Melbourne Football

THAT Wonderwall Song

possiblygeorge

I was watching the match, not at the ground, but on tv, and at some point the Melburnians were signing the Wonderwall song.

I'm not too sure how many of you know that the Wonderwall song has history with Manchester City. Just interested, as i wasn't at the game, why was it sung? We all sit here bang on about not becoming like Manchester City, yet we're doing the complete opposite.  

Asked my mate who went to the game if he sung the Wonderwall song (cringe), him and everyone in the Melburnians sung it. He asked "why wouldn't we sing it". I'm sure we can think of enough reasons why we shouldn't. He mentioned looking up the CFG page where it has our Club crest next to Manchester City, i then told him, that's where the resemblances should stop.

This is a bit of an unintended rant, but what exactly is our identity, and who is creating it? Trying to become seperate from Manchester City but signing a song they're slightly renowned for just doesn't make sense.

47 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Noel Gallagher was at the game so it was a nod to him.

Also it was a Clint Bolton song that never really took off in the Heart days FWIW

The camera cut to him in the crowd while it was being sung too, I assume the commentators mentioned it.

10 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

This is a bit of an unintended rant, but what exactly is our identity, and who is creating it? ...

How on earth can you say it is unintended as you're actually writing it? 

I think you're looking to stir something up, but have really missed the mark on this one. 

Melburnians did a stellar job and are getting better with each game. Awesome atmosphere,  sitting on top of the league after being at the very bottom at this point only two years ago, i think we are all going along quite nicely thank you.

Really, the whole Man City identity thing is something envious opposition supporters cling to now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rass said:

How on earth can you say it is unintended as you're actually writing it? 

I think you're looking to stir something up, but have really missed the mark on this one. 

Melburnians did a stellar job and are getting better with each game. Awesome atmosphere,  sitting on top of the league after being at the very bottom at this point only two years ago, i think we are all going along quite nicely thank you.

Really, the whole Man City identity thing is something envious opposition supporters cling to now.

Exactly, Terrace was brilliant from start to finish last night, as was the crowd participation in general. I'm shocked it wasn't over 10k tbh, looked our biggest crowd of the season to the naked eye.

15k+ easy if we are playing for the title against Adelaide, top deck open. The Melbourne sporting public loves a trophy.

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Exactly, Terrace was brilliant from start to finish last night, as was the crowd participation in general. I'm shocked it wasn't over 10k tbh, looked our biggest crowd of the season to the naked eye.

15k+ easy if we are playing for the title against Adelaide, top deck open. The Melbourne sporting public loves a trophy.

GA was packed the bays to the left and right of the Melburnians looked sparse, I think that's where we lost numbers.

Edited by Deeming

Just now, Deeming said:

GA was packed the bays to the left and right of the Melburnians looked sparse, I think that's where we lost numbers.

Possibly. Can be hard to tell when you're standing in the Southern end. A lot of the Premium C seats would be 3 game memberships probably.

13 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Not only were you not at the game (and complaining about the ground atmosphere in the match thread), but you can't even watch the TV properly where the commentator even explained why the song was being sung.

Dunno how anyone could've missed it. Atmosphere was great last night. We have to play nice though he's a little slow.

26 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well, since it's the Friday night game, we'll be playing for top spot regardless of what happens against Perth.

I mustn't have looked at the scoreboard, so I missed that Noel Gallagher was at the game, but not really fussed about it. It worked pretty well, it was a bit of fun. If Noel Gallagher randomly popped up on the scoreboard of any other A-League team's home game, what would the reaction be if its active area broke out a bit of Wonderwall. Probably that it was a great impromptu reaction and that it added to the atmosphere. Of course, it's a little bit different because of the Manchester City link that some people are still a bit too defensive about (in my opinion), but it's not that much different. Sometimes it's ok to have a laugh.

Generally, I couldn't really care what the active area does, but my hat goes off to the people in there for last night. They were fantastic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hedaik said:

Not only were you not at the game (and complaining about the ground atmosphere in the match thread), but you can't even watch the TV properly where the commentator even explained why the song was being sung. 

16 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Dunno how anyone could've missed it. Atmosphere was great last night. We have to play nice though he's a little slow.

A bit quiet up until the 25th minute mark which was when i made that comment in the match day thread, relax. I'm just trying to tell people what other people have been saying about our "identity" and people in this very forum have been trying to set us a part from Manchester City but we're doing the complete opposite imo.

Had we been terrible, sitting around sixth position we'd all be sitting here picking apart the same things im labelling, but because we're first, deservedly so, everyone's forgotten about the fundamentals that are siding us like Manchester City, the chants, the songs, the walkout songs, Manchester City supporters becoming City supporters based on the connection alone.

We're becoming the things everyone has been complaining about since we found out we were being bought out. I'm just trying to jog peoples memory because all this seems to be forgotten when we're doing well.

2 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

A bit quiet up until the 25th minute mark which was when i made that comment in the match day thread, relax. I'm just trying to tell people what other people have been saying about our "identity" and people in this very forum have been trying to set us a part from Manchester City but we're doing the complete opposite imo.

Had we been terrible, sitting around sixth position we'd all be sitting here picking apart the same things im labelling, but because we're first, deservedly so, everyone's forgotten about the fundamentals that are siding us like Manchester City, the chants, the songs, the walkout songs, Manchester City supporters becoming City supporters based on the connection alone.

We're becoming the things everyone has been complaining about since we found out we were being bought out. I'm just trying to jog peoples memory because all this seems to be forgotten when we're doing well.

Well, that's a bit chicken/egg. I would have thought that Melburnians' decision to spontaneously burst into Wonderwall was largely because it was party time and we were/are top of the league. Would they have done it if Wellington was up 1-0? I seriously doubt it.

On 3/28/2016 at 9:36 AM, bt50 said:

I think you need to get your glasses adjusted!