Melbourne Football

RD 8: Phoenix V City Sunday 3pm

Dylan

Gooch has played LB previously and has started a few games LB and on the wing if I recall correctly. He's fun to watch going forward, defensively he's a bit lazy. At least Ramsey doesn't stop running and chasing.We need a proper LB, not a convert.

Agree wholeheartedly. Otherwise we wreck another young player's career.

TBH, so sick of this makeshift approach of JvS. Here we are backed by one of the wealthiest groups in the world and our squad can't even measure up to the Phoenix. No defence and no reliable strikers. Can't believe it. Guess we can only hope that this year is a bridging year, particularly since a lot of the dead weight won't be re-signed (at least you'd hope...)

Edited by strider

Thinking he can turn any Midfielder into a Defender is JVS's trademark coaching move.

True to JVS form:

1. It smacks of arrogance towards the standard of opposition in the A-League.

2. Fails about 70% of the time which allows an opening for the JVS fanboys to use the 30% of time that it has worked (Aziz) to continue with their love for a shit coach.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

From what I understood from that analysis is that Ramsay did everything BUT follow the game plan.

The game plan (apparently) consists of one full back pushing up the pitch whilst their opposite full back tucks into the centre of the park to fill the hole and stop the quick counter attack if we lose the ball further up the pitch.

In all those images of the analysis it shows Ramsay as high as Hoffman every time Hoffman had the ball high up the pitch. So yes Miller might be crap, but Ramsay seems to think he has a licence to roam free no matter where the ball is leaving Wieleart et al exposed and undermanned at the back.

My understanding was that if Wieleart went forward (I think JvS also mentioned it in a presser) then Kirsnorbo had to move towards the centre or vice-versa. The problem began early when both Wieleart and Kirsnorbo went high simultaneously. The roles of the LB/RB was to go forward and take the pass from the midfielders. In last weeks case Miller lost the ball easily as Ramsay was moving forward to receive the pass (and to make matters worse, Miller did not chase). This left Ibini with the ball and plenty of room.

Honestly the appalling recruiting means that whilst we have 18 midfielders, Ramsay is probably legitimately the best option at left back, which is a large part of why I predicted a poor season for us.

Anyway back to Wellington, I am expecting a goal fest.

The winner will get at least 3 goals, hopefully that's us.

You may be right about Ramsay, but two things really, really piss me off about this.

Firstly we'll never know if any of the youth fullbacks are better because no one is prepared to roll the dice. Sometimes opportunities are grasped by kids in spectacular style. "The definition of insanity ................" concept keeps ringing in my ears - it's not working (in fact I think it's failing having him at LB spectacularly, repeatedly). The opposition know it, we know it, Damien Duff shows it on the pitch and no one has any faith in him. It's got to the point it's embarrassing.

Secondly, how much worse could a raw kid do? I think it's at the point where if it's worse we should take it on the chin. But to not try is helping spread the cancer of no accountability and no consequence through the team. If people aren't performing, they should be replaced repeatedly until someone is found. There may be initial pain in this but you end up with the product you want. Postecoglu was and is a master of this.

And before anyone argues we shouldn't "sacrifice" a kid's career too early, it's only one game and what the hell is JVS doing to Ramsay? Once any suitable replacement is found, he is on the A-league scrap heap. I'm at the point of feeling sorry for the prick he's so out of his depth.

And FFS play Duff on the left. A natural left footer to give us width, and tracks back better than Duga so provides better cover to our obvious weak side.

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

It's an interesting discussion point regarding which side duff and duga play. We know the obvious answer is to play them on their preferred side so that they can cross the ball in with their prefferred foot as opposed to cutting back on the inside towards goals. But could there be a different reason or reasons as to the benefits? Could it have something to do with balance with they right and left fullback?

The most obvious benefit for me is when let's say Hoffman has the ball and passes it down the wing to duff, the first foot to come into contact with the ball would be Duffs left foot. Some goes for Duga on the left wing. If they switch sides when anyone of our left or right fullbacks pass to our forward wingers then they would receive the ball with their non preferred foot which may make it more difficult for them to control the ball and the situation. That analysis done on weilaert and how sydney pressured him onto his non preferred left foot by arching their run is interesting. The same could be applied to our forwards on the wing. So if duga is on the right and his first touch is on his left foot he could be forced into playing an ackward left footed pass. By playing on the left wing he would receive the ball with his right and have more control in that instance to penetrate a run coming off his right foot or play an immediate pass.

I've been one to beleive like most that both duff and duga would be best suited to their natural sides but maybe there are arguements as to why they may also benefit from playing on opposite wings.

Hi guys. Not sure if anyone is making the trip over. But if they are, the Fever would like to invite them on our annual pre-Christmas pub crawl.

All details here. https://www.facebook.com/events/762188570520322/?fref=ts

We've had some Newy and Sydney fans join us in the past. Generally it's a bloody good night out.

Cheers

Dale

Yellow Fever

Seriously how could anyone not like Wellington?

We're just like that youngest sibling who desperately wants to be like by everyone.

Forgot to mention the only catch is that whoever attends has to buy the beers if you wallop us 5-0 again.

well i reckon my wallet would be safe !!!

pity , d'wife and I were thinking of coming over in February but not sure where the match is , it is not in Wellington, we were thinking of catching up with friends in Auckland

Thank would be one the games in Lower Hutt. Which is pretty much in Wellington. About 15km up the round. being played there because of the cricket world cup has taken Westpac out. Shit! I will be at Upper Hut! What a shame

From what I understood from that analysis is that Ramsay did everything BUT follow the game plan.

The game plan (apparently) consists of one full back pushing up the pitch whilst their opposite full back tucks into the centre of the park to fill the hole and stop the quick counter attack if we lose the ball further up the pitch.

In all those images of the analysis it shows Ramsay as high as Hoffman every time Hoffman had the ball high up the pitch. So yes Miller might be crap, but Ramsay seems to think he has a licence to roam free no matter where the ball is leaving Wieleart et al exposed and undermanned at the back.

That's what I thought. But got confused because everyone else was saying the opposite. Gurruccio ppaying badly is at worst as bad as ramsey

• Like 1

As always, because of our repeated inability to get off to a good start, this game and every one after it is critical to our season.

If we lose this we will be six points off fifth spot requiring a massive change in form to peg the difference back, and most likely be bottom of the league by Christmas.

I predict JvS will go for the older players over youth - he always does - and persist with this stupid high-press formula that doesn't suit the players he has.

Our record against Wellington is poor. Regrettably I think we will lose.

Jesus H Christ you're a negative bastard.

Wellington to win 3-1.

The game kicks off at 4am UK time....will set the record button in case I don't wake up in time lol

Do you follow us because you miss the good old days at City before The Shiekh bought the club?

Lol Kiro

They are only the good old days because now I know what it is like o win something watching City

Of course there was a carnaraderie back then that is not too disismilar what you lads have here. So when I heard about the venture that the club were doing in Australia, I found this site to see who Melbourne Heart where.

I have listened to your debates and put my thoughts forward and even if CFG pulled out tomorrow (I know they won't) I would still be supporting Melbourne Heart/City because I enjoy the banter you lads have on the forum and know from experience when you guys eventually win something it will be worth all the pain you have gone through.

• Like 4

So does anyone actually know who isn't playing and where they've seen this?

Check the twitter site, it's on there.

Club Twitter.

I don't think he had any choice but to make some changes. Archibald and Melling in to start, and Mauk and Marino on the bench - at least he's giving four lads a go.

I don't like to comment too much on who the manager plays, they can play the whole NYL team for all I care, but they have to get the result.

JVS has made a move here that looks retarded to all of us, dropping Hoffman who has been one of our better players this season. If he losses this game, there is no way he can continue after making that move. Big gamble.

Unless Hoffman is injured or something...

Either way, Hoffman haters are going to get a lesson on how good the Hoff actually is when they watch Archibald get raped all game. Cya JVS :up:

Edited by Tesla