Melbourne Football

Aus cup round of 16 City vs Wellington Sunday 27th kick-off 2pm

MHFC-FAN

On 20/08/2023 at 11:54 AM, MHFC-FAN said:

Swear this draw is rigged getting these guys for a 3rd straight season. Obviously been our bogie team in the cup eliminating us the past 2 years...

A win is a non negotiable.

Of course it's rigged. We're the nearest club to Wellington so FA save on airfares for Phoenix...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, citypool said:

Has anyone managed to get someone who followed the wwc to an match? 

I don't know anyone who followed the WWC. A mate and I went to the Morocco-Germany match, but we left at 4-0 once the wave started (a sure sign of total boredom) to catch an early train home before the rush.

Perhaps it's the nature of Australian media, or media everywhere?, but there's a fine line between extensive coverage and over-saturation, and when the latter occurs people simply don't hear it anymore or turn off completely. A bit like the TV in the medical waiting room with some sort of nauseous day-time chat show, or 24-hour news, builder's radio etc. Even the AFL has done that to me now - so much coverage and a public holiday that whereas I was once interested in at least the finals I couldn't tell you who won the Premiership last season.

It's not confined to the media, or sport, either. Do you remember HazChem signs and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) in workplaces? It seemed like every gate in Melbourne had a HazChem sign on it (in fact some wag even suggested that the city had been renamed "HazChem") and every chemical on the premises had to have an MSDS and we all had to be trained in their use (even the cleaner had to be trained on how to use Harpic and Ajax)? Well a lot of the signs are still there (although probably no-one knows where the MSDS are kept), but even though you "see" them every day you don't have any consciousness of doing so.

BTW Melbourne is called Naarm now...

Edited by jw1739

36 minutes ago, citypool said:

Has anyone managed to get someone who followed the wwc to an match? 

Agreed. Would be a great way to acknowledge what the girls have done for women's football and football in general to have whoever is available from the Matildas squad do a circuit before the game in an open vehicle.

Pretty much all my crowd from City matches followed the WWC, and one made both the AusEng semi and the final. Was a constant source of conversation in my office and several colleagues also attending matches. I got tickets for one and would have gone to more if I could have got more tickets. And I'm always selling the idea of going to watch City to friends and colleagues. WWC is just one more point of contact.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know anyone who followed the WWC. A mate and I went to the Morocco-Germany match, but we left at 4-0 once the wave started (a sure sign of total boredom) to catch an early train home before the rush.

Perhaps it's the nature of Australian media, or media everywhere?, but there's a fine line between extensive coverage and over-saturation, and when the latter occurs people simply don't hear it anymore or turn off completely. A bit like the TV in the medical waiting room with some sort of nauseous day-time chat show, or 24-hour news, builder's radio etc. Even the AFL has done that to me now - so much coverage and a public holiday that whereas I was once interested in at least the finals I couldn't tell you who won the Premiership last season.

It's not confined to the media, or sport, either. Do you remember HazChem signs and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) in workplaces? It seemed like every gate in Melbourne had a HazChem sign on it (in fact some wag even suggested that the city had been renamed "HazChem") and every chemical on the premises had to have an MSDS and we all had to be trained in their use (even the cleaner had to be trained on how to use Harpic and Ajax)? Well a lot of the signs are still there (although probably no-one knows where the MSDS are kept), but even though you "see" them every day you don't have any consciousness of doing so.

BTW Melbourne is called Naarm now...

I think you're sick of Melbourne in general 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I think you're sick of Melbourne in general 

Quite right. I am. I was transferred here in 1991 from Hobart, and since then the population of metro Melbourne has grown by just over 2 million to the 5.2m that it is today. We are choking ourselves with our ever-expanding suburbs and inability to provide infrastructure to support the expansion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Reckon all the visas so far are looking solid!!

Agree, even Souprayen looks quite good, handy on the ball as well.

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Lovely pass from Antonis to make the second goal. From what we've seen so far he's been a really canny pick up.

Agree again, he's looking really good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moops said:

Such a good chance, Macca did really well there to pinch the ball and cut back

These commentators have less life in them than my socks after a 12 hr shift.

Did everything well except the layoff, outside right bobling ball. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

So I think that was quite good overall, some observations, most of them good.

The midfield duo of Arslan and Sakhi will be very good going forward, but lacked a lot of positional discipline when we were defending, entirely reasonable as Sakhi has only played his first game, Macca has his critiques but the bloke gets through an absolute power of work in terms of stopping simple balls out for defenders and that was lacking from the two midfielders behind him. They were both excellent on the ball and Antonis will provide good cover for when we need to shut games down a bit.

Jakolis and Leckie are going to do absolutely polar opposite things on the wing, with Jakolis spending a lot of time absolutely pinned to the touchline, which will be very different to what our wingers have offered in the past few years.

Leckie + Behich makes me very happy as a left hand side combination, they're going to cause absolute havoc to a lot of teams this year.

Nuno is still not a right back, and Souprayen looked very unsure on the ball - he and Young are going to give us more than one heart attack moment throughout the year.

Ugarkovic is probably as close to a Neill lite as we could have got.

Zane Schreiber has very impressive hair.

40 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He's about as good as we were going to get when trying to replace O'Neil. 

I remember playing WSW a while back and Urgakovic gave us issues with distribution but we also struggled to get the ball off him. Like a lot of midfielders, unrated by many. Perhaps he’s never had the team around him for fully shine.

Knowing what I’ve seen from him in the past I was never really concerned but the O’Neill bar is quite high, not sure if he will go that level.

With O’neill it took ages for some of our fans to realize how influential Aidan was, even in earlier seasons. Another one was McGree, there was people saying how poor he was.

Edited by Mr MO

Not being a particularly noted analyst I had a somewhat different assessment of today's match. I was at the match and the low seating will give a different perspective on the match from that seen on TV. I didn't think Wellington had much to offer at all, certainly less than Oakleigh had, except for height in the box; this I feel is going to trouble us all season both going forward and at the back.

I thought that our defence was a lot sharper than it had been before. Aziz looked as though he'd never left us. Reis seems to be copping some criticism but I don't see why - he seems to have lost a lot of bulk and is paring well with Good. Souprayen looked very assured to me in his first appearance, and Young looked sharp enough to me. The team loses nothing when Hall comes on a substitute too.

The midfield of Ugarkovic/Antonis, Sakhi and Arslan looks good to me; if we were voting I'd give Sakhi three points. JMac was a different man from what he was two weeks ago, and as already mentioned he chased hard and to much better effect than before - one point to him for the two well-taken and deserved goals. On the wings I'm still not sure that we've quite got it all together yet - the crosses aren't effective enough. There's still some woeful shooting too - evidenced in the warm-up drill as well as in the match.

My two points would go to Good for holding the defence together pretty well all match.

The first goal seems to be being credited to Steven Ugarkovic (except on the Football Australia website https://www.australiacup.com.au/match/melbourne-city-fc-v-wellington-phoenix-australia-cup-28-08-2023/22278552) even though it clearly took a deflection from Arslan. I estimate the crowd to be somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 but I will post a figure when I see one.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Not being a particularly noted analyst I had a somewhat different assessment of today's match. I was at the match and the low seating will give a different perspective on the match from that seen on TV. I didn't think Wellington had much to offer at all, certainly less than Oakleigh had, except for height in the box; this I feel is going to trouble us all season both going forward and at the back.

I thought that our defence was a lot sharper than it had been before. Aziz looked as though he'd never left us. Reis seems to be copping some criticism but I don't see why - he seems to have lost a lot of bulk and is paring well with Good. Souprayen looked very assured to me in his first appearance, and Young looked sharp enough to me. The team loses nothing when Hall comes on a substitute too.

The midfield of Ugarkovic/Antonis, Sakhi and Arslan looks good to me; if we were voting I'd give Sakhi three points. JMac was a different man from what he was two weeks ago, and as already mentioned he chased hard and to much better effect than before - one point to him for the two well-taken and deserved goals. On the wings I'm still not sure that we've quite got it all together yet - the crosses aren't effective enough. There's still some woeful shooting too - evidenced in the warm-up drill as well as in the match.

My two points would go to Good for holding the defence together pretty well all match.

The first goal seems to be being credited to Steven Ugarkovic (except on the Football Australia website https://www.australiacup.com.au/match/melbourne-city-fc-v-wellington-phoenix-australia-cup-28-08-2023/22278552) even though it clearly took a deflection from Arslan. I estimate the crowd to be somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 but I will post a figure when I see one.

I watched on TV and I would struggle to disagree with much of that. We were much sharper all over the pitch. None of the rusty doziness from the Oakleigh game. Us much better or Wellington worse? I'd give us a lot of credit TBH. The defence looked way sounder and the midfield is beginning to click. McLaren was simply a different player.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I quite like the ground in Oakleigh for when we can't play at AAMI. Still technically South-East since that's what the clubs been wanting lately, but sooo much easier than going all the way to bloody Cranbourne and actually a nice place to hang out and get a meal and a beer before/after the game. 

Plus the pitch looked decent quality, well at least on TV it did...