Melbourne Football

kalmar done and dusted

drewmelbcity

Watch now when he becomes a good player at A-League level. Finally a chance to prove the "it's not the manager" people wrong :up:

Its only a short term contract so Poppa better work quickly.

Kalmar has until end of AFC Champions League group stage in May so should be enough time.

Wish the guy well. Thought he showed plenty of talent, all be it just way too inconsistently and infrequently.

Funnily enough I found an old iphone video I'd taken of Kalmar scoring a peach of a free kick (against Perth from two years ago).

Amusing that he always seemed to do ok against them and happens to leave the day before we are to play them for the first time this season

Wish him all the best. A fine contributor in the early part of the club's life.

Nowadays though Kalmar simply couldn't get into a midfield with Mooy and Paartalu, Koren returning to full fitness, and Melling and Mauk developing. JVS signed Kalmar in 2010 from the VPL, and he probably thought he hasn't developed enough since then as well, which makes it all the more sensible to play Melling and Mauk if 1st choice midfielders (Koren, Mooy, Paartalu) are unavailable, since Melling and Mauk are still very young (both 19), and have their best days ahead of them.

Also Kalmar has had some long term injuries, including one season-long injury, and as we know with Germano you can't afford to persevere with players who are at high risk of injury when a team only has a small squad of 23 players.

I hope he does well, and I can see Kalmar doing a bit better now that he's at another club (if only because he might actually get game time). But at the same time I don't think the club will regret releasing Kalmar, and I think it was in the best interests of both Kalmar and the club to mutually terminate his contract.

TBH it's not that big a surprise there were at least 2 other A-League clubs after him. At the end of the day he has played some good games in the A-League, and that makes him a lot less of a risk than a state league player or a youth player (the other options that you'd get for minimum salary)

interesting, simon hill said he was signed as an injury replacement. good luck to him

He was signed first as an injury replacement and then for their Asian Cup campaign. He has only a short-term contract.

Suggest to me he is signed for the season, they just have no other way to fit him in. They'll probably keep using him as an injury replacement for different players (can you do that?). Or they might get rid of a player and then bring him in as a registered player.

IIRC injury replacements have to be for players designated as "long-term injuries." They have to be approved by FFA.

Once WSW have no designated "long-term injuries" then Kalmar cannot play A-League football for WSW.

He can play Asian Champions League because that allows a larger squad. Williams was such a player for Sydney before he joined Heart.

Edited by jw1739

IIRC injury replacements have to be for players designated as "long-term injuries." They have to be approved by FFA.

Once WSW have no designated "long-term injuries" then Kalmar cannot play A-League football for WSW.

He can play Asian Champions League because that allows a larger squad. Williams was such a player for Sydney before he joined Heart.

Well if they have any more long term injuries, I'd expect them to continue him on as an injury replacement.

I have a feeling they plan to get rid of a player from their list though and then register Kalmar.

Anyway, he had a decent game, nothing spectacular. WSW can't really complain, not like the rest of the team is playing better plus it was only hs first game.

So looks like it's worked out well for everyone, we free up some space in the roster/cap, Kalmar gets playing time, WSW get a player they will probably use a fair bit.

• Like 3

Thought he played fairly well tonight whilst still showing exactly why he is not a fit in our current midfield.

Really hope he does well at the Wanderers, that scissor kick goal would've been something special.

Would like to see him treated with respect when he comes visiting AAMI Park in Feb. Polite applause during team announcement pre-game, maybe a quick Nicky Kalmar chant, and then business as usual.

I understand he is hardly a club legend, but he did his bit for the club over 5 seasons. If I see anyone booing him during the game (ala Garcia the cunt) then I will definitely give them a massive serve. Forced out of the club and still did them a favour by mutually terminating his contract to free up cap space.

This.

No grudges towards Kalmar. Did what he could, struggled for form at a time when many others did too.

Don't see him becoming a standout at WSW but hope he does alright

Thought it would have been a pisser if he'd scored from that scissor kick. Would have gone down as one of the better goals this season and from his first game (talk about sending up your old club)

Edited by mattyh001

Watch now when he becomes a good player at A-League level. Finally a chance to prove the "it's not the manager" people wrong :up:

The problem with that logic is that Aaron Mooy went in the opposite direction. Does JVS deserve the credit for turning him into one of the best players in the league?