Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Storm are a great example of how a club should be run. Outnumbered and bullied by Sydney clubs the storm shoved it up the rest of the NRL by being good to their members (their average crowd grow steadily every season), getting young talents and ensuring their stars stick around for the long run.

• Like 2

Storm are a great example of how a club should be run. Outnumbered and bullied by Sydney clubs the storm shoved it up the rest of the NRL by being good to their members (their average crowd grow steadily every season), getting young talents and ensuring their stars stick around for the long run.

Not just that, they successfully established themselves in a city that couldn't tell the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union. They then made a momumental stuff up by cheating on the salary cap and then somehow managed to recover from it with seemingly barely missing a beat.

Having said all that the current owners are new and can't take most of the credit for the juggernaut that is Storm. it would seem though that they know their sport, which is a start.

Deal can't be far off according to Munn in The Age article by Lynch

"We are not at the point of selling the club,’’ he told Fairfax Media

If it's the Storm people they seem to know what it takes to grow in a difificult market - mainly focus on winning silverware first and foremost. The upside with football compared to rugby is the number of kids playing in competitions which provides great potential for growth. They'll have to make sure they get real football people on the HeartFC board so that we don't make decisions based on marketing when a footballing based decision is required.

Edited by HEARTinator

This is the Board and Senior Executive of Melbourne Storm.  On the Board Mark Evans was 10 years with Harlequins RFC in the UK. The others are businessmen. Of the Executive only Ponissi is a rugby man. They would bring in their own people to run MHFC; a "football person" to be CEO and the only "football people" would be in the Football Department.

Board of Directors

Bart Campbell (Chairman)
Mark Evans
Gerry Ryan
Matthew Tripp
Michael Watt

Executive Management

Chief Executive Officer – Mark Evans
Chief Financial Officer – Danielle Smith
Football Director – Frank Ponissi
Commercial Director – Ben Dunn
Marketing Director – Mike Billing

There are some good things the Storm have done, that we can learn from if that's how the owners want to influence the club.

- They get in the best young players, developed them all Inglis, Folau, Cronk, Slater.

- The know match winning players win games, Storm have always had 3-4 elite players.

- Brand is very strong, for a state that doesn't like rugby overall.

- Attendence, marketing and profile is also strong.

- Attacking style of play with flair and innovation.

- Pay a top manager.

Whether any of that really matters I don't know, but it's a similar philosophy to what we use to stand for.

There are some good things the Storm have done, that we can learn from if that's how the owners want to influence the club.

- They get in the best young players, developed them all Inglis, Folau, Cronk, Slater.

- The know match winning players win games, Storm have always had 3-4 elite players.

- Pay a top manager.

Whether any of that really matters I don't know, but it's a similar philosophy to what we use to stand for.

You forget one key element of their strategy.

On field success!

- Pay a top manager.

You forget one key element of their strategy.

On field success!

And cheating?

If it happens it will be interesting to see what happens with victory and their offices at the aami park facilities. If we are owned by the same company as storm there might be a push, to push victory out of there and heart to move in

Imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if that happened!

Not just that, they successfully established themselves in a city that couldn't tell the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union. They then made a momumental stuff up by cheating on the salary cap and then somehow managed to recover from it with seemingly barely missing a beat.

Having said all that the current owners are new and can't take most of the credit for the juggernaut that is Storm. it would seem though that they know their sport, which is a start.

Storm profited from the cheating of the salary cap. They were allowed to play but points didn't count. So they just played all their youth and got to play with full confidence, not worrying about results. 

that aside, they are a good example of how an Australian sporting team should be run

I wonder if they will build some kind of Heart - Storm connection.

Cross code memberships etc.

Not even sure if possible, but tbh dont think it would be the worst idea, the storm won't lose any supporters themselves over it but who knows maybe it may turn some storm supporters heads/ interest some people

Any new fans/members are good

Edited by MTP

I do like the idea of dual membership whereby you get discounts for both.

Will promote both clubs and games. Not much of a rugby league fan myself but I do love the Storm and the up yours they give to the Northern States. Definitely respected and successful.

These guys won't stand for mediocrity. Bart Campbell is a winner. He puts coin in. He understands what's needed to be successful in sport.

I am wanting only one thing for Christmas. That's this change of ownership. I think that will be the greatest gift of all to not only me but every Heart fan.

We all deserve our club to have success and not be a laughing stock. We will get that with these guys.

• Like 6

I think an association between football and rugby is far more comfortable than football and AFL. The AFL dyed-in-the-wool types hate "soccer" and have only ever tried to see it destroyed as a sport in Australia. Rugby and football coexist in NSW without too much antagonism from what I can see. In fact I'd hate to say this but NSW has a more diverse sporting landscape than Victoria because we are dominated by the AFL juggernaut.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Let's not get our hopes up too much and then have them dashed later.

So far this story first surfaced about 6 weeks ago on SoccerStoppageTime. The latest legs on it come from Ray Gatt. AFAIK there's no independent confirmation from anywhere else.

I hope to God it is true, but there have been so many other disappointments this season...

This is definitley top of my Xmas wish list too. 

What I hope the new owners will do (if this does eventuate, like others have said us Heart fans should never get our hopes up):

1. John Aloisi told to fuck off

2. Munn should be told that to keep his job he needs to #heartbelieve which then sees Munny go into a twitter frenzy for 5 minutes hashtagging heartbelieve which then sees Bart Campbell storm into his office and says "Lol JK" and runs him out of the office with a giant baseball bat that says #heartbelieve

3. The ice bath wheelie bins should then be dropped off at Munn and JA's houses with all their office shit in there and a plane ticket to Manchester so they can begin their new lives as cleaning ladies for Manchester United. 

4. Manchester United then fold because Aloisi and Munn didn't clean the old trafford toilets enough which resulted in significant injuries to all players and staff. 

• Like 3

Let's not get our hopes up too much and then have them dashed later.

So far this story first surfaced about 6 weeks ago on SoccerStoppageTime. The latest legs on it come from Ray Gatt. AFAIK there's no independent confirmation from anywhere else.

I hope to God it is true, but there have been so many other disappointments this season...

I both papers have been reporting it this week aswell. What I also think ads to the credibility of the story is that they were at Saturdays game and pointed out. You would think they would only make a public appearence like that if the deal has been done

I just don't get what is the issue here.

They said club was for sale anyway.

If its sold now why all this theatrics ???

Just come out and announce it.

Another display how the club lacks any respect to those of us who are committed paid up members.

You would hope that any change of ownership would see it as a high priority to secure a proper club base, rather than at LaTrobe.

AAMI Park would be ideal obviously, but there is no reason why Casey Fields et al couldn't be looked at as an alternative, rather than the portables over at LaTrobe.

Also - Munn has done a pretty good job with what he's been given to work with imo.

These guys will get their own people in. No one will be kept.

Simon Hill, David Davutovic and Ray Gatt all confirmed this derby day to corporates. Said sale was imminent.

I think a total clean out is needed. Build a culture the new owners want.

What impressed me about the Bart Campbell interview I posted earlier is that when he took over the Storm he wanted People that knew the game and knew the city. We suffer from this. Our employed management and some staff have no idea about either.

Can't argue with results that have followed because of this.

I just don't get what is the issue here.

They said club was for sale anyway.

If its sold now why all this theatrics ???

Just come out and announce it.

Another display how the club lacks any respect to those of us who are committed paid up members.

I agree. If it is done, then we should be advised of same. Christmas or no Christmas.

Nothing worse than rumours.