Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Yep, agree. But nowhere have I said he's a gun, just that I believe he needs better players around him to show if all that 'potential' he has will come to something.

This is where I think you are very wrong.

As I have said over and over again since Mooy left in one way or another.

We don't need a mediocre A-League standard CAM or one that could possibly be ok.

We need a CAM/CM to crack open the defence with creativeness and pose a real central threat from outside the box.

He needs to be in the top player at the Club, or else forget about it as there will be no link too and from wide areas, Bruno will continue to be in no man's land and trying to do everything, and attacking transitions will be slow and indirect, in other words ground-hog day.

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

This is where I think you are very wrong.

As I have said over and over again since Mooy left in one way or another.

We don't need a mediocre A-League standard CAM or one that could possibly be ok.

We need a CAM/CM to crack open the defence with creativeness and pose a real central threat from outside the box.

He needs to be in the top player at the Club, or else forget about it as there will be no link too and from wide areas, Bruno will continue to be in no man's land and trying to do everything, and attacking transitions will be slow and indirect, in other words ground-hog day.

I actually agree with you there, but again, I'm not saying anywhere we need him, nor that I think he's a star.

I'm just responding to rumours 'if' we get him - then I think it's unfair to compare him on his output at CCM. I think he'll be better with good players around him and hopefully he'll be able to live up to that potential everyone said he had.

FWIW, I'd love nothing more than a beast CAM (marquee visa) who will be able to join all the dots. I've said that a million times on here. 

Players are rated and measured on the past performance.  It's naive to expect something what won't happen. Players who are proven not to strengthen their side and to produce minimal effort, will stay like that. Anyone would look good surranded by better players and inside better team. The whole point is that by releasing and acquiring similar average players no impact will be gained. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Players are rated and measured on the past performance.  It's naive to expect something what won't happen. Players who are proven not to strengthen their side and to produce minimal effort, will stay like that. Anyone would look good surranded by better players and inside better team. The whole point is that by releasing and acquiring similar average players no impact will be gained. 

Exactly, and if we are going down that road we should get Caceres or Carusca back.

3 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

A very good point. The same goes for coaches and other management. At the moment I'd say we are suffering, and not realising our full potential as a CFG club, by the same type of mistake being repeated over and over again.

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

So do we infer from those statements that you don't think players can improve as a result of training, hard work, the right environment, or playing with better players?

I don't think he's quite saying that. There will be some players who want to and can respond to a new environment, but he's saying that recycling average players is likely to see you remaining average.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think he's quite saying that. There will be some players who want to and can respond to a new environment, but he's saying that recycling average players is likely to see you remaining average.

Appreciate that point, although thats certainly not how that reads in his post.

Taking Da Silva aside, he's been thought of as a high potential player for some time and has a couple of tricks in his bag that may see him flourish under a better set-up. It also may not, and he certainly had ample opportunity at CCM to show a bit more than he has. For me he's been severely overrated by Aus football media, however i do see something in him, and under the league's best coach at developing youth, he may well prove to be a big player for us. Only time will tell, but one thing's for sure, I'd rather take a punt on him at CAM, than see Bud back there again (at least as a marquee).

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm not concerned at this point in time. In the past CFG/City have shown that they're not in a hurry to announce departures and signings.

A wag e-mailed me last night saying that the comment going around his circle is that at this stage Joyce is busy getting his 5-a-side squad together. Gave me a giggle.

As players Budzinski is way better than Da Silva. (Imo)

The question is the total resulting squad list. So for arguments sake Mauk and Budzinski go and De Silva  (visa/maybe marquee) come in that is a total gain. And that's assuming we don't fuck up 3 times in a row of bringing in a dud marquee  (which is obviously a big chance).

So for me its the AM positions that need to be discussed and possibly we may see a De Silva/ Budzinski option and De Silva is actually a Mauk replacement. 

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

As players Budzinski is way better than Da Silva. (Imo)

The question is the total resulting squad list. So for arguments sake Mauk and Budzinski go and De Silva  (visa/maybe marquee) come in that is a total gain. And that's assuming we don't fuck up 3 times in a row of bringing in a dud marquee  (which is obviously a big chance).

So for me its the AM positions that need to be discussed and possibly we may see a De Silva/ Budzinski option and De Silva is actually a Mauk replacement. 

Not arguing the other way at all, but im curious as to why you think Bud is way better than Da Silva?

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Not arguing the other way at all, but im curious as to why you think Bud is way better than Da Silva?

Basically Budzinski can score and from what I've seen of Da Silva he isn't as prolific. 

Now this is all based on the limited games I've watched of both.

Da Silva tbf is still young enough to improve but going of what they did seasons past I'd prefer Budzinski over Da Silva playing as the #10.

Now as a Marquee, no way. So I guess its more of a question of which player is least shitest.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Would you rather sign Azarni as Marquee for upcoming season or see him go somewhere else ?

I'd like him to stay another season, but idk if he's worth a marquee spot. Then again what money are we talking about? If we did make Arzani marquee he would be able to get paid by Manchester. But then what cap space is left for a decent visa? $500k, $800k? The problem is that Arzani would have been close to minimum salary so moving him into marquee wouldn't free up much

• Like 1

We're assembling a very good squad as it is - 16 quality senior players plus 4 Scholarship players - do we really need another marquee? As for Arzani, last I read was that Manchester City/CFG has a very good offer in front of him to keep him within CFG. If he doesn't want that, then he's our player if he wants to go then we can ask a significant transfer fee. And we should. I've seen fees of tens of millions bandied around, and if a club is prepared to offer that then IMO we should take it. Sometimes it's best to cash in an asset.

i think arzani will stay, with the plan to move the end of ours, or mid season.  Dont think it would be wise for the club to make him marquee (could you imagine the social media abuse and commentary). Id rather see his wages bumped up to a higher bracket (i think if the kid is itching that much for money at 19 its  a bit of poor form) and secure another decent visa signing.

2 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

i think arzani will stay, with the plan to move the end of ours, or mid season.  Dont think it would be wise for the club to make him marquee (could you imagine the social media abuse and commentary). Id rather see his wages bumped up to a higher bracket (i think if the kid is itching that much for money at 19 its  a bit of poor form) and secure another decent visa signing.

We have to be careful signing him as marquee, he might succumb to the Heart/City marquee injury curse

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

FTFY 

Nope, the prophecy states that we shall wait and see till after each individual game to see where we are at. It is not until our elimination in the Semi that we deem ourselves shit and we are not at where we should be.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Nope, the prophecy states that we shall wait and see till after each individual game to see where we are at. It is not until our elimination in the Semi that we deem ourselves shit and we are not at where we should be.

Sorry how could I get it so wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

cfg gonna give us something stupid
well that training ground sounds mighty tempting but I'm gonna go with the marquee
Scott, the marquee is the gag prize, everybody wants the training grounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwrgDdreVQ

Id be happy with an Elephant. Lets knick one from India while we're there