Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

You don't blame fairweather fans for being fairweather fans?

I don't know about you guys but I could never not buy a membership. Is it wrong to view people who stop attending games as not real fans?

That is, I don't think they deserve to share in our success (when it comes) if they can't stick out the bad times. 

*as a separate note, how privileged of your friends to feel that a semi final and top half finish, our best season ever, isn't up to their standards LOL

1- If you want to 100% commit your life to a 6 year old club that has been bought out and re-branded by an international corporation then fair enough, but fuck I love the self righteous attitude of some of the "real" fans at this club. Personally I bought another membership this season and yes I probably will regardless of what happens, but I can completely see why people dont want to have a bar of this club.

2- If  last years result is up to your standards then you must have hilariously low standards. LOL

• Like 1

I wish people would be honest about last season.

1. Had Perth not been so stupidly transparent with their accounting we would have finished 6th.

2. We were way off the pace of the top five teams.

3. We only just held off Brisbane at the post because they had an outrageously-congested fixture list at the end of their season and could barely field a squad for some matches.

4. We won the elimination final with 1) an own-goal where the ball hit the post and then rebounded off the back of GK's hand into the net; and 2) a shot that deflected off Kennedy's foot because he was so knackered and useless that he couldn't get out of the way.

In reality last season was the same as the previous four - poor.

I wish people would be honest about last season.

1. Had Perth not been so stupidly transparent with their accounting we would have finished 6th.

2. We were way off the pace of the top five teams.

3. We only just held off Brisbane at the post because they had an outrageously-congested fixture list at the end of their season and could barely field a squad for some matches.

4. We won the elimination final with 1) an own-goal where the ball hit the post and then rebounded off the back of GK's hand into the net; and 2) a shot that deflected off Kennedy's foot because he was so knackered and useless that he couldn't get out of the way.

In reality last season was the same as the previous four - poor.

Too far with point 4. We won because we were better than them on the day.

..And there is no way you can say a season where we came last is the same as the next season where we won a final, something we've never done before.

Edited by rass
  • Like 2

I agree.

But 1 and 2 are certainly very true and both things a lot of people dont seem to want to address when they talk about our "best season ever

Tbf tho, how many City supporters do you see that are content with last years result? No one I know of will settle for that, however we took a clear step forward and clearly had our best season yet. Improvement is still to come and everyone expects that, but don’t take away from what was a decent season, particularly after we fell into our win against Brisbane at home in November. Worth noting we haven’t lost at AAMI Park since November last year, and only lost once for the WHOLE season at home. Turning draws into wins is the next step.

People claiming it was our best season to date aren’t doing so as though its some sort of achievement, its to reinforce that they believe in the direction CFG is taking us.

On the points, 1 can be argued the opposite way too, cos if the league second best striker in Keogh hadn’t been signed illegally who knows where they would have finished. And yes I’m aware they had McLaren.

2. Absolutely true. No one shying away from that.

3. Pretty sure we had exactly the same draw as Brisbane over 27 rounds, who we also beat three times throughout the season.

4. Utter dogshit. Kennedy’s goal was 100% legit and we were the better side on the day.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Fuck me. That's the most negative possible way to look at last season.

I'll accept that but I don't resile from my view. I've got 6,000 reasons for wanting to see some real and tangible improvement this season. And I'll go on retaining our memberships, probably because I was weaned on English non-league football and so I'm used to a lack of "success" ...but as others have said, I fully understand why some people have had enough and have dropped out.

This is the first season i have not renewed as a member and this post is a bit of a joke tbh. Me and my old man pay up $800 in total for our memberships, and times that amount by the past 6 seasons (close to 5K) only to be served up with complete and utter shit for the majority is the exact reason why we, and i can guarantee that others have not renewed for that same reason. Hate reading shit like this just because people are not renewing, you're immediately labelled a 'fair weather fan', it's got nothing to do with that, as far as i'm concerned, this club has given me and many others no incentive to renew, same old shit performances with the occasional 9/10 performance, glimpses of hope only to be let down time after time and a manager who should of been given the flick a long time ago. I will support this club, continue to attend every home game and back it to the hills no matter what, but it comes to point where the people in charge need to get there shit together and give all the people who have not renewed, a reason to renew. Cheaper memberships will go a long way considering you're paying an arm and a leg for great seats, only to see shit and boring football majority of the time (JvS *cough* *cough*)... Just feel as if this club still has a lot of work to do to engage with its supporters and give them a product where people are happy to invest their hard earned into.. 

Engage fans? Maybe we should just bring back Ticker.

This is the first season i have not renewed as a member and this post is a bit of a joke tbh. Me and my old man pay up $800 in total for our memberships, and times that amount by the past 6 seasons (close to 5K) only to be served up with complete and utter shit for the majority is the exact reason why we, and i can guarantee that others have not renewed for that same reason. Hate reading shit like this just because people are not renewing, you're immediately labelled a 'fair weather fan', it's got nothing to do with that, as far as i'm concerned, this club has given me and many others no incentive to renew, same old shit performances with the occasional 9/10 performance, glimpses of hope only to be let down time after time and a manager who should of been given the flick a long time ago. I will support this club, continue to attend every home game and back it to the hills no matter what, but it comes to point where the people in charge need to get there shit together and give all the people who have not renewed, a reason to renew. Cheaper memberships will go a long way considering you're paying an arm and a leg for great seats, only to see shit and boring football majority of the time (JvS *cough* *cough*)... Just feel as if this club still has a lot of work to do to engage with its supporters and give them a product where people are happy to invest their hard earned into.. 

You are quite literally saying that you are not renewing because we aren't as successful as you believe we should be. That's the DEFINITION of a fair weather supporter. I'm not sure what your issue is.

If that's how you feel, just embrace the fact that you're a casual fan. You have every right to be, as we have every right to label you as such. 

Edited by morphine
  • Like 5

You are quite literally saying that you are not renewing because we aren't as successful as you believe we should be. That's the DEFINITION of a fair weather supporter. I'm not sure what your issue is.

If that's how you feel, just embrace the fact that you're a casual fan. You have every right to be, as we have every right to label you as such. 

Needs a rival forum 'Fair Weather City'

Lol, no idea.. I respect everyones opinions on this forum, but fuck me.... If success is what i was after, i would have signed up for the scum cunts a loooong time ago. All i want is what i have stated in the final sentence of my "rant". 'A product were people are happy to invest their hard earned into' i.e attractive football, not necessarilly chasing after glory, but the players playing for the badge and giving it fucking 110% week in and out, and for the past 6 years i have barely seen that, hence the decision not to renew cause enough is enough, and to be honest, im not willing to pay $800 a year to see half-arsed, dull and boring football. Despite me saying all of the above and more, and again as i said, i will always support this club through thick and thin but it obviously its come to a point where me and many others are not willing to do so this time round.

• Like 4

I'm not sure what your issue is to be honest.

I would say that after we were bought out and stripped of the small amount of legitimacy we had as a Melbourne club, I am now a casual fan. And I find anyone that is self righteous and "die hard" about supporting something with as much substance as a McDonalds franchise to be laughable. The connection will come for many of us with time I am sure, but for now with everything that has gone on at this club it is not unreasonable for people to be asking why they should bother rocking up at all.

But who gives a shit really? Its not as black and white as that. Right now the main focus should be on why so many people have come to our games over the past six years and never came back. So if you really care about this club as much as you say you do, how about you get off you fucking high horse and try to understand why some people may not be as enthusiastic about handing over fistfuls of cash to have the privileged of witnessing and cheering on a bunch of apathetic footballers meander about for a club owned and run by people who do not even live in the country.

After all. Its the casual fans that will decide the fate of this club.    

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

We're on 7,548. Last year at around this time on 21st October we were 10,009. So we are just under 25% down on last year, despite the 4-match offer.

Whether those who have not renewed were "bandwagoners" or anything else doesn't really matter IMO. That is a very significant drop in numbers that should be ringing bells out there at Latrobe.

I'd like to know how they count the family membership. Previously it was 2 adults + 4 kids  (even if you had less kids) now its 2 adults + 2 kids. 

Do they count these memberships as 1 or 6/4? Depending on how many family memberships there are that could account for a few hundred.

That aside given we were targeting 14000 I can't see CFG being happy. 

I'd like to know how they count the family membership. Previously it was 2 adults + 4 kids  (even if you had less kids) now its 2 adults + 2 kids. 

Do they count these memberships as 1 or 6/4? Depending on how many family memberships there are that could account for a few hundred.

That aside given we were targeting 14000 I can't see CFG being happy. 

I've been asking that since Day 1 and never received an absolutely definitive answer. But I think its 6/4. As has been said before, it's just a pissing contest really; they probably count all categories of memberships, even babies and pets.

Curious to know if those who haven't renewed this season got a call from the membership office asking them whether they'de like to renew? Fair play to them, I've no problem with the call but it strikes me as a bit desparate . I got such a call 2 weeks ago . The club must be under a bit of pressure in this regard , it's not a good look for the CFG.  I've had three memberships since the inaugral Heart season one up to and including the City inaugral season . Anyhow got some free tickets from the club for the CCM game out of the blue this morning so this promotion might just push up the numbers on sunday a bit.

Edited by Swiss Toni
typo

Think you're right jw. Just noticed that the MCFC membership site has the numbers total blanked out. Omen or message?

I rang the club. The official line is that the counter is on international duty, or has a calf muscle problem - they're not too sure which.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5

Curious to know if those who haven't renewed this season got a call from the membership office asking them whether they'de like to renew? Fair play to them, I've no problem with the call but it strikes me as a bit desparate . I got such a call 2 weeks ago . The club must be under a bit of pressure in this regard , it's not a good look for the CFG.  I've had three memberships since the inaugral Heart season one up to and including the City inaugral season . Anyhow got some free tickets from the club for the CCM game out of the blue this morning so this promotion might just push up the numbers on sunday a bit.

I haven't received a call. Seems like a pretty basic thing you'd do to try to boost members

Im not sure i share your attitude Cityscape. Eurosnobs, casual fans, newcomers, etc are exactly the people we need to attract to grow this club. Where else are the new members going to come from?

Basically without the 2.5k "eurosnobs" we have failed to attract any new members what so ever. 

*sorry. Using phone so quotes are going haywire 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5