Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

Etihad named as @MelbourneCity shirt sponsor for 5 years. Believed to be most lucrative shirt deal in #aleague history

Since the principles in the deal are brothers, it's not especially relevant.

Who cares? you have an aversion to a LOT more dosh flowing into the club?

The Sheikh is essentially paying himself.

The Sheikh doesn't own Etihad, anyway that's irrelevant, the end result is A LOT of money flowing into Melbourne City, which can be used to upgrade facilities etc, I think that's the relevant bit here.

Etihad named as @MelbourneCity shirt sponsor for 5 years. Believed to be most lucrative shirt deal in #aleague history

Since the principles in the deal are brothers, it's not especially relevant.

Who cares? you have an aversion to a LOT more dosh flowing into the club?

The Sheikh is essentially paying himself.

The Sheikh doesn't own Etihad, anyway that's irrelevant, the end result is A LOT of money flowing into Melbourne City, which can be used to upgrade facilities etc, I think that's the relevant bit here.

He's the Chairman. The family runs it. I guess the way I see it is they'd be putting the money in to make our set-up the best in the A-League by far, one way or another, anyway. Having said that, the tangible stuff like the relative luxury our players were afforded on the flight to England may be very useful for AFC games and the like, down the track.

Damn some people are hard to please. In what way was that an anti-climax?

Kit unveiling and what is reported to be the most lucrative sponsorship for an HAL club yet (who cares if its likely creative accounting) and it wasn't enough? It sure had media interest and looked like a rather professional event. Munn's Melbourne Heart .. er Melbourne City slip up was bad but not even close to John Borghetti's Qantas (his previous employer) stuff up when he was relaunching Virgin Australia :)

If Lampard comes all good, but with an Australian and an International marquee still to come, the squad is looking like a very good mix of promising youth prospects and experience.

That presconference showed the change in our club. In the level of professionalism and taking it seriously.

I was very hard on the club. This sort of stuff (not the sponsor the way it was presented) should have been done from day one. I kept saying Melbourne didn't suffer fools and wanted winners. You know, it's the little things.

That was fantastic viewing.

The club is now doing what I always craved. Being the best.

It's an amazing feeling.

• Like 1

Some of the sponsorship is being used tonight, free flights to and from UK for the whole squad rather than actual cash

Kit unveiling and what is reported to be the most lucrative sponsorship for an HAL club yet (who cares if its likely creative accounting) and it wasn't enough? It sure had media interest and looked like a rather professional event. 

Kit unveiling and what is reported to be the most lucrative sponsorship for an HAL club yet (who cares if its likely creative accounting) and it wasn't enough? 

Nobody cares about who's sponsoring us all we want to know is who will be signing in this off-season. Seeing the kits was cool though, i'll give you that.

Kit unveiling and what is reported to be the most lucrative sponsorship for an HAL club yet (who cares if its likely creative accounting) and it wasn't enough? 

Nobody cares about who's sponsoring us all we want to know is who will be signing in this off-season. Seeing the kits was cool though, i'll give you that.

I beg to differ really. If Jims Plumbing was our sponsor I think it would be more worrying.. Thanks Adelaide :lol:

Having a brand like that sponsor us is a big deal, but yes, more signings are very important soon. One step at a time is all I am trying to say.

Edited by Heart_fan

Kit unveiling and what is reported to be the most lucrative sponsorship for an HAL club yet (who cares if its likely creative accounting) and it wasn't enough? It sure had media interest and looked like a rather professional event. Munn's Melbourne Heart .. er Melbourne City slip up was bad but not even close to John Borghetti's Qantas (his previous employer) stuff up when he was relaunching Virgin Australia :)

If Lampard comes all good, but with an Australian and an International marquee still to come, the squad is looking like a very good mix of promising youth prospects and experience.

Well, in fairness, when it's being widely reported in the media that we were going to get player announcements today, to get some news that we pretty much took as a given anyway, it's a little bit deflating. I mean, compare that with Soriano's email a while back. That was like getting hit with a ton of bricks. I'm not unhappy with any of the announcements today (red shorts on the away kit would have been nice though), but the announcements were nothing to really get me excited, anyway.

Melbourne City tight-lipped on Lampard

By Iain Strachan

07/07/2014 12:58:00 PM

The club have offered little indication of whether or not the Premier League and Champions League winner will be arriving in Australian football next season

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn has refused to buy into speculation surrounding the potential signing of Frank Lampard and also attempted to play down the negative consequences of rebranding the club.

Former England and Chelsea man Lampard has been widely tipped to follow the example set by David Villa, who will spend several months on loan at City before linking up with New York City FC ahead of the 2015 Major League Soccer campaign.

Lampard, who left Chelsea at the end of 2013-14 following a glittering career at Stamford Bridge, is expected to sign for the MLS newcomers, but would face a long wait to make his professional debut for the club, who do not enter the United States' top flight competition until next year.

And while a temporary stay in the A-League would appear the logical solution for the 36-year-old, Munn was noncommittal on the issue ahead of the team's departure for a training camp hosted by parent club Manchester City.

"As a standard rule we don't comment on any media speculation," he said.

"But if, since January when CFG (City Football Group) acquired us, if we'd signed every player linked to us we'd have 60 players flying with us tonight. For us, we're really happy with how our list is coming together and really looking forward to a couple of weeks (of) pre-season."

Speaking at the announcement of a new major sponsorship arrangement with Etihad Airways, Munn dismissed suggestions the club, in changing their name and logo, had paid a price for commercial success.

"Not at all," he said when questioned on the decision of the Yarraside active supporter group to formally disband following the name change.

"It's (the rebrand) been wonderfully well received. We've got an active supporter group that have already rebranded themselves. I think what we've developed is a brand that incorporates the past and looks forward to the future. And that's really what this is about. Being able to fulfil our potential."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2014/07/07/4941531/melbourne-city-tight-lipped-on-lampard

Rebranded? Urgh really.

That presconference showed the change in our club. In the level of professionalism and taking it seriously.

I was very hard on the club. This sort of stuff (not the sponsor the way it was presented) should have been done from day one. I kept saying Melbourne didn't suffer fools and wanted winners. You know, it's the little things.

It's an amazing feeling.

I think the new level of professionalism can be shown in one image.

00036458-Photo.png

Spot on

• Like 1

It's an amazing feeling.

00036458-Photo.png

Spot on

When I move out, I want a bar that looks like that in my house! lol

• Like 2

It's an amazing feeling.

00036458-Photo.png

Spot on

When I move out, I want a bar that looks like that in my house! lol

Well when they decide to turf this one out and upgarde to a new one, im sure they might accomidate you by giving it to you lol

• Like 1

I might add that the team Director for NYCFC said yesterday that he was "hopeful" in regards to signing Lampard..

Given how carefully all CFG minions chose their words I take it as "everything agreed but nothing signed"

• Like 1

Yeah I know. love the song so give me any reason to post it and I will :D

So according to SST the club is in the middle of an argument with the FFA about Lampard. Apparently the FFA are trying to block him just comming on a short loan deal rather than a Marquee. But the club is saying how can he be our Marquee if he is only here for X number of games etc etc. SST also said once you sign a marquee for the season, then thats it, no matter how many games they play

So according to SST the club is in the middle of an argument with the FFA about Lampard. Apparently the FFA are trying to block him just comming on a short loan deal rather than a Marquee. But the club is saying how can he be our Marquee if he is only here for X number of games etc etc. SST also said once you sign a marquee for the season, then thats it, no matter how many games they play

The FFA have only themselves to blame for this by allowing loan players in the first place and as late as last season with Rogic

The FFA have only themselves to blame for this by allowing loan players in the first place and as late as last season with Rogic

Wasn't Behich here on loan too? And didn't someone post on the forum earlier suggesting that Bursaspor were paying most or even all of his salary? 

Why is it only now a problem? 

Wasn't Behich here on loan too? And didn't someone post on the forum earlier suggesting that Bursaspor were paying most or even all of his salary? 

Why is it only now a problem?

Well we are in a unique situation

Forgive my ignorance what is sst?

FFA has the whip hand. They have to approve all marquee players.

If the SST reports are true I'm not surprised.

Issue 1 was the colour of our jerseys.

Issue 2 appears to be bringing a top-quality player to the club and the league.

There will be more issues as CFG keep the pressure on to realise the full value of their investment. It has to happen if the league and the game is going to grow in this country.