Melbourne Football

Round 10 - Melbourne v Perth - 8 Dec, 5:30pm

LR9

I am surprised the crowd was THAT low. I knew it was a shit crowd but didn't think it was that bad. Results are what will bring people to games and thankfully we got one yesterday.

I thought the boys actually played pretty well.. At least they played with some intensity, especially in the second half and created some good chances and showed promising signs going forward.

Bolton barely received any back passes in the second half which is probably a good indicator that we are playing ok. What a save he pulled off!

Kalmar was class on the ball and always kept possession which got the midfield working a little. He should be ahead of Thompson when all the players get back.

Walker made some mistakes but for me he should retain his place even when Marrone gets back.

Tadic is fantastic and creates more on his own than the midfield put together.

The relief when that goal went in amongst the fans was unbelievable.

Wasn't the best performance, but certainly wasn't the worst, atleast there was plenty of effort shown by the boys out on the park.

Fred and Thommo are really struggling atm, would like to see Marrone move into midfield to add a bit more drive, would also allow Walker a chance to continue to develop at RB.

In the first half it was more of a 4-4-1-1 with Kalmar floating behind Tadic and Fred and Willo occupying the wide roles. Didn't really work with Thommo and Hoffman as the central midfielders turning the ball over too often.

The FFA has said they will investigate the Aloisi-Burns incident at half time. Whilst not a good look for our club, it was pleasing to see some real passion from the coach and team. A bit of a storm in a teacup in the end between two combatants. . What the FFA should be more concerned about is Fergusons spray of officials. I sat behind the Perth bench and the way he spoke and behaved to the fourth official was disgusting. The language and physical intimidation were really poor. He should have been ejected and I think this is far more serious.

Not going to happen under any circumstances, but can Marrone play a bit of centre-half? Haven't seen him there, but certainly wouldn't mind it if it would allow us to keep one of the younger full backs in the squad.

I think Marrone is more suited to a flat back 3 if he is going to be a CB.

Having Marrone and Thompson being able to fill in at CB means we shouldn't have a pure CB on the bench IMO. Sure if we had a 5 man bench but the A-League bench is (annoyingly) limited to 3 outfield players. You have to use them all or go with less subs. Trying to bring on a CB is disruptive, only suitable when a CB is injured/red carded as they don't really need rests. Mitchinson is another who can fill in at CB whilst offering LB which would mean we could move Behich into winger role.

Macallister is another example of offering poor flexibility off the bench. Nothing against him, just that he doesn't suit playing alongside Tadic and Josip is ahead of him. Macallister should only really come on for Tadic. If Tadic is injured/playing poorly we can replace him in the middle with Williams or possibly Garcia, bring on GolGol on wings.

I would go with a bench something like this...

Redmayne as reserve GK obviously

Thompson who can pretty much play anywhere- this sub role could perhaps add time to his carreer

GolGol comes on for a winger or Tadic allowing for Williams/Garcia to move into CF

J.Walker/Mitchinson- Walker can play as RB freeing up Marrone to play CB/DM or go on to wing. Mitchinson can go to LB freeing up Behich or CB

Agreed.

IMO people should stop worrying about crowd size and the passion shown by Heart fans and all that sort of thing. Leave concern about finances etc. to the owners of the club - Sidell and his syndicate. There's no getting away from the fact that we are the second A-League club to be established in Melbourne, and as such it will take time for our support to build. Those people who jumped on the A-League wagon eight seasons ago jumped on the MV wagon, and they're not likely to switch to Heart in any significant number. It may be that we will always have a different type of supporter base.

Perth are hardly the most glamorous opponent, and their record against us suggested that we might lose again at home. With the other circumstances yesterday (they are not excuses) I'm not surprised the attendance was on the low side. I pretty much had to drag my wife along.

I don't resile from the view expressed by many on here - it's winning more matches at home and playing attractive football that will ultimately increase our supporter base.

People looking at this forum see a lot of negativity about the club - all the 'Sack' threads - so maybe a good starting point would be to make the forum more positive. Start talking the club up and not down.

What I know about yesterday is what a good feeling it was to go home on the train talking about a win.

Farken braaavo!!! Great post!

Am probably in the minority, but I don't mind being a small club as long as it is sustainable which I guess is much hard to do with not a lot of fans. Would rather loyal fans that come on a regular basis and support the club instead of a bunch of bandwagon jumpers that come when we win only. Our fan base are mostly great and friendly people and there were collective celebrations all over the place yesterday after the goal. The community engagement and trying to connect with state league clubs is something that drew me to the club so I don't ever want that to stop. There is huge potential with the amount of people following state league clubs that don't go to A-League. I believe that it will pay off eventually.

Edited by kontra.11
  • Like 1

Agreed.

IMO people should stop worrying about crowd size and the passion shown by Heart fans and all that sort of thing. Leave concern about finances etc. to the owners of the club - Sidwell and his syndicate. There's no getting away from the fact that we are the second A-League club to be established in Melbourne, and as such it will take time for our support to build. Those people who jumped on the A-League wagon eight seasons ago jumped on the MV wagon, and they're not likely to switch to Heart in any significant number. It may be that we will always have a different type of supporter base.

Perth are hardly the most glamorous opponent, and their record against us suggested that we might lose again at home. With the other circumstances yesterday (they are not excuses) I'm not surprised the attendance was on the low side. I pretty much had to drag my wife along.

I don't resile from the view expressed by many on here - it's winning more matches at home and playing attractive football that will ultimately increase our supporter base.

People looking at this forum see a lot of negativity about the club - all the 'Sack' threads - so maybe a good starting point would be to make the forum more positive. Start talking the club up and not down.

What I know about yesterday is what a good feeling it was to go home on the train talking about a win.

Cannot agree.

I will worry about every aspect of my club. The crowd yesterday resembled a State League game. It is embarrassing and simply not good enough.

I am not happy being the other team in Melbourne. It's seems the clubs ambition has spread to some fans. I don't want to support a club with low ambition and drive. The honest truth is the club has failed in aspects of building this club. The people in charge should be held responsible. Never should the crowd drop below 5,000 people and in all honesty the club would be really worried so why shouldn't we?

It's a weird thing to say to someone to not worry about clubs finances and crowd numbers when they love and are members of the club. I don't understand how you cannot worry? Content in being shit in any aspect is something that should be driven out of the club straight away as it becomes a culture and lingers forever.

Looks like it has developed already.

I for one won't be content with crowds of 4,000 and just surviving (we won't be around after the contract if this keeps up).

I want to be the best. This defeatist attitude is deplorable. Sorry mate, simply shithouse.

• Like 3

If the 10 year contract thing sticks through, then i have confidence we can get to a sustainable level. We will get a fair share of people like me, who realise its time to give the a leauge a shot and opt for the other team rather then victory. We will be relying on more big name signings for the league, and the league standard to continue developing like it has, the games are very much watchable at the least these days. Something i didnt think in the seasons before this.

The league will take care of itself hopefully, which means we need to get our stuff in check from now till the end of the license. The fact we are in melbourne, sporting capital of the world, gives me confidence this club will succeed in the future and remain in existince, i mean surely we can at least match your perths, wellingtons and newcastles in terms of club stature and attendances. But first and foremost, a solid structure needs to be in place, establish some goals, get some personal identity and put the performances on the park and the crowd numbers will rise thats a gurantee. Making finals year in year out would be a good start, even if it means finishing sixth.

My last post maybe came across a tad harsh to JW, I apologise for that. But my points remain the same.

We currently have 5,850 members. We targeted 9,000. In any walk of life that is a fail. We also would have given a fair few of these away and I know some board members would have bought and distributed some out. This total also includes the 5 game membership out now.

I don't want the club being complacent in this 10 year license. Whilst it's good we are in Melbourne, we have already just expected the public to support us and they don't. It gives me concern rather than confidence with that aspect. Why would people come to support us?

We have seen opposition fans tell us like it is. We are boring and don't stand for anything. Again, I ask, why would new fans support us? My mate who I brought yesterday spent the majority of time on his phone and yawning. I have taken him before and sat the other end, but yesterday he was bored. He really is trying to get passionate about the club but told me yesterday he just doesn't get that feeling and said yesterday was very boring for a casual observer. Does this fact not worry the club and our fans?

It must be a trait and not a one off as our crowds have been very poor. In the Sporting capital of the world.

What that tells me is our match day experience is poor. The brand of football is poor. The club needs to act NOW to change this as bringing new people to the game is a wasted exercise for us fans. There are so many different things the club could do but just don't seem to want to do. Another aspect is on TV. Had people message me and say it was really boring that they turned off. This is an underrated aspect of attracting fans. If people can get excited with what they see on TV, they will turn up. Yesterday, we lost so many potential fans as that crowd creates a poor TV view.

As I stated, listening to SEN, to have presenters talk about relocation to Geelong as its not working here is a concern. This is now spreading throughout as we have no support. If it doesn't concern you, maybe it's time to wake up. It will be concerning the club. 10 year license or not.

Ill be honest, heart games are fucking boring. Ive seen too many 0-0 over the past 2 seasons. I'm happy to go to everygame but I can't find too many people I know who would join me.

Maybe this has more to do with yourself than Heart...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Our last 3 home games have been a wonderful 4-1 win, a very exciting (for neutrals) 3-3 draw and a hard fought 1-0 win over a tough team with half our players missing. Agree there have been some crappy away games in between, but I can't see there's too much to complain about at the moment. If people expect us to play brilliantly every home game and have lots of goals, and will only turn up if that occurs, well they are just being unrealistic and probably won't stick around anyway, the minute things don't go well.

I agree with JW on this one.

Ill be honest, heart games are fucking boring. Ive seen too many 0-0 over the past 2 seasons. I'm happy to go to everygame but I can't find too many people I know who would join me.

The facts: a total of six 0-0 A-League matches in the three seasons to date. Three at AAMI Park, and three away. The two 0-0 draws in season two were both against MV.

Maybe this has more to do with you than Heart...

Little harsh. I understand what he is saying. You take a new person to a game and they say thanks but no thanks after the experience, says more on the club than us.

I have approached and keep approaching new people all the time and keep getting a no, not interested. You don't think these people have watched the tv and said it looks boring or there are no supporters there? There is a stigma the club must shake.

I get the issues but the last few home games haven't been 'boring' IMO.

4-1 vs Roar= enough said

3-3 vs Jets= annoying for hardcores but I know a group of newbies who went (I couldn't go) who were really entertained

1-0 vs Glory= last min goal winner

Not saying we are Barca but a bit harsh to go with boring.

You didn't think the match day experience was boring yesterday. I am a passionate member and even myself was embarrassed with it.

Firstly the Roar game they had the majority of possession and we countered well and scored. Was an enjoyable game though I will give you that.

After the first two goals against Newcastle we were totally dominated with possession and at times it got boring. The late goal sparked the crowd but went back to being deflated.

Yesterday was not a great match day experience in any aspect. The last minute GolGol was great, more relief than anything but couldn't counter 88 minutes of poor atmosphere

We have got to start listening to the what outsiders are saying as we need to attract these types. Head in the stand stuff doesn't interest me like it does the people at our club.

It's also got to do with every aspect of the matchday. This is not a Yarraside issue I am talking about, but a club issue. There is No buzz at games prior to the game and at the half.

Edited by Melburnian

Our last 3 home games have been a wonderful 4-1 win, a very exciting (for neutrals) 3-3 draw and a hard fought 1-0 win over a tough team with half our players missing. Agree there have been some crappy away games in between, but I can't see there's too much to complain about at the moment. If people expect us to play brilliantly every home game and have lots of goals, and will only turn up if that occurs, well they are just being unrealistic and probably won't stick around anyway, the minute things don't go well.

I agree with JW on this one.

Your looking at it through Heart glasses. This is the problem.

Neutrals we are trying to attract are telling us the games are boring. This has only a fraction to do with on-field results you are talking about. So instead of saying we can have no complaints, we need to listen to why it isn't working.

Yesterday having the stadium only 10% full but looking like 1% was not a great start. Watching the replay now, the wings are empty, the side I sat at was empty and a section next to the Yarraside that got on TV the majority of time was empty. Why would new people want to come?

On TV you can hear the Yarraside quite clearly. Very good effort, but there is a lot of dullness in our games. I can see what these people are saying. I love the club and my passion keeps me going. What can be done to attract new people is the question, because it is simply not working is it Natalie?

I always thought I was a fairly negative/pessimistic person when it comes to my football teams. But I think you beat me on that one, Melburnian.

Wouldn't call it negativity Natalie, just not willing to accept mediocrity. Want the club to be the best it can be, currently you have to say the club is a fail.

You may be willing to accept this, I find it hard too.

Again, I am not specifically talking about the football on the pitch, but the holistic matchday experience.

Take out the VPL Grand Final, is our crowds worse than last season?

Edited by Melburnian

So Bozza goes ahead and promotes this forum on the loud speaker before the game. New people may come here to check it out and all they will see is people being negative and criticising the club.

It is less than 24 hours after an exciting late win. Can we not just enjoy it?

Worry about the crowds and marketing later, at least let us be happy for a day!

And also, even if a wife or girlfriend sleeps during the game, is that not better than not being there at all? People complain about the crowds being low, then complain about the people who do turn up?

• Like 1

And also, even if a wife or girlfriend sleeps during the game, is that not better than not being there at all? People complain about the crowds being low, then complain about the people who do turn up?

It called the 'active support area' for a reason. If they want to have a sleep than they can go sit somewhere else. Not tolerating any of the bullshit in my yarraside

It called the 'active support area' for a reason. If they want to have a sleep than they can go sit somewhere else. Not tolerating any of the bullshit in my yarraside

Sorry, didn't read your first post properly. But still, will those wives and girlfriends turn up at all if they can't sit with their boyfriends? And then maybe even the boyfriends won't even turn up if their girlfriends don't want to come?

Anyway, just think Yarraside needs to be a bit more encouraging and accepting.

Sorry, didn't read your first post properly. But still, will those wives and girlfriends turn up at all if they can't sit with their boyfriends? And then maybe even the boyfriends won't even turn up if their girlfriends don't want to come?

Anyway, just think Yarraside needs to be a bit more encouraging and accepting.

I have no problem whatsoever with people bringing there girlfriends,wifes or whatever into yarraside however it is expected that they make an attempt to join in chanting and stand with the rest of yarraside. Its just frustrating when i see 2-3 women sitting in there seats, doing nothing, when we're trying to build this terrance into the best in the league, we allow people in there who clearly would rather sit in the general admission area. Just my thoughts

Can people also please stop bringing their wifes/ girlfriends into yarraside?

half the chicks in yarraside did nothing yesterday but sit there with a grumpy look on there face

Agree, but it's not just wives and girlfriends, it's also guys bringing their mates who just sit/stand there with blank expressions not even trying to get into it. There is plenty of room in the general admin sections or the rest of the stadium to take these people, just brings the whole terrace down if there is numerous people in the active support area completely not participating.

So Bozza goes ahead and promotes this forum on the loud speaker before the game. New people may come here to check it out and all they will see is people being negative and criticising the club.

It is less than 24 hours after an exciting late win. Can we not just enjoy it?

Worry about the crowds and marketing later, at least let us be happy for a day!

I enjoyed the win (relief) last night after the game. That's enough. I now reflect on how we won, what went right and what went wrong.

Ill be positive when it requires to be.

Right now, there are more serious issues that the club have. Win was good and needed. More serious issues need attending now.

Thompson needs to go before Colosimo, he has been woeful this season. Dropping Colosimo is a bit of a risk because Vrankovic is unproven at A-League level so far, dropping Thomo still leaves us with Kalmar (who was best on ground last night imo), Germano and Grella who are both apparently close to fitness. I have zero confidence in his all round play, just gives up the ball too much, compared to Kalmar who i dont think gave away the ball yesterday at all. Tadic is all class and i cant believe people actually had Dmac pencilled in our best XI earlier on in the season.

• Like 1

Hey guys, good win yesterday, desperately needed.

Now in relation to the crowds, yesterdays was poor, despite the heat and whatever people should still be there supporting their club. I find it is more so the locally based fans who can't be bothered or whatever to go to games, I come down every time from 100+kms away, and I have sat with at least 2 people who do the same.

I do this because I'm a PASSIONATE PROUD SUPPORTER. I would love it if the negativity just stopped right now and everyone who can just gets off their asses and get to games. I know work and other committments make it hard for 5:30 Saturday games but come on, we have to make more of an effort.

The game yesterday, the best thing that could have happened was Aloisi and Burns having a little chat in the tunnel, it got the boys (and the fans) out of their slumber and everyone started to buy into the game more. Gol Gol, thank christ you scored, desperately needed.

Just one more thing about the girls, I don't know where you guys were looking but I saw 4 or 5 girls in the terrace who did their best and had a crack at the chants. My gf comes with me (has been for 2 years) and she tries as well.

Hope this is in the right forum (maybe some of this should be in the Match Day part - moderator I leave that to you)

• Like 1

The facts: a total of six 0-0 A-League matches in the three seasons to date. Three at AAMI Park, and three away. The two 0-0 draws in season two were both against MV.

And now count all those games we lost 0-1 late in the piece and the 1-1 fuck-ups late in the second half... Doubt we've won much more than 10 fixtures at home

Agreed.

IMO people should stop worrying about crowd size and the passion shown by Heart fans and all that sort of thing. Leave concern about finances etc. to the owners of the club - Sidwell and his syndicate. There's no getting away from the fact that we are the second A-League club to be established in Melbourne, and as such it will take time for our support to build. Those people who jumped on the A-League wagon eight seasons ago jumped on the MV wagon, and they're not likely to switch to Heart in any significant number. It may be that we will always have a different type of supporter base.

Apart from inviting people to games and providing atmosphere, there is little supporters can do to improve crowd figures and on field performances.

Agree the "sack" threads need to go, there is enough to discuss both on the negative and the positive. What might have started as a bit of an in joke has run it's course and I believe the feeling is these threads is that it is time to sack the "sack" threads and concentrate on the players/issues at hand.

It was a good feeling last night as we won and were the only Melbourne team this weekend to do so. Some games are ground out rather than having a heap of flair. We have had some very good performances this year and we will hopefully have some more, a lot more.

It is the ups and downs which makes our game so great. Enjoy all the emotions - especially when we win!

• Like 1

The facts: all those 0-0s I took some people with me... Regretfully. Throw in a couple 1-0 loses and you get a very very boring display of football. None of those people have come to games with me again, bar the mrs coz I drag her by the hair.

Call it unlucky but Unfortunaly I havnet seen too many interesting aleague games in the last couple years. Just for the record only game i went to before heart formed was the record breaking victory vs sydney game and guess what it eneded 0-0. Never went to another game again. Aleague quality of football is simply piss poor and if you compare it to what most people see on TV it's a fucking joke. I've seen people laugh at what they see (includes me) : shit crosses, poor passing, shocking shooting and Freds finishing. It's a recipe for 4.5k crowds. Over and out.

Who are you, mate?

I've seen plenty of women in Yarraside get in to it and put half the wanna be hools standing there on their phones to shame.