Melbourne Football

Player Contracts - 2018-19

forbze

Seriously Hoffman has been tried as a Forward, Central Midfielder and a Full Back and he has not been able to cement a spot in any of these positions.

When we were a League Cellar Dweller I know his fans claimed he was a passable Full Back but now that we have at least progressed back to being a Lower Mid Table Club he is clearly not up to standard as a Fullback for where we are trying to go.

I think it really is time the club try move him on... as much as it might hurt a few fans feelings.

Did anyone see the news that Omar Abdulraman (Oman-David Luiz lookalike) signed for Richmond SC, the NPL club on a ten game Loan.

Apparently so he can play in the A-League?  Who knows…maybe a secret City signing?

hope he doesn't go to Victory...

A 10 game stint could suggest that we might be looking at trailing him in our NPL side later on in the NPL Season.

Also Williams has to be on the way out so that is going to release some sort of money plus Duga could be going as well so this does leaves open spots for another Winger/Forward on the list.

Unless Hoffman is injured I dare say that he is being frozen out of the club, and as you stated he is not up to the standard of a club in the middle of the pack and should be moved on. Pity he got a two year extension at the end of last season.

Duga is in his final year of his contract and based on this season' performance the club should not renew his contract - I rather have Novillo instead and a youth player as a back up. Ditto Ramsay.

Williams like Hoffman has another season left on his contract, and unlike Duga and Hoffman, he has proved more useful. And since the Asian Cup, Ramsay has proved more useful than Duga or Hoffman.

I just hope that the list management staff are having a good look at what is available in Oz for the non-visa spots and hopefully unearth more players like Melling and Chapman.

Seriously Hoffman has been tried as a Forward, Central Midfielder and a Full Back and he has not been able to cement a spot in any of these positions.

When we were a League Cellar Dweller I know his fans claimed he was a passable Full Back but now that we have at least progressed back to being a Lower Mid Table Club he is clearly not up to standard as a Fullback for where we are trying to go.

I think it really is time the club try move him on... as much as it might hurt a few fans feelings.

Did anyone see the news that Omar Abdulraman (Oman-David Luiz lookalike) signed for Richmond SC, the NPL club on a ten game Loan.

Apparently so he can play in the A-League?  Who knows…maybe a secret City signing?

hope he doesn't go to Victory...

A 10 game stint could suggest that we might be looking at trailing him in our NPL side later on in the NPL Season.

Also Williams has to be on the way out so that is going to release some sort of money plus Duga could be going as well so this does leaves open spots for another Winger/Forward on the list.

Unless Hoffman is injured I dare say that he is being frozen out of the club, and as you stated he is not up to the standard of a club in the middle of the pack and should be moved on. Pity he got a two year extension at the end of last season.

Duga is in his final year of his contract and based on this season' performance the club should not renew his contract - I rather have Novillo instead and a youth player as a back up. Ditto Ramsay.

Williams like Hoffman has another season left on his contract, and unlike Duga and Hoffman, he has proved more useful. And since the Asian Cup, Ramsay has proved more useful than Duga or Hoffman.

I just hope that the list management staff are having a good look at what is available in Oz for the non-visa spots and hopefully unearth more players like Melling and Chapman.

Despite the year on his contract to run I think that both Williams and the club will probably be looking to part ways at the end of the Season.

I think they will be making it clear to him that they don't see him as a Starter next season and I think Williams himself considering the money he has commanded over his career plus his media presence (He gets picked for things like the A-League Squad) probably thinks he should be a Starter and if he could find a club (Probably a NSW side) who will offer him such a spot he will chose to leave.

I would have liked to have seen what another coach could have gotten out of Mate... I'm starting to think maybe he won't even recover from his injury which is a shame because at his best he was more than capable of commanding an A-League wing but you're probably right about him being moved on alongside with Ramsey.

I was just thinking of who would be most likely to be guaranteed to be staying next season and how we may develop the squad. The list of players I definitely see staying are as follows:

Tando (I expect a 1 year extension)

Redmayne (It is difficult to see us move him on)

Paddy (I think we may offer 1 year to him)

Chapman

Clisby

Safuwan (I expect us to sign him)

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Koren (I would rather not though)

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Novillo (Hopefully we can retain him)

Williams ( Like Redmayne, I can't see us moving him on)

Marino

Brown (I can't see us moving him on)

Garuccio

So that is 18 players. I don't know if Melling and Marino will still be included has NYL players next season.

That list also includes 3 Visa players. So the question is do we resign Germano and Jaliens for a year? 

I would give Germano a contract if he became an Aussie Citizen. Even though I have liked what Jaliens has been showing, I just don't think it's worth the risk in resigning him.

So it seems that we have space for at least 5 players.

I would be looking for 2 full backs, a midfielder and 2 forwards.

The most difficult thing is going to be to find enough quality to bring in under the salary cap.

Edited by silva10

I was just thinking of who would be most likely to be guaranteed to be staying next season and how we may develop the squad. The list of players I definitely see staying are as follows:

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

So that is 18 players. I don't know if Melling and Marino will still be included has NYL players next season.

That list also includes 3 Visa players. So the question is do we resign Germano and Jaliens for a year? 

I would give Germano a contract if he became an Aussie Citizen. Even though I have liked what Jaliens has been showing, I just don't think it's worth the risk in resigning him.

The most difficult thing is going to be to find enough quality to bring in under the salary cap.

Don't forget that Mate Dugandzic,  Iain Ramsay and Wieleart are all out of contracts and none have shown enough to merit another contract. So there will be salary cap room. Duff has already departed and he would have been on some coin. Thus far Novillo has proven he is a worthy replacement for Duff although Novillo could have a better touch and passing but he is a better scorer and threat. However I don't expect Novillo to command as much as Duf did. Jaliens has proven to be a better defender than Wieleart.

For me the toss is between Jaliens and Kisnorbo. Certainly in the first half of the season he was not even squad material. I still don't like his distribution and can be slow. Disappointed that Chapman got himself suspended because a combination of Jaliens/Chapman/Safuwan has enough experience, pace, grunt and mongrel to be quite solid. So for me I think that it is time for Kisnorbo to retire.

As for Hoffman and Redmayne, like you, I would rather move them on. It certainly looks like Hoffman has been frozen out, and perhaps CCM or Jets could use him as a player. As for Williams and Brown, I would rather that they both improve if they can't be moved on. Brown has certainly been a wasted spot due to injury. Williams is just inconsistent although elsewhere I remarked that when Engelaar finally played last season, he was a big beneficiary.

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

Don't forget that Mate Dugandzic,  Iain Ramsay and Wieleart are all out of contracts and none have shown enough to merit another contract. So there will be salary cap room. Duff has already departed and he would have been on some coin. Thus far Novillo has proven he is a worthy replacement for Duff although Novillo could have a better touch and passing but he is a better scorer and threat. However I don't expect Novillo to command as much as Duf did. Jaliens has proven to be a better defender than Wieleart.

For me the toss is between Jaliens and Kisnorbo. Certainly in the first half of the season he was not even squad material. I still don't like his distribution and can be slow. Disappointed that Chapman got himself suspended because a combination of Jaliens/Chapman/Safuwan has enough experience, pace, grunt and mongrel to be quite solid. So for me I think that it is time for Kisnorbo to retire.

As for Hoffman and Redmayne, like you, I would rather move them on. It certainly looks like Hoffman has been frozen out, and perhaps CCM or Jets could use him as a player. As for Williams and Brown, I would rather that they both improve if they can't be moved on. Brown has certainly been a wasted spot due to injury. Williams is just inconsistent although elsewhere I remarked that when Engelaar finally played last season, he was a big beneficiary.

Well I would imagine Wielhart and Duff were on decent money.

However, I think Paartalu will also be on a decent contract.

I do like what Jaliens has offered, but since he takes a Visa spot up, I would rather go with Paddy.

It is question of how you believe the money is well spent. On 2 or 3 quality players. or 5 or 6 average players. I think if we could move on Redmayne, Hoffman, Williams and Brown then that would help.

Edited by silva10

It is question of how you believe the money is well spent. On 2 or 3 quality players. or 5 or 6 average players. I think if we could move on Redmayne, Hoffman, Williams and Brown then that would help.

I very much doubt that we will be able to move any of these four on. 

I very much doubt that we will be able to move any of these four on.

If it was true that Williams wanted to move during January then hopefully he will be happy to move on at the end of the season.

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

A pretty spot on list IMO.

Melling and Marino are on youth contracts, so overall the senior team would have 16 players signed up. So there would be 7 free spots for next season, including 2 Visa spots. If the club keeps up consistently signing useful players, then 7 free spots could be plenty.

If the ownership change didn't happen, I reckon the club would have passively have kept players like Redmayne, Hoffman and Williams with little fuss. However, since the ownership change we've seen the club play hardball with Kalmar, by persuading him to leave the club early despite him having half a season left to run on his contract. That wouldn't have happened earlier in the club's history, and I'm pretty sure that we'll see the club work hard to motivate players without a future at this club (e.g. Redmayne, Hoffman) to move on. So I can see a few such players leaving at the end of the season.

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

Melling and Marino are on youth contracts, so overall the senior team would have 16 players signed up. So there would be 7 free spots for next season, including 2 Visa spots. If the club keeps up consistently signing useful players, then 7 free spots could be plenty.

If the ownership change didn't happen, I reckon the club would have passively have kept players like Redmayne, Hoffman and Williams with little fuss. However, since the ownership change we've seen the club play hardball with Kalmar, by persuading him to leave the club early despite him having half a season left to run on his contract. That wouldn't have happened earlier in the club's history, and I'm pretty sure that we'll see the club work hard to motivate players without a future at this club (e.g. Redmayne, Hoffman) to move on. So I can see a few such players leaving at the end of the season.

Will Melling be offered a Senior contract though Murfy?

Either way as you say there are plenty of spaces to fill without moving on the likes of Williams.

It should be an interesting summer ahead.

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

Either way as you say there are plenty of spaces to fill without moving on the likes of Williams.

Winter for us...

• Like 1

Chapman

Clisby

Hoffman (1 year left)

Mooy

Melling

Paartalu

Mauk

Kennedy

Marino

Garuccio

Winter for us...

Lol I forgot your Winter is in our summer. Although I think your winter will probably be warmer than our summer.

To be technical, Melling is on a 'youth-senior contract'. That is, Melling is on 1 of 3 contracts that senior A-League sides (with 23 players) can use:

Melling will join Melbourne Heart outside of the salary cap as a full-time, base salary contract, one of three additional youth players that A-League clubs are afforded outside of its 23-player squad.

Jacob Melling

DOB: 4 April 1995 (age 19)

Place of birth: Adelaide, Australia

Position: Midfielder

Current contract details: Two-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

Former Clubs: Adelaide United (9 apps), Para Hills (8)

International: Australian U-17 (11 apps)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/heart-sign-talented-trio/27fn67eo4mmo19wjalhscqjex

Also Melling is on the same contract for all of next season. The end result is the signing of Melling was an absolute steal, as not only does Melling not contribute a cent towards the salary cap, but he doesn't even take up 1 of the team's 23 spots either. Some of the advantages of signing quality young players.

Marc Marino is also on one of these contracts, and is also signed up until the end of next season (http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-retre-and-marino-sign-with-melbourne-city-fc/kmflgwex2scq1b5h772cvrtio).

I agree that there should be some very interesting transfer activity in the off-season, especially if the club keeps on signing good and useful players.

Edited by Murfy1

To be technical, Melling is on a 'youth-senior contract'. That is, Melling is on 1 of 3 contracts that senior A-League sides (with 23 players) can use:

Melling will join Melbourne Heart outside of the salary cap as a full-time, base salary contract, one of three additional youth players that A-League clubs are afforded outside of its 23-player squad.

Jacob Melling

Current contract details: Two-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/heart-sign-talented-trio/27fn67eo4mmo19wjalhscqjex

Also Melling is on the same contract for all of next season. The end result is the signing of Melling was an absolute steal, as not only does Melling not contribute a cent towards the salary cap, but he doesn't even take up 1 of the team's 23 spots either. Some of the advantages of signing quality young players.

Marc Marino is also on one of these contracts, and is also signed up until the end of next season (http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-retre-and-marino-sign-with-melbourne-city-fc/kmflgwex2scq1b5h772cvrtio).

I agree that there should be some very interesting transfer activity in the off-season, especially if the club keeps on signing good and useful players.

I know Melling is signed up for next season Murfy. However, do you think it would be sensible to try and extend his deal? if so, would we have to sign him onto a Senior Contract?

Jacob Melling

I know Melling is signed up for next season Murfy. However, do you think it would be sensible to try and extend his deal? if so, would we have to sign him onto a Senior Contract?

Middle of next season, the players coming out of contract, such as Jacob Melling, Connor Chapman and Aaron Mooy, should have their contracts renewed before there's less than 6 months to go on their respective deals (because when there's less than 6 months to go, other clubs can talk to those players).

No need to rush their re-signings though IMO. And there's no need to do anything like move Aaron Mooy onto an Australian marquee contract next season when he could be inside the cap. A-League clubs shouldn't upgrade contracts unless they have to, as they literally can't afford to do so with the cap.

So multiple key players definitely need to be re-signed before the end of next season, as IMO Mooy, Melling, Chapman and the like can form a very good spine for this team for years to come. And those players (assuming they maintain their impressive standards) should get rewarding new contracts that'll make those players want to re-sign. But overall timing is everything with re-signing A-League players, and clubs can't afford to re-sign players too early.

Edited by Murfy1

• 3 weeks later...

Are you guys sure that Hoffman isn't out of contract at the end of this season? Was he one of those re-signed late last season ( and for 2 years)? If so... What the effing eff is wrong with this club!!! Williams, Hoffman and Redmayne all been re- signed in the last 18 months or so. All 3 are park footballers.

Are you guys sure that Hoffman isn't out of contract at the end of this season? Was he one of those re-signed late last season ( and for 2 years)? If so... What the effing eff is wrong with this club!!! Williams, Hoffman and Redmayne all been re- signed in the last 18 months or so. All 3 are park footballers.

Only Williams and Hoffman were re-signed at the end of last season for two additional seasons. Hoffman came to the club on a long term contract which has yet to expire. So Hoffman and Williams' contract expire at the end of season 2015/16 but I am uncertain as to whether Redder's contract finishes at the same time or still has an additional year.

Only Williams and Hoffman were re-signed at the end of last season for two additional seasons. Hoffman came to the club on a long term contract which has yet to expire. So Hoffman and Williams' contract expire at the end of season 2015/16 but I am uncertain as to whether Redder's contract finishes at the same time or still has an additional year.

AFAIK Redmayne has one more season - 2015/16 - to go.

Hoffman and Williams definitely one more season.

Edited by jw1739

if we find other clubs for them, we should be able to push them out. The most successful a-league clubs/coaches have been able to do this with deadwood or unwanted players in their squads who have a season+ remaining on their contracts (MV with Flores/allsopp/Bru/Vargas etc.., and Brisbane when Ange first cleaned them out)

There are definitely ways to move players on from the club without affecting the salary cap, we just need the right people to do it. 

Edited by heart_fan10

if we find other clubs for them, we should be able to push them out. The most successful a-league clubs/coaches have been able to do this with deadwood or unwanted players in their squads who have a season+ remaining on their contracts (MV with Flores/allsopp/Bru/Vargas etc.., and Brisbane when Ange first cleaned them out)

There are definitely ways to move players on from the club without affecting the salary cap, we just need the right people to do it. 

Since you mention MV, Brisbane and AP it might just be that it was done by flouting the salary cap...

Since you mention MV, Brisbane and AP it might just be that it was done by flouting the salary cap...

From what I've heard the player who is no longer wanted is told by the coach that he is not seen in the future plans of the club and is free to find another club. If the player refuses to do so, they are put to train by themselves and alienated from the main group of players until they finally decide to find a club. Ruthless but it gets the job done

I reckon Hoffman just be told he's going. Not even a mention of him in the match day squad for the game this weekend. I was thinking- if we have space under the cap remaining this year ( assuming we do as would've needed extra $$ for Franjic on loan) then we could use that money now to pay out the contracts for next year of Hoff, Redders, maybe Willo... Too good to be true?

• 2 weeks later...

Updated list of those out of contract:
Damien Duff
Jonathan Germano
Massimo Murdocca
Iain Ramsay
Tando Velaphi
Rob Wielaert

Paulo Retre

Harry Novillo

Kew Jaliens

Mate Dugandžić

IMO we should only give contracts to Germano, Velaphi, Retre and Novillo. Then we should pay out Korens contrac and sign a proper international marquee. Also try to sell Hoffman, Williams and Redmayne if possible. Would leave us with a fair bit of salary cap space, and 3 visa spots available (including marquee)

• Like 3

Updated list of those out of contract:

Damien Duff

Jonathan Germano

Massimo Murdocca

Iain Ramsay

Tando Velaphi

Rob Wielaert

Paulo Retre

Harry Novillo

Kew Jaliens

Mate Dugandžić

IMO we should only give contracts to Germano, Velaphi, Retre and Novillo. Then we should pay out Korens contrac and sign a proper international marquee. Also try to sell Hoffman, Williams and Redmayne if possible. Would leave us with a fair bit of salary cap space, and 3 visa spots available (including marquee)

Agree with the players to keep. Novillo should be a priority. Piss the rest off.

Sell Hoffman? Sell Redmayne? I don't think we could sell those 2...of anything it would cost us money to pay out. Both served the club but time is up. All the best. Williams I'm not sure about.

Dugandzic has been a disappointment. Ramsey same. Massimo has tried hard but I think his days are over also. Kudos to Duffy who gave it his all.

Edited by charlibub

Would people be keen on keeping duff if he was willing to stick around for another season? Him and Novillo running down the wings shiet what a combo

It's 2 seasons in a row that Duff has has an injury that finished his season very early. So it's simply far too risky to re-sign a player with his age and injury record.

I'm hoping though that CFG can find a winger of exactly the same mold as Duff, who "gets chalk on his boots" , can get past defenders  and can provide excellent service for our strikers/goal-scorers.

• Like 1

Melbourne City FC can today confirm it has released five players following the conclusion of the Club's Hyundai A-League 2014/15 campaign.

Damien Duff, Rob Wielaert, Iain Ramsay and Mate Dugandzic will not be remaining with Melbourne City FC for the upcoming season.

Kew Jaliens, who joined the Club mid-season on a short-term injury replacement contract, has also been released. 

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo has agreed a one-year extension with the Club and will return for the 2015/16 season.

National Youth League product Paulo Retre, 22, has also secured a one-year extension to his existing contract.

The Club would like to thank all outgoing players for their contribution and professionalism during their time at Melbourne City FC, in what has been a historic period for the Club, and wishes them all the best in their future endeavours.

Melbourne City FC will not be providing any comment on contract negotiations that remain ongoing.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/test/19k672zvafbmn150lj8p6y6o1s#UJDpqrK8SpLfyqzM.99

^^ Thats about what we expected.

Sad to see Mate go but at the end of the day, he just hasn't taken the next step.

Duff has already stated he won't stick around.

Yep,. hes going, so that should free up some significant salary cap space alone :)

Edited by Heart_fan

• jw1739 unpinned this topic