Velaphi

Germano   -   Wieleart   -   Kisnorbo   -   Garuccio

(Foreign) DM

Mooy          -           Koren

Duff                   -               Williams

Villa

Bench: Redmayne, Archibald, Murdocca, Dugandzic, Marino

Close to being picked, Hoffman, Retre, Mauk, Kalmar, Ramsay

Would reverse Williams and Duff, as I reckon Duff will be a lot more dangerous on his natural left side, crossing to Villa, rather than cutting in from the right.    Like how you are going for Velaphi, who I think at least has potential to improve.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/sky-blues-building-brilliantly-as-new-era-takes-shape/1l32gnj96y2hq1ko2rqkb2q0ni

I just don't know how Sydney can get their squad under the cap. We must be paying some of our players way above what they would get at another A-League club.

I've been thinking about our salary cap recently. It's not clear how much the club is paying its salary cap players, and whether the club is over- or under-paying players. All we know for certain is that senior signings have significantly slowed down since the signing of Koren, and that the club hasn't been quick to fill up the remaining 4 senior spots (also, there's 1 youth-senior spot left).

Here's a summary of the salary cap situation with all our players. Lengthy post ahead.

David Williams was negotiated under the salary cap. He could and probably should be on significantly less now than he previously was, as the club only paid around 350k per season (I believe it was) for him when he was hot property and suddenly became a free agent after NQF went under. Also, Melbourne Heart had limited pulling power when he was first signed after the club’s underwhelming first season, so it would have had to pay more to lure a player of the moment like Williams to the club. But now, post-takeover, and given little reported interest elsewhere for Williams, I reckon the Man City owners substantially negotiated down Williams salary, and now have him easily under the cap. 

The truly expensive players, namely Koren, Villa and the Australian marquee, who are certain to be vastly more expensive than even Duff or Mooy, are outside the cap.

Damien Duff is aging and he was returning from a lengthy knee injury when he was signed. He said he was open to going to America or Australia, but there didn’t seem to be any serious MLS interest (who knows, perhaps because of the knee). So given the details surrounding Duff, and that he was chosen to be the first Visa signing of the Man City era, something many an international player I reckon would have been very keen to be, I think the club could have negotiated a not-too-expensive 1 year contract with Duff.

Aaron Mooy is the only known big-ticket salary cap signing. He’s reportedly on about 300k a season.

And then there’s the fact that the club has re-signed or signed up a number of players that surely can’t demand much money, players such as:

- Jason Hoffman

- Tando Velaphi

- James Brown

Also, there's the fact that the club has signed up numerous young players to the senior team (not counting Jacob Melling and Marc Marino on youth-senior deals outside the cap), young players such as:

-Connor Chapman

- Paulo Retre

- Stefan Mauk

- Ben Garuccio

And the final point suggesting that the club still has significant salary cap space is the fact that the team sheet still has 4 full senior spots available, and 1 youth-senior spot available. So conceivably the club could spent a respectable amount on maybe 1 or 2 senior players (inc. 1 more Visa player), and also get one more handy young player like Melling and Marino.

The real unknown is what the ‘average’ senior player is on, that is, players such as: Dugandzic, Kisnorbo (who signed a new contract post-takeover BTW), Redmayne, Ramsay, Murdocca, Kalmar, Wielaert and Germano.

Most of those players (Dugandzic, Kalmar, Germano, Redmayne) signed new contracts with the club after Aloisi’s disastrous first season with the club, so given how these players and the team went they surely weren't in a position to demand expensive new contracts, and if anything these players were more likely to have had their contracts negotiated down.

Wielaert was looking for a new experience overseas, and given his age, I don’t think he could command a big salary.

That leaves Ramsay and Murdocca. Ramsay was keen to leave Adelaide, so given the push factor he shouldn’t be on too much. And Murdocca wanted to return to Melbourne, and given that there was no report that Victory were open to signing him, the club should have been in a position to negotiate a reasonable and not to expensive salary with him.

But still the average/stand senior players I’m not too sure about, and a few could be on somewhat surprising salaries. But barring surprises, it is reasonable to expect the standard senior players listed above to not be on too much money.

So all we know for certain is that the club isn't rushing to fill up the remaining senior spots. That could be because the club doesn't have much money left inside the cap, but it is not necessarily the case that the club is taking its time because there's little money left. The club could just be taking its time and acting carefully with the remaining 4 spots left. And hopefully, owing to the many young players, and many not-too-spectacular Australian players the club has signed, the club is able to sign at least 1 or 2 more quality salary cap signings before the season starts.    

I think they will leave two or so spots open for January when the hit to the salary cap if they release players will be less.

Tend to agree, although just how difficult it is to fill spots with decent players in January, or to try and gain mutual agreement for players you want out mid-season could be harder work.

The last visa spot is the most interesting one really. It was supposed to be an important signing for someone in a defensive role (Defensive Midfielder / Wing-back / Centre-back), so if they are taking so long to fill the space it would leave a void in the squad.

Our defensive area is weak, especially with Connor Chapman's illness issues. The level of depth there is very low at present, let alone the question marks for those likely in the first XI lineup.

• Like 1

So this?

This is how I would like to see our Round 1 team formation:

Velaphi

Paartalu

Williams             -                         Duff

Villa

Added PaartaIu and swapped Duff and Williams around. Not sure if Williams is the best option for Right Wing, but I think he'd be better than Dugandzic so I left Mate on the bench.

I can see Villa being subbed for Marino and Williams for Duga in the 66th and 73rd mins respectively. The third sub will probably be Germano for Archibald, which will happen when Germano does his hammy.

So this?

Velaphi

Paartalu

Villa

Added PaartaIu and swapped Duff and Williams around. Not sure if Williams is the best option for Right Wing, but I think he'd be better than Dugandzic so I left Mate on the bench.

I can see Villa being subbed for Marino and Williams for Duga in the 66th and 73rd mins respectively. The third sub will probably be Germano for Archibald, which will happen when Germano does his hammy.

You know it's a long off season when we're predicting the times of substitutions. 

• Like 1

Without a doubt I would play dugandzic over Williams on the wing, unless he's not fit. Far superior dribbling and ball control skills, better crosser etc. Williams needs to play centrally and to his strengths and that's run forwards towards the goal.

Dugandzic, better crosser? 

That old ANZ credit card ad comes to mind, "Simon...had a great idea?"

This is what I'm hoping for:

Velaphi

Germano   -   Wieleart   -   Kisnorbo   -   (VISA Left back)

Paartalu

Duff                                -                         Garuccio

Villa (Kennedy in Jan?)

• Like 2

Without a doubt I would play dugandzic over Williams on the wing, unless he's not fit. Far superior dribbling and ball control skills, better crosser etc. Williams needs to play centrally and to his strengths and that's run forwards towards the goal.

They're both atrocious in regards to delivery in the final third, the difference is that while he is much maligned, Williams actually manages to score with some kind of regularity.

Dugandzic has more in his locker but when he's bad he's horrible and he is prone to falling into long periods of sub-par form.

• Like 2

I'd take garuccio over Mate and Williams as well. Williams to come on as sub towards the end of the game. 

So this?

Velaphi

Paartalu

Villa

You know it's a long off season when we're predicting the times of substitutions. 

haha yeah especially when the times of the subs are so precise. 

Edited by K-aram92

That old ANZ credit card ad comes to mind, "Simon...had a great idea?" Well firstly Williams doesn't cross, he is not a player that is made for that, and while duga isn't the best crosser I still think he is better than Williams. Where he is definitely better than Williams is in his ball control, I think Williams proved last season that he is made for one position only, hence why jvs has not played him all off season on the wing, as far as I know.

They're both atrocious in regards to delivery in the final third, the difference is that while he is much maligned, Williams actually manages to score with some kind of regularity.

Dugandzic has more in his locker but when he's bad he's horrible and he is prone to falling into long periods of sub-par form. Yes but Williams doesn't score from playing on the wing. He scores when he is played centrally and is able to run directly at the goals. Williams is not a player good enough to handle the one two passes, the overlaps etc. that involve playing on the wing, I don't think anyway.

• Like 1

That old ANZ credit card ad comes to mind, "Simon...had a great idea?" Well firstly Williams doesn't cross, he is not a player that is made for that, and while duga isn't the best crosser I still think he is better than Williams. Where he is definitely better than Williams is in his ball control, I think Williams proved last season that he is made for one position only, hence why jvs has not played him all off season on the wing, as far as I know.

Dugandzic has more in his locker but when he's bad he's horrible and he is prone to falling into long periods of sub-par form. Yes but Williams doesn't score from playing on the wing. He scores when he is played centrally and is able to run directly at the goals. Williams is not a player good enough to handle the one two passes, the overlaps etc. that involve playing on the wing, I don't think anyway.

He scored a couple from the wing last season I think, I could be wrong though. He wasn't playing as a CF all season long, especially when we had Mifsud up top for a period.

Regardless, you're right, he's not a great winger and I'd sooner play Duff wide right and slot Garuccio into the LW spot. I'm just not keen on Mate at all at the moment, needs to do a lot more before I'd have him starting.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 1

Agree with you Kiro, Mate, and Kalmar have been given ample opportunity to develop and show there quality over the last 3 years.. Kalmar is to Hot and Cold, his best game was against Perth at AAMI park were he completely dominated and scored a free kick and at that point I thought "that's it his going to go on from here" however it never materialised and he has failed to play at that level again.

As for Mate, I think his a fantastic player, fast, good skills, and great link up play with the other players, unfortunately for him being an attacking player doesn't score enough goals. He gets in to good positions including 1 V 1 with keepers and misses. I believe for Mate to be offered another contract he will need to score a min of 10 goals this season.

Germano is more clear cut because he is a visa player, he should be starting 11 however his injury prone and cant get a consistent number of games throughout the season. He will have a lot of competition now with the arrival of Partaalu and Mass has an incredible work rate. If his healthy, and Fit but still cant break into the 11 then this will be his last year.

Agree with you Kiro, Mate, and Kalmar have been given ample opportunity to develop and show there quality over the last 3 years.. Kalmar is to Hot and Cold, his best game was against Perth at AAMI park were he completely dominated and scored a free kick and at that point I thought "that's it his going to go on from here" however it never materialised and he has failed to play at that level again.

As for Mate, I think his a fantastic player, fast, good skills, and great link up play with the other players, unfortunately for him being an attacking player doesn't score enough goals. He gets in to good positions including 1 V 1 with keepers and misses. I believe for Mate to be offered another contract he will need to score a min of 10 goals this season.

Germano is more clear cut because he is a visa player, he should be starting 11 however his injury prone and cant get a consistent number of games throughout the season. He will have a lot of competition now with the arrival of Partaalu and Mass has an incredible work rate. If his healthy, and Fit but still cant break into the 11 then this will be his last year.

Just a tad unrealistic... 

So I hopped back on ticketek to see if they'd fixed up the seat allocations for the away-active area. I was still placed in Bay 38. I think that just confirms that the active area is being expanded to where the silver-away area is, because according to the seating map, bay 38 is GA and if that was the case, then we wouldn't have reserved seating in that area. 

Mind you, as others have said, it doesn't really matter since we'll all be marching in together anyway, but it's still interesting and perhaps is indicative of how many supporters we have that are making the trip to Sydney. 

Mate is a gun. Fuck the haters. Came back after missing a year of football and no pre-season last year. Expect him fit and firing this year. He started showing it again last year towards the end of the season.10 goals is a ridiculous total to expect from a winger to keep his contract. By that logic only 4 or 5 attacking players in the whole league would keep their contracts every year.

• Like 2

Mate is a gun. Fuck the haters. Came back after missing a year of football and no pre-season last year. Expect him fit and firing this year. He started showing it again last year towards the end of the season.10 goals is a ridiculous total to expect from a winger to keep his contract. By that logic only 4 or 5 attacking players in the whole league would keep their contracts every year.

I'm guessing you haven't seen any pre-season games this year

IMO the statistics show that Heart performed very poorly on the chances vs. goals scored ratio. Over four seasons. I've lost count of the times I've read headlines such as "Profligate Heart rue missed chances."

Just watch the strikers warm up before the game and see how many times they can't even get the ball on the target area let alone in the back of the net.

This disease has been endemic in Heart since Day 1. It's not restricted to one particular player.

Hi guys, first time poster. I'm taking my young bloke up to this match for our first away game. We go to most home games but we're out of towners so we've never been to a pre-game meet up before.

I'm keen to come along & meet a few supporters & wander down to the game with everyone but thought I'd check if it would be an ok for an 8 year old? I wasn't sure if it was just a piss up or if a few of you blokes bring the kids along for a feed & a couple of raspberries. Cheers.

I'm guessing you haven't seen any pre-season games this year

I haven't, but been following football long enough to know pre-season means absolutely nothing. The panic of pre-season is only exacerbated in Australia because it lasts almost as long as the season.