Melbourne Football

***Help Keep the Red & White***

FB.

I agree that there will be some sort of compromise but how much....90/10, 80/20?? Whatever it is I think their going to make the kit where it makes those that are saying they will walk to think twice about leaving.

I dont think there will be red on the home kit besides something like i suggested. The clear synergy line the CFG used, I think is most telling in the direction they want to take us and new york.

I think what will stop people leaving is the players brought in, the style of play and the youth academy. The latter two would be going back to what the original heart was founded on.

Edited by Dylan

I'm pretty much at the acceptance stage of grief now, we've done all we can. 

Rather than being bitter about it, I'm going to wear my Heart shirt next season out of loyalty and hopefully watch some top quality football at the same time.

Whatever will be, will be I guess.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much at the acceptance stage of grief now, we've done all we can. 

Rather than being bitter about it, I'm going to wear my Heart shirt next season out of loyalty and hopefully watch some top quality football at the same time.

Whatever will be, will be I guess.

I'm kinda there too, been thinking about what approach do we take next. Hopefully we can get the message out to all our current STH to continue to wear red and white and take the cardiff approach while still being respectful to the owners. Who knows, maybe new fans that come along will join in on our cause. If all 7300 of us are there, we're still likely to be the majority of the people in the stadium.

Then instead of people from the outside right now saying "why not just switch them to sky blue" like almost every journo in Australia. Maybe they'll be saying "just switch them back to red and white if that's what the fans want".

If a miracle happens and we keep our red & white I will publicly apologize for using certain unsavory words I had used to describe city group.

Not only that...... But I will also swallow my pride and, and and and..... This will hurt a little......

I'm prepared to wear Manchester city sky blue scarf to one of the home games

I know next day this will feel like I'm back at high school social after getting drunk and having unprotected sex with a fat chick but I will do it

• Like 1

Perhaps. But away kit as suggested before might be the compromise and be red and white

This may seem strange to everyone else, but I would rather us not have our red and white stripes at all than have it as our away jersey. I'd rather go to a game in my 4 year old reebok stripes and have people think I was wearing our old home jersey, than have people think I was wearing our current away jersey. For me, it will always be our home jersey and I wouldn't want people to think otherwise.

• Like 1

I think if they change our colour to sky blue and we respond by wearing Red and White to home games that would have to have an impact. The ave crowd was 9800 for this season. Most games ~60-70% of the crowd in Red and White. That's 5000-6000 in supporter colours Red and White. Next season assuming similar attendance if 'only' ~4000 of those willing to turn up in supporter colours turn up in Red and White then a majority of those in colours will be Red and White. That's bad PR and image is key to business.

• Like 2

I think if they change our colour to sky blue and we respond by wearing Red and White to home games that would have to have an impact. The ave crowd was 9800 for this season. Most games ~60-70% of the crowd in Red and White. That's 5000-6000 in supporter colours Red and White. Next season assuming similar attendance if 'only' ~4000 of those willing to turn up in supporter colours turn up in Red and White then a majority of those in colours will be Red and White. That's bad PR and image is key to business.

It will look embarrassing to the new owners if red is still a dominant colour amongst the crowd.

• Like 1

What's that going to achieve tho? It's not like they'll change back.

If, and Im still a subscriber to whether that's an if in regards to the home strip, they change us to sky blue they won't be changing it back. End of story.

Once the call is made we live with it.

Many of us, me included will probably still wear our red and white but I think any sort of organised protesting will do more harm than good once the call has been made.

• Like 1

That doesnt work, people have been wearing red and white because they are the current club colours, besides a few on here I bet all those in the crowd will wear the club colours again next season what ever they are. Besides, if we get a red and white away kit then there goes your 'image' problem.

They own the fkn club, when you by a red car and spray it blue is it a crime? No! You fkn own it. Go spend time with your family and stop crying over the red and white that produced nothing but poor results the last three seasons. City all we ask for is attractive football that comes with results, the rest is yours just make it happen. If ppl have a problem with the richest club saving us from embarising ourselves even more, then go start up a forum and call it Sooks Are Us!

Bobby-Hill-Shakes-Head-Bikes-Away-King-o

Clearly a glory hunter - not a Football Fan

• Like 2

I reckon let the public decide...and by public I mean only current and past members. We don't want Victards or WScumW skewing the results.

Similar thing to what FFA did with WSW, but use the 10-4-1 Rule.

Phase 1: Give us 10 home shirt, 10 Away shirts and 10 logo designs to choose from. The tops can range from our current red & white stripes to Man City's Sky blue and white shorts. (I guess these could be the same designs for both Home & Away).

Phase 2: The 4 most popular designs (both shirts and logos) are selected and opened to another vote.

Phase 3: The most popular design for our new design Home shirt, Away shirt and new Logo are selected and announced to go along with our new name.

Then you have member/fan involvement, which means greater fan satisfaction, greater fan participation and greater emotional attachment. This will then pay off next season when you have greater membership and crowd numbers because WE had some say in OUR clubs future (even if the majority may have picked a colour/design some of us don't like).

Other than WSW's success on the field I believe they have reached their membership cap because the fans were part of the initial set-up process. This allowed them to bond and connect emotionally with the club before they even played a game so I believe this would be a good way to go about it...(as long as it's all done legit).

FFA CEO David Gallop talks Socceroos, Matildas, the sale of Wanderers, the FFA board and grassroots football in a wide-ranging chat with FFA managing editor of digital Aidan Ormond.

[...]

The Manchester City buy-in to the A-League at Melbourne Heart is significant as we head into season 10. What have City indicated in terms of their vision for their club, where do you stand on their kit debate and is foreign ownership of our clubs something you support?

Firstly, it’s a significant show of faith in the A-League to have a club like that and its owners invest in our competition. They are very focused on the global nature of their business which puts us in one point of a triangle with Manchester City, New York and now Melbourne.

Our proximity and participation in Asian football is something they’ve emphasized as an attraction. And as we all know the game’s relationship with Asian football is at a point where the light seems to get brighter and brighter as the years go on and as people understand further the importance of that relationship at club and national level.

They’ve come in attracted to our competition being run with a set cost base in a salary cap system meaning they can control their playing roster costs. And salary caps are such an important part of the A-League and Australian sport generally given the number of codes and franchises.

And more and more we’re learning about the depths of their investment not only at the A-League level but player pathways and training centres which will benefit the game for years to come.

In terms of the current debate about their name and colours of their playing strip, that’s still a work in progress. We’ve obviously got a number of things to consider and we’ll work to find the right answer on that.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/gallop--%E2%80%9Cthese-are-our-breakthrough-years%E2%80%9D/90063

IIRC, didn't the FFA come out and state that one of the conditions of the Wanderers' sale is that there will be no change to their colours, logo or name?  

If so, and I believe it's the case, could this be the reason why any discussions about Man. City taking them over never progressed as they couldn't impose their branding over them.  Instead the FFA informed them of another club down south who may be more "open" to the idea.

Sounds a bit like Animal Farm to me where some clubs are more equal than others.  Nice to see where Melbourne Heart stands in the pecking order FFA  :up:

Edited by Semper Cor

If, and Im still a subscriber to whether that's an if in regards to the home strip, they change us to sky blue they won't be changing it back. End of story.

Many of us, me included will probably still wear our red and white but I think any sort of organised protesting will do more harm than good once the call has been made.

I'm still very hopeful we'll have red and white on our home strip, and if we do, it will be at least in part because supporters care enough to have done something about it.

However if we don't, and supporters just accept it and move on, I think I'll be just as disappointed in the club's supporters as with the owners. For me, this won't be the end of it. In the hypothetical event that the club replaces our colours with something completely different at our first home game next season, I'll either boycott or join whatever show of dissent is organised. And I'll expect plenty of others to do the same.

If the owners can't bring the club's current supporters with them, and they can't attract significant new members or supporters (which we know is difficult to do), their venture won't be successful. We matter. Anyway, I think they understand that and I think they will be true to their word of coming up with something that will satisfy most of us.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 3

Heart seems to be pretty much in limbo just at the moment, but I'm sure that we are going to hear a lot more once the season has officially ended.

Quite apart from the red-and-white issue I am disappointed at the lack of communications since the Player Awards night. It's another area where I'm hoping to see significant improvement in the future.

I'm still very hopeful we'll have red and white on our home strip, and if we do, it will be at least in part because supporters care enough to have done something about it.

However if we don't, and supporters just accept it and move on, I think I'll be just as disappointed in the club's supporters as with the owners. For me, this won't be the end of it. In the hypothetical event that the club replaces our colours with something completely different at our first home game next season, I'll either boycott or join whatever show of dissent is organised. And I'll expect plenty of others to do the same.

If the owners can't bring the club's current supporters with them, and they can't attract significant new members or supporters (which we know is difficult to do), their venture won't be successful. We matter. Anyway, I think they understand that and I think they will be true to their word of coming up with something that will satisfy most of us.

I tend to agree that MCFC is smart enough to understand that if they want to hit the ground running with a solid supporter base and active fans then all it needs to do is reach out to existing members and enter into a dialogue about name and colours and whatever else. However I can't see this really getting started until after the HAL grand final. It's simply a matter of waiting for some clear air and then being able to get the local football media, Davo and Lynchy who they have already greased up, to focus on our club rather than the HAL finals series.

• Like 1

Heart seems to be pretty much in limbo just at the moment, but I'm sure that we are going to hear a lot more once the season has officially ended.

Quite apart from the red-and-white issue I am disappointed at the lack of communications since the Player Awards night. It's another area where I'm hoping to see significant improvement in the future.

I think you'll find that most staff are having a few weeks break. I know they were worked pretty hard by City behind the scenes after the takeover.

...right now is the calm before the storm I reckon.

Side swiped the colours issue by just rambling on about the obvious stuff that had been covered many many times.

To me it is obvious that the colours will change. They are just side stepping the issue because they don't want to reveal it right now.

I think from day dot they intended to change the colours Agree, this whole thing is for show. Honestly people need to think about it, to buy the club Man City had to not only negotiate with the previous owners, but also with the FFA. I'm sure one of the first things they asked the FFA was "will we be able to change the name and colours", and the FFA, blinded by the benefits of Man City investing in the league, probably didn't hesitate to say yes. I very much doubt Man City would have bought us without the name/colour change in the bag.

For some reason I do still hold some hope that the colours won't change, and will do so until an announcement is made, but I know that hope isn't logical.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 4

Gerry Ryan is a member of the Bart Campbell group that has 20% of Heart. Campbell himself lives in the UK I think, but Gerry is a local boy. I wonder whether it would be worth sounding him out?

The analogy for Gerry would be if his cycling team GreenEDGE was bought by Sky Cycling, they renamed it and changed the colours and then tried to claim that it was still an Australian team because it still employed Australian riders.

Gerry Ryan is a member of the Bart Campbell group that has 20% of Heart. Campbell himself lives in the UK I think, but Gerry is a local boy. I wonder whether it would be worth sounding him out?

The analogy for Gerry would be if his cycling team GreenEDGE was bought by Sky Cycling, they renamed it and changed the colours and then tried to claim that it was still an Australian team because it still employed Australian riders.

Cycling doesn't work like that. He would laugh at you. People have the license and the name and colours based on the sponsors at the time. A good number of the pro teams have already changed this year from last years due to new sponsors. Some even change during the year. The make up of a cycling team is nothing like a football team. They are constantly changing. 

• Like 2

Yes, its an analogy not a similarity

Interesting.

a·nal·o·gy   [uh-nal-uh-jee]  Show IPA
noun, plural a·nal·o·gies.
a similarity between like features of two things, on which acomparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and apump.

similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problemand mine.

Just as a matter of curiosity (and remember, I'm new here), what if City decided to change the home colours to blue, perhaps make red and white the away strip, but kept the badge virtually (if not in its entirety) as is?

I suspect City wish to have all clubs under their banner (and there will be more down the line) in blue, but at the same time will not want to alienate the existing support to the extent that they (may) turn away.

Just as a matter of curiosity (and remember, I'm new here), what if City decided to change the home colours to blue, perhaps make red and white the away strip, but kept the badge virtually (if not in its entirety) as is?

I suspect City wish to have all clubs under their banner (and there will be more down the line) in blue, but at the same time will not want to alienate the existing support to the extent that they (may) turn away.

Mate you've got this backwards. We love the red and white stripes. Most of us couldn't give a toss about the badge.

• Like 2