Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

So this is the club's first press conference, eh? I'm not even sure we had a press conference for a sponsorship announcement and/or a new kit over the past 3 seasons (we maybe had a presser for one of those things in our first season, I can't remember).

Very much like the old administration to have an event like this, and not a whole lot like a new bling 'Melbourne City'.

Maybe there will be a mythical Thursday announcement this week. That the club chose to make this announcement today suggests that they waited until the World Cup died down a little bit before making announcements. So perhaps we'll get a more exciting announcement after the mid-week semi-finals.

So this is the club's first press conference, eh? I'm not even sure we had a press conference for a sponsorship announcement and/or a new kit over the past 3 seasons (we maybe had a presser for one of those things in our first season, I can't remember).

Very much like the old administration to have an event like this, and not a whole lot like a new bling 'Melbourne City'.

Maybe there will be a mythical Thursday announcement this week. That the club chose to make this announcement today suggests that they waited until the World Cup died down a little bit before making announcements. So perhaps we'll get a more exciting announcement after the mid-week semi-finals.

They'll probably be forced to make the Lampard announcement after the paparazzi snap pics of him training with Melbourne City in Manchester  ;)

Murf. IMO they did it today because the team is travelling to Manchester tonight.

But overall - after so much rumour about Lampard, a complete anti-climax. Who said Melbourne Heart is dead? Reminds me of the "bigger than Harry Kewell" announcement.

But I'm just a bitter and twisted old cynic from way back!

Etihad named as @MelbourneCity shirt sponsor for 5 years. Believed to be most lucrative shirt deal in #aleague history

Since the principles in the deal are brothers, it's not especially relevant.

Who cares? you have an aversion to a LOT more dosh flowing into the club?

The Sheikh is essentially paying himself.

Murf. IMO they did it today because the team is travelling to Manchester tonight.

But overall - after so much rumour about Lampard, a complete anti-climax. Who said Melbourne Heart is dead? Reminds me of the "bigger than Harry Kewell" announcement.

Hang on. How can you blame the club for journalists speculating?

Exactly, Lampard has been all speculation. The club could have ruled it out ages ago, but to be fair it's not really in their interest to do so. If the media and public are talking about us in regards to landing a supestar it only makes their actual announcement even more intriguing. 

The club knows when they are letting journalists on (and maybe consciously do so, to get the press). The first time the club was linked with Lampard the club denied it less than 24 hours later (remember the statement "absolutely no foundation"?).

Whereas last week "On Tuesday, the club declined to dismiss the prospect, saying only they would not comment on speculation. "

I still think there's a chance for us to get Lampard. The odds haven't exactly gone up after this morning, though.  

What is clear, according to a current A-League Player, is that you can't have 2 guest players at the same time. 

So the negotiation will either be with (a) the FFA to have 2 guest players at the same time, or (b ) with Lampard to make him the International Marquee for the entire season. 

Edited by biancorosso7

What is clear, according to a current A-League Player, is that you can't have 2 guest players at the same time.

So the negotiation will either be with (a) the FFA to have 2 guest players at the same time, or (b ) with Lampard to make him the International Marquee for the entire season.

Or © he comes to us on loan from NYCFC until they want him for preseason.

• Like 1

Melbourne City tight-lipped on Lampard

By Iain Strachan

07/07/2014 12:58:00 PM

The club have offered little indication of whether or not the Premier League and Champions League winner will be arriving in Australian football next season

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn has refused to buy into speculation surrounding the potential signing of Frank Lampard and also attempted to play down the negative consequences of rebranding the club.

Former England and Chelsea man Lampard has been widely tipped to follow the example set by David Villa, who will spend several months on loan at City before linking up with New York City FC ahead of the 2015 Major League Soccer campaign.

Lampard, who left Chelsea at the end of 2013-14 following a glittering career at Stamford Bridge, is expected to sign for the MLS newcomers, but would face a long wait to make his professional debut for the club, who do not enter the United States' top flight competition until next year.

And while a temporary stay in the A-League would appear the logical solution for the 36-year-old, Munn was noncommittal on the issue ahead of the team's departure for a training camp hosted by parent club Manchester City.

"As a standard rule we don't comment on any media speculation," he said.

"But if, since January when CFG (City Football Group) acquired us, if we'd signed every player linked to us we'd have 60 players flying with us tonight. For us, we're really happy with how our list is coming together and really looking forward to a couple of weeks (of) pre-season."

Speaking at the announcement of a new major sponsorship arrangement with Etihad Airways, Munn dismissed suggestions the club, in changing their name and logo, had paid a price for commercial success.

"Not at all," he said when questioned on the decision of the Yarraside active supporter group to formally disband following the name change.

"It's (the rebrand) been wonderfully well received. We've got an active supporter group that have already rebranded themselves. I think what we've developed is a brand that incorporates the past and looks forward to the future. And that's really what this is about. Being able to fulfil our potential."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2014/07/07/4941531/melbourne-city-tight-lipped-on-lampard

Edited by Murfy1

You are quite correct. It was - and still is - speculation. But I'd say most would have thought the PC was going to be more than it was.

No press conference and these guys 'don't communicate', a press conference and it's a let down. Oh please. Everything is ticking over nicely everyone here needs to stop over analysing everything. Kits look great they have hosed down speculation on Franky after getting some media mileage out of it. Move along nothing to see here. He may still come or he may not, I'm not sure it matters that much(I'd love to see him and he would be a great signing but I'm sure there are other irons in the fire). I think the overall direction taken so far would suggest we are in good hands and there is more good news to come. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3