Melbourne Football

2013/14 Season Re-Signings

MPM

This has just been posted on MHFC's Facebook page:

Mate Dugandzic, Jonatan Germano, Nick Kalmar and Sam Mitchinson have all agreed to extend their time with the Heart while the Club is also delighted to announce that 25-year-old Iain Ramsay will join the Club from Adelaide United.

This thread can be used to discuss all re-signings (I'm still waiting for Garcia to be re-signed!)

The club has announced Mate Dugandzic, Jonatan Germano, Nick Kalmar and Sam Mitchinson have all agreed to extend their time with the Heart while the Club also announced that Iain Ramsay will join the Club from Adelaide United.

Simon Colosimo, Matt Thompson, Fred and Clint Bolton will not be offered new contracts when their agreements expire on April 30.

Also mid-season signings Marcel Meeuwis, Jamie Coyne and Cameron Edwards have been released.

nothing said about hoffman yet, let's hope he doesn't sign. Also still waiting on news regarding garcia.

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 1

Is Ramsay's role similar to Williams'? Will they have to fight for selection?

I believe so. From what I know he is a left wing/mid who is quick and can score a goal. If we continue to play in a 4-3-3 he will probably compete with Williams for the LW position.

I believe so. From what I know he is a left wing/mid who is quick and can score a goal. If we continue to play in a 4-3-3 he will probably compete with Williams for the LW position.

I gotta feeling we will be moving Dugandzic into a central attacking role next season

Anyone know what the situation is regarding Tadic?

If I remember correctly he was only signed for one year, but the article doesnt mention him at all

Yeah he hasn't been mentioned anywhere, I wonder if the club favour him or Babalj as our first choice striker.

In my opinion, a really good day to be a Melbourne Heart F.C. supporter. Is the club finally listening to their supporters? I hope so.

Rapt with the signing of Iain Ramsay, I've always had high regard for him as a footballer. 

We MUST build our squad faster than we did for the 12/13 campaign and i think that's what we're seeing here today.

• Like 3

Anyone know what the situation is regarding Tadic?

If I remember correctly he was only signed for one year, but the article doesnt mention him at all

Yeah he hasn't been mentioned anywhere, I wonder if the club favour him or Babalj as our first choice striker.

I thought we looked good with Babalj at the 10 spot playing into Tadic only happened one game but it looked like it had potential.

TBH i would let go of Williams now, David's had his oppurtunity, and he has never shown the same form he did for NQ fury

No way, he's a good backup player now to Ramsay. Competition for spots might see him not take chances for granted like he appeared to this year.

I agree, I think Babalj and Tadic can co-exist both on the pitch or one being a replacement for the other. I'd love to see Babalj playing behind Tadic and D-MAC (or potentially sign someone better) coming off the bench to replace Tadic or Babalj and vice versa.

I can see Golgol coming off the bench to replace Ramsay/Williams. I also think they're gonna extend the bench spots to 5 next season as opposed to 4.

Redmayne

Walker - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Mitchinson

Garcia - - - Babalj - - - Ramsay

Dugandzic - - Tadic - - Raul

Bench: Goalkeeper, Golgol, Williams, Garuccio, Germano

Fixed.

Edited by Red or Dead
  • Like 1

I agree, I think Babalj and Tadic can co-exist both on the pitch or one being a replacement for the other. I'd love to see Babalj playing behind Tadic and D-MAC (or potentially sign someone better) coming off the bench to replace Tadic or Babalj and vice versa.

I can see Golgol coming off the bench to replace Ramsay/Williams. I also think they're gonna extend the bench spots to 5 next season as opposed to 4.

Redmayne

Walker - Vrankovic - Centre-back - Mitchinson

Gerhardt - - - Babalj - - - Ramsay

Bench: Goalkeeper, Golgol, Williams, D-MAC(or someone better), Andrew Cartanos (need a Greek name in the team)

Not a Garcia fan?

Ha! Oh yeah I forgot the three Gs; Garcia, Garuccio and Germano! Oops - yes, I am a fan of all three :-)

I do reckon with a strong CB (eg. Madaschi) and a marquee like Raul our squad isn't far away from we need it to be next season.

No still a long way to go. We need to have a full complement of players who can step up and play.

We have only just begun, it's a decent start (awesome if they let Hoffman go as well) and the signing of Ramsay is a step in the right direction.We need so much more of that.

We also require leaders who can make a difference on the pitch. A couple of genuine match winners,

• Like 1

Ha! Oh yeah I forgot the three Gs; Garcia, Garuccio and Germano! Oops - yes, I am a fan of all three :-)

I do reckon with a strong CB (eg. Madaschi) and a marquee like Raul our squad isn't far away from we need it to be next season.

No still a long way to go. We need to have a full complement of players who can step up and play.

We have only just begun, it's a decent start (awesome if they let Hoffman go as well) and the signing of Ramsay is a step in the right direction.We need so much more of that.

We also require leaders who can make a difference on the pitch. A couple of genuine match winners,

Agreed. We have enough rough diamonds. Now we need a core of solid starters that can take control of the match and know how to get results. Whilst putting on a show of course.

Redmayne

Fixed.

not quite fixed.

out of your 3 CM's, two are wingers and the other is a striker. on your bench of 5, you have no defenders. 

plz stahp until we actually have half a list.

• Like 3

So how Many can we have in our squad this us the list I got off the top of my head

redmayne,walker,mauk,garrucio,kalmar,dugandzic,dmac,Williams,gol gol,babalj,vrankovic,mitchinson,gerhardt, Ramsay.

Hoffman/Garcia/tadic- maybe?

FORWARDS
Eli Babalj
Mate Dugandzic
Ben Garuccio
Dylan Macallister
Golgol Mebrahtu
Iain Ramsay
David Williams 

MIDFIELDERS
Jonatan Germano
Nick Kalmar
Stefan Mauk

DEFENDERS
Patrick Gerhardt
Sam Mitchinson
David Vrankovic
Jeremy Walker

KEEPERS
Andrew Redmayne

We currently have 15 players signed for next season. We're in talks with Hoffman, Garcia and Tadic.

Redmayne

Fixed.

lmfao may as well go all out and play 11 attackers

I can't see us getting an attacking midfielder if we re sign Garcia, Ramsay and dugandzic is enough for the wings coming in, i think the club should aim for holding midfield, and the focus on defensive issues

This is EXACTLY what people were saying last preseason. Shows we've done jack shit.

• Like 2

I gotta feeling we will be moving Dugandzic into a central attacking role next season

As long as he puts on at 5-10kg of muscle, love him as a player, my favourite for the heart, but too soft on the ball.

So how Many can we have in our squad this us the list I got off the top of my head

redmayne,walker,mauk,garrucio,kalmar,dugandzic,dmac,Williams,gol gol,babalj,vrankovic,mitchinson,gerhardt, Ramsay.

Hoffman/Garcia/tadic- maybe?

FORWARDS
Eli Babalj
Mate Dugandzic
Ben Garuccio
Dylan Macallister
Golgol Mebrahtu
Iain Ramsay
David Williams 

MIDFIELDERS
Jonatan Germano
Nick Kalmar
Stefan Mauk

DEFENDERS
Patrick Gerhardt
Sam Mitchinson
David Vrankovic
Jeremy Walker

KEEPERS
Andrew Redmayne

We currently have 15 players signed for next season. We're in talks with Hoffman, Garcia and Tadic.

Do the maths and this is a bit concerning.  If we take the three listed still to sign and add in a second goalkeeper, that takes us to 19 and incredibly top heavy in attack.  With a squad of 22 - 23, all future signings will have to be defenders or defensive midfielders.  

The problems I forsee  -

1.  Where is the kick ass creative attacking midfielder who can split the lines?? 

2.  Will the marquee we sign be a big name?? - most marquees are popular for creating or scoring goals and we won't have room for any more attackers without seriously being short at the back.

3.  Even if we do sign defenders/DMs only, any injuries to defenders will still leave us exposed in defensive options (especially given Mitchinson's progression) and all good teams in the A-league are built from the back.

4. WTF is Hoffman still in the equation??  If he's deemed to be able to cover back I'll have a stroke!!

5.  Surely if Tadic signs, D-Mac has to go to create room in the squad??

Will give JA credit for starting the transformation, but squad balance will be interesting.

• Like 1

Hoffman is a waste of a list spot. No other way to describe it. 

I have a suspicion we will not be signing Garcia or Tadic. Strange to me as they have been most impressive.

Whilst I applaud the hard decisions made so far (not hard in terms of performance but club champions) we really need to have an attitude that EVERY spot on our squad list is vita;. Can't waste two on DMac and Hoffman. 

Will wait to see what takes place over the coming weeks and month but surely Hoffman will be shown the door.

• Like 2

If Hoffman does re-sign, which looks very likely, I think we deserve an explanation from the club, even if he is only on minimum wage. With all the other players re-signed, we can see a reason for it, they have improved, they are young and show potential etc. Hoffman has shown nothing in the 3 seasons. He has not improved, he has no potential. And if we keep Babalj, Tadic and Macallister, it's not like JA can say he's going to play him as a striker, cause we don't need another striker.

It is a complete waste of a spot that could be used for a young defender (or any defender) so I want an explanation. We can all see he's terrible, surely JA and the club can too?

• Like 1

With Hoffman maybe Heart HQ think they have a Brett Holman type ... someone who if played enough, no matter how unimpressive, will eventually come good.

Just what do they see in him?

Hoffman's problem is that he is a striker who can't score at HAL level, below that he's prolific. He scored goals for fun for the Olyroos. Unfortunately this means that he's been played out of position for 3 seasons, he still defends like a striker and isn't creative enough in midfield. He certainly can be played in any position on the park, but so could I. I don't understand how he sees this as being good for his own development, nor what the club sees in it. There's no questioning his commitment to the game nor the club, just his contribution.

Edited by belaguttman

"It leaves Heart with just two foundation players (Nick Kalmar and Eli Babalj), although Babalj is keen to return to Europe, while Jason Hoffman is set to re-sign on close to the minimum wage."

"while negotiations continue with Richard Garcia, Josip Tadic and Hoffman."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-axes-four-players-as-club-looks-to-rebound-from-worst-ever-finish/story-fnhq6mx8-1226615075074

"@mattthommo8 Thanks everyone for their kind words.... Absolutely gutted that I won't be with the heart next season..."

If we can get a fee for Eli and retain Garcia, Tadic that'd be a really good outcome. The squad is in a pretty good place at the moment, and the club has plent to play with, almost half the cap and two marquee spots...

However, I'd would get rid of Willow if we could, especially with Ramsey in and a fit Golgol to come, he's on quite a bit from memory too. While DMac and Hoff are simply deapth players and would be on barely 60k each.

Hit list:
- Second Kepper,
- 1st XI Left-back,
- 2x 1st XI CBs,
- 1st XI creative no. 10 (Marquee?),
- Versatile mid - squad player,
- Quality CF, if Babalj is to leave.

Possible squad:
Redders
Walker - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX

Gerhardt - Germano
XXXXX