Melbourne Football

kalmar done and dusted

drewmelbcity

No one ever doubted his ability.

that's not even close to true.

I had never anyway i should say rather.

I always thought he could be a solid midfielder, but every season he always got injured whenever it looked like he was coming good.

We have more then enough midfielders though, so i hope he goes well at WSW.

Edited by kingofhearts

Kalmar has always been a confidence player, and they generally don't do well under Heart/City. How were we ever supposed to judge him properly when he never got a run of 3-4 full 90 minute games in his whole time at our club. Easy to say "oh he never cemented his spot in the team" but not every player is like that, would have liked to have seen JVS just stick Kalmar in an advanced midfield role for half a season with limited defensive duties and taking all set pieces, really wouldn't have been much worse than what we had.

• Like 1

Kalmar has always been a confidence player, and they generally don't do well under Heart/City. How were we ever supposed to judge him properly when he never got a run of 3-4 full 90 minute games in his whole time at our club. Easy to say "oh he never cemented his spot in the team" but not every player is like that, would have liked to have seen JVS just stick Kalmar in an advanced midfield role for half a season with limited defensive duties and taking all set pieces, really wouldn't have been much worse than what we had.

You're absolutely right. Highlights van 't Schip's deficiencies as a senior coach. He can spot good young players a mile off - it was he who plucked Kalmar from the VPL. But he has a poor record in turning them into consistent performers at a senior level. 

You're absolutely right. Highlights van 't Schip's deficiencies as a senior coach. He can spot good young players a mile off - it was he who plucked Kalmar from the VPL. But he has a poor record in turning them into consistent performers at a senior level. 

Maybe Kalmar just isn't a consistent player, and hence not a very good A-League player?

Kalmar played 29 games in Heart's first season, including 17 starts (the A-League then had 11 teams, so the season was longer than 27 games). Kalmar also failed to produce good performances under Aloisi, with him getting 17 games (inc. 10 starts) in Heart's 2012/13 season. Kalmar also played 20 games last season (inc. 7 starts).

The issue is Kalmar never showed enough quality consistently. Kalmar was in his 5th season at the club this season, and over his many seasons at the club he neither: was a consistent performer, or developed and became better over those 5 seasons.

So Kalmar's doing what I expected he would do at WSW. He'll pop up with a few good performances, and maybe notch a couple of goals (Kalmar did score 6 goals over 69 games at Heart as well), but I'm doubtful Kalmar will show more than that. In other words, Kalmar getting consistent game time at WSW will at best be as good as Kalmar during Heart's first season, where he put in a couple of quality performances over the season, and notched a couple of goals (3).

And then there were injury problems, which I think part excused Kalmar's inconsistency. Kalmar missed the entirety of Heart's second season with a back injury, and he had a few other lengthy injuries as well. But still, if a player can't play in a team regularly and contribute, even if he's got a legitimate excuse, then a team is right to consider moving that player on (the same is true with Germano).

And then there's 2 other reasons why the club was right to move Kalmar on this season: 1). the club brought in a lot of midfield quality this season in Mooy, Koren, Paartalu and Melling. We have an entirely new midfield this season, and the team is much better off for it. And 2). our midfielders need good intensity/pace, and need to be able to defend well. Intensity, pace and defending have never been strong suits of Kalmar's game IMO; Kalmar is no Aaron Mooy or Jacob Melling.

So the club was right to move Kalmar on. He was one of my favourite players at Melbourne Heart, but I doubt he'll ever become a more consistent and better player. And Kalmar wasn't the type of midfielder Melbourne City needs, and the club now has midfielders that deserved to be played ahead of Kalmar. 

All up Kalmar going to WSW is a win for Melbourne City and a win for Kalmar. Melbourne City now have more opportunity to strengthen the team, in particular the team's defence. And Kalmar has an opportunity to get a bit more game time. However, for the reasons above, Kalmar's football won't go to another level at WSW, and Melbourne City won't regret moving him on.

• Like 2

I agree it was right for the club to move the player on, however my thoughts on Kalmar is that he is a player who needs 4-5 games in a row before he gets up and going.  Notably his best matches were when he did play numerous games in a row. This is a symptom of being a confidence player.

The issue is that Kalmar even at his best would still have a few players ahead of him in the pecking order, so he isn't going to get consistent game time, which means he has to step up in the sporadic game time he gets (which he usually does not impress). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

17_tjoyd489fhgg11hszo52ztdxw.jpg?t=12018

I like this.

Football is a tough business. But decency can shine through if we make it so. It was said at one point that JvS and Kalmar had their differences, so this picture means even more.

Heart was always a decent club. Long may it continue.

Little gestures like this is what keeps me coming weekly, although who knows what was said,lol.

I just want to put it out there,

I think our fans showed some class in giving Nick a round of applause there yesterday, not the rubbish that some fans dish out to players that have left a club

I saw Newcastle play Aston villa at St James Park in about 99. A villa substitution resulted in everyone in the stadium clapping off the villa player. Fella next to me said it was because he played a few games for Newcastle and therefore he always had their respect. I thought it was a very respectful thing to do then, and I joined in clapping Kalmar off on Sunday. One of the reasons I love our game.

Deserved a good reception as he was here for a while and didn't slag the club and left to try get game time, garcia deserves to get booed every time he's in melbourne though

Maybe. But given that, clapping him off shows respect for heart/city because of what he did for the club when he was a committed, or at least contacted player.

17_tjoyd489fhgg11hszo52ztdxw.jpg?t=12018

I like this.

Football is a tough business. But decency can shine through if we make it so. It was said at one point that JvS and Kalmar had their differences, so this picture means even more.

Heart was always a decent club. Long may it continue.

caption: "let's just smile for the cameras but I hate you a lot, me too buddy, me too." *both tilts head back and laughs jovially*