Melbourne Football

Goodwin - The Pain That Keeps Hurting

Sash

It's not just money, he's definitely number 2 left back at Heart unless the new coach wants to play him on the wing. I hope that he stays. It's going to be a regular problem for us with our youth player development, or at least I hope that it does become a regular problem!

Edited by belaguttman

Should be first team next season at LB with behich on LW or going overseas.

At the end of the day, we gave the kid a chance, a little loyalty would be nice. He has a lot more money to make over the course of his career, so he shouldnt be drawn by a few thousand more. Having said that, money talks, and he might feel more loyal to Pappas.

Edited by Tesla

Why is he the number two? His output and performances deserved him to retain his place. Behich can be played further up field. To me that made sense from the beginning of the Olyroos returning.

If we lose Goodwin, it would be a disaster. He was a breath of fresh air, showed creativity and adventure. He was very good at defending, but provided an outlet on the attack.

Scott's comments on not being involved in a bidding war, is fair enough to a point, but there should be more desire shown to retain him. The Jet's are showing him plenty of love, while we are being non plussed.

We can't lose talent like Goodwin from the club. We do not recruit high profle players, we make our name in developing youngsters. Losing one of our brightest would be shockingly bad.

agree with most comments here. Goodwin doesn't have to be number 2, it would be a perfect opportunity to push behich up forward

surely he wouldn't want to give up playing in the best stadium in the country and playing in the melbourne derby to go play in that shit stadium

Hindmarsh is better than AAMi fwiw, so its not the best stadium.

JVS brought him on to replace Thompson against Wellington, he played pretty well in an attacking midfield role, already showing his versatility, don't think he needs to compete with Behich directly, but needs a bit more growth to cement a place somewhere.

Newcastle wont play him anymore then we will, potentially less, so as Tesla said, hopefully he will show some loyalty to the club rather the bills and we will continue to watch this future superstar grow and grow!

Goodwin is magic at Heart... We need to keep an uprising player like that... those couple of matches he played really impressed me and for a player that overtook Behich's role when on international duties... id say Goodwin is a champ! Heart should organise for more $$

Thing is, every palyer leaves for cash.... we lost 3players because of it, so why wouldnt it happen to a youngen? Hope the board do what they can to sign him for atleast a 3year deal.

2 things to come out of this.

1. Papas will not be part of the MHFC managers panel next season.

2. Goodwin is a freak!

Fuck I hope he stays! Who the fuck would wan't to live in Newcastle, seriously, the place is so shit and depresing. (Sorry Alo and KSK)

Genuinely interested in which 3 players left us for money..?

I think he means Beauchamp, Heffernan and Madaschi. First to where free to go because the club didn't want to pay so much for bit players, and we never really had Madaschi.

Edited by LR9

TBH I reckon Goodwin is going to be a much better player than Aziz.

He is already has indicated his going to be better at defending, with his greater height and his not a slow player my any definition of the word. His greatest talent appears to be the positions he places himself in when going up forward, from which his crossing and shooting is beyond a class above Aziz’s as well.

I think he has the ability to play in any number of positions.

For that reason if he leaves I think he would be a greater loss in the long term and I will be shattered.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Why is he the number two? His output and performances deserved him to retain his place. Behich can be played further up field. To me that made sense from the beginning of the Olyroos returning.

If we lose Goodwin, it would be a disaster. He was a breath of fresh air, showed creativity and adventure. He was very good at defending, but provided an outlet on the attack.

Scott's comments on not being involved in a bidding war, is fair enough to a point, but there should be more desire shown to retain him. The Jet's are showing him plenty of love, while we are being non plussed.

We can't lose talent like Goodwin from the club. We do not recruit high profle players, we make our name in developing youngsters. Losing one of our brightest would be shockingly bad.

Whether he should be or not, he is. As soon as Aziz returned from Olyroos duty he slotted back into left back. The question of whether we need Goodwin or not depends on who the next coach is and what their plans are. If he's required then we offer him more money, if there are other youth players who can step up, we let him go.

Whether he should be or not, he is. As soon as Aziz returned from Olyroos duty he slotted back into left back. The question of whether we need Goodwin or not depends on who the next coach is and what their plans are. If he's required then we offer him more money, if there are other youth players who can step up, we let him go.

He will be offered a base senior contract at the least regardless: He can take Kamal's IMO, whose on his way out.

Seriously if we lose this kid when we are paying Senior Contract money for Hoff for another season, and good Senior Contract money for Williams for a further two seasons I would be really annoyed.

The club should shop Williams around to anyone prepared to pay his contract, any other A League club or Indonesia: Then Goodwin would stay without a doubt.

In all honesty Goodwin receiving a Senior contract with a bit cash being attached to it and another player from the NYL side like Zac Walker (Amongst others) with a base contract would get more results than Hoff’s presence on the senior list next season.

Edited by cadete

good to see we have decent youth players coming through, that can compete for senior spots in the team.

this kid has a cracking shot, is a solid defender for a fullback, has pace and potency when attacking, is young and versitile, whats not too like.

newcastle have already given their intentions away this year, after signing brown from gold coast and now going after goodwin....

I think it is true what #Sash and #Tesla say about Pappas. Heart have underestimated Pappas's pull on some of the young lads. Pappas was responsible for scouting Goodwin away from the shit leagues in Adelaide to Melbourne via Oakleigh and then Heart. I don't think the money will play a part in Goodwin's decision, it will be his loyalty to Pappas and the fact that Pappas was the one who gave him the chance at a better level and helped develop his game into the player he is today. Would love him to stay though. Very versitile player.

I was expecting someone to come in for him. No way would he be in limbo land for next year, so we had to make a decent offer or lose the kid.

Certainly we have worse players on the books than Goodwin. I would be keen to keep him with 3 options for him to play - left wing, left back or right back. Am not convinced that, fine players though they are, that either Behich or Marrone are better than this guy (but he would have to fight for those back spots).