to take it outside the ground as they went down the tunnel at half time. Pretty fired up about the last hit on Tadic before half time and the spray was great to see. Would explain why the lads came out so fired up after half time. Two clean sheets without our regular LB and RB is encouraging and means we may have discovered some defensive depth. Walker was far more aggressive than Mitchinson and got turned a few times, but the early signs were positive for both of them. They didn't shirk any issues despite taking on far stronger physical opposition and they both looked completely spent coming off at the end. You couldn't fault their endeavor. I thought Kalmar had a really solid game today and provided much need strength on the ball given the aggression of Perth. He provided some nice turns and through balls, and in the first half was one of the few players having a real dip. We looked a lot better when he went into midfield and Fred out to the wing. Willo pressed hard all day right to the end. He pushed himself into the red zone pretty frequently and maintained defensive pressure really well. Also wasn't afraid to shoot - something others could look at.

As above, concerns re crowd size. The other worry was our midfield which looked totally dysfunctional. Fred is down on form, fitness and confidence and Thommo had a shocker - turned the ball over so many times and decision making was really poor. Hoff was serviceable but the three of them just dont seem to gel together at all. As such the service to Tadic was pretty ordinary and he battled on as best he could given the circumstances. I'm trying to think how this will improve given Garcia has been so good on the wing and Germano and Grella are indefinites. Would be interested in other peoples thoughts but the middle of the park was almost conceded ground today.

• Like 1

Only change is Golgol on the bench, fuck.

All that was needed.

Wait for the headlines "Gol Gol Goal!".

Second half was a great improvement on the first both by the players and supporters. Perhaps the weather encouraged a few people to stay home.

Thompson should have been dropped at half time but looked much better when given more freedom to roam in the second half - the defensive role doesn't suit him. PG, who played well should be moved to defensive midfield. Fred was poor again and Colosimo... Walker continues to look the goods and on form for us should keep Marone out of the side. Mitchinson was solid. Clint saved us yet again despite seeming a bit dazed from the knock to the head.

Williams has grunt and is not afraid to shoot! One of our better players although his corners and crosses need work. Tadic looked good but should have been replaced by D-Mac earlier as he seemed tired.

All in all, a good performance given the numbers of players we have out and against a side we usually struggle against.

Happy tonight :).

The bad -

1) Fred on the wing??? He's a central player, play him there.

2) JA not realizing within the first 5 min that Fred had no idea how to play on the wing.

3) I don't really think that Kalmar is up to it. I've always liked him but he's a big guy and he gets pushed off the ball far too easily. Walker needs to show Kalmar how to use his body to protect and keep the ball.

4) Colosmio is still taking forever on the ball, letting the defense set themselves. JA doesn't seems to have to balls to tell players like Colosimo that they need to up their game or they are out.

5) Thompson..... A squad player but I also find myself thinking that maybe he's not up to the higher standard that the A League has stepped up too.

The Good -

1) Golgol. Definitely could be a dangerous, especially as an impact sub.

2) Tadic. Looks better and better the longer the season goes on. What he makes out of the scraps he gets from our midfield is unbelievable.

3) Walker. In attack he was brilliant. Really happy to see him play well. Looks like he plays a lot like Behich getting down the wing. Was caught out a few times in defense but overall one of our better players. Mitchinson not so much. Tbh I think he has got poorer with each game, but he's still young and could be anything (especially if he gets rid of that god aweful hairstyle he has lol).

4) Paddy G. Pretty happy with his progress. I get the feeling that the longer the season goes on the more of an infield leader he is becoming. JA, no excuse to play Colosimo when Paddy can command the back with Vrankovic.

5) Ummm, how about the Jerseys, I like the jerseys......

I think we'll line up something like this:

------------------------Tadic------------------------

Williams----------------------------------Fred ©

----------------Kalmar----Hoffman--------------

--------------------Thompson--------------------

Mitchinson--Gerhardt----Colosimo--Walker

-----------------------Bolton-----------------------

SUBS:

Redmayne

Vrankovic

Macallister

Mebrahtu/Mauk

Omitted:

Gray

MaliMate gonna...

• Like 4

Really happy we just won tonight, not the most glorious win tonight but fuck it we will take it.

Whats going on with yarraside? Fucking half empty when i got there, not good enough.

Also the crowd was fucken shit, Sick of hearing excuses 'oh it was too hot, too windy for me'.

People need to either harden the fuck up, go and support there team, or watch the club fold in 5 years time

• Like 1

While I agree he had a great game, he won't keep a player who is probably in the top 2 or 3 right backs in the league out.

I wonder if his form would make JA consider using Marone as a defensive midfielder as JVS did? At least then the NYL boys will know that if they come in and do a good job, they won't be axed for the name players (who haven't been performing as well as they have in the past).

I know a local Socceroo around 15 years ago complained that as soon as overseas players were available, they would be dropped regardless of performance. This season Marone hasn't been as effective down the right and I would like to see Walker retain his spot which would put pressure on all players and reward Walker who has done little wrong and a lot right. We lost Craig Goodwin last season after he came in and did well and Walker doesn't deserve to be dropped. It is up to Marone to earn his spot back.

Mind you if Marone was played as a midfielder, he wouldn't be running down the wing for us. So what would we chant then?

It was an ugly win but I will happily take it and the 4 points from 2 games without Garcia and Behich.

I was thinking Marrone to DM with Walker at RB, perhaps not straight after returning from Socceroos duty though.

Could Fred be playing within himself? Not trying to have a go, very understandable considering how often he has been getting injured.

Really happy with Walker and Mitchinson. Both stood up when it counted, especially Mitchinson late in the game. Gerhardt outstanding for us. Our problem is midfield and lack of movement there, and too many first touches backwards - we lose a lot of forward momentum that way. Poor Matty Thompson had another shocker, and he and Fred turn over the ball so often.

Very happy with the win.

Positives and negatives today.

Some Negatives:

Lack of creativity in midfield

These guys bleed every week for the club and give it everything but Fred and Thompson look to be past their best, not just today but for the majority of the season.

Positives:

The way Walker and Mitchinson played was really impressive. Astute defending and some good attacking runs down the wings, they also made a couple of very good tackles.

Tadic had a few good moments I thought, with better service he would be an absolute jet.

Bolton, although he was shaky at times, was solid on the whole and kept a clean sheet.

Gerhardt and Colosimo pretty much shut down Mehmet and Smeltz, zero influence on the game.

Also well done to the Yarraside boys, lots of voice today I thought

MaliMate gonna...

Think Gerhardt and Shime were the other way round though?

I think Walker needs to be repositioned into a wing back rather than a full back, wasn't the best defensively but was a real asset running up that wing. Mitchinson is class though, shame he won't get much of a shot when Behich is back in the team.

Fred is meh, surely won't have a contract with us next year. Thompson too was frustrating. Kalmar played really well though, was impressed.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Happy that for once lady luck smiled on us.

We're still playing ordinary football though.

Our midfielders are rubbish. Honestly Fred, Thomspon and Hoffman all need to be let go at the end of the season. Fred is a shell of the player he was even 12 months ago. Unbelievably bad finishing. Thompson is far too slow, and just takes any forward momentum away. Hoffman is Hoffman. BTW we let midfielder Klim Tasevski go and in only 12 games for Moreland (team mate was Andrew Nabout) he won VPL under 21 player of the Year.

Tadic is class and you just wonder what he could do if he actually played in a team with a midfield.

The two young fullbacks are not IMO ready to be starting 11 players.

Williams was good.

We are at best a counter attacking side, and that is basically our "system". It won't bring the punters in, especially with the way that Victree are in fact playing a possession-based style.

On the crowd,people stopped going- I am one- because they don't want to see shit football played by shit players. don't give this "community club" business.

Really happy with Walker and Mitchinson. Both stood up when it counted, especially Mitchinson late in the game. Gerhardt outstanding for us. Our problem is midfield and lack of movement there, and too many first touches backwards - we lose a lot of forward momentum that way. Poor Matty Thompson had another shocker, and he and Fred turn over the ball so often.

Very happy with the win.

Spot on pretty much.

Our midfield lack mobility. Thompson is stagnant, Fred can't move, Hoffman is an average player, Kalmar slow. It is deplorable. We went from so much promise with the ball to clueless with it in the midfield. We are very old in their and lack creativity, pace and guile. Thompson, Fred and Colossimo should all be said goodbye to at years end. Major restructure of the playing list needed.

As above, concerns re crowd size. The other worry was our midfield which looked totally dysfunctional. Fred is down on form, fitness and confidence and Thommo had a shocker - turned the ball over so many times and decision making was really poor. Hoff was serviceable but the three of them just dont seem to gel together at all. As such the service to Tadic was pretty ordinary and he battled on as best he could given the circumstances. I'm trying to think how this will improve given Garcia has been so good on the wing and Germano and Grella are indefinites. Would be interested in other peoples thoughts but the middle of the park was almost conceded ground today.

I agree, Thompson's decision making seems almost glacial at times and it really slows down transition. Fred is good on the ball but has Hoff-like finishing abilities. I'd really like to see Germano, PG, Kalmar and Grella in midfield (not necessarily all at once). The back 4 need to communicate better, there were several 2 on 1s where the 1 Perth player passed our defenders who got in each other's way, CCM will punish us if that happens next week. Colosimo is not an ideal CB, I wonder why JA peersists with him.

Our forwards are working well, Williams is starting to play like we all expected from him although his final ball is inaccurate too often. Tadic really is a classy player and I enjoy watching him, that pass to GolGol was just wonderful.

The other thing was JA showing some real leadership in the tunnel facing down bruiser Burns, I think that that was responsible for the second half lift in performance.

The crowd looked bad on tv, I couldn't go because work sucks, I asked for the day off weeks ago and they rostered me on anyway. Dicks. Anyway, weather is no excuse not to turn up to games, although, 5:30 on a Saturday is bad for many people (Not making excuses for the people who don't go, but still). I think we just need to get some actual wins on the board, start playing decently, and then crowds should increase with it. They should.

Anyway, the game! Tadic. Class, the fact that he can create chances with the shit our midfield gives him is an indicator of how good he may be with Garcia, Grella and Germano running around the midfield. Gol Gol, the super sub haha! PG seems to get better every week, Walker was really good, did get beaten in defence a few times, but when he did something, it was usually good. Hoffman wasn't awful today, he was just average. Thompson really looks past it, as does Fred, and of course, Colosimo is way past it aswell.

It was also good to see some passion from JA, and the team in general, something we need to bring every week, but this could be that confidence boost we may need? I don't know, but it is a small step in the right direction considering how shit our midfield was I suppose haha!