Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

As I see it the "dilemma players" we have are in two categories, those with a contract for another year, and those who will be out of contract at season's end.

Category 1: Redmayne, Hoffman, Williams.

Category 2: Velaphi, Novillo, Germano, Jaliens.

It would make sense to me for those in Category 1 to leave, but I doubt that that can happen.

A case can be made for retaining all those in Category 2, IMO the strongest for Velaphi and Novillo, and the weakest for Jaliens. The problem is, the more players we retain, the greater the restrictions placed on where and who we can recruit. If we keep Velaphi it's unlikely that we will get another GK. If we keep Novillo and Germano, with Koren occupying a further visa place we can recruit only two more visa players.

IMO we should keep Retre but all the others coming out of contract simply have to be released if we are to assemble a better squad for next season.

It's an intriguing situation.

Would pass on Theo. Spent the entire season injured and his 13/14 season performance was at the same level Tando has managed to produce.

Only Vukovic & Galekovic would be a guaranteed improvement on what we have with Tando, who has always technically been very good just had regular brain farts and didn't command his area, which he has improved massively this season.

We're better off forcing Redmayne out and saving some salary cap by signing Alistair Bray as back up on minimum wage.

Edited by mus-28
  • Like 1

As for the keepers, I think all those keepers would take too much of the salary cap. Theo, Vuka and Galekovic would command say $300k, Vuka probably more due to his age. Of course I'm making those numbers up but I'm assuming Velaphi would be on squad min of $60-$80 being a backup keeper 1 year contract, now that he is coming into A League best keeper form, I'd say he'd be looking for a 2 year contract worth $150k per year. 

Would take that, keep Redmayne as backup keeper as he is contracted already (unless you can shift him). If you can shift him, then find a promising young keeper to push Tando. 

Theo and Galekovic are too old and too expensive, meaning you would need to push for a championship in the next 2 years if you were to bring them on.

Would pass on Theo. Spent the entire season injured and his 13/14 season performance was at the same level Tando has managed to produce.

Only Vukovic & Galekovic would be a guaranteed improvement on what we have with Tando, who has always technically been very good just had regular brain farts and didn't command his area, which he has improved massively this season.

We're better off forcing Redmayne out and saving some salary cap by signing Alistair Bray as back up on minimum wage.

As for the keepers, I think all those keepers would take too much of the salary cap. Theo, Vuka and Galekovic would command say $300k, Vuka probably more due to his age. Of course I'm making those numbers up but I'm assuming Velaphi would be on squad min of $60-$80 being a backup keeper 1 year contract, now that he is coming into A League best keeper form, I'd say he'd be looking for a 2 year contract worth $150k per year. 

Would take that, keep Redmayne as backup keeper as he is contracted already (unless you can shift him). If you can shift him, then find a promising young keeper to push Tando. 

Theo and Galekovic are too old and too expensive, meaning you would need to push for a championship in the next 2 years if you were to bring them on.

Agree with the thrust of the above. With a little prudent recruiting the defence and GK are no longer a problem area for us. It's up front where we have trouble creating and scoring goals, so that's really where the main strengthening of the squad needs to take place.

Our biggest weaknesses are our full-backs, wingers and strikers. Imo, we should target the following:

Full-backs: Franjic, Golec, Visa left back

Wingers: Rukavytsya, International Marquee

Strikers: Maclaren, Gameiro, Borrello, Visa striker

• Like 1

Brad Jones reportedly being released by Liverpool after being told he would get a new contact at the start of the year. Tabloids however. Liverpool forums saying he probably isn't even good enough to be a Championship Number 1 keeper.

tando>jones

Tando > De Gea

Brad Jones reportedly being released by Liverpool after being told he would get a new contact at the start of the year. Tabloids however. Liverpool forums saying he probably isn't even good enough to be a Championship Number 1 keeper.

tando>jones Redmayne > Jones

Our biggest weaknesses are our full-backs, wingers and strikers. Imo, we should target the following:

Fucking Golec. what do people see in this bloke ? signing for perth anyway apparently 

And before you all attack me name one foreign player who has played all season and been good on a consistent basis.

We haven't had any who have played all season.

Wielhart started but then got injured, although he was in the main poor.

Koren was injured for most of the first part of the season. However, since he has started he has been poor overall.

Germano kept getting injured, but has actually played well when available.

Safuwan joined about November I think, and has been okay for most of the games he has played.

Jaliens and Novillo joined as injury replacements and neither has let us down to be honest.

I would actually offer Novillo and Safuwan contracts

The others I would let go. Which is unfortunate for Germano, but his injuries have probably cost him a contract.

Edited by silva10

I know what your saying but ultimately our foreigns have been either injured or injury replacements and besides novillo I haven't been impressed with our foreigns.

I would give Safuwan a chance.

Preferably at Centre Half, but as he has already shown can step into other areas if injuries or suspensions hit us.

It will all depend on if the salary cap gets increased.

Personally I would leave it as it is and allow teams to sign another two players outside the cap.

Rather than have an Australian and International Marquee player, we could have 4 Marquee players with at least one being an Aussie.

I just think the  A League need to allow clubs to improve their teams, which would improve the whole league.

Then we won't have to have another Perth Glory situation.

Pretty much agree with this. 

Overall though goal-scorers have to be target no 1 for next season. The squad simply needs more firepower.

I'm also sympathetic to the idea of getting 5 new Visa players. Melbourne City could conceivably do it (if it paid out Koren's contract. The other Visa players are out of contract now).

By my count there's only 13 senior players (out of the 23) signed up for next season and beyond. There's 8 players out of contract, and most could probably be moved on.

It's probably time for Melbourne City to be ruthless and to release lots of players, including some good players (who aren't quite good enough). IMO 2, maybe 3 out of the out of contract players should be kept, as they are good enough to make a top A-League side IMO.

Overall though tough choices have to be made to free up spots on the playing roster. And then Melbourne City can go about the positive business of really strengthening the team for next season with numerous quality and carefully scouted recruits.

• Like 2

Vukovic, Maclaren & Burns should be prime targets for the club going forward.

We also need to look at replacing Koren with a better marquee.

Throw the cash at someone like Diamanti, who could tear it up both locally and in the ACL if we were to get there or a quality striker.

So guys who are out of contract and very likely to have played their last games for us are:

- Wielart

-Jaliens

- Murdocca

-Ramsay

- Mate (??)

Those who are out of contract and we may keep:

- Germano (visa dependent)

- Tando (would keep if we got rid of Redders- if not, would let go and go for Vuckovic/Another Oz Keeper)

-Retre (sign late as possible as squad filler if required)

Those who are out of contract and we should/will keep:

- Novillo

Those who can pay and get rid of:

- Koren ( HAS TO GO- one of our most important pieces of business will be getting rid of him, and finding a quality attacking marquee

- Kennedy ( as much as I love Jesus for his OZ exploits, it just doesn't look like it's going to work out. If we could get Burns/needed extra $$ to keep Mooy as OZ Marquee then would pay out Jesus- maybe offer him a lesser contract under the cap)

Those who are contracted and we should desperately try to get rid of (somehow!):

- Williams

- Hoffman

- Redmayne

All 3- too shit for too long. Hacks, who IMO aren't deserving of being professional footballers.

Did I miss anyone?

All in all- our football department will be very busy!

Hoffman just tweeted something along the lines of 'been a pleasure lads...onto greater things in the near future' . Obviously this can be taken any number of ways, but do others think it might be a sign some players might have already been told 'that's it'

Edited by Cityamatic

Yes the medical side is very important. At one stage earlier in the season we had 9 injuries. Going into last night's game we had 7 if you include Safuwan. With the 3 injuries picked up last night that brings us up to 10 injuries, with I'd say about 7 of those being first XI players. At some point it goes beyond bad luck and coincidence. You can't win shit if your team is disjointed from being out injured all the time. The best teams have good runs with injury. But I do not believe it's coincidental. I think you make your own luck and while injuries are a part of all sports, we have far too many which point to a problem with 1) medical/fitness staff and 2) recruitment of players who are older/have known injury problems.

Edited by fidrildid6
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic