Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

I'm pretty sure Ibini won't play, if you read Graham Arnold's full statement on him:

"Because of the timing, I won't be taking any risks at all with players so we've got a number of players that are out for tomorrow's game," Arnold said. "The list is quite high. In the front line, Janko, Brosque, Smeltz. I've got to see how Bernie Ibini pulled up after last night, I thought he was only going to play 45 [minutes] but he ended up playing 70. It's a question of whether I take a risk of playing a player 48 hours after the game last night when he's not 100 per cent fit physically, so those guys are out."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-fields-threadbare-attack-against-unknown-melbourne-city-20140811-102uoy.html

Serbian midfielder Milos Dimitrijevic is also in doubt after tweaking his quad muscle during training.

And apparently Arnold has seen zero video football of our team this pre-season.

I'm also pretty sure Williams will start, after JVS' first response about Williams when asked if he'll play tomorrow was "David Williams is not a problem", and all JVS said much more suggests that Williams will start than not. Here's the video interview with JVS today BTW: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/news-vant-schip-ready-for-ffa-cup-test/nauil2r7o7ep13hezqjln4imk

So given how the teams are shaping up, things are looking pretty good for us tomorrow.

Well safe travel on the return leg for all those making the trip and not overnighting in Ballarat.  Fair chance of ice on the roads (especially if its a late one - ie pens) I would have thought.

I assume the FFA are doing the right thing and flying in "corndog" and his 2 mates to call the stream?  Waiting expectantly for the sliced cheese to appear.....

I'm pretty sure Ibini won't play, if you read Graham Arnold's full statement on him:

"Because of the timing, I won't be taking any risks at all with players so we've got a number of players that are out for tomorrow's game," Arnold said. "The list is quite high. In the front line, Janko, Brosque, Smeltz. I've got to see how Bernie Ibini pulled up after last night, I thought he was only going to play 45 [minutes] but he ended up playing 70. It's a question of whether I take a risk of playing a player 48 hours after the game last night when he's not 100 per cent fit physically, so those guys are out."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-fields-threadbare-attack-against-unknown-melbourne-city-20140811-102uoy.html

Serbian midfielder Milos Dimitrijevic is also in doubt after tweaking his quad muscle during training.

And apparently Arnold has seen zero video football of our team this pre-season.

I'm also pretty sure Williams will start, after JVS' first response about Williams when asked if he'll play tomorrow was "David Williams is not a problem", and all JVS said much more suggests that Williams will start than not. Here's the video interview with JVS today BTW: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/news-vant-schip-ready-for-ffa-cup-test/nauil2r7o7ep13hezqjln4imk

So given how the teams are shaping up, things are looking pretty good for us tomorrow.

So Gameiro is the only forward they can play then? Unless they have a youth forward I have no idea about but either way, that bodes extremely well for us.

I still wouldn't underestimate Sydney though as their defence is quite sound (although both keepers are average admittedly) and they could pinch it if we don't perform. On paper though, we should be win this but we all know football isn't played on paper! 

I'm just so bloody excited to finally watch us play a competitive fixture  :wub:

Well safe travel on the return leg for all those making the trip and not overnighting in Ballarat.  Fair chance of ice on the roads (especially if its a late one - ie pens) I would have thought.

I assume the FFA are doing the right thing and flying in "corndog" and his 2 mates to call the stream?  Waiting expectantly for the sliced cheese to appear.....

Yes, this is a very good point, thanks for the reminder.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

What do people think our predicted line up will be?

Im going

Redders

Hoff- Kisnorb - Robbie - Benny G

Murdocca - Kalmar

Mate - Mooy- Duff

Williams

Yeah this is what I expect. 

It's exactly our starting XI in our game against Bolton, although Ramsay started as LB there instead of Garuccio. But given that Garuccio played there several times under JVS towards the end of last season, I expect him to get the nod.

The curious thing with the Bolton game was that Velaphi started over Redmayne. I think that's the most contested spot, and I think Velaphi is a good chance to start over Redmayne tomorrow, although it was perhaps the case that Velaphi was played because it was pre-season and those games weren't competitive, and Redders, seemingly our no 1, will start our first competitive match tomorrow.

I think Germano is a dark horse to start. JVS seems to rate him, so there's maybe a chance Germano could start over Kalmar and alongside Murdocca, like we saw many times under JVS last season.

All up, this line up should be pretty well-drilled, and ready to do damage tomorrow. And our new additions of Mooy and Duff should add a lot to the team as well.

Edited by Murfy1

The march to the ground needs to make a detour to the local Maxi Foods. Everyone to throw a barrage of Kraft Singles on the pitch when Sydney get a yellow.

It’s a clash of A-League’s bling kings when Melbourne City and Sydney FC go head to head in FFA Cup

August 11, 2014

SO far the new FFA Cup has been all about the minnows, but now a clash of the giants. The richest and most glamorous club in Australian football taking on Sydney FC.

Yes, it is still a touch facetious to suggest the once tiny and unloved Melbourne City (nee Heart) now rocks the A-League bling despite its off-season Sheikh-up. The takeover by Manchester City’s squillionaire Abu Dhabi owners.

Especially when you pay a visit to Melbourne City’s still modest training venue in the backblocks of Latrobe University on a cold, damp midwinter’s day. There the old concrete sheds and a now abandoned pothole filled pitch on which the club trained last season are stark reminders of humble beginnings.

But when the players jog from one of three freshly laid pitches — the first benefit of new-found prosperity — and fulfil the club ritual of shaking hands with everyone on the sidelines, you get some idea of how much things have changed.

“Hi, it’s Damien,’’ says Damien Duff. As if the Irishman needs any introduction after more than 400 games in a 17 year Premier League career.

“Hello, (I’m) Rob,’’ says Robert Koren, the Slovenian marquee signing whose last game was also in the Premier League with Hull City, and who arrived in Melbourne last week.

Turn up in October and you might get: “Hola, I’m David.’’ That would be David Villa, the Spanish superstar who will play ten games on loan from the City Group’s New York franchise.

Although some fans (and, embarrassingly, even media) threw themselves at the feet of visiting Juventus, Australian football no longer suffers a cultural cringe. We are sophisticated enough to call Alessandro Del Piero Al.

But despite the misgivings of some — including Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger — about the new world of “franchise players’’, the City Group’s global footballing network will allow Melbourne City to field a team of head-turning international experience.

For those such as defender Jason Hoffman, who was with Melbourne Heart from day one, this presents both an opportunity and a challenge. Better facilities and high-profile teammates, but also massive expectations and perhaps even a fight to keep your spot.

“I used to watch him playing at Chelsea and Fulham, seeing him tear up teams week after week,’’ says Hoffman nodding toward Duff. “To be on the same training park as him, we are trying to learn from him and how he prepares and the kind of expectations he has.’’

Melbourne City spent 17 days at Manchester City’s Carrington training ground changing in the same sheds, working out on the same pitches and eating in the same cafeteria used by the EPL champions.

Hoffman was impressed by the way the newest member of the growing ‘’City family’’ was embraced by its big brother, and by facilities in which “they do every possible to make your life easier as a footballer’’.

Although as sumptuous as Carrington seemed for Melbourne players used to training on their windswept park and converting wheelie bins into ice baths, this was merely Manchester City’s superseded facility.

Carrington will soon be replaced by the massive City Academy where the club’s various squads will be united in a lavish 200 million pound establishment with features 16 pitches and a full-scale indoor area where match tactics can be replicated.

“You could only dream of what they’re doing there,’’ says Hoffman who with his teammates toured the academy which includes accommodation where Manchester City players will stay before games, before travelling through a tunnel to the sheds at Etihad Stadium.

Melbourne City is planning to build its own somewhat more modest version featuring a youth academy. The location has not yet been determined.

Before then the club needs to add credibility to the headlines that accompanied the Manchester City takeover by achieving results that will attract crowds far larger than the 6000 to 8000 that watched the Heart in a city dominated by Melbourne Victory.

That starts in Ballarat on Tuesday night against Sydney FC — a club that knows all about lavish spending and grand expectations.

“It’s a challenge to raise our standards day in day out, we’re reminded of that every day,’’ says Hoffman. “It’s a sense of ‘This is business this time around’ and understanding what it means to play under the City banner. The expectation will be high and if we don’t lift to that standard we’ll know about it.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/its-a-clash-of-aleagues-bling-kings-when-melbourne-city-and-sydney-fc-go-head-to-head-in-ffa-cup/story-e6frf423-1227021061818?from=public_rss&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed&nk=a7e3e7765ea645e768a2c9b0c7c0ae00

It’s a clash of A-League’s bling kings when Melbourne City and Sydney FC go head to head in FFA Cup

August 11, 2014

SO far the new FFA Cup has been all about the minnows, but now a clash of the giants. The richest and most glamorous club in Australian football taking on Sydney FC.

Yes, it is still a touch facetious to suggest the once tiny and unloved Melbourne City (nee Heart) now rocks the A-League bling despite its off-season Sheikh-up. The takeover by Manchester City’s squillionaire Abu Dhabi owners.

Especially when you pay a visit to Melbourne City’s still modest training venue in the backblocks of Latrobe University on a cold, damp midwinter’s day. There the old concrete sheds and a now abandoned pothole filled pitch on which the club trained last season are stark reminders of humble beginnings.

But when the players jog from one of three freshly laid pitches — the first benefit of new-found prosperity — and fulfil the club ritual of shaking hands with everyone on the sidelines, you get some idea of how much things have changed.

“Hi, it’s Damien,’’ says Damien Duff. As if the Irishman needs any introduction after more than 400 games in a 17 year Premier League career.

“Hello, (I’m) Rob,’’ says Robert Koren, the Slovenian marquee signing whose last game was also in the Premier League with Hull City, and who arrived in Melbourne last week.

Turn up in October and you might get: “Hola, I’m David.’’ That would be David Villa, the Spanish superstar who will play ten games on loan from the City Group’s New York franchise.

Although some fans (and, embarrassingly, even media) threw themselves at the feet of visiting Juventus, Australian football no longer suffers a cultural cringe. We are sophisticated enough to call Alessandro Del Piero Al.

But despite the misgivings of some — including Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger — about the new world of “franchise players’’, the City Group’s global footballing network will allow Melbourne City to field a team of head-turning international experience.

For those such as defender Jason Hoffman, who was with Melbourne Heart from day one, this presents both an opportunity and a challenge. Better facilities and high-profile teammates, but also massive expectations and perhaps even a fight to keep your spot.

“I used to watch him playing at Chelsea and Fulham, seeing him tear up teams week after week,’’ says Hoffman nodding toward Duff. “To be on the same training park as him, we are trying to learn from him and how he prepares and the kind of expectations he has.’’

Melbourne City spent 17 days at Manchester City’s Carrington training ground changing in the same sheds, working out on the same pitches and eating in the same cafeteria used by the EPL champions.

Hoffman was impressed by the way the newest member of the growing ‘’City family’’ was embraced by its big brother, and by facilities in which “they do every possible to make your life easier as a footballer’’.

Although as sumptuous as Carrington seemed for Melbourne players used to training on their windswept park and converting wheelie bins into ice baths, this was merely Manchester City’s superseded facility.

Carrington will soon be replaced by the massive City Academy where the club’s various squads will be united in a lavish 200 million pound establishment with features 16 pitches and a full-scale indoor area where match tactics can be replicated.

“You could only dream of what they’re doing there,’’ says Hoffman who with his teammates toured the academy which includes accommodation where Manchester City players will stay before games, before travelling through a tunnel to the sheds at Etihad Stadium.

Melbourne City is planning to build its own somewhat more modest version featuring a youth academy. The location has not yet been determined.

Before then the club needs to add credibility to the headlines that accompanied the Manchester City takeover by achieving results that will attract crowds far larger than the 6000 to 8000 that watched the Heart in a city dominated by Melbourne Victory.

That starts in Ballarat on Tuesday night against Sydney FC — a club that knows all about lavish spending and grand expectations.

“It’s a challenge to raise our standards day in day out, we’re reminded of that every day,’’ says Hoffman. “It’s a sense of ‘This is business this time around’ and understanding what it means to play under the City banner. The expectation will be high and if we don’t lift to that standard we’ll know about it.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/its-a-clash-of-aleagues-bling-kings-when-melbourne-city-and-sydney-fc-go-head-to-head-in-ffa-cup/story-e6frf423-1227021061818?from=public_rss&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed&nk=a7e3e7765ea645e768a2c9b0c7c0ae00

By the standard Hoffman refers to I expect us to win 5 nil

Alot of people also commented how sharp and quick willo was sunday night. You would think this is because of Manchester, which means the rest of the squad should be the same. 

saw Nicky Kalmar at the pub on friday before the richmond game and after asking him about the trip to Manchester he told me that they didnt do all that much intensive training due to the three games played over a short time.

10 am thursday.

but no

Sydney FC head coach Graham Arnold says he won’t risk his new marquee signing Marc Janko when the Sky Blues play Melbourne City in the FFA Cup tonight.

The Austrian striker signed with Sydney on July 31 and has only been in Australia for two weeks.

Arnold told FourFourTwo he won’t jeopardise any players susceptible to injury by giving them a run in the Cup.

Bernie Ibini and Ali Abbas were in the All-Stars squad against Juventus and are also likely to miss the match.

“It’s going to be a good test for us to see where we’re at, at the moment,” Arnold said with Alex Brosque also reportedly out.

“Of course the Cup is important, but for us and the process we’re going through my eyes are on the (A-League).

“I might risk players for important games, but for this one because we’re still two months out there’s no way.”

“(Marc Janko) is coming along well but … he’s only been in the country for 10 days.”

Arnold said it was the same for anyone carrying a slight injury.

“Pre-season is immensely important for every player,” he said.

“If they miss the pre-season then there’s a good chance that they’re behind the eight ball all season.

“We’ve got to make sure the players that are available are fit and ready to go.”

thats a 442 article.

Edited by Dylan

10 am thursday.but no 

Sydney FC head coach Graham Arnold says he won’t risk his new marquee signing Marc Janko when the Sky Blues play Melbourne City in the FFA Cup tonight.The Austrian striker signed with Sydney on July 31 and has only been in Australia for two weeks.Arnold told FourFourTwo he won’t jeopardise any players susceptible to injury by giving them a run in the Cup.Bernie Ibini and Ali Abbas were in the All-Stars squad against Juventus and are also likely to miss the match.“It’s going to be a good test for us to see where we’re at, at the moment,” Arnold said with Alex Brosque also reportedly out.“Of course the Cup is important, but for us and the process we’re going through my eyes are on the (A-League).“I might risk players for important games, but for this one because we’re still two months out there’s no way.”“(Marc Janko) is coming along well but … he’s only been in the country for 10 days.”Arnold said it was the same for anyone carrying a slight injury.“Pre-season is immensely important for every player,” he said.“If they miss the pre-season then there’s a good chance that they’re behind the eight ball all season.“We’ve got to make sure the players that are available are fit and ready to go.”

thats a 442 article. I'm pretty sure we got told this yesterday