Melbourne Football

Josip Tadic Thread

jw1739

I hope like hell he's not this season's Maycon. All bluff and promise, little delivery.

FFS when was their bluff and promise about Maycon?

The guy was signed for peanuts and was so Ghetto he thought Bundoora was New York.

If Tadic fails, it will be much more of a flop than Maycon being no good.

• Like 3

Think we need to be careful in assessing our strikers. None have broken double figures in a season. Babalj was the closest, but he was an individualist and a great runner with the ball at his feet. To me it's more the inept delivery to put the strikers in a scoring position that is the issue, and that's where the other teams have it over us at the moment.

• Like 3

If you look at Hear when they went on their winning run in December last year, we were running at defences, creating space, playing on the counter and opening things up for ourselves......from January onwards, we seemed to be trying to play with short passes and getting as close to the box (or the goal line in Babalj's case) and just crowded ourselves out, making it very predictable and easy for opposition to shut us down.

Apart from the opening match this year, where we worked in more space, we've reverted to going forward slowly, getting a crowded situation in the box, trying short passes that just aren't on. We have pace on the wings, but don't appear to have guys good enough to cross it well in the air (Dugandzic seems to be able to cross well along the ground) to allow us to head shots with some momentum. McAllister has shown he can score, but I agree, all our strikers need better supply and more space to work within......then I think we'll see more goals.

i'm not judging tadic until i see him play 5-6 games in his preferred position at CF, which is what he was signed for, not as an AM or a winger.

My concern is based on his decision making, not his finishing. True, the service has not been good, but neither has been his passing or positioning. I'm happy to give him more time though

Edited by belaguttman

If you look at Hear when they went on their winning run in December last year, we were running at defences, creating space, playing on the counter and opening things up for ourselves......from January onwards, we seemed to be trying to play with short passes and getting as close to the box (or the goal line in Babalj's case) and just crowded ourselves out, making it very predictable and easy for opposition to shut us down.

Apart from the opening match this year, where we worked in more space, we've reverted to going forward slowly, getting a crowded situation in the box, trying short passes that just aren't on. We have pace on the wings, but don't appear to have guys good enough to cross it well in the air (Dugandzic seems to be able to cross well along the ground) to allow us to head shots with some momentum. McAllister has shown he can score, but I agree, all our strikers need better supply and more space to work within......then I think we'll see more goals.

I don't know where this fantasy of our successful run last season came from playing only counter attack football. We played on the counter away from home and mostly a possession based game at home. That 4-0 Sydney win seems to have clouded the memory of many.

• Like 1

Tadic just highlights some of the issues that need to be dealt with when recruiting from overseas. Had anyone directly connected with Heart actually seen him play in the period immediately before he signed? How versatile was he? Did he offer anything that we didn't already have - for example, David Williams? He arrived late as I understand it because his GF had some difficulty getting a visa - we should have been awake to this. After all, we're signing players, not their GFs. He therefore missed most of the pre-season, and by that time Macallister was looking good and so, being JA's mate in any case, was always going to be first choice. QED.

We have to give him time in the team, but as we have laboured before, there's no other competition he can play in except the NYL which is a waste of time because he'll be up against 18-year-olds and we will stifle the development of one of our young strikers at the same time. And we can't just give him a run in the A-League because we need to win matches. It would be a different story if we were 4-0 up in every game with 30 minutes to go and could give him 30 minutes on the pitch every week. But it's not like that.

I hope that as a club we're learning from this.

As for Josip Tadic, he's here and we have to do the best for him we can and he for us. I hope the celebrated Ron Smith is being involved in what to do and how best to use him.

Edited by jw1739

jw1739---------- I agree overwhelmingly with allot mentioned. I hope tadic was not a 'YouTube' (inverted comers for those who don’t understand the reference) purchase, and I questioned (form day 1) why he arrived at the club so late. If he was professional, he would have been here soon after his signing.

Sometimes it’s difficult to criticise the club on this forum. Some fail to acknowledge the club can do any wrong.

But sometimes criticism towards the club is warranted, and the criticism towards Tadic is more than expected.

Heard of a working VISA? It takes much longer for some...

then dont announce a signing until you can get a working visa. After all if he couldn't get a visa then he is not a signing. so what was the rush in anouncing it?

or is the truth his g-f could not get a visa?

Sometimes it’s difficult to criticise the club on this forum. Some fail to acknowledge the club can do any wrong.

You keep saying this, but people on this forum criticise the club all the time. Most of us just don't agree with this level of criticism of a guy who's played 70mins of football in a new country.

a guy who's played 70mins of football in a new country.

Exactly. He has played 70 min of a possible 270 minutes + injury time. A tad under 1 in 4.

Need anyone say more about this players worth to the team? Maybe there is a reason he has been fortunate to play as much as he has.

Sometimes it's difficult to praise the club on this forum. Some fail to acknowledge the club can do any right.

Seriously, have you read through the threads on this forum? Criticism:praise ratio is about 2000:1

A summary of the threads to date would suggest:

1. Every player should be sacked, none are fit to wear the shirt

2. The CEO and Football manager should be sacked

3. The club should never concede from a set piece - to do so suggests that we have failed football

4. We should have 1000+ passes with a 100% completion rate every match playing tiki taka - if we can't do that by Season 3, we have failed

5. We should smash every team 11-0, any player who doesn't score in each match must be crap and should be sacked

6. We should sign 100 different strikers with a combined wage bill of $1b to compete for 1 place and by definition 99 of those players must be crap and should be sacked because they don't make the first team

7. Every player should be 100% fit for every match of the season, if not then our medical team and footballing department has failed

8. We should have a minimum 20k crowd every match, failing to do so means that the club has failed because all the staff are inept and know nothing about running a business or football club

I can't imagine why any 'prospective' member reading about Heart would want to support such a terrible prospect both on and off the field.

• Like 2

did josip take your wife is that why you are angry at the young striker?

thats very low.

this forum is to debate matters relevant to the topic, not take personal attacks at people (especially family members).

If you dont like what i posted, then rebut accordingly.

I'm disapointed that someone like Tesla (with such a high standard in this forum) beleives an inaporpriate comment like that was appropriate. Would love to read your reply Tesla.

Edited by markn

I'm not convinced your argument regarding the minutes Tadic has played really works. Granted, he should be working on getting comfortable with JA's preferred system on the training track, but I don't think we can dismiss him entirely based on that.

Vrankovic has only played a game, we lost that - should we be dropping him?

Your views are strong, and quite interesting but I would be inclined to give Tadic a bit more time.

I'm not convinced your argument regarding the minutes Tadic has played really works. Granted, he should be working on getting comfortable with JA's preferred system on the training track, but I don't think we can dismiss him entirely based on that.

Vrankovic has only played a game, we lost that - should we be dropping him?

Your views are strong, and quite interesting but I would be inclined to give Tadic a bit more time.

Part of me is disapointed in Tadic's performace because he was purchased with such fan fair (particularly by the club) as the replacement for ali. This forward was promoted as the player who kept berisha on the bench. These were JD's words on the kevin bartlett show.

Vrankovic joined the club as a young player (barelly out of his teens), he should not be under anywhere as much critisism as a seasoned veteran in tadic. Personally Vrankovic has been impressive. He appears to be a wise man on a young body willing to try hard for the benefit of the team.

Tadic could learn from the enthusiasm displayed by such young players.

Re hype - fair call, Tadic has had pretty poor service/been played out of position during his 70 mins so far.

Might it be that JA starts him up front this Sunday to get his confidence up? We may be in a better position to make judgements after this week, rather than write the poor bloke off after three rounds.

Re hype - fair call, Tadic has had pretty poor service/been played out of position during his 70 mins so far.

Might it be that JA starts him up front this Sunday to get his confidence up? We may be in a better position to make judgements after this week, rather than write the poor bloke off after three rounds.

If another player is playing in Tadic's preferred position, would it be reasonable to presume that the second player may be a better performer in that role than tadic?

The blight should not be on JA to play Tadic in his preferred position, but rather Tadic perform better than the current selection in D Mac.

I dont know whethe Tadic will be given the opportunity to perform this Sunday. We will only see.

Match reports on monday said that Tadic added to our side on Sunday after he came on. I only watched the second half which was a poor showing from the side as a whole. I think we can write that performance off and look forward to next Sunday.

A Tadic hat-trick after a brace from D-Mac? Here's hoping.

• Like 1

I didn't see the game on Sunday so can't really comment on his form. But I always felt that with his solid pre season, Macallister is the obvious choice to start the season as our no.9. And that this was a good thing for Tadic - so he could get familiar with playing in this league with 20 or 30 minutes off the bench, and without the pressure of being our number 1 hope from the start.

It can take some players time to get used to playing at a new club and a new league - especially if they don't have a whole pre-season at the club. So gradually building up his match time seems like the right way to go. Unfortunately, without Williams, Tadic has played on the left instead of the position we recruited him for. But for now, let him settle in and get off his back.

Although someone needs to tell him that going down looking for free kicks isn't a good look in Australia.

Tadic should come through. After his first goal expect to see a different tadic. Strikers go through goal scoring periods then it can be ages till they score again. Even messi, hes been on fire this season. Still he had three games in a row for barca where he did not score, yet still played every minute of the game, didnt hear anyone calling on him to be sacked.

Looking at our own league. Heskey and Piero both started in round 1. Heskey played 72 minutes, and piero the full game, with both failing to score. Correct me if Im wrong but Heskey and Piero are far better than our man Tadic is, yet we expect him to be kicking more goals then Heskey and Piero even though hes barely played 100 minutes for us, been played out of position to fill holes (as opposed to newcastle and sydney who are basically building the team around their marquee men), yet we still expect him to do well.

The man needs a chance, perhaps after a few more appearances as a sub, hopefully playing in his preferred role, or even a start in his preffered position we will be in a position to cast judgement. As far as I am aware Tadic has the capability to be an excellent player for the Heart, so long as he is managed properly. I could be wrong, and he could turn into a massive flop for the club. But what im saying is give him TIME!!!

• Like 1

Tadic should come through. After his first goal expect to see a different tadic. Strikers go through goal scoring periods then it can be ages till they score again. Even messi, hes been on fire this season. Still he had three games in a row for barca where he did not score, yet still played every minute of the game, didnt hear anyone calling on him to be sacked.

generally that's because Messi isn't a new signing and everyone already knows he is prodigy.

Edited by macri

When are we going to get a top class a-league player? I understand we have Fred, but I don't consider him at the same level as your Berisha's or your Ifill's. Hell, even though he is a diving c**t, Jeronimo at Adelaide is fucking awesome as well.

Yes, Tadic could turn out to be sweet, but at the minute he has shown nothing. We give no reason for potential new fans to get on board with our lack of excitement in the front third. It has been the same since our inception.

When are we going to get a top class a-league player? I understand we have Fred, but I don't consider him at the same level as your Berisha's or your Ifill's. Hell, even though he is a diving c**t, Jeronimo at Adelaide is fucking awesome as well.

Yes, Tadic could turn out to be sweet, but at the minute he has shown nothing. We give no reason for potential new fans to get on board with our lack of excitement in the front third. It has been the same since our inception.

We don't need a top class player if we play as a top class team.

• Like 1