Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

35 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Does it irk you though? It's amusing or sad in my book. They vote for a member who immediately moves to an affluent suburb and then votes for left wing green style initiatives designed to put their constituents on the dole queue.

Not sure why a genuine workers party hasn't  sprung up.

On a practical level it doesn't irk me (I've been to Leeds more than I've been to Melbourne's West in the last 5 years)

On an ideological level it does, as these seats keep electing these muppets despite them doing the opposite of what they claim to stand for.

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

TTIM: PPL who vote Greens in Inner City Seats but then spend there whole attacking Coalition Governments on Social Media, when by voting Greens in places like the seat of Melbourne they are just as much to blame for Coalition Government as anyone else.

I disagree tbh, a plural system with parties that represent the area should be encouraged. People should vote for the best party for them not the party they see as a "lesser of two evils."

Edited by thisphantomfortress

4 hours ago, cadete said:

Believe me even in the Inner City it can suck with having no seat when you are tired, there are more than a couple of tram route which at their worst that take twenty minutes to do a few blocks on some of the main drags.

Also anyone else noticed how a large part of the Tram Network seems to of been set up to get kids from the Leafy South Eastern Suburbs to Melbourne University?

Let them have their trams, the Bus from North Melbourne train station to Melbourne Uni is far superior (and probably the best bus route in the state). Bus every 2 minutes, not much traffic on the route so its pretty fast and reliable, only stops at hospital and melbourne uni keeping it quick, etc

The western suburbs actually has the best PT access to Melbourne Uni because of this bus route.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM; how much Victoria Labor ignores their rusted on seats (e.g. the West) and how the infrastructure there is a joke and these people continue voting for them.

This one irked me, but the Andrews government is the first one I can remember that has actually done things for the west so cant really complain currently.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

On a practical level it doesn't irk me (I've been to Leeds more than I've been to Melbourne's West in the last 5 years)

On an ideological level it does, as these seats keep electing these muppets despite them doing the opposite of what they claim to stand for.

I disagree tbh, a plural system with parties that represent the area should be encouraged. People should vote for the best party for them not the party they see as a "lesser of two evils."

Well the first thing I would like to say is that most Greens voters are unfamiliar with easily 80% of their policies, I have more than a few of them in the past claim I was lying when I have mentioned some of these hidden social parties prior to me showing proof.

(In fact about ten years ago when we did not have Smart Phones I actually had a Unpolitical Girl I was seeing at the time walk out of Cafe on me - Even though everything I said was factual... she was even more pissed of when I sent her the link to the policies I had told her about.)

But my main point is that if PPL want to combat the effects of Trump/Brexit so badly in Australia as I read everywhere (And as I assume most Greens Voter obv do) then voting for a bloke who can give a few Feelgood Soundbites that ultimately mean nothing is going to be a less effective than electing an ALP Prime Minister...

And as 2/3 elections has shown these Inner City Seats could decide an Election.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Yeah but i find it stupid that everyone takes this forum so seriously. I dont want to start an argument but i cant even joke around and make a thread(that some people enjoy) without being banned. 

The Forum is probably boring if it gets too serious, and probably equally so if you have 3-4 people all trying to be funny at the same time, especially if repeating the same "jokes" that have been used time and time again. All compounded by another mediocre season on the field. If we were in Sydney's position with one hand on the Premiership already I doubt anyone would care what was posted. In the circumstances overall IMO we manage to strike a reasonable balance.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cadete said:

( I actually had a Unpolitical Girl I was seeing at the time walk out of Cafe on me - Even though everything I said was factual... she was even more pissed of when I sent her the link to the policies I had told her about.)

When you argue with a woman you love, you are in the most trouble when you prove she is wrong.

Thought you were too smart to do that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You made a personal attack on someone, idgaf that I'm good mates with ya. If you're being a jerk and killing the quality of posts you will be punished.

TTIM: @Embee wanting special treatment

>killing the quality of posts

>quality posts

>forum.melbournefootball.com

• Like 3

20 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM; how much Victoria Labor ignores their rusted on seats (e.g. the West) and how the infrastructure there is a joke and these people continue voting for them.

Politics isn't like a football team, you are allowed to change who you vote for.

Well Liberals were giving us the EW Link (who got my vote) and Labor are giving us the Western Distributor plus the new underground line which will benefit the west, as well as the 2bn Labor are spending on roads strictly in the west (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/major-roads-announcement-to-be-made-by-premier-daniel-andrews/news-story/5c290875f6f548ca415996f62000e24d)

There was also the Regional Rail Link which was completed a couple of years ago. I don't feel we've been completely ignored. 

Edited by hedaik

55 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Well Liberals were giving us the EW Link (who got my vote) and Labor are giving us the Western Distributor plus the new underground line which will benefit the west, as well as the 2bn Labor are spending on roads strictly in the west (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/major-roads-announcement-to-be-made-by-premier-daniel-andrews/news-story/5c290875f6f548ca415996f62000e24d)

There was also the Regional Rail Link which was completed a couple of years ago. I don't feel we've been completely ignored. 

The tedium of Big Party Politics I think most easily displayed by these major works programs... all of them have been forecasted as needed years ago by the same Urban Planners and Traffic Engineers in an pretty apolitical capacity.

The Parties know this as well but they are forced to take opposing sides on each Program due them such big news items for State Politics. Daniel Andrews for example had to really run against the EW Link because there was nothing else that the Baillieu Government had done that the General Public even knew about.

3 hours ago, cadete said:

The tedium of Big Party Politics I think most easily displayed by these major works programs... all of them have been forecasted as needed years ago by the same Urban Planners and Traffic Engineers in an pretty apolitical capacity.

The Parties know this as well but they are forced to take opposing sides on each Program due them such big news items for State Politics. Daniel Andrews for example had to really run against the EW Link because there was nothing else that the Baillieu Government had done that the General Public even knew about.

IMO there ought to be a mechanism whereby major projects deemed to be "in the national/State interest" should be taken out of the political bickering that currently accompanies every one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dylan said:

The more mirrors a gym has the more fuckwits it attracts, they are like fucking magnets

Every gym is full of fuckwits I just ended up buying all my own shit and working out at home.  Don't have to worry about waiting for machines or sitting on a machine that hasn't been cleaned for days anymore :up:

TTIM: Seeing Berisha get called up to the Kosovo national team, not that I give a fuck what the gypsy does, but more so the fact that FIFA even allowed membership of this fake country. Broke their own long standing rules of only allowing UN recognised nations as members. Dunno how this corrupt organisation even still exists. I wonder who paid the FIFA execs off, was it Soros or was it just some extra cash from their government's organ harvesting business?

Edited by Tesla

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: Seeing Berisha get called up to the Kosovo national team, not that I give a fuck what the gypsy does, but more so the fact that FIFA even allowed membership of this fake country. Broke their own long standing rules of only allowing UN recognised nations as members. Dunno how this corrupt organisation even still exists. I wonder who paid the FIFA execs off, was it Soros or was it just some extra cash from their government's organ harvesting business?

Eventually there will probably be 30 different countries in the Balkans in a 100 years at this rate... seems like there is new one every ten years.

Just now, cadete said:

Eventually there will probably be 30 different countries in the Balkans in a 100 years at this rate... seems like there is new one every ten years.

Just another region ruined by West vs Russia proxy wars.

Seems to me there is a pretty strong chance they'll be another Balkan war very soon (as in this year), it will all come down to Trump and whether he really is a non-interventionist.

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Just another region ruined by West vs Russia proxy wars.

Seems to me there is a pretty strong chance they'll be another Balkan war very soon (as in this year), it will all come down to Trump and whether he really is a non-interventionist.

As you know much more than me it is just a very lived in/travelled through region throughout the history of civilisation...

The amount of Kingdoms, Empires, Nations that have all existed in that area of the world is mind boggling for someone like me who lives in a Country on the bottom of the planet in one of the world's youngest nations.

Alongside that my ancestors come from the furthest country in Western Europe that was so far West even the Romans could not be bothered looking into conquering it...

34 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Are you strictly correct there? FIFA recognises England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as countries, but the UN membership is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Seems to me that there is a lot of confusion between nations, countries and sovereign states.

Politics and sport...

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Are you strictly correct there? FIFA recognises England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as countries, but the UN membership is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Seems to me that there is a lot of confusion between nations, countries and sovereign states.

Politics and sport...

They have a special exemption, some BS about inventing soccer.

I don't really agree with it but it's not a big deal as it's a very long standing arrangement and  not really a political move from FIFA (at least not to me, maybe others see it differently), whereas letting in a disputed nation run by a terrorist and criminal organisation is. 

Edited by Tesla

22 minutes ago, cadete said:

As you know much more than me it is just a very lived in/travelled through region throughout the history of civilisation...

The amount of Kingdoms, Empires, Nations that have all existed in that area of the world is mind boggling for someone like me who lives in a Country on the bottom of the planet in one of the world's youngest nations.

Alongside that my ancestors come from the furthest country in Western Europe that was so far West even the Romans could not be bothered looking into conquering it...

Indeed, but I'd say everything that has happened post cold war is a lot more to do with outsiders trying to gain influence over the region than history. 

It's easy to dismiss the importance of the region but it is in a key geographical position which is why it's valuable. It is certainly interesting that the most recent issues all seem to have started when competing gas pipelines through the region between Russia and the EU started being proposed. 

32 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Never forget; no war in the Balkans in the 90s no invasion of Iraq. Tony Blair = war criminal 

I love how I can remember in 1996 that this bloke was to thousands of Pinkos: The Fresh Faced Saviour who had defeated Thatcherism... who had further showed his connection to the British Youth if the time by wearing Newcastle Kits, listening to Oasis and of course coining the term "The People's Princess".

And now these same PPL cant even utter his name without shuddering.

Edited by cadete

On 16/03/2017 at 6:35 AM, Shahanga said:

Do you live in the inner city?

its fair enough there, though tough luck if you are injured or infirm I guess. The teenagers will grab all the (two) seats before you can shuffle over.

Travelling to the burbs though, you really need seats for pretty much everybody 

I live in the inner west where no one wanted to live in the 70s and 80s. But my experience comes from Tokyo and spending about 90 minutes standing when I had to go to north Tokyo and then travel back home south of Tokyo. And lots and lots of people do it of all ages. Although I have to agree that I don't recall seeing anyone in a wheel chair (motorised or otherwise). Admittedly Japanese teenagers still give up their seats for older people.

My train system during peak hour would have the front and last carriage with minimal amount of seats (just fold up ones along the wall) and anyone with wheel chair or bicycles can go there. One carriage would be standing room only (no seats) with lots of bars to hold onto and teh remainder will have seats.  Off peak the standing room carriage would be replaced with a standard car.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2017 at 11:25 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

Politics isn't like a football team, you are allowed to change who you vote for.

You underestimate the ALP vote - although the safest seats for the ALP are in the west and southeast of Melbourne, their vote is actually quite well spread. Ditto the Liberal party, so both parties have to provide something for those seats that are not blue ribbon.

On 16/03/2017 at 0:09 PM, Shahanga said:

Does it irk you though? It's amusing or sad in my book. They vote for a member who immediately moves to an affluent suburb and then votes for left wing green style initiatives designed to put their constituents on the dole queue.

Not sure why a genuine workers party hasn't  sprung up.

The ALP was founded by the Trade Union movement, hence the desire by conservatives to shut down the link between the union and political wings. If you recall when the ALP first gained office at the federal level, Lenin was aghast because under the Communist theory this could not happen.

On 16/03/2017 at 0:38 PM, cadete said:

Because they could not win office...

Like, Love or Hate them - The ALP has moved towards the centre in order to be able to win office, they are as Worker Driven as a Political Party who can form Government can be in Australia. 

TTIM: PPL who vote Greens in Inner City Seats but then spend there whole attacking Coalition Governments on Social Media, when by voting Greens in places like the seat of Melbourne they are just as much to blame for Coalition Government as anyone else.

On 16/03/2017 at 2:00 PM, cadete said:

Well the first thing I would like to say is that most Greens voters are unfamiliar with easily 80% of their policies, I have more than a few of them in the past claim I was lying when I have mentioned some of these hidden social parties prior to me showing proof.

(In fact about ten years ago when we did not have Smart Phones I actually had a Unpolitical Girl I was seeing at the time walk out of Cafe on me - Even though everything I said was factual... she was even more pissed of when I sent her the link to the policies I had told her about.)

But my main point is that if PPL want to combat the effects of Trump/Brexit so badly in Australia as I read everywhere (And as I assume most Greens Voter obv do) then voting for a bloke who can give a few Feelgood Soundbites that ultimately mean nothing is going to be a less effective than electing an ALP Prime Minister...

And as 2/3 elections has shown these Inner City Seats could decide an Election.

11 hours ago, cadete said:

The Westminster system is the best form of governance as it is less likely to be infected by a "leader". This works extremely well in Australia because of its sheer size, meaning that it is difficult for an individual to spring up and over run a political party like Trump did in the USA. To me the mystery of Brexit is that Cameron did not put a minimum voting turn out and more than a simple majority for the referendum to succeed. If that referendum had been held in Australia, it would never have succeeded. In the USA referendums at the federal level are prohibited - all changes to the constitution are by a super majority vote in the Senate.

It is true that the ALP has moved to the centre in order to form government. It does mean that it can't give as much as it could to the safer seats because then they would likely lose the election. In a sense this gives them universality because almost everyone gets some pork. The same happens to the coalition. One thing that I believe that Abbot moved away from Howard's template was that he cut a lot from the bottom and middle layers for ideological reasons whilst Howard always made sure that the "battlers" got something, eg the Western Bulldogs got the Whitten oval refurbished. Ross Gittins wrote an article showing that Howard had done as much for the bottom 20% as any ALP government had done.

As for the tedium that you mention - that is so true. My brother had a number of meetings through work with then premier Dennis Napthine. At first he wasn't looking forward to the experience because he just did not like the bloke or his policies or the way he thought. However after the first meeting, he changed his mind - he realised that Napthine was more intelligent than what he came across, he personally didn't believe a lot of the things that he spouted and that he knew what neede to be done but he had to appease the different wings of the coalition.

To me the most dispiriting chat was in north west France about 10 years ago. I was outside of Bayonne, a very depressed city where the population keeps on falling as young people leave for anywhere else in search of a job (the population has declined by about 60% over the last fifty years). I was talking to a Socialist party dignitary and he said to me that behind closed doors, the Gaullist reps, the socialist reps and even the centrists all had a general agreement as to what to do to halt the decline; however the minute any of them said anything the Greens would come out and denounce them as evil incarnate and then they would lose what little control they had over the region's affairs.

• Like 4

TTIM: The Indian cricket team. I don't watch much cricket, but from the dodgy pitches to sarcastic facial expressions frustrates me.

It's like the person in your school/workplace, you don't know them but hate them anyway.

Edited by haz

TTIM: People who sit outside my house in their vehicles with the engine running while they are texting. Sometimes they are there for 20 minutes. Main culprits: Japanese parents picking up their kids from Saturday Japanese School at our local Primary School.

Annoys the hell out of me and my house stinks of exhaust fumes for up to an hour afterwards.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TTIM: People who sit outside my house in their vehicles with the engine running while they are texting. Sometimes they are there for 20 minutes. Main culprits: Japanese parents picking up their kids from Saturday Japanese School at our local Primary School.

Annoys the hell out of me and my house stinks of exhaust fumes for up to an hour afterwards.

Check your mailbox. Just in your jocks. That should fix it.