Melbourne Football

David Villa

kingofhearts

Why can't they just put the real kit on him? How hard can it be to mail one out to NYC and take one photo? 

Has Villa even mentioned our club by name yet, or even actually acknowledged that he is coming to our country  other than statements like "I will get the rust out". 

It's starting to feel like nobodies told him that he is coming yet.

*I realise he did appear in that video and in a Melbourne City shirt but apart from that nothing.  

He knows he is coming, he is on a break/ holiday/ NYCFC promotional tour at the moment, expect to see a lot of of him when he arrives early September, as for the shirt, cost less to Photoshop and it is a faster means than sending a shirt to him. I'm actually intrigued as to how many games he will play, i'm going out on a limb to say 3-7 games, i'd expect he would play round 1, our first official home game against the jets and the derby in round 3 as too how many games after that, could be anyone's guess.

Edited by drewmelbcity

The more I think about the Villa situation the less it concerns me on how many and when he plays if at all. Without doubt he will be the greatest player to play in this country and still in his relative prime. If he plays round 1 will be a bonus if he doesn't then smashing Sydney without him will be all the sweeter. What concerns me more who will take Williams spot when his form/consistency drops. Villa would be perfect to remove pressure from Williams to deliver but without another quality striker I'm worried.  

Yeahh he is going to get here underdone. JVS did say he won't play him if he issnt match fit. I hope he plays him and he gets injured

Just so I read this correctly you "hope Villa gets injured"???

It would be the most moronic idea if he wasn't to play the season opener we need to get off to a winning start and we need a bloody back up striker to williams.

I can assume then that you feel that without Villa our ability to win is questionable? I have no doubt that jvs and the whole city group are setting the team up for success without Villa. He's just the icing on the cake and not the harry kewell 'saviour' of 2014/2015. I think with the squad we have and a more than likely Kennedy to be signing with us our ability to win is not questionable at all.

Yeahh he is going to get here underdone. JVS did say he won't play him if he issnt match fit. I hope he plays him and he gets injured

Yes, it was said in Jest. In all seriousness, Id say this was NYCFC's doing, to have him here so late.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

It would be the most moronic idea if he wasn't to play the season opener we need to get off to a winning start and we need a bloody back up striker to williams.

I can assume then that you feel that without Villa our ability to win is questionable? I have no doubt that jvs and the whole city group are setting the team up for success without Villa. He's just the icing on the cake and not the harry kewell 'saviour' of 2014/2015. I think with the squad we have and a more than likely Kennedy to be signing with us our ability to win is not questionable at all.

No i'm saying David Williams is not a striker that is going to strike fear into the opposition and not someone who I as a supporter of the club can feel to rely on to pose a threat week in week out but that is my opinion of Williams 

The more I think about the Villa situation the less it concerns me on how many and when he plays if at all. Without doubt he will be the greatest player to play in this country and still in his relative prime. If he plays round 1 will be a bonus if he doesn't then smashing Sydney without him will be all the sweeter. What concerns me more who will take Williams spot when his form/consistency drops. Villa would be perfect to remove pressure from Williams to deliver but without another quality striker I'm worried.  

Seems the club is letting the Villa situation slide a little. Could have been the basis of a big marketing push - perhaps it still will be? But Villa or no Villa, we need another quality central striker in the squad.

Any idea when the nycfc squad start their preseason?

I'm tipping they'll want him back for that entire time to train with the squad.

You'd hope CFG will try and maximize villas exposure here for the marketing value (and that includes getting him here with enough time to be fit enough for 10 games).

If he was still in Europe he'd be playing in a couple of weeks and would be back training by now, so it's not too much to get him here in September surely (it's not like his World Cup was long and grueling)

No i'm saying David Williams is not a striker that is going to strike fear into the opposition and not someone who I as a supporter of the club can feel to rely on to pose a threat week in week out but that is my opinion of Williams

I think his ability to put himself in so many positions to score would be a sure way of striking fear in his opposition. His finishing on the other hand may not be.

I think his ability to put himself in so many positions to score would be a sure way of striking fear in his opposition. His finishing on the other hand may not be.

"His finishing on the other hand may not be."  

That is when he strikes fear in the supporters like us!

• Like 1

2nd in the golden boot. The clubs highest scorer. First hatrick of the club

And where did that get us? Good stats on a bad team don't make you a good player.

There's a lot more to the game then what looks good on paper. Do you honestly think he is the second best striker in the league based on the golden boot standings?

2nd in the golden boot.

A quarter of his goals were pens (he scored 3 pens). So he scored 9 goals in open play, and he played in every game bar 1, so 9 over 26 games. Taggart, who scored 4 more goals than Williams overall, only scored 1 pen, and multiple golden boot contenders didn't take pens at all.  

Also, in recent seasons a 35 year old Daniel McBreen has won the A-League golden boot (with 17 goals), and Jeremy Brockie has finished 2nd in the running for a golden boot (with 16 goals). And Matt Simon must be one of the best strikers to ever grace the A-League, because he has finished 2nd for the A-League golden boot.   

So winning the golden boot in the A-League is nothing special, and coming 2nd in the running for the golden boot is particularly nothing special. It's just one statistic, and I can point to numerous other stats that point out Williams' numerous shortcomings. 

The clubs highest scorer. First hatrick of the club

So? Those points just say a lot about the club, and little about David Williams.

2nd in the golden boot.

A quarter of his goals were pens (he scored 3 pens). So he scored 9 goals in open play, and he played in every game bar 1, so 9 over 26 games. Taggart, who scored 4 more goals than Williams overall, only scored 1 pen, and multiple golden boot contenders didn't take pens at all.  

Not to mention that 3 of those 9 open play goals came in one game, which makes it 6 in 25 games.

It's been said before but if David Williams was perfect he wouldn't be playing in the A-League. That being said, take him for what he is - a flawed player that is still one of the better strikers in the competition.

This.

No one's saying he's brilliant, but he's an above average striker in this league. He's nowhere near as bad as some are making him out to be.

• Like 1

lol for the record I think Williams is a pretty good forward, and I'm glad that he re-signed with the club for multiple seasons (and signing inside the cap is very handy).

But I don't think he's the 2nd best striker in the league behind Berisha. I personally wouldn't have him in my top 5 strikers for next season, although ATM he probably makes my top ten.

I just remember Williams' first and second season with us vividly. But credit to him, he had a very good season last season, and probably deservedly won our player of the season award (although, as we all know, our team that finished last gave him limited competition).

It remains to be seen though if he'll show follow-through and back up last season with another impressive season in 2014-15. I'm fairly hopeful he'll match, or maybe slightly surpass, his efforts last season. But I'm still very keenly awaiting the club to sign another quality striker like Josh Kennedy (and maybe another striker as backup), to help out and complement Williams (and possibly make him even better than last season, and score even more goals next season).