Melbourne Football

Player Contracts - 2018-19

forbze

It does sound as if you will be a lot stronger than this season when all players are signed.

Also agree with those that say that pre-season training should improve the skills of a few players already in the squad.

As I have previously said I would love to see Jordy Hiwula at Melbourne. He needs to work in a few aspects of his game, but he is a natural goalscorer who could really light up the A League

For those who haven't seen it...

http://www.mcfc.com/Elite-Development-Squad/Forwards/Jordy-Hiwula

and you can browse through the other players in the City EDS with a few clicks.

"One to watch" video by Man City on him 

Needs a better partner at CB, someone more mobile and preferably left footed.

Unquestionably. IMO Wielaert has been disappointing. I can't see him being retained at the conclusion of his contract. Wielaert is bloody awful.

/discussion

Edited by KautoStar1

Needs a better partner at CB, someone more mobile and preferably left footed.

Unquestionably. IMO Wielaert has been disappointing. I can't see him being retained at the conclusion of his contract. Wielaert is bloody awful.

/discussion

I do think you need someone alongside Kisnorbo next season

second goal last night was all wielarts fault he shouldn't and cant afford to slip over in the area whether he got pushed or not. not worth an international spot at all he is simply to old and too slow there are much better cb's out there that we could sign.

It was a foul, although he was caught out of position at first.

second goal last night was all wielarts fault he shouldn't and cant afford to slip over in the area whether he got pushed or not. not worth an international spot at all he is simply to old and too slow there are much better cb's out there that we could sign.

Let's be honest. He's a big disappointment. Hasn't really put his stamp of class or authority on anything. And I'll bet he's on a fair chunk of that salary cap.

We need to be a lot better with our recruitment of overseas players. Too many have disappointed so far. I think City's scouting network will remedy that, but meanwhile we are left with these legacy players.

• Like 1

Lets hope city group will be prepared to "short circuit" some of those contracts we had to carry on from last year if their performance is below required standard.

This will show a clear message they run a result orientated business.

Unfortunately "short circuiting" some of those contracts takes away from our salary cap. As rich as City are, they still have to obey the salary cap.

You're correct, I forgot that this figure still has to fit under the cap.

Ridiculous rule, it only encourages short term contracts to avoid this kind if situation.

Unless you come across an absolute gem like Rogic

Unfortunately "short circuiting" some of those contracts takes away from our salary cap. As rich as City are, they still have to obey the salary cap.

You're correct, I forgot that this figure still has to fit under the cap.

Ridiculous rule, it only encourages short term contracts to avoid this kind if situation.

Unless you come across an absolute gem like Rogic

Haven't seen him done anything fantastic for Victory. Mostly just trying to run with the ball and losing it. It's all nice and pretty with his runs and tricks but if there's no end result..what's the point? I rather a player that is not all fancy but get the job done ala Germano. 

wow kalmar gone. I am actually very suprised with that. He didnt look happy at the awards night! 

If true, I don't think NK can really complain. He's had four seasons to prove himself, he'll be 27 at the start of next season and is unlikely to improve from here, and he really hasn't done enough to warrant retention.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

wow kalmar gone. I am actually very suprised with that. He didnt look happy at the awards night! 

If true, I don't think NK can really complain. He's had four seasons to prove himself, he'll be 27 at the start of next season and is unlikely to improve from here, and he really hasn't done enough to warrant retention.

True, but with keeping Velaphi and Williams I thought Kalmar was a shoe in then haha

• Like 1

I think Weilaart has been quality besides Kisnorbo, he is a smart player, just lacks a bit of pace

• Like 1

I think Weilaart has been quality besides Kisnorbo, he is a smart player, just lacks a bit of pace

Geez Kalmar gone. That's the first ballsy move of this off season. 

Always liked Kalmar, seems like a nice guy and popular around the club, and there was a period at the end of season 3 where he made quite a few opponents look stupid. He is however limited and I look forward to upgrading him.

Glad we still get tea leaves in the offseason. The more info the better. #standbytealeaves

I strongly disagree with you, I hope we either sign someone new or give Archibald a few starts next season.

Geez Kalmar gone. That's the first ballsy move of this off season. 

Always liked Kalmar, seems like a nice guy and popular around the club, and there was a period at the end of season 3 where he made quite a few opponents look stupid. He is however limited and I look forward to upgrading him.

Glad we still get tea leaves in the offseason. The more info the better. #standbytealeaves

I would have been pretty disillusioned if our Fancy New Owners thought Nick Kalmar needed a new contract.

The bloke's career summed up MHFC over the past four years... signs of promise but never any consistency.

• Like 1

my thoughts too cad, at 26 you are no longer an 'emerging talent' (which was my gripe with velaphi and redmayne too)

IMO it is a bit different with keepers, they tend to peak later than other players.  I always had a soft spot for Nick as he did have that technical side to his game that most of the other players didn't have.  That being said we can't keep waiting for him to reach his potential. I wish we didn't have to let him go, but I am glad we have.

• Like 3

my thoughts too cad, at 26 you are no longer an 'emerging talent' (which was my gripe with velaphi and redmayne too)

You can add multiple other players to that list, such as:

- David Williams, 26, and across his 3 year contract he has been awfully inconsistent

- Jonatan Germano, 26, he's so often injured he could only play 10 games this season (696 mins) and 13 games last season (972 mins)

- Iain Ramsay, 26, simply disappointing, and this season he fell well short of the standard he set in previous seasons at other A-League clubs

- Jason Hoffman, 25 turning 26 next January. Needed to play in 3 different positions over 4 seasons to stop getting dropped

So Kalmar can probably count himself unlucky if he is released, whilst the above 4 and both Redmayne and Velaphi can count themselves pretty lucky to still be at Heart, as all of the above are no longer 'emerging talents' and maybe only Williams could be said to have had a consistent and good season (if one narrowly just looked at the 12 goals he's scored [and ignored that 3 were pens, and 1 was a cross that went in] and ignored other criteria [for instance, did Williams even provide 1 assist this season? despite being a no 10 for a while, I'm pretty sure he didn't]).

Probably an inability to find proper replacements is the only reason that the 6 players listed above weren't also released this off-season (Ramsay and Germano might well have survived due to pre-existing contracts for next season, that the club found unfeasible [or was unable] to terminate). They can count themselves very lucky. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

@ Malloy yes keepers are definitely different. If you're good enough (or show signs that you're good enough) at 26 you can keep going (pun intended) for at least 7-8-9-10 years. However neither of our keepers are really good already nor do they show 'potential'

I think Redders shows potential. He has gotten worse this season. One thing I like about Redders is that when he goes for the ball he tends to hold it rather than punch it, which imo is a very good trait to have as it kills off pressure instantly.

His big downfall is when he has too much time to make a decision. If he relies on instinct he does well. Under a good keeper coach I think he could become a too A-League keeper. The problem with that is how many good keeper coaches do or would work at an A League club

• jw1739 unpinned this topic