Melbourne Football

Josip Tadic Thread

jw1739

i'd assume a one year contract as most foreign strikers coming to the league are signed on 1 year deals. That way the clubs have the flexibility to sign another foreign striker for next season if the current one flops.

Having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if there's an option of extending if he scores, for example, over 10 goals by the end of the season.

i'd assume a one year contract as most foreign strikers coming to the league are signed on 1 year deals. That way the clubs have the flexibility to sign another foreign striker for next season if the current one flops.

Having said that, i wouldn't be surprised if there's an option of extending if he scores, for example, over 10 goals by the end of the season.

I must agree. I believe he would be on a one year contract. (it's silly that we have to presume such a thing. The media release was clearly written by amateurs). I don't believe it's a contract length to offer us flexibility, but rather a means for Josip to attract Asian interest. I just find it strange that there is no mention on his length of contract. This is very strange in football.

I was always led to believe that it's the information that is not made available that is the only information of worth.

For a significant signing that Josip has become, why no mention of the contact length? wouldn't you announce the signing with Josip present in Australia, possibly at a media conference to attract some tv media interest? We cannot rely on online media to promote the signings alone.

Can we ban markn? Srsly shut up about how much worse of you are than everyone else and buy a fucking seasons membership to support the club ffs! Because in a couple of years time without buying a season ticket, you wouldn't be able to buy a 5 game membership because the club may not be exist!

this pre-season we've only had the announcement of aloisi. Should we be expecting more press releases?

I would hope so.

Idealy you want a media release for everything that happens in the off season. I have no doubt a media release was issued for josips signing, but it was very vague. All media areas are reporting the same quotes. Unfortunately I am yet to see any visual media (apart from fox) picking up the story. No mention in the channel nine or seven news etc. sen??? Visual media were quick to report milligans signing. Did anyone even know we signed gol gol? I only read about it here.

It's Important that we remind the community that heart are also in the a-league. Why not issue an image or small video of Josip with our top. Maybe a few words following the signing. It's been days and nothing! If we want exposure our media department must wake up and give visual media something - rather than a Getty image.

I would hope so.

Idealy you want a media release for everything that happens in the off season. I have no doubt a media release was issued for josips signing, but it was very vague. All media areas are reporting the same quotes. Unfortunately I am yet to see any visual media (apart from fox) picking up the story. No mention in the channel nine or seven news etc. sen??? Visual media were quick to report milligans signing. Did anyone even know we signed gol gol? I only read about it here.

It's Important that we remind the community that heart are also in the a-league. Why not issue an image or small video of Josip with our top. Maybe a few words following the signing. It's been days and nothing! If we want exposure our media department must wake up and give visual media something - rather than a Getty image.

the club will probably release a video as they did with gray and gerhardt my guess would be this week be patient.

It's not about being patient. It's about being first.

A video release will be far too late.

It's silly that our base is at la tribe Uni. Do heart actually visit the media department of the Uni to understand how to announce major signings to the media?

We are sponsored by the herald sun. Can we not forward a video clip for the herald sun to upload to their digital subscribers? If this was an afl club, the media manager would have been sacked.

It appears that Josip is our big signing for the year. Possibly the biggest signing of the competition. so where is the media interest to replicate the significance of the signing?

yeah, but i'm also talking about the more 'formal' ones which usually involves the chairman, the player, and the coach in that media room at aami park where we hear the usual line; "Melbourne Heart football club is delighted to announce the signing of...." and then questions are asked from the reporters.

maybe we are waiting to formally announce it when Tadic is in the country (unless he's already here?). But even so, i'd expect the club to make a bigger deal of it, since he seems to be our main striker, and possibly our 'biggest' signing of the pre-season, unless JD has something else up his sleeve.

• Like 1

The club finally gets us in the headlines with the signing of Tadic and it's not enough.

I don't think Tadic is even in Australia yet, so they couldn't do a video or photoshoot.

Heart don't control the media either. Look where the article in today's Age was regarding the signing of Tadic. Buried in the back, in small font and bunched together with other 'soccer' articles.

Heart are not an AFL club so don't compare them.

I'm sure more coverage of Tadic will trickle out over the next few days, keeping Heart in the media for more than a single day. Maybe they'll release contract details along with a photoshoot, to make sure most media outlets report it.

Keep calm and carry on.

Edited by Murfy1

The club finally gets us in the headlines with the signing of Tadic and it's not enough.

I don't think Tadic is even in Australia yet, so I they couldn't do a video or photoshoot.

Heart don't control the media either. Look where the article in today's Age was regarding the signing of Tadic. Buried in the back, in small font and bunched together with other 'soccer' articles.

Heart are not an AFL club so don't compare them.

I'm sure more coverage of Tadic will trickle out over the next few days, keeping Heart in the media for more than a single day. Maybe they'll release contract details along with a photoshoot, to make sure most media outlets report it.

Keep calm and carry on.

I oversee media releases for a living. Media and advertising is my job. I beg you to find one media representative to confirm the media strategy regarding josips signing was beneficial. We have 24 hours from the moment of the announcement before it becomes yesterday's news. Did we receive the media exposure we deserve?

If I was hired I would have done the following:

Upon his signing, I would have had a video and still shots of him putting our top on. I would have had him say a few words. created a small 30 second grab of his past few goals. I would have the club say a few words on camera etc. this would all be done if Josip was not in the country.

If he was in the country, I would issue a press release and conference on a Tuesday. Tuesday is a slow media day for afl so it gives us exposure on Tuesday's news. I would then issue copies of all the above. A Tuesday press conference gives us tv exposure on Tuesday evening and Wednesday mornings. It also gives us online exposure that day, with print media the following. Rather than a few lines in print media, we have now offered the media official photos. In print media, attention to an article increases by 500% if accompanied by an image.

Not to mention the options available through social media etc.

All this would have been sent to all media outlets, both print, radio, online and visual.

And this is just step 1 in my advertising and public relations strategy for a signing as big as this.

• Like 2

Markn, why don't you send the club some of your suggestions?

if they dont have a representative following this forum, then they are not doing their job.

In victory's first few season, their marking managers were active on the supporters forum website. do we have a single forum member from the club offering posts or updates?

Social media is very important in promoting a product/service. Look at the success of the Kony 2012 campaign.

Would have loved to offer these suggestions, but i seem (like many members from last season) to miss the memo regarding the forum held at la trobe a few months ago.

Tadic was predicted to become a world class player when he was 17 and made his first division debut with Osijek.. Was really skillful and a great finisher..

What has stopped him from having a better career is his speed to some extent but more his head.. He is a confidence player and will drop his head if things don't go well.. Abit like Babalj I guess..

It is a shame because he has the talent. I think he can be fantastic in Australia but haven't followed him in the last one or two years so don't know where he is at.. Definitely has/had the quality though..

Scott Munn told me on twitter that Tadic should arrive within the next 2 weeks, the club is just waiting for his visa to clear/be confirmed.

That was on Saturday, so I think all going well, he should be lining up (hopefully) in the Port Melbourne, if not Richmond, practice match.

• 2 weeks later...

Croatian lift for Heart

August 9, 2012

Michael Lynch

art-aloisi-tadic-620x349.jpg

ROOKIE coach John Aloisi has heard all the jibes about Melbourne Heart's squad being ripped apart by the departures of some of its best young talent in the A-League's interminable off-season, but the former Socceroo striker does not look too perturbed.

One of the country's top goalscorers himself, he is happy he has the depth in his squad to be competitive against any opposition in the upcoming season - and the firepower at his disposal to cause teams more than a few problems in the attacking third of the pitch.

Yesterday, Aloisi welcomed the final member of his front line in Croatian forward Josip Tadic, a 24-year-old who has signed for Heart after periods in his native country, Germany's Bundesliga, France's Ligue Un and in Poland.

Tadic is lean and tall, a man who can play with the ball at his feet, in wide areas or as a target man if needed, says Aloisi. His versatility will make him an important member of his team's attacking line-up.

''He's very mobile, he can play anywhere along the front three, can hold up the ball, and technically he's very good. We have got five strikers now, all of whom are different and he's going to be a key player for us,'' the Heart boss said.

While Dylan Macallister is more of a traditional target man, Tadic will complement Mate Dugandzic, new signing Golgol Mebrahtu and David Williams, the one-time Socceroo who needs a good season to relaunch his career. ''I am very happy with [the] firepower we have got,'' Aloisi said.

''We thought we needed something a bit different and Dylan and Josip gives us that. We should be creating enough chances for them with players like Fred and Matt Thompson in the midfield.''

Tadic has an impressive pedigree. And he knows what to expect from the A-League, having played with two of its current big names - Adelaide's Socceroo Dario Vidosic and Brisbane's Golden Boot winner Besart Berisha - when all three were at Arminia Bielefeld in the Second Division in Germany.

''I spoke to them before deciding to come here. I was out of contract and when the offer came I asked them about the league,'' he said. ''They said it was a good standard and that Australia was a good place to live. It's different to Europe, they said it was hard tackling and a lot of running, not so technical, but good to play in and a good standard.''

He should feel at home immediately, as his English is good and he knows at least one familiar face at the Heart in Dugandzic, who was in the Dinamo Zagreb youth team when Tadic was in the first-team squad having returned from an 18-month spell with Bayer Leverkusen in the German Bundesliga at the start of his career.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/croatian-lift-for-heart-20120808-23uhd.html#ixzz22xu7zZzq

• 2 weeks later...

Again nobody can tell us how long his contract is. Nor can they tell us whether a transfer fee was involved.

I hope he does well, and I hope he scores plenty of goals, but I want to know whether we made a long term investment rather than attempting a quick fix. His record overall is good, but his record of late is questionable. Is this a move for the player or the club. Only time will tell. As mentioned before his only job is to score. If he scores I am happy. If not then was his purchase over walker ( or like) a benefit to the club.

Time will be the judge. I also hope a fitness test was performed prior to his signing.

Isn't it strange only a little amount of information has been released regarding his signing. Even victory announced the length of their contract for mark. What's to hide?

Re my ability to affor a membership- you posters need to mature a lot. The fact that I have even contributed over 80 posts suggest I am a keen heart supporter. When collingwood attract 80k to the game, when only 50k are members, does that mean 30k are not 'exploring' an interest in the club?

Where do you get your figures form mate? AFL crowds are the lowest they have been since 1996. Only 31k average per game. Considering this sport is "in your face" every friggen day on the TV they should be attracting 80k every game!

League is a shambles. Being on TV as well their crowds are on par with the A-league's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He was disappointing but it is probably a bit harsh to write him off just yet. There is no room for his diving crap but he seemed to be ok on the ball from what I saw. My biggest concern with him is that he doesn't seem to have a turn of pace at all. He just seems to run at a mediocre speed with no explosiveness. That says he is going to have to rely on his ability to control the ball and positioning in order to score or assist goals, and will not be that much use to us on a fast break.