Melbourne Football

Heart in negotiations with kewell

AntiScum

Melbourne Heart inching closer to Kewell agreement

Submitted by tribalfootball.com on Wed, 10/31/2012 - 11:14

Melbourne Heart are edging closer to striking terms with Aussie football legend Harry Kewell.

Kewell is in Melbourne for the Spring Racing Carnival and exploring the prospect of resuming his career in the A-League.

The former Leeds United and Liverpool midfielder proved his fitness last season at Melbourne Victory and the prospect of seeing Kewell in his line-up is exciting Heart coach John Aloisi.

It's understood talks have progressed positively, with Aloisi and assistant manager Hayden Foxe, both former teammates of Kewell's, being kept up-to-speed on developments.

The idea Kewell would be intimidated by the prospect of signing for Melbourne Victory's great rivals is wide of the mark given the controversial manner of his move from Elland Road to Anfield nine years ago.

While searching for a club in England, Kewell has been supported by former Reds boss Rafa Benitez, who is convinced he should still be playing in the Premier League.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/melbourne-heart-inching-closer-kewell-agreement-3615861

Yeah. Another Injury proned thirty something year old is great for squad depth.

We have no depth. We struggled to field a squad on Friday. We had to call a youth player to fill a spot. Any improvement would add to our depth.

We have the smallest senior squad in the comp.

We have no depth. We struggled to field a squad on Friday. We had to call a youth player to fill a spot. Any improvement would add to our depth.

We have the smallest senior squad in the comp.

So you'd rather call up some greedy cunt who played from MV and could care less about the club then some kid who would work his ass off to make an impression?

We had to call a youth player to fill a spot.

i shouldn't respond to such stupid statements but you're more blinded than i thought.

mitchinson is not 'filling a spot'. he's there because he deserves to be, not out of convenience.

remember a certain craig goodwin? eli to an extent as well? were they just 'filling a spot' or do you think they genuinely earned their places?

• Like 1

Reading all the various threads on here and drawing them together I suggest that the general feeling is that we need to liven up Heart's appeal to the public.

So perhaps not Harry for Heart, but IMO the club would be foolish not to get someone on board who's going to generate a bit of interest and excitement.

Completely unrealistic, but Lampard would be an amazing marquee (I'm a Chelsea fan so sorry about the homerism)

But there was some article on the A-League website a few days ago with potential marquees for next season and Lampard was one of them.

I'm pretty sure if he doesn't stay as a squad player at Chelsea or retire that he will go to MLS but I can dream!!

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/johnson-opinion-display/The-marquee-wish-list/52125

Completely unrealistic, but Lampard would be an amazing marquee (I'm a Chelsea fan so sorry about the homerism)

But there was some article on the A-League website a few days ago with potential marquees for next season and Lampard was one of them.

I'm pretty sure if he doesn't stay as a squad player at Chelsea or retire that he will go to MLS but I can dream!!

http://www.footballa...wish-list/52125

will probs follow oil money tbh

Apparently on offsiders this morning Heart is the front runner for Kewell. The journalist said that its a strong rumour thats not dying which suggests that there is some element of truth. I think the only reason we need Kewell is to boost membership and crowds. Although his form to the end of the season with Victory was good.

Reading all the various threads on here and drawing them together I suggest that the general feeling is that we need to liven up Heart's appeal to the public.

So perhaps not Harry for Heart, but IMO the club would be foolish not to get someone on board who's going to generate a bit of interest and excitement.

In my opinion, Kewell is definitely not the player to boost crowds or membership. He is a used source and people have grown tired of his appeal.

There are only two names in my opinion, that would send half knowledgable people of the sport, to pack there stuff and head to a game and become a supporter. I think Totti and Ronaldinho are the two who could create that type of affect. Not Kewell.

Don't know how realistic those two names are, probably not at all realistic but I am not talking about getting only the football diehards that don't support us or Victory, but even the not so passionate who could be drawn to games.

I would be very unhappy if we got Kewell on board. Don't see the point. Personal opinion.

There are only two names in my opinion, that would send half knowledgable people of the sport, to pack there stuff and head to a game and become a supporter. I think Totti and Ronaldinho are the two who could create that type of affect. Not Kewell.

I would say that more people who know absolutely nothing about football would know who Cahill is and not know who Totti or Ronaldinho is

I would say that more people who know absolutely nothing about football would know who Cahill is and not know who Totti or Ronaldinho is

Probably right, but those types would probably react more to the buzz created by those two than a Kewell or Cahill. Hey Cahill would be awesome in that he hasn't been used as a marketing tool for an A League club before and would represent value. Not knocking him at all.

The buzz that ADP has created in Sydney is something we need. It brings all types together. People that don;t even know him are drawn by the buzz of the city, media and everything going on.

That's what I meant, just worded it wrong.

Yeah, maybe. Personally I still would say Chill would be better at this stage but any of them would certainly create a buzz. Lets face it though. None of these signings are in our reach.

Where as Harry sounds like he might just be desperate enough

Probably shows we are desperate too if we are considering him.

I think with the A-League willing to put in $500,000 to a million on the right marquee, nothing is impossible. I would be working very hard on getting Ronaldinho.

I think with the A-League willing to put in $500,000 to a million on the right marquee, nothing is impossible. I would be working very hard on getting Ronaldinho.

I dont think we are so desperate that we would sign him and rearrange the place to suit his needs. If we did sign him I would say it would be on our terms. I kind of dont mind if thats the case.

As for the FFA paying for a marquee, I cant see them doing it for us

They shouldn't need to. He has been out of work long enough and so should be eligible for Centrelink benefits.

Lol! Not for Kewell! God, anything more than minimum wage is too much! I was referring to the quote above.

Edited by KSK_47

I wouldnt, we want to build a culture, Ronaldinho is a me man, he has been kicked out of 2 clubs in brazil since returning, does drugs, parties ect according to my Agentinian house mate. still has all the talent mind.

Also in terms of players who are good marquees i bet nobody thought Heskey would be the killer he is....ect its about getting names who can still play and score ect

Kewell would be a great left wing, and bring in some crowds and i think he is desperate enough to be in our price range atm