Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

Still much better than what Bray Wanderers would offer him.. :huh:

Was just about to say that! At first I thought he must have been the marquee, but the more I consider the circumstances (linked to Bray, low wages in the League of Ireland) the more convinced I am that he'll be under the cap. 

Hopefully he is. I agree with others that have said he'd be a brilliant signing as long as he's not on marquee wages.

Been a big fan of Duff since watching him in the 2002 world cup and have followed his (substantial) achievements ever since.  Despite being a huge fan I have a few reservations about being linked with him, given his age and injury concerns.   I'm sure he could still cut it in the A League, but he would be yet another short term signing. 

Shahanga.. Some clubs like for instance Barcelona have this idea that a team need 5-6 quality core players and than you let youngsters compete for the other spots.. How possible is such a scenario with Melbourne do you reckon?

Given the input from Soriano and Txiki I mean, they did practically run Barcelona during the glory years when the system worked beautifully..

Shahanga.. Some clubs like for instance Barcelona have this idea that a team need 5-6 quality core players and than you let youngsters compete for the other spots.. How possible is such a scenario with Melbourne do you reckon?

Given the input from Soriano and Txiki I mean, they did practically run Barcelona during the glory years when the system worked beautifully..

Fair point.  I guess i was thinking we'd want to get 2 seasons at least though.  Wonder if he has that left?  Don't suppose you saw many Fulham games this year?  Didn't really watch them play at all this year, so can't comment.

Fair point. I guess i was thinking we'd want to get 2 seasons at least though. Wonder if he has that left? Don't suppose you saw many Fulham games this year? Didn't really watch them play at all this year, so can't comment.

When duff played, he was one of the better players in an aweful Fulham side

Wouldn't have been long ago we would be all over the moon at getting Duff as a marquee. Now the thought of him as a marquee is a huge disappointment.

Salary cap is only $2.55m, giving him $500k takes a lot out of it, but we have signed a few cheap guys so it's quite possible. Maybe he'll be on even less.

I honestly can't see Duff being under the cap. Why would someone who last year earning around $4 million in arguably the worlds best league, then next season go to a club in Australia on a salary of roughly $500,000 with just 7000 members. Makes no sense to me.

I bloody hope I'm wrong.

Have you ever been to St Kilda or Bondi?

Chasing the Australian Sun is the number one past time for most Irishmen.

They could have named a 37year old... People would still try and find a positive out of it.

We need Adelaide's scouts.

And on the contrary, some people are negative kents that always find a problem with something. These people are often the miserable ones in life.

Relax, these guys have a much better and more qualified view than anyone on here.

Do not want. Why wouldn't we go for a young up and coming City player that needs to strengthen up and get a few games under his belt? Someone who could make the transition to Nycfc or mcfc

Because a player that would come here under those circumstances wouldn't even be half the player Damien Duff is, as well as being an unknown compared to a fairly recognised name to most football fans in the country.

Not saying that he will get paid $500k (seems a bit much for one player to be getting 20% of the salary cap), but if he did it'll only be half a season, right? ;-)

So he won't be going from $4m to $0.5m, technically he's going from $4m to $1m...

or

He is in fact on $500k for the season, but will only get paid $250k for working only half the season.

Jurgen klinsmann played for free when he left Europe for California.. He simply missed playing games and enrolled with a local team under an assumed name :lol:
Look up the story of "Jay Goppingen" playing for Orange County Blue Stars in USA if you like.

Jurgen klinsmann played for free when he left Europe for California.. He simply missed playing games and enrolled with a local team under an assumed name :lol:

Look up the story of "Jay Goppingen" playing for Orange County Blue Stars in USA if you like.

someone must have recognised him because of his regular diving :)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-Signs-Duff-Extends-Mauk-and-Garuccio-Contracts/90797

Melbourne City FC Signs Duff, Extends Mauk and Garuccio Contracts
Tuesday, 10 June 2014 1:21 PM

email.png

00090797-leadimage.png

Melbourne City FC today announced that it has signed former Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff on a one-year deal for the forthcoming Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season.

Additionally, Melbourne City has confirmed that it has secured two of its promising young players on extended contracts, ensuring the Club continues to nurture Australia’s best young talent.

Midfielder Stefan Mauk has extended his deal at Melbourne City until the end of the 2015/16 season, while left-sided utility Benjamin Garuccio has signed for an additional two years; until the conclusion of the 2016/17 season.

Duff joins ahead of the 2014/15 campaign as Melbourne City’s 18th confirmed squad member.

An icon of modern Irish football, Duff made 100 appearances for his country and captained the Irish national team during the UEFA Euro 2012 competition.

At club level, Duff lifted the League Cup with Blackburn Rovers, won two Premier League titles and another League Cup with Chelsea before transferring to Newcastle United and later to Fulham, where he played in the 2010 UEFA Europa League Final.

Head Coach John van’t Schip said Duff’s vast experience in England would be integral to the team and would assist in the development of the squad’s young players.

“We’re excited to have a player of Damien’s quality and experience for this season. We believe he can offer international standard quality on the pitch and will also be a great professional example for our younger players,” van’t Schip said.

“His career speaks for itself. He has achieved almost everything at club level and has been a great player at an international level too. He comes to us straight from the English Premier League with Fulham, so he has been playing at the highest level against top teams and top players.

“When we met with Damien, he was excited about the opportunity here and keen to work with us to help make this project a success.”

Mauk and Garuccio both signed with the Club 2012 and their continued development at senior level has earned them regular call-ups for the Young Socceroos.

“Ben and Stef have worked hard for us and are two of the A-League’s exciting young players,” van’t Schip said. “We hope these players will learn a lot from the likes of Damien both on and off the pitch about what it takes to perform at the highest level as a professional footballer.”

Duff will be Melbourne City’s third “VISA” player for the 2014/15 season, with the Club permitted two more VISA players, including an international marquee. He is due to join his new teammates in July.

In total the Club has five further players it can sign to complete its 23-man squad with an additional (24th) guest player also permitted to play in up to ten games. Melbourne City last week announced David Villa will join the Club for a period of the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season.

Permanent playing squad signed for 2014/15 to date (18 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Player Details
Damien Duff
DOB: 2 March 1979 (age 35)
Place of birth: Ballyboden, Dublin, Ireland
Position: Winger
Appearances: Blackburn Rovers [1996-2003] (184 apps, 27 goals), Chelsea [2003-2006] (81, 14), Newcastle United [2006-2009] (69, 5), Fulham [2009-2014] (119, 15)
International: Ireland [1998-2012] (100, 8)
Contract details: One-year contract (until end Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season)

Player Details
Stefan Mauk
DOB: 12 October 1995 (18)
Place of birth: Bedford Park, Australia
Position: Midfielder
Appearances: (17, 0)
International: Australia U-20 (3,0), Australia U-23 (4,0)
Contract details: One-year contract extension (until end Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

Player Details
Benjamin Garuccio
DOB: 15 June 1995 (18)
Place of birth: Adelaide, Australia
Position: Left Winger/Left Back
Appearances: (17, 0)
International: Australia U-20 (6, 0)
Contract details: Two-year contract extension (until end Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season)

• Like 2