Melbourne Football

Jack Clisby

Red or Dead

Could very soon be a Melbourne City player dropping into the Left Back position. Hopefully he proves to be better than our current Left Back options.

Date of birth:     Feb 16, 1992

Place of birth:    Perth  

Height:              1.80m

Nationality:        Australia

Position:            Defence - Centre/Left Back

Foot:                 Left

Market value:    100 Th. € (According to transfermarkt)

Last change:     Jan 15, 2014

We're becoming well-known for dragging out these transfer rumours. First Aaron Mooy, now Jack Clisby...

As a first step he's been released by Perth.

"Meantime, Jack Clisby and Perth Glory FC have mutually agreed to terminate the young defender’s contract immediately, to allow the 22-year old to pursue alternate football opportunities. 

Clisby joined the Hyundai A-League leaders in 2013, making 28 appearances for his home town club. 

“First of all I’d like to thank the fans and supporters for their continued loyalty. It’s been a difficult decision to leave a club at the top of the table but I feel this is the best for my career going forward” Clisby said. "

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jamieson-extends-glory-stay/1t2eunvov78em1ath3b6ksajwr

Edited by jw1739

It's 8:15AM in Abu Dhabi. It wouldn't surprise me if it took a few hours longer for the right club staff/media people to get up and hammer out a statement. And Clisby has just been released for 3 or so hours.

Do players still need to physically sign contracts, in person with the new club and so on? I reckon we'll probably hear a statement on Clisby soon, but I'd say the longest it would take to hear about Clisby signing is if he just flew out from Perth today and had to land in Abu Dhabi and sign a contract before a statement can be released. At most, this situation could take 12 to 24 hours before an official statement on Clisby's signing is released. It all looks a done deal though, and I reckon we'll hear something pretty soon.

I believe Jack Clisby will be the first ranga to sign for the club? Can't think of any previous players.

Importantly Clisby will give the club actual defensive depth. I'd say Archibald will be lucky to make another matchday squad again, which is fitting because he doesn't seem ready this season. And Clisby could even be the solution to the troublesome LB spot. So all up it looks like another useful young player signed by the club.

It's 8:15AM in Abu Dhabi. It wouldn't surprise me if it took a few hours longer for the right club staff/media people to get up and hammer out a statement. And Clisby has just been released for 3 or so hours.

Do players still need to physically sign contracts, in person with the new club and so on? I reckon we'll probably hear a statement on Clisby soon, but I'd say the longest it would take to hear about Clisby signing is if he just flew out from Perth today and had to land in Abu Dhabi and sign a contract before a statement can be released. At most, this situation could take 12 to 24 hours before an official statement on Clisby's signing is released. It all looks a done deal though, and I reckon we'll hear something pretty soon.

I believe Jack Clisby will be the first ranga to sign for the club? Can't think of any previous players.

Importantly Clisby will give the club actual defensive depth. I'd say Archibald will be lucky to make another matchday squad again, which is fitting because he doesn't seem ready this season. And Clisby could even be the solution to the troublesome LB spot. So all up it looks like another useful young player signed by the club.

If we get franjic and clisby id call that a pretty successful transfer period for us.

Although id say franjic depends on wether willo pisses off

Kristian Sarkies.

IMO contracts can be signed by agents.

Don't wont to be a killjoy but has he been injured this season? Or had the deal been done long time ago and he's been frozen out team selection and only played sparingly. No games for 8 weeks or was just an unused sub. Should we be worried?

Date Round Opponent Result Goal/Card/App Event time

Sunday October 19, 2014 2 Brisbane Roar (H) W 3 - 2 11 mins »

Saturday November 1, 2014 4 Newcastle Jets (H) W 2 - 1 55 mins »

Friday December 26, 2014 12 Melbourne City (A) D 1 - 1 1 mins »

Friday January 2, 2015 13 Melbourne Victory (A) W 2 - 1 1 mins »

Monday January 5, 2015 14 Adelaide United (H) L 1 - 2 1 mins »

I think Clisby is a good chance to start at LB. He's played about the same amount of games as Chapman in the A-League, and we all know how well Chapman's handled being chucked into Melbourne City's starting XI (although I have a sense that Chapman might be a bit better than Clisby).

I'm not 100% sure what Clisby is like at LB and CB, and which position he's better to play in. But given the team's dearth of LB options I really think he's definitely worth giving a go at LB.

And I suspect that he was signed because the coaches are intent on playing him (and indeed, Clisby probably only left the team that's currently top of the league because he believes he'll get more game time here).

Don't wont to be a killjoy but has he been injured this season? Or had the deal been done long time ago and he's been frozen out team selection and only played sparingly. No games for 8 weeks or was just an unused sub. Should we be worried?

Monday January 5, 2015 14 Adeliaide United (H) L 1 - 2 1 mins »

I think it's more a lack if opportunity at Perth, top of the table and jamieson, Djulbic, thwaite and risdon is pretty settled and solid back 4

• Like 1

Monday January 5, 2015 14 Adeliaide United (H) L 1 - 2 1 mins »

I think it's more a lack if opportunity at Perth, top of the table and jamieson, Djulbic, thwaite and risdon is pretty settled and solid back 4

Yeah, getting some time in Perth's last three matches (albeit next to nothing) is a good sign, as far as I'm concerned. He wouldn't have been brought on, if he wasn't right to go. As neio has mentioned, it's likely that it's just him looking for more first team/starting opportunities, which is something he will have a clear chance to earn with us, from day one. If he was getting more time at Perth, it's a bit hard to see why he'd want come here in the first place, at this stage of the season, possibly giving up a chance to be part of a team that wins a trophy or two in the process.

Two times I've seen him live he has given away stupid penalties. Based on that him, wielaert and kisnorbo should be great mates. Was never going to get much of a run behind Risdon, Djulbic, thwaite and jamieson so makes sense for him to move.

Is young so hopefully thrives at a new club. Can't be worse than what we have but whether he will be better we will have to wait and see.

The main thing that concerns me is that we should be targeting players that will be part of title winning starting xi. If we're signing players that aren't starting at other ALeague teams then to me makes little sense. Don't get me wrong both Melling and Chapman have been revelations and I think both have still heaps of upside and will improve next season and beyond, I just think we got lucky picking them up. I think our luck may run out and were bringing in guys that are better than what we have but not better than opposing teams.

Hope I am wrong and Clisby is gun like Chapman and not just a ranga version of Ramsay.

The main thing that concerns me is that we should be targeting players that will be part of title winning starting xi. If we're signing players that aren't starting at other ALeague teams then to me makes little sense. Don't get me wrong both Melling and Chapman have been revelations and I think both have still heaps of upside and will improve next season and beyond, I just think we got lucky picking them up. I think our luck may run out and were bringing in guys that are better than what we have but not better than opposing teams.

Hope I am wrong and Clisby is gun like Chapman and not just a ranga version of Ramsay.

When things go poorly we tend to blame the coach and say 'it has nothing to do with luck' yet when the coaching team do something well they got 'lucky'. Let's call the recruitment of Mooy, Chapman and Melling what they have been, which is astute pieces of business by the club. Love or hate JVS he has a record of spotting and developing players like this.  

• Like 2

The main thing that concerns me is that we should be targeting players that will be part of title winning starting xi.

1. Some fairly average players have been part of title winning staring 11s (salary cap etc.)

2. Right now we just need to improve on what we have, and we have nothing at lb.

• Like 1

Agree Tesla, it's more of a comment about why a player like Clisby is seen as good signing mainly due to the fact of who he is replacing rather than his own ability. We are never going to have standout players in every position due to cap restraints, but that doesn't mean we should just accept average players replacing below average players. Just the way I see it.

This isn't a flash in the pan signing - we have been interested in Clisby for some time. We're going to get signings wrong from time to time - all coaches do - but the plus for me with this chap is that  IMO it signals a change in coaching philosophy - at last we are signing someone who professes to actually be a defender, rather than someone who we intend to turn into a full-back from being a winger.

Let's hope he lives up to van 't Schip's expectations. Jack Clisby, welcome to Melbourne City.