Williams

Hoffman

Garuccio

Mauk

Dugandzic

Kisnorbo

Retre

Archibold

Plus possibly 1-2 others like Engelaar, Wielaart.

That would mean a squad of about 12.  We'd probably look to replacement local youth for youth so adding another 4 of those takes us up to 16.  Mooy 17, so what Man City said about looking for 4-5 players is about right.

I think people had unrealistic expectations about pillaging players and coaches.  But I'd be really disappointed if we didn't land a star marquee.

Edited by mulhollanddrive

For that matter, I wonder whether it includes if the team offer to pay, say, $1,000 for every goal scored as a bonus at the end of the season.

Good question, I also think bonus's don't count.

On four four two, people were saying that it costs clubs so much more to play in the Asian Champions League. I asked how that was, since a contract is over a year, wether they play a regular season, or added champions league.

The reply I got was player bonus's, such as game time, goals, clean sheets. So I hazzard a guess, it doesn't count, but it's nothing official. Fairly sure bonuses paid are counted, though their might be an exemption for ACL bonuses.

If it weren't the case every player would be on base wage with bonuses for every minute they got of game time or for every time they touched the ball.

Such an easy way around the salary cap would have been thought of

Edited by malloy

Here's some different statements from Davutovic to Fox Sports Kick Off show from last Friday, including a next of players contracted for next season:

Melbourne Heart 

Contracted Players for 2014-15

Andrew Redmayne 

Tando Velaphi 

Jason Hoffman 

Rob Wielaert 

Jonatan Germano 

Nick Kalmar  

David Williams 

Mate Dugandzic  

Stefan Mauk 

Ben Garuccio 

Massimo Murdocca 

Iain Ramsay 

Aaron Mooy 

So that leaves the following players uncertain for next season: Behich (likely gone), Gerhardt, Walker, Mitchinson, Vrankovic, Kisnorbo.

Kisnorbo seems to be the only big uncertainty, with all the other players seemingly likely/rumoured to go.

"[There will be] plenty of changes there [at Melbourne Heart]"

"next week more than likely will be his [Engelaar's] last game for the Heart. The new owners want to make a statement signing, and they want to use the marquee position to make that signing. John van't Schip is keen to keep him, but in order to get him into the salary cap you'd probably have to slice his wage in about half, and that's unlikely to happen."

"They've got a bit of room to manoeuvre in the salary cap as well".  

"There's every chance that one of their [New York City FC's] big name signings ends up coming here to Melbourne Heart on a guest stint for the start of the season."

It should also be noted that if the likes of Retre, Archibald or Dao are signed to the senior team from the NYL team, they will not take up any of the 23 senior squad spots, as each A-League team is allowed to sign up to 3 players from the NYL team to the senior team on base wages outside of the salary cap and even if all 23 senior squad spots are filled (I think of it as the '23+3 rule'). 

So the latest report is that there will be 9 or 10 squad spots available to be filled for next season.

Edited by Murfy1

If we have trouble keeping under the salary cap then we are paying quite a few of the above-listed players far, far too much. Some serious errors of judgement have been made in the past. I don't understand why we extend the contracts of squaddies by 2 years because it puts a block in front of talented NYL players coming through. One year extensions for squaddies - yes/maybe. Two years - no.

Edited by jw1739

Here's some different statements from Davutovic to Fox Sports Kick Off show from last Friday, including a next of players contracted for next season:

Gee I'd strike out a few of those if I could ( my comments )

Melbourne Heart 

Andrew Redmayne ( not at the top of his game)

Tando Velaphi ( was happy to see him given a go, but makes Redders look world class)

Jason Hoffman ( a legend in his lunchtime!, good squad player though)

Rob Wielaert  ( has his moments, of brilliance and despairs)

Jonatan Germano ( now that he is fit, will be a good squad player)

Nick Kalmar  (Even though i like him, he  must have photo's of JVS in a compromised situation)

David Williams ( scored 12 but missed about 40)

Mate Dugandzic  ( coming back from serious injury, plus heavily strapped knee, lets hope that he fires on all cylinders, up and down season)

Stefan Mauk  ( showed what he can do in the last match, good for the future)

Ben Garuccio ( please play him up the park, he aint a full back)

Massimo Murdocca ( i love Mass for his workrate and never say die attitude, but his first touch is almost always heavy and he loses the ball in bad areas )

Iain Ramsay ( a big disappointment, no wonder Adelaide let him go )

Aaron Mooy (Looking forward to seeng this kid, week in week out)

So that leaves the following players uncertain for next season: Behich (likely gone) ( Academy award effort last week),

Gerhardt,( was always on the cards that he would be released, hardly started)

Walker, ( should be ahead of the Hoff)

Mitchinson, ( as above )

Vrankovic, ( always touted as being a player for the future, but never gets match time)

Kisnorbo. ( one of our shining lights this season, should be resigned)

Edited by japiedog

I did not like when Garruccio took the corner kicks I think that Ramsay has better delivery for the set piece. I felt that Ramsay lifted when JVS took over but in the last four weeks he has deflated a lot. As I said in another thread, in the off season the players better get back to basics and learn to control the ball with a softer touch.

• Like 1

i know that guest players are paid outside the cap, but does that mean that are also not included in the 23 man squad?

I've been wondering if guest players count in the 23 man squad, and apparently they don't: 

A-League clubs will also have the opportunity to sign a Guest Player who falls outside the 23-man A-League roster allowance for up to a maximum of 10 matches, which can now include the Finals Series.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/990442/new-aussie-marquee-rule

It's also my understanding that clubs are only allowed 1 guest player per season. So all up it's like having a second international marquee for 10 games (who also doesn't count in the 23 man squad).

If a guest player is signed, it looks like it'll be a NYCFC player, with Davutovic saying last Friday: "There's every chance that one of their [New York City FC's] big name signings ends up coming here to Melbourne Heart on a guest stint for the start of the season."

There's some news on another Man City player going to NYCFC, with Martin Demichelis reportedly being interested in playing in the MLS (http://www.empireofsoccer.com/manchester-demichelis-interested-24726/). Gareth Barry has also been linked with NYCFC multple times.

Maybe that article (here) that said Xavi would join Heart on loan before playing for New York City FC wasn't that fanciful after all... 

I personally believe Gareth Barry would be an excellent signing for Heart.

I just wonder if he still believes he can still do a job in the EPL, just like he is doing with Everton at the moment.

Will be no surprise to me if Xavi is signed by NYCFC, and comes to the Heart on loan.

Will be no surprise to me if Xavi is signed by NYCFC, and comes to the Heart on loan.

That would be amazing for this league and our club. Bigger than signing adp IMO. Let's hope you aren't surprised and it happens.

Edited by Cinnamon
  • Like 1

2013–14 A-League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_A-League

3Injury Replacement Players; 4Guest Players (eligible to play a maximum of ten games) ...

We can have 40 games from guest players, if they spread it out well... We could have them every game.

The "4" next to "guest players" is a footnote, which is why it is in superscript. Also, a part from that Wikipedia article, I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere that clubs can sign 4 guest players.

Whilst the above SBS article (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/990442/new-aussie-marquee-rule) says "A-League clubs will also have the opportunity to sign a guest player who falls outside the 23-man A-League roster". And the CBA between the FFA and PFA says (on page 5, of the article proper) that "during an A-League Season, a Club may have one Guest Player that sits outside the Player Roster" (http://www.pfa.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/_temp_/Variation_of_A-League_CBA_2008_9_-_2012__13_-_Binding_Sheet__August_2011__01.pdf).

Heart shouldn't need that many guest players anyway to make the squad competitive. Just 1 class guest player at the start of the season, and maybe some injury replacement players and/or loan players, should be more than enough players to add to Heart's normal squad, to enable it to compete for silverware next season.

Edited by Murfy1

The idea of guest players makes a mockery of the comp for mine. I wold be happy if the provision for guest players is removed.

Same, stinks of amateur hour really.

If the rule is still there next season though I'd assume we'd use it.

Why is it a "mockery" that "stinks"?

I appreciate that there are differences between the two, including that of being outside the salary and numbers caps, but is it really significantly different from a short-term loan player?

It's an opportunity to bring someone into the league who otherwise would not be there, and if used properly I don't see too much wrong with it. If you're going to abandon all these possibilities you might as well throw out the marquee concept as well. After all, there is absolutely no limit on what you can pay a marquee - if you are rich enough you could even pay Messi.

• Like 1

Agree jw.  I don't see any non-football problems with it. 

Football wise you have to be confident your guest will be there long enough to gell and have an impact.  10 games is enough i reckon.   Let's face it you could raise funds for a statue for Madaschi around here (mainly because we are so desperate for a hero, admittedly) and he only played 9 games. 

Initially wasn't it only 4 games?  Now that is gimmicky and led to Romario type deals, which were all about promoting the league and getting bums on seats, not football.

Agree jw.  I don't see any non-football problems with it. 

Football wise you have to be confident your guest will be there long enough to gell and have an impact.  10 games is enough i reckon.   Let's face it you could raise funds for a statue for Madaschi around here (mainly because we are so desperate for a hero, admittedly) and he only played 9 games. 

Initially wasn't it only 4 games?  Now that is gimmicky and led to Romario type deals, which were all about promoting the league and getting bums on seats, not football.

Yep, it used to be only 4 matches, when Romario and Benito Carbone came to the league.

I agree that a stint of 4 matches on it's own is pretty gimmicky. I think the idea was to test aging star players, with the view to signing them on longer deals.

10 matches is pretty reasonable IMO. That's roughly the equivalent of a half season loan in the A-League, so I'm ok with it. It'll probably become a thing of the past as well as clubs continue to make better use of the marquee spot (and it'll especially become redundant if the A-League introduces a second international marquee spot in place of the Aussie marquee spot, as I think they likely will, because the number of actual marquee Australian players is declining all the time, and clubs want to have at least 2 good international players [e.g., Brisbane with Broich and Berisha]).

Gee I'd strike out a few of those if I could ( my comments )

Melbourne Heart 

Andrew Redmayne ( not at the top of his game)

Tando Velaphi ( was happy to see him given a go, but makes Redders look world class)

Jason Hoffman ( a legend in his lunchtime!, good squad player though)

Rob Wielaert  ( has his moments, of brilliance and despairs)

Jonatan Germano ( now that he is fit, will be a good squad player)

Nick Kalmar  (Even though i like him, he  must have photo's of JVS in a compromised situation)

David Williams ( scored 12 but missed about 40)

Mate Dugandzic  ( coming back from serious injury, plus heavily strapped knee, lets hope that he fires on all cylinders, up and down season)

Stefan Mauk  ( showed what he can do in the last match, good for the future)

Ben Garuccio ( please play him up the park, he aint a full back)

Massimo Murdocca ( i love Mass for his workrate and never say die attitude, but his first touch is almost always heavy and he loses the ball in bad areas )

Iain Ramsay ( a big disappointment, no wonder Adelaide let him go )

Aaron Mooy (Looking forward to seeng this kid, week in week out)

So that leaves the following players uncertain for next season: Behich (likely gone) ( Academy award effort last week),

Gerhardt,( was always on the cards that he would be released, hardly started)

Walker, ( should be ahead of the Hoff)

Mitchinson, ( as above )

Vrankovic, ( always touted as being a player for the future, but never gets match time)

Kisnorbo. ( one of our shining lights this season, should be resigned)

I look at that list and read you comments and agree with most of them. There's not many there that have a "Wow! - really pleased we have him on our books" factor.

I see next season as the first in a re-shaping of the way our club goes about its business, and I can see quite a few changes taking place in the following off-season. I'd say we won't really see us hitting our straps until season 2, and possibly even season 3 of the new regime.

We may be looking at evolution rather than revolution.

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart FC has today announced central defender Patrick Kisnorbo has signed a new deal with the Club.

Kisnorbo, 33, has been an important feature in Melbourne Heart’s defence during the Hyundai A-League 2013-14 season and has extended his term at the Club with a one-year deal.

The robust centre back has demonstrated his reliability against some of the league’s most dangerous strikers while also providing an attacking threat from set-pieces, scoring two goals this season.

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John van’t Schip said Kisnorbo would be a valuable member of the squad next season.

“Patrick has improved further in his role as centre back and is a true leader at this Club,” van’t Schip said.

“Patrick is experienced, relishes a challenge and while he loves defending, he also brings an added aerial threat from free-kicks and corners.”

Kisnorbo, who is originally from Melbourne but has played much of his career in England, said he was excited to be a part of the Club next season in the city in which he grew up.

“Melbourne and this Club is now home for me and I am delighted to remain here next season,” Kisnorbo said.

“There is a burning desire for us to perform next season and I want to help this Club achieve success.”

Kisnorbo joins David Williams, Tando Velaphi and Jason Hoffman as recent players who have re-signed for the Club.

Patrick Kisnorbo

Pronunciation : Pa-trik KISS-Nor-bo

DOB : 24 March 1881 (age 33)

Place of birth : Melbourne, Australia

Position : Central Defender

Current contract details : One-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season)

Appearances (Melbourne Heart FC): 20 appearances, 2 goals

Kisnorbo resigned on a one year deal

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-ReSigns-Patrick-Kisnorbo/89561

I'll bet he's the first 133-year-old to play professional football...

I think quite a good re-signing, and much, much better than those made previously. I'd say could well be captain next season, and he could give us several more years.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Kisnorbo resigned on a one year deal

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-ReSigns-Patrick-Kisnorbo/89561

I'll bet he's the first 133-year-old to play professional football...

I think quite a good re-signing, and much, much better than those made previously. I'd say could well be captain next season, and he could give us several more years.

you know what, tons of experience!

Thought it was 14 now...? Plus doesn't SM and BG count as youth players, who are two of the 3 we can have out of the 23man squad?

Melbourne Heart 

Andrew Redmayne 

Tando Velaphi 

Jason Hoffman 

Rob Wielaert 

Jonatan Germano 

Nick Kalmar  

David Williams 

Mate Dugandzic  

Stefan Mauk 

Ben Garuccio 

Massimo Murdocca 

Iain Ramsay 

Aaron Mooy 

Apologies. Patrick Kisnorbo is number 14. You are also correct with Mauk and Garuccio. Remember that we must have 3 youth players in the 23, and then we can sign 3 more under the "23+3" rule.

14 or 15 I would still like to see a halt until there have been face-to-face discussions in Manchester. IMO there are a number of passengers in the 14, and too many more of the present squad will affect our chances of performing better next season.

Thought it was 14 now...? Plus doesn't SM and BG count as youth players, who are two of the 3 we can have out of the 23man squad?

Melbourne Heart 

Andrew Redmayne 

Tando Velaphi 

Jason Hoffman 

Rob Wielaert 

Jonatan Germano 

Nick Kalmar  

David Williams 

Mate Dugandzic  

Stefan Mauk 

Ben Garuccio 

Massimo Murdocca 

Iain Ramsay 

Aaron Mooy 

Apologies. Patrick Kisnorbo is number 14. You are also correct with Mauk and Garuccio. Remember that we must have 3 youth players in the 23, and then we can sign 3 more under the "23+3" rule.

14 or 15 I would still like to see a halt until there have been face-to-face discussions in Manchester. IMO there are a number of passengers in the 14, and too many more of the present squad will affect our chances of performing better next season.

I wouldn't stress too much. 9 new players, plus Mooy, is a lot of new blood. 

On that note, I feel like the turnover of players each season has been ridiculous. I hope these re-signings bring some stability to our squad, something I don't think we've ever had.

Feels like every off-season we're bringing in half a side, only to gain the same results. 

Melbourne Heart 

Andrew Redmayne 

Tando Velaphi 

Jason Hoffman 

Rob Wielaert 

Jonatan Germano 

Nick Kalmar  

David Williams 

Mate Dugandzic  

Stefan Mauk 

Ben Garuccio 

Massimo Murdocca 

Iain Ramsay 

Aaron Mooy 

Yep, it looks like 14 players are signed for next season. The only remaining player that the club looks interested in re-signing is Engelaar, and that seems unlikely.

Pretty sure you're spot on with Mauk and Garuccio as well (and I think Vrankovic was this season's 3rd under 20 player). They seem to be in the 23, so we have 14 players for now, and the club could possibly sign Retre, Dao and Schroen (for example) to the senior squad but outside of the 23-man roster.

I'm pretty sure that the re-signings are now done (assuming Engelaar isn't re-signed under the cap), and IMO 9 spots, especially with the marquee spots free, multiple VISA spots, options for loans and a guest player, is enough scope to massively strengthen the team for next season. For example, is it conceivable that Heart could only play Mooy and Dugandzic out of the current 14 as starters, and then sign 9 new other starters are well. So together with Mooy, Heart could get 10 new starters. Now that's probably unlikely, but I can easily see several players good enough to start being signed, and at minimum it's very likely that at least 5 new regular starters will be signed, and half a new starting XI could give Heart a radically new team.

The only way the team wouldn't be substantially strengthened was if Heart signed a few duds, and hence wasted a few spots. But I expected the club and Man City to set a new standard for A-League recruitment, with Brian Marwood saying a few days ago:

"We have done a lot of work behind the scenes with our scouting and recruiting department identifying a long list of players that we believe could be suitable for Melbourne. What we have to do is shorten that to a list that fits the profile of what we believe John wants for the team, within the limits of the salary cap.

"We want to get the right type of players. We went through that here in Manchester [albeit at a vastly different level], when the evolution of the team was quite rapid. We feel that it's important to get players who are not only talented but have a connection with the club, the fans and where the club wants to go.

"We need people who want to buy in to the vision of what we are creating. It's not just on-field, it's off-field as well.

And

Both John van’t Schip and John Didulica are coming here when the A-League season ends to understand how we work, the philosophy and culture of the club and during that time there will be a number of conversations happening about next season in terms of further squad strengthening," Marwood says.

"When we start the season next year, we need to be hitting the ground running. We have to have greater ambitions than where we currently sit. It's not fine to be second bottom.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/no-bigname-influx-from-city-planned-as-heart-looks-to-rebuild-20140404-zqqf9.html

So whilst I might cast some doubt on some of Man City's decision-making (really only with respect to the identity/brand of Heart), I expect them to make full use of these 9 spots, and believe they will massively strengthen the team with those 9 spots for new signings.

"We have done a lot of work behind the scenes with our scouting and recruiting department identifying a long list of players that we believe could be suitable for Melbourne.

We feel that it's important to get players who are not only talented but have a connection with the club, the fans and where the club wants to go.

"We need people who want to buy in to the vision of what we are creating. It's not just on-field, it's off-field as well.

"When we start the season next year, we need to be hitting the ground running. We have to have greater ambitions than where we currently sit. It's not fine to be second bottom.

Love what Marwood is saying.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

id also suspect those 6 weeks in manchester for preseason will do the world of good for the current players aswell. You would think due to the closeness of the a-league that say a 10% increase in ability of some players could make a big difference to the team even without new recruits. . Hopefully they have lots of practice games against very high quality opposition. 

Edited by Dylan

Agree that Marwood is saying all the right things when it comes to recruitment.

Also agree that a pre-season in Manchester, and simply just the improved training facilities and association with Man City FC, is likely to do many Heart players a lot of good, and a 10% improvement (at least) in numerous Heart players is very imaginable.

Here's an interesting tweet from JVS earlier today. Unfortunately though it was originally in Dutch:

@sanderjonkman ben over week in @MCFC . Ga daar 2 weken heen. #scouten #kennismaken vanaf mei in #Nederland Met jou alles goed?

A rough translation (from Google Translate):

@ sanderjonkman am on week @ MCFC. Go there 2 weeks back. scouting meet from May in the Netherlands With you all right?

It sounds like JVS could be in Manchester in as soon as 2 weeks. It also sounds like JVS and Heart might be doing some scouting in the Netherlands.

It looks like things are starting to move very quickly for next season.

Edited by Murfy1

It does sound as if you will be a lot stronger than this season when all players are signed.

Also agree with those that say that pre-season training should improve the skills of a few players already in the squad.

As I have previously said I would love to see Jordy Hiwula at Melbourne. He needs to work in a few aspects of his game, but he is a natural goalscorer who could really light up the A League

• Like 1

It does sound as if you will be a lot stronger than this season when all players are signed.

Also agree with those that say that pre-season training should improve the skills of a few players already in the squad.

As I have previously said I would love to see Jordy Hiwula at Melbourne. He needs to work in a few aspects of his game, but he is a natural goalscorer who could really light up the A League

For those who haven't seen it...

http://www.mcfc.com/Elite-Development-Squad/Forwards/Jordy-Hiwula

and you can browse through the other players in the City EDS with a few clicks.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic