Melbourne Football

ACL Matchday 4 | Buriram United VS Melbourne City | Wednesday 8 November 8PM AEST KO |

IssySG

49 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yep. As only Ventforet could catch us for top spot but they would have to beat us and win their other games. 

So yes a win guarantees at least second!

As I understand it, second does not guarantee a place in the next round. Group winners go though to the Round of 16, and than it's the best three of the runners-up. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_AFC_Champions_League

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

As I understand it, second does not guarantee a place in the next round. Group winners go though to the Round of 16, and than it's the best three of the runners-up. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_AFC_Champions_League

Not this shit again? Thought we weren't having this as the last ACL there were teams missing due to covid issues?

25 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Not this shit again? Thought we weren't having this as the last ACL there were teams missing due to covid issues?

I'm relying on the Wikipedia article. There are three runners-up from both West and East who will progress. On the current second-place standings there are three teams in the Eastern Region on 6 points - Incheon, Jeonbuk and Ulsan. Of course there are three matches to go in each Group, so a lot can change, but we missed out on this last season and could do so again. No question I think we need to win at least one more to be sure. We're not in the hardest Group so it's really up to us.

It's too easy to look at just our Group after each matchday; in fact we have to watch all the Eastern Region Groups to see where we stand if and when we lose top spot in our Group.

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

that wasn't the reason, this has always been a rule since they made the competition 40 teams.

Last year points against the 4th placed team in the group didn't count cause a Chinese team dropped out so there was a group with 3 teams

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

that wasn't the reason, this has always been a rule since they made the competition 40 teams.

Last year points against the 4th placed team in the group didn't count cause a Chinese team dropped out so there was a group with 3 teams

Ah right I see, thought it was too do with being uneven teams last season. 40 team comp is a bit ridiculous in all honesty. Bump 8 down to the ACL 2 for next season as that comp is weak and needs some better teams competing...

19 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ah right I see, thought it was too do with being uneven teams last season. 40 team comp is a bit ridiculous in all honesty. Bump 8 down to the ACL 2 for next season as that comp is weak and needs some better teams competing...

I'm not sure about that myself. It's the largest of all the Confederations and has 47 members countries/territories.

51 minutes ago, citypool said:

Does our usual membership lanyard get us into the game? 

I don't believe so, no. However the club should have emailed you with a code for free tickets. I got one yesterday.

Edited by IssySG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, citypool said:

Does our usual membership lanyard get us into the game? 

@citypool Definitely "no." As @IssySG says, there should have been a code emailed to you so that you can redeem a free ticket. The code is your membership number. Your membership number is shown on the back of your membership card as "Member ID" so even if you didn't get the email you can redeem your ticket using that number.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Absolutely pouring down in the city. I reckon we'll be lucky to get 3k there. Still looking forward to some Vidmar ball all the same. Up the City.

I'll be there no matter if I have to tread water in my seat! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just received another ticket from Ticketek - same details but different design etc. I'll put both in my pocket to be safe! Weather forecast improving every hour as well.

Yeah, that lasted well didn't it! Bucketing down here in Moorabbin, lightning, hailstones. Still, gotta be there for Champions League football!!