Melbourne Football

Tony Vidmar

neio

Melbourne City FC appoint Tony Vidmar as Assistant Coach

melbournecityfc.com.au25 mins ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Melbourne City FC can confirm it has appointed Tony Vidmar as Senior Assistant Coach to the Club’s Hyundai A-League team.

A key figure in Australia’s youth development system, the 47-year-old held the dual positions of Australian U-17 national coach and head of Football Federation Australia’s Centre of Excellence for the past five years.

Vidmar worked with current City teenagers Daniel Arzani and James Delianov as well as Stefan Mauk in the junior national set up, and a host of Australian youth talent who have emerged through the country’s youth system to play club football domestically and overseas.

He also had a highly-credentialed playing career, making 76 appearances for the Socceroos including 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona and the 1997 Confederations Cup, and played over 450 domestic club matches in Australia, Holland, Scotland, England and Wales.

Melbourne City FC Director of Football, Michael Petrillo, said;

“Tony is a well-respected coach with an incredible passion for coaching and for developing talented players. He has brought through some great talent from our national youth system, and we believe he will be a very important part of our coaching team alongside Warren, Jess and the rest of the backroom staff.”

Commenting on his appointment, Vidmar said;

“I have followed Melbourne City’s progress in recent years and am delighted to be joining the coaching team alongside Warren Joyce. From everything I have seen, Melbourne City is a club with great ambition and determination. It’s one year since they won the first men’s trophy, and I hope to be part of further success in the coming season.”

Vidmar, who observed City’s A-League match against Newcastle Jets on Saturday evening, will work alongside Head Coach Warren Joyce and Goalkeeper Coach Jess Vanstrattan starting on Monday 4 December.

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Wasnt he shit with the U17 Roos?

Wouldn't take too much from that.

Not only are assistant and head coaching jobs very different roles but coaching a group of kids who you only see every few months  can't be an easy gig and isn't really similar to the environment he'll be in here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Embee said:

Not only are assistant and head coaching jobs very different roles but coaching a group of kids who you only see every few months  can't be an easy gig and isn't really similar to the environment he'll be in here.

Yea good points.

Many of his peers and young players rate him, so I guess we will see how he goes.

6 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Wikipedia says he was assistant to the youth coach and couldn't find anything related to him at Adelaide 

my comment is that he is from Adelaide , played for Adelaide at some stage , has ( along with his brother ) a stand at Hindmarsh named after him 

therefore an ex Adelaide boy 

14 hours ago, haz said:

Wasnt he shit with the U17 Roos?

14 hours ago, Embee said:

Ange was also shit with Australian Sides at yoof level and then he proved himself again as Domestic Level Wiz and then even later at National Level when he won an Asian Cup...

Also remember the crap Arnold copped as National Coach - If we had thrown the dollars at him when he was leaving CCM instead of resigning homesick John of the back of five games then we would probably have two titles by now as he is also a Domestic Level Wiz.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

my comment is that he is from Adelaide , played for Adelaide at some stage , has ( along with his brother ) a stand at Hindmarsh named after him 

therefore an ex Adelaide boy 

From memory the brothers played for Adelaide City.

1 hour ago, MXG said:

Why Wazza could not appoint his own assistant?

You mean because Petrillo is quoted as making the announcement? That's because Petrillo is Director of Football and sits above Joyce in the Football Department pecking order. I too would like to see more from Joyce and less from Petrillo, but we have what CFG wants us to have.

Surely it hasn't escaped the realisation of anyone here that we have two coaches heavily involved in working with youth yet we have no youth players playing. And that's ok cause I'm happy to cement our position on the ladder. Just trying to connect the dots (if any) and curious to know what it will take for one of them to be given a chance. 

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Surely it hasn't escaped the realisation of anyone here that we have two coaches heavily involved in working with youth yet we have no youth players playing. And that's ok cause I'm happy to cement our position on the ladder. Just trying to connect the dots (if any) and curious to know what it will take for one of them to be given a chance. 

To be in better form than a senior player currently filling the position, we all see how the yoof policy turned out at MHFC... no trophies, barely any wins and next to no supporters just Sidwell being a lucky bastard and getting a profit for an A-League License.

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

For three of them - Metcalfe, Arzani and Crowley - their contracts expire 31st May 2018, as does that for Tongyik. I'd rather see some of the young ones who've come through our youth system be given contracts than yet more ex-Adelaide geriatrics. But the numbers cap will inevitable see some of them leave before they get a serious chance in a City jersey. Real shame.

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

To be in better form than a senior player currently filling the position, we all see how the yoof policy turned out at MHFC... no trophies, barely any wins and next to no supporters just Sidwell being a lucky bastard and getting a profit for an A-League License.

Very true and in no way should we be throwing youngsters in for the sake of it. However I know one spot that should be up for grabs for a younger player. 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

It will take a new manager.

One who doesn’t want to stack his side with defenders and journeymen.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You mean because Petrillo is quoted as making the announcement? That's because Petrillo is Director of Football and sits above Joyce in the Football Department pecking order. I too would like to see more from Joyce and less from Petrillo, but we have what CFG wants us to have.

It will not end up well then. So, in Man City Pep cannot choose his assistant either?