Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Because scheduling is hard. Apparently.

I think we're underestimating the enormity of the task. Scheduling five matches in the seven days of a week is a tough ask for the intellectual giants at FFA. Who don't know the difference between "reins" and "reigns" or "birth" and "berth" - just to mention a couple of their recent efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who says "who gives a fuck about F1" have a look at today's match.

Valid point. Combined with AFL, NRL and super rugby back.

Indeed.

Not sure that the NRL or the rugger had much of an impact though, but Carlton fans may have stayed away.  Can't say "people didn't come because we played crap", as I'm not sure all those people had a crystal ball (or tea leaves).

Anyway at least we (well north end anyway) got to see the jets flying over the Grand Prix!

Why was the KO changed? I arrived half an hour into the game. The e-mail with the message had the subject "Van't Schip Backs Heart to Rebound". Perhaps "Change of Kick Off time" would have been better?

Because of the Formula One racing at Albert Park:

A clash with formula one grand prix puts the brakes on Heart crowd

Any chance Melbourne Heart might have of capitalising on its barnstorming run by drawing a big crowd to its next home match has been stymied by Football Federation Australia scheduling that pits the club against one of the biggest sports events of the year - the formula one grand prix in Melbourne.

Heart has won its past five games on the spin and had a gate of close to 26,000 for its home derby against Melbourne Victory on Saturday night, which it won 4-0.

The derby clashes are, however, far and away Heart's biggest gate and with a crowd of more than 26,000 for its other home game against Victory just before Christmas, the club's average gate has been lifted to 11,000. But given its push for the finals and tremendous form it would have hoped to have built its following for the next home game against Wellington Phoenix on March 16.

Or it would if the FFA had moved the game. But it was reluctant to do so, and the match will kick off at 4pm that day - just an hour before Australia's F1 race starts.

''We saw that potential clash when the fixtures came out and asked them to move it, but they said it wasn't possible,'' a Heart spokesman said.

''It originally had a 5pm kick-off, which was the same time as the race started. We wanted them to at least make it a 3pm start, which would have given people the chance to go to Albert Park after the game, but they moved it forward only by an hour.''

It's a frustration for the club as it looks to continue its unlikely charge to the finals, especially as the FFA scheduled Adelaide United to play last Thursday night at Hindmarsh against Wellington Phoenix rather than clash with the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar race that took place in the city at the weekend.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-clash-with-formula-one-grand-prix-puts-the-brakes-on-heart-crowd-20140303-340gs.html

So really, moving the kick off forward by an hour didn't make any difference. Our match was still in competition with the F1 and we were down about 2500 on our normal attendances. This is not the first time this has happened. Surely this clash can be avoided.

Sunday games seem to usually have a more passive crowd. The end of the weekend preparing for work/school Monday is not the ideal time to watch football. I am not sure as to attendances (statisticians please), but I would like to see us go back to mostly Saturday games.

Then again, it is not about people viewing from the stands - is it?

I'm a Carlton supporter and looking at our fixtures this season, we have a grand total of 3 games on a Saturday afternoon that I can attend via the train this entire season (against Melbourne, St. Kilda and Gold Coast).

We have so many blockbusters (Collingwood/Essendon etc.) at ridiculous times on a Sunday night which have obviously been issued at that time slot purely for television audience purposes which is a completely selfish decision made by the AFL but the saddest thing is that I'm not surprised whatsoever. People in the country like me realistically can't attend Sunday night games and I doubt many families would go either so it's just a poor decision all-round from a supporter's perspective. 

Back to Heart though, I think a lot of people underestimated the drawcard that is the F1 racing combined with a deflating loss last week at a changed kick-off time so 5500 whilst not great isn't the worst, in previous years we would have been lucky to get 4000 in the same situation which indicates our core group is building. Next season will be very interesting in regards to the way the City overlords decide to market the club to Melbourne/regional Vic, hopefully we can establish an even stronger core supporter base.

• Like 1

Moving on to next year because lets face it the season is over, what do people think our avg home attendence will be?

If we have a big marquee and obviously a good year we can average 10-11k

Why should we aim low? That other team in Melbourne avg nearly 22,000. There is a huge untapped market for a team that plays good football, has a great profile, delivers entertainment and is seen as community and family oriented. Let's target the 20,000 number.

Moving on to next year because lets face it the season is over, what do people think our avg home attendence will be?

Why should we aim low? That other team in Melbourne avg nearly 22,000. There is a huge untapped market for a team that plays good football, has a great profile, delivers entertainment and is seen as community and family oriented. Let's target the 20,000 number.

Which of those things do you think we do well now...?

Edited by jw1739

Sunday games seem to usually have a more passive crowd. The end of the weekend preparing for work/school Monday is not the ideal time to watch football. I am not sure as to attendances (statisticians please), but I would like to see us go back to mostly Saturday games.

Peter, there must be a reason that you and I (and others) can't see...but why do we have Sunday matches at all? Why not 2 on a Friday night and 3 on the Saturday? I can't see this to be difficult at all.

Even when Heart are at home (and I won't miss a single home match this season) I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about a single game played at 4.00 or 5.00 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. It just has a "disconnected" feeling about it. IMO there would be a lot more interest when matches are played on the same day as others.

Sunday matches are also going to be a bugger when there are going to be FFA Cup matches on the following Tuesday...so IMO a rethink of the whole system is needed.

• Like 5

Peter, there must be a reason that you and I (and others) can't see...but why do we have Sunday matches at all? Why not 2 on a Friday night and 3 on the Saturday? I can't see this to be difficult at all.

Even when Heart are at home (and I won't miss a single home match this season) I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about a single game played at 4.00 or 5.00 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. It just has a "disconnected" feeling about it. IMO there would be a lot more interest when matches are played on the same day as others.

Sunday matches are also going to be a bugger when there are going to be FFA Cup matches on the following Tuesday...so IMO a rethink of the whole system is needed.

Foxtel

• Like 2

Which of those things do you think we do well now...? At the moment - none, although maybe community and family oriented might rate somewhat. What I was inferring was that hopefully our new owners will be able to deliver up the full package next year.

I broadly agree with your assessment. We do well with "community", not sure though with "family oriented", but on the others we simply aren't in the game. Too often we've done just what we've done this season - see a glimmer of hope only to let down our supporters once again, and IMO we're going to have to work very hard from here to gain some credibility with the Melbourne sporting public. Even the last four matches of this season I see as important, because every other season so far we've just faded away.

• Like 2

Just getting this back into the right thread, and updated after yesterda'y match against CCM.

Here are the figures, excluding home derbies and "regional" matches.

2010-11: 13 matches, average 6,059.

2011-12: 11 matches, average 6,473.

2012-13: 12 matches, average 7,077.

2013-14 (to date): 10 matches, average 6,980.

Highest home non-derby crowd: 13,752 vs. Sydney, 24th February 2013.

Lowest home crowd: 2,754 vs. Newcastle, 8th December 2010.

So, for the first time, and albeit by just a small number, we are actually showing a decrease in average attendance.

Just getting this back into the right thread, and updated after yesterda'y match against CCM.

So, for the first time, and albeit by just a small number, we are actually showing a decrease in average attendance.

I wonder how many more Sunday games we've had this year than the last couple of seasons.

That would surely have had an impact on our attendances too.

I wonder how many more Sunday games we've had this year than the last couple of seasons.

That would surely have had an impact on our attendances too.

We also had a few friday nights on SBS which would also impact on casual attendances.

Edited by Hammerhead

Let's be honest though, all these factors may be an influence but have minimal impact compared to the impact of playing SHIT FOOTBALL with scant success.

Nevertheless I will draw up the spreadsheet. It may come in useful in the future if we do ever change our ways.

I've done the spreadsheet. Not sure that it tells us a great deal so far.

1. We've played two regional matches. Average 5,085.

2. Seven home derbies. Average 25,769.

3. 46 home matches at AAMI Park excluding derbies. Average attendance 6,558.

Of these:

- 10 on a Friday (6,404);

- 14 on a Saturday (6,213);

- 15 on a Sunday (7,123);

- 1 on a Monday (5,393);

- 1 on a Tuesday (5,614);

- 4 on a Wednesday (5,434);

- 1 on a Thursday (our very first match) (11,050).

TBH, I'm no statistician but I doubt that there's much significance in these figures. The Sunday figures are influenced by two matches - the first last season (11,007) and the first match last season against Sydney with ADP (13,752).

You can say that on an average weekend match we're going to draw 5,000-7,000 to AAMI Park, and during the week about 5,500.

If anyone is a statistician and wants to crunch the numbers please PM me with your e-mail address.

• 3 weeks later...
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic