Melbourne Football

Heart in negotiations with kewell

AntiScum

MELBOURNE Heart could make an audacious bid for uncontracted Harry Kewell, who controversially quit Melbourne Victory just four months ago.

Victory yesterday confirmed Kewell would not be returning to the club, despite the disillusioned attacker due to touch down in Melbourne today to honour sponsor commitments during the Spring Carnival.

The Herald Sun understands discussions took place between Kewell and Heart several weeks ago.

But chief executive Scott Munn last night denied a meeting had been scheduled in Melbourne, adding they were not even aware of his impending arrival.

Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers are the only other realistic options for the 34-year-old.

The Herald Sun understands all three clubs would consider signing Kewell if he was prepared to take a substantial cut from the $1m-plus-per-year deal tabled by Victory at the end of last season.

However Football Federation Australia and Fox Sports may be prepared to dip into their marketing kitties to subsidise the deal.

Former Socceroos teammate Mark Bosnich said Kewell must "put himself out there or retire".

Kewell's three options are:

HEART, which has two spots left on its roster and could fit Kewell as a marquee;

THE Wanderers, who also have two spots left and room to move financially;

SYDNEY FC, which has one spot left on its list and roughly $150,000, with both marquee spots (international Alessandro Del Piero and Aussie Brett Emerton) taken.

Bosnich said Kewell did the right thing by his family but it was time to put his career first.

"He stood by his wife, whose mother was ill, and supported her. But he's not a doctor he's a footballer and he needs to be playing," Bosnich said yesterday.

"He did the right thing but now he should put himself out there, or retire."

Kewell left long-time manager Bernie Mandic a year ago to join Sports & Entertainment Limited (SEL).

SEL's James Erskine did not return calls last night.

Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata had his club hadn't thought about it but didn't rule out an approach.

"We haven't spoken about Harry Kewell because we assumed he was staying in the UK, but we do have a spot left," Pignata said.

• Like 1

Wanderers would of been the perfect fit from the start. If they started a year earlier and Harry went there instead of the Victory I'd say he'd still be here.

If he returns to Australia I'd like to see him at Sydney FC on close to nothing. The whole "bling FC" thing works for the league.

Edited by Jimmy

Is it me or are we becoming the club socceroos come to die? Garxia,grella,aloisi....kewell now?

All A-League clubs sign, or try to sign, Socceroos in the twilight of their careers. It's the only time they wish to come and play in Australia.

Aloisi has only signed 2 Socceroos, so I wouldn't say we are THE club Socceroos come to (we've got the same amount as Sydney, who also have 2 veteran Socceroos in Emerton and the injury plagued Culina).

The only thing that matters is whether the players we sign, Socceroos or otherwise, can do a job. Garcia has been our best player so far, and Grella could add real class and quality to our midfield. So, as far as I can see, the signings we've made have been solid. Compared with the Maycons and Heffernans that are out there, I think the club has been smart and justified in signing the Socceroos we've signed. I don't see what there is to complain about, and we should appreciate that our new club with a pretty modest budget has been able to lure the class of Skoko, Aloisi (our joint top scorer in our first season), Garcia and Grella.

Edited by Murfy1

Kewell isn't coming here, the club media department are playing the media whore card again. Attaching are name to a "possible" signing then saying "oh no we don't wanna sign him".

Kunts need to stfu and comment on shit that will or might happen. Same shit for 2 season.

Free publicity mate, even talks with players such as Owen or kewell get the clubs name in the papers. And when you think about it, right after talking with Owen we signed players such as Garcia and grella, both which have and will do well respectively. It's not a bad thing

• Like 1

What is the conflict between signing Harry Kewell and 'everything this club is supposed to stand for'?

Please explain.

In fact it is exactly what the club stands for. Our coaching staff seeing players with massive potential going to waste so we (*buy them really cheap) give them a shot and allow them to be the best they can be (*then sell them on for a considerable profit).

I am not saying this is always successful but it is exactly the type of thing the club looks to do.

Spoke to someone in the know from the club over the weekend. He said that unless Harry is willing to play for around $150k for the season, we wouldn't even consider him, plus that it would probably be in Harry's best interest to retire in the way that Mark Viduka did rather than have a drawn out media saga. He then went on to say that the free publicity is always nice, ala when Ronaldo was "going to sign for Heart".

Take this as you will.

• Like 1

Why do all a-league teams focus on signing Players that are way past there used by date. They should be investing that marquee money into youth and giving them a shot instead of some dirty old fella that wants to retire in australia because of the easy lifestyle.

is that why Garcia, Heskey, Emo, Zwaanswijk, Burns, Broich, Miller, ADP, Ryan Griffiths and Archie Thompson are amongst the best 20 in the league right now?
  • Like 2

Why do all a-league teams focus on signing Players that are way past there used by date. They should be investing that marquee money into youth and giving them a shot instead of some dirty old fella that wants to retire in australia because of the easy lifestyle.

Fans mate.. Sign Australia's golden boy and you'll pull fans for kewell not necessarily for heart.. Which bothers me but at the same time we make money.. Personally I think he's still a very talented player and if he signs for a low amount of money I really couldn't care less..

Besides.. Players from victory always do better with us.. Just ask beich and duganzic

is that why Garcia, Heskey, Emo, Zwaanswijk, Burns, Broich, Miller, ADP, Ryan Griffiths and Archie Thompson are amongst the best 20 in the league right now?

That says a lot about our league when our best players are rejects from other leagues, coinsidently well past their primes.

Btw you forgot Ono

I'm still convinced to this day that HK signed for Victory without even knowing about MHFC and that he'd made the wrong decision of which team would give him better gate entry profits.

As much as I hate to see him come, I suspect he won't after the reception he got and expectation on his shoulders. The HAL was way tougher and faster than he expected so he'll now retire.

I still predict Cahill comes to Heart..... Eventually.

IF he comes back to play in Aus. with any team he won't have the same expectation placed on him this time as he would be coming as a out of contract player who nobody else wanted. Therefore Harry would be the underdog with it all to prove.

Also with the likes of ADP, Emerton, Garcia, Hesky and co. Harry is just another former player from Europes top leagues.

If he has lost the self centred prima dona (which I doubt he has or ever will), he could be a good pick up.

roff bit of a stretch saying archie is top 20 right now

A goal and 2 assists + Roo's form says otherwise.

Btw you forgot Ono

No, he's been far from impressive.

I'm still convinced to this day that HK signed for Victory without even knowing about MHFC

We made a play for him in our 1st season, but we didn't agree to many of his 'demands'. Pretty sure we were the first to break the ice on him coming to the HAL