Melbourne Football

Goodwin - The Pain That Keeps Hurting

Sash

"we"?

I think Papas probably had a lot to do with that.

we still agreed to sign him.

Roff.

Life lesson : Probs not the greatest option to comment on something, when you know fuck all...

EDIT: So, if McDonalds came to you offering you $7.50p/h, you tell me you would stay at your current job at KFC earning $4.50p/h coz your 'loyal'?

its much harder obviously to become a professional footballer then it is to get a job at MaDonalds.

ie. if i got signed by a club (lets call them Melbourne Heart) on a youth contract, and was very lucky to get this chance, i would not spend a season there and move to a rival club in the A-League (lets call them Newcastle Jets) for marginally more money.

but that's just me.

we still agreed to sign him.

its much harder obviously to become a professional footballer then it is to get a job at MaDonalds.

ie. if i got signed by a club (lets call them Melbourne Heart) on a youth contract, and was very lucky to get this chance, i would not spend a season there and move to a rival club in the A-League (lets call them Newcastle Jets) for marginally more money.

but that's just me.

Let's say that the boss that gave you your chance at VPL level and then recruited you to the A-League moved to another team and then offered you a contract to join him? Changes the perspective of "Heart gave him his chance"

nicotera5 - By moving to Newy, he is showing more loyalty (and smarts), than if he were to stay with us.

Well I guess you win then.

I don't know about smarts, it's likely that behich will play on the wing next year and Goodwin will start regularly - if not all the time.

Just saying that I know what I would do in his position.

You guys are completely underestimating the loyalty players develop to a certain coach.

You are completeley right @Duchess. Papas gave the lad his break from the shit leagues of South Australia and he has proved himself worthy. He has to take the next step to regular first team football. I just hope it is with Heart. I guess the next couple of weeks will tell.

nicotera5 - By moving to Newy, he is showing more loyalty (and smarts), than if he were to stay with us.

He left the club - and you are still giving him your support??? :unsure:

Ghod, is there anything MH related than our supporters do not entirely endorse.

• Like 1

He hasn't left yet.

No - He has not yet.

However, you are already justifying his decision if he does chose to leave.

Who cares if his being loyal to a coach if he leaves our club?

In fact a page back you give nicotera5 supporter a whack for questioning Goodwin’s loyalty if he does leave.

What is wrong with that?

I support my club, not its individual players.

• Like 1

He left the club - and you are still giving him your support??? :unsure:

Ghod, is there anything MH related than our supporters do not entirely endorse.

The way i see it, its the same thing as if Fred or Dugandzic went back to Mong FC because they developed close relationships with coaches/staff/players while there.

Couldnt care less about them anymore. :mellow:

however, if they move overseas then i am very happy for them, expecially if they are young and we get a transfer fee which is an added bonus!

but that's just me.

If you were signed by Perth on a one year contract in their youth team, and after paying well all year with few starting opportunities Melbourne Heart offered you a higher wage and a first-team position, would you take it?

If you were signed by Perth on a one year contract in their youth team, and after paying well all year with few starting opportunities Melbourne Heart offered you a higher wage and a first-team position, would you take it?

What have Perth offered him? Gotta weigh up all angles.

TBH, don't really understand what all the fuss is about. AFAIK Goodwin is already 20, he 's apparently been offered a contract with Newcastle that pays more than Heart have offered him, and it looks as though he will take up the offer. Professional football is a pretty risky occupation, you can go from rooster to roast chicken in a moment, so why not take up the offer?

I saw Craig in the home NYL matches that he played. Yes, he's OK, but he's no world-beater, and I saw a number of players from other clubs who I would rate more highly than him (just my opinion of course). In the Heart squad I would rate Jeremy Walker as a much more likely prospect.

AFAIK Craig's not a Melbourne boy, so there's not much (if anything) to hold him here. If he really does leave us for Newcastle, don't lose any sleep about it.

Edited by jw1739

Tbh I think playing in Melbourne would give him more exposure to play in Europe than him playing better at newcastle. Him playing awesome in the derby gave him more exposure than any Newcastle game he will ever play in.

Completely irrelevant.

If you have the talent and the attitude is the main criteria in getting a contract overseas. It's not a problem of exposure. Newcastle have a high reputation of producing decent youth and shipping them off to Europe, both Novocastrian and non-Novocastrian. James Holland, Labinot Haliti, Nicky Carle, Song all made moves to Europe via Newcastle.

More importantly. Newcastle at least play a good brand of football, although it's still a work in progress, The style of play will suit Goodwin and it should get the best out of him.

Disappointed in losing him, but at least he is making from what I can gather, a good move for him both financially and as a footballer

Good luck to him and farewell.

Doubt it.

as a young player then, heart would've overlooked me.

why would i leave a club that put faith in me (Perth)?

Doubt it.

as a young player then, heart would've overlooked me.

why would i leave a club that put faith in me (Perth)?

The thing is though it was Pappas he had faith in Goodwin and it is Pappas who has once again come calling for Goodwin. It isn't like he is being disloyal to Heart he is just going with the person who has given him all his chances in football. FWIW will be a loss would like to hold on to him.

The thing is though it was Pappas he had faith in Goodwin and it is Pappas who has once again come calling for Goodwin. It isn't like he is being disloyal to Heart he is just going with the person who has given him all his chances in football. FWIW will be a loss would like to hold on to him.

yep, i understand that...

i now know that it would be the best thing in Goodwin's interest to move.

However, in no way do i support, acknowledge or praise his choice (only if he leaves of course) and could not not care less for his future anymore...

A footballers window of oppotunity can change in a heart beat. If Aziz did not go to the Olyroos, then Goodwin may not have even seen 1st team football this year. The window opened and he took it. But at the moment he aint going displace Aziz from his spot whilst Aziz is playing the way he is, even though I see Goodwin playing a role on left wing, which he has played 99% of his career. If Aziz was leaving I reckon Goodwin would have signed with us by now. So I guess the next window opens and he probably will take it with Newcastle. Who knows, if Papas was not at Newcastle he may have taken the Heart or Sydney option. Really a footballers playing life is only about 14 years at the top level. So he has to earn as much as he can whilst he can.

It pisses me off that Heart cannot get any money for him, yet gave him his start in the A-League. Good luck to the lad he seems like a decent kid.